PDA

View Full Version : Coach Vic Schaefer

jdelta02
04-09-2020, 08:15 AM
Best to Coach Schaefer and his family as they move forward. Texas is they're home, but they will always have that Miss. State connection.

fader2103
04-09-2020, 10:19 AM
In before Shotgun...

msbulldog
04-09-2020, 12:42 PM
I really appreciate what Vic did for our school and I wish him the best going forward. I hope he feels that he will be welcomed any time he wanted to come visit.

TheLostDawg
04-09-2020, 12:49 PM
Is dead to me

TheLostDawg
04-09-2020, 12:49 PM
When he retires then I'll reconsider. Same with Mullen

maroonmania
04-09-2020, 05:04 PM
When he retires then I'll reconsider. Same with Mullen

Mullen I could live with because our football program does have a ceiling when compared to the elite programs in the country. Our WBB program is at least a Top 5 program right now with a chance to win a NC next year. You aren't going to do better than that no matter where you go. Guess he is in love with Texas but moving right now doesn't make a lot of sense especially since its A&M's arch rival.

BrickCityDawgs
04-09-2020, 05:21 PM
Is dead to me

Thanks for your service. A coach leaves for another opportunity and he's dead to you.

MaroonFlounder
04-09-2020, 11:29 PM
Here's hoping Nikki can do what Vic couldn't. Win a Natty. And beat Texas and S. Carolina on the way to that championship.

Todd4State
04-10-2020, 12:09 AM
Mullen I could live with because our football program does have a ceiling when compared to the elite programs in the country. Our WBB program is at least a Top 5 program right now with a chance to win a NC next year. You aren't going to do better than that no matter where you go. Guess he is in love with Texas but moving right now doesn't make a lot of sense especially since its A&M's arch rival.

Dan was always going to leave us at some point. He had been trying for years. I don't think Dan hit our ceiling to be honest with you. Came close. The biggest thing he did and best thing to be honest was consistently beat teams he should beat. Problem is he rarely beat teams with better talent.

FISHDAWG
04-10-2020, 07:23 AM
I thank him and wish him well .... the only coach that I remember (with my limited memory) retiring at MSU was the Kang ...... there is a caveat - as long as no trouble blindsides us from unknown circumstances later on

DanDority
04-10-2020, 07:54 AM
Shoot, if you really want to know. I'm glad he's gone he choked away our best chance being up double digits at halftime against Notre Dame. We had them beat. But he goes into the stall and tries to let Big T win it win at that time she was not our best player. He'll never be able to win the Big one, write it down!

smootness
04-10-2020, 09:52 AM
Shoot, if you really want to know. I'm glad he's gone he choked away our best chance being up double digits at halftime against Notre Dame. We had them beat. But he goes into the stall and tries to let Big T win it win at that time she was not our best player. He'll never be able to win the Big one, write it down!

Lulz

basedog
04-10-2020, 09:59 AM
I thank him and wish him well .... the only coach that I remember (with my limited memory) retiring at MSU was the Kang ...... there is a caveat - as long as no trouble blindsides us from unknown circumstances later on

JWS also was headed to Pitt but there Pres stopped him from being HC there.

FISHDAWG
04-10-2020, 10:09 AM
JWS also was headed to Pitt but there Pres stopped him from being HC there.

you mean headed back there again AFTER us ? .... wasn't aware of that

basedog
04-10-2020, 10:16 AM
you mean headed back there again AFTER us ? .... wasn't aware of that

Yes, and I want to say after his first year or maybe second year. It was a done deal made by their AD.

TheLostDawg
04-10-2020, 02:36 PM
Dan was always going to leave us at some point. He had been trying for years. I don't think Dan hit our ceiling to be honest with you. Came close. The biggest thing he did and best thing to be honest was consistently beat teams he should beat. Problem is he rarely beat teams with better talent.

I agree. The year he left would have been the ceiling with him.

R2Dawg
04-10-2020, 09:48 PM
I appreciate all Vic did at MSU. Yes it hurts because we all felt like he was one of us, unlike Dan. Vic didn't waste our teams looking for other jobs like Dan did either. I think Vic leaving hurts worse due to what he did at MSU and how he carried the banner for State. It also hurt because it was the 2nd coach in 3 years to leave MSU after building something. Tough pill to swallow. I think WBB can continue to build.

Bothrops
04-10-2020, 10:41 PM

That was just the championship curse ****ing with us again.

maroonmania
04-11-2020, 01:23 PM
Yes, and I want to say after his first year or maybe second year. It was a done deal made by their AD.

As I alluded to earlier in the thread, although our football program is light years ahead of where it was in the early 90s, we will never be a destination job for an ambitious coach with no deep ties to MSU in football or men's basketball either. There is a glass ceiling for our football program and men's basketball program. Would be almost impossible for us to become an elite level program in either of those 2 sports big time sports. We can have specific years where we can be very, very good in those sports when things come together but not year in and year out like an elite program would be. However, in any other sport we can be elite and we can be a destination job. Absolutely no reason for Schaefer to have left what he had already built into a Top 5 national program other than a freakish desire to get back into the State of Texas. Our baseball program, with the new stadium, is definitely a Top 10 program at this point (if it wasn't before). We can be elite in any of the 'minor' sports with the right coach and be a destination job for that coach if they don't have deep ties to somewhere else that could pull them away. That is sort of what nags me about the Penson hire. She will never be a long time coach for us if she has Schaefer level success. If she does that, TN will come get her. Would have been much more likely that it could have been a destination job for Harris.

Dawg2003
04-11-2020, 01:32 PM
How do you know it would have been a long term position for Harris?

maroonmania
04-11-2020, 01:42 PM
How do you know it would have been a long term position for Harris?

Well I don't know but, for one thing, she is an alumnus of Arkansas Baptist, not Tennessee. And I said 'more likely', every individual is different in what career decisions they will make.

basedog
04-11-2020, 04:31 PM
I'm not worried right now about McCray, I bet she is all in about wanting to carry this program to a National Championship. Tn WBB is kinda like Indiana basketball with Knight, not sure Tn will find another Summit.