PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else surprised Vic hasn't put out the official "thank you" press release yet?

Irondawg
04-07-2020, 04:21 PM
Maybe he's waiting to see if Johnnie gets the job to include something about her and knowing he's leaving the program in good hands. That's the only thing I can think of unless he's just going to stay silent on it.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 04:28 PM
IDK. Something seems off.

Seems that either Vic had a problem at MSU that we were unaware of or he's a complete fraud, used car salesman that does the whole christian act to promote buy in.

It'll be interesting to see if he still plays that card at Texas, which has a different type of fan base than MSU, or if he just used that stuff to play to MSU fans

I'll be watching

Hambone
04-07-2020, 05:04 PM
It’s like Brian Hadad said on his pod this morning, the “We don’t have fans, we have family is BS.”

Every single coach would leave tomorrow if they could better their situation. And I’m willing to say over 90% of y’all would do the same thing.

What stinks is we bought in to everything that Vic said. He was our guy and was our best coach we ever had in any sport. It sucks that he’s gone.

shoeless joe
04-07-2020, 05:13 PM

Seems that either Vic had a problem at MSU that we were unaware of or he's a complete fraud, used car salesman that does the whole christian act to promote buy in.

It'll be interesting to see if he still plays that card at Texas, which has a different type of fan base than MSU, or if he just used that stuff to play to MSU fans

I'll be watching

I don’t feel he was utilizing religion solely for his benefit, as freeze did...but I always felt he was overly patronizing at times. He had his flaws but was one of our greatest coaches ever and I’m glad we had him and disappointed he left

StarkVegasSteve
04-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Something doesn't add up about all this. You don't buy a bunch of land and start construction on a multi million dollar house if you're going to just leave in a year. Especially if the money is the same. Something bigger is pulling him back to Texas other than just a chance to go home. We'll be interesting to see if anything ever comes out on it.

RocketDawg
04-07-2020, 05:48 PM
Something doesn't add up about all this. You don't buy a bunch of land and start construction on a multi million dollar house if you're going to just leave in a year. Especially if the money is the same. Something bigger is pulling him back to Texas other than just a chance to go home. We'll be interesting to see if anything ever comes out on it.

Maybe UT bought the house.

$3M is a significant investment even for Schaefer. It wouldn't be that big a deal for Saban (and I believe that UAT gives him a house anyway), but it's at least twice Shaefer's annual income.

Todd4State
04-07-2020, 06:06 PM
It’s like Brian Hadad said on his pod this morning, the “We don’t have fans, we have family is BS.”

Every single coach would leave tomorrow if they could better their situation. And I’m willing to say over 90% of y’all would do the same thing.

What stinks is we bought in to everything that Vic said. He was our guy and was our best coach we ever had in any sport. It sucks that he’s gone.

This is true- our fans and alumni want our coaches to be invested in MSU as much as we are but the reality is for most coaches unless it's someone like Cohen that actually went to school at MSU it's a job.

I don't know that the "We have fans we have family is BS" is true because we absolutely without a doubt have fans that treat or try to treat our players and coaches like they're family. I think it's good and bad. It's absolutely good that we have loyalty. I definitely think it can be bad at times because I think that attitude and mindset has also caused problems and maybe dare I say held us back at times? I'm thinking specifically about people begging Ron Polk to come back not once but twice and no doubt that absolutely hurt our program and when he left it made transitioning to Cohen VERY difficult because you had so many fans that put Polk on a pedestal despite the obvious flaws to the objective. And how many fans have followed Dak Prescott and go to Dallas Cowboys games to watch him play wearing MSU gear? I don't remember Ole Miss fans doing that for Eli. At least not to the degree that MSU fans did it with Dak.

It's certainly an interesting dynamic that I'm not sure exists at any other SEC school to the degree that it does at MSU. And I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying it's unique.

Todd4State
04-07-2020, 06:08 PM
Maybe UT bought the house.

$3M is a significant investment even for Schaefer. It wouldn't be that big a deal for Saban (and I believe that UAT gives him a house anyway), but it's at least twice Shaefer's annual income.

It's not like he can't sell the house and make the 3 million back. I mean, I can't imagine a brand new house would have a lot of depreciation.

Todd4State
04-07-2020, 06:12 PM
I don’t feel he was utilizing religion solely for his benefit, as freeze did...but I always felt he was overly patronizing at times. He had his flaws but was one of our greatest coaches ever and I’m glad we had him and disappointed he left

Freeze took a LOT of things out of the Bible WAY out of context. It's one thing to say "Praise the Lord and go Dawgs". It's another thing to basically say that you won a game and landed a recruit because God loves you more than your competitor- which is basically what Freeze was saying. All the while doing VERY OBVIOUSLY non-Biblical things.

I'm just saying that if you do go the Jesus Freak route you CAN NOT even have rumors of girls having sex with recruits after they have been hanging out at bars while participating in underage drinking. Among other things that we all know about that did Freeze in.

Hambone
04-07-2020, 06:21 PM
Sorry, Todd, you are 100% correct on the fans being family portion. I worded that badly. I guess what I should have said was we as fans look at it as family but the coaches do not, regardless of what they say.

ScoobaDawg
04-07-2020, 06:34 PM

I'll be watching

Look you can spew your shit.. but don't ever call Vic's Christianity into question. Too many people that know him closely will vouch for that.

And he did make a statement about MSU and you could see the emotion in his eyes.. in fact at times still saying our girls... this wasn't an answer change for him. It was in his virtual press conference yesterday.
Here is a transcript of that part by Robbie Faulk

https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/1247237686278197248

https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/1247237802468745221

https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/1247238323556487171

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 06:38 PM
Look you can spew your shit.. but don't ever call Vic's Christianity into question. Too many people that know him closely will vouch for that.

And he did make a statement about MSU and you could see the emotion in his eyes.. in fact at times still saying our girls... this wasn't an answer change for him. It was in his virtual press conference yesterday.
Here is a transcript of that part by Robbie Faulk

https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/1247237686278197248

https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/1247237802468745221

https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/1247238323556487171

Then something must have been wrong at MSU for him.

Something doesn’t add up. Just saying

I don’t buy his parent being buried 65 miles away as the reason.

ScoobaDawg
04-07-2020, 06:56 PM
Then something must have been wrong at MSU for him.

Something doesn’t add up. Just saying

I don’t buy his parent being buried 65 miles away as the reason.

Ugh... dude. think about where you live. Do you still live in MS..and if not why not... Maybe someone that grew up and spent the great majority of his life in tx.. felt it's a better fit for him and his family.

Medic601
04-07-2020, 07:07 PM
Something feels off about it for sure. Especially when Danberry talking about skeletons in closets are about to come out and quickly deleting the tweet. There is way more to this.

maroonmania
04-07-2020, 07:37 PM
Something feels off about it for sure. Especially when Danberry talking about skeletons in closets are about to come out and quickly deleting the tweet. There is way more to this.

Wow, hadn't heard about that, and that does add to the intrigue on what happened. I wonder if Bibby already jumping in the transfer portal (even before we name a coach) has anything to do with what Danberry tweeted?

Todd4State
04-07-2020, 07:40 PM
Sorry, Todd, you are 100% correct on the fans being family portion. I worded that badly. I guess what I should have said was we as fans look at it as family but the coaches do not, regardless of what they say.

I got you. I thought that was odd that Hadad would have that kind of a take especially after seeing how our fans act towards our players and coaches.

R2Dawg
04-07-2020, 08:20 PM

I'll be watching

I don't think Vic is a fraud. He is a real down to earth guy. His faith is real, He loved MSU, his team and the fanbase.

I said on another post, if you are from somewhere, there is a draw back home. I think he just saw the opportunity to go home. I did a similar move earlier in my career, not home but hour and half away after being several states away. I didn't want to leave, I loved it where I was but the rare opportunity came up and I couldn't pass on it.

Medic601
04-07-2020, 08:26 PM
Wow, hadn't heard about that, and that does add to the intrigue on what happened. I wonder if Bibby already jumping in the transfer portal (even before we name a coach) has anything to do with what Danberry tweeted?

If I had a clue how to post pictures, I would. I am new to this whole message board stuff but I have the screen shot. It was up about 15 minutes and deleted.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 08:55 PM
I don't think Vic is a fraud. He is a real down to earth guy. His faith is real, He loved MSU, his team and the fanbase.

I said on another post, if you are from somewhere, there is a draw back home. I think he just saw the opportunity to go home. I did a similar move earlier in my career, not home but hour and half away after being several states away. I didn't want to leave, I loved it where I was but the rare opportunity came up and I couldn't pass on it.

Not disagreeing with you but it feels like more than that.

There's something else to this.

klong-dog
04-07-2020, 09:13 PM
Something is definitely up. Ms Mary posted on Twitter, Vic's Facebook profile. Showing his current job and all his past stops. Mississippi state is the only thing not listed.

Dawg2003
04-07-2020, 09:23 PM
If I had a clue how to post pictures, I would. I am new to this whole message board stuff but I have the screen shot. It was up about 15 minutes and deleted.

I really want to see this Tweet.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 09:40 PM
Someone on Sixpack screenshot his FACEBOOK page and he’s removed ever working at MSU.

Again, something doesn’t pass the smell test here

hp22
04-07-2020, 09:45 PM
This entire thing just seems odd. I feel like I'm at a poker table with a low stack and just made a careless bet.

Randolph Dupree
04-08-2020, 06:08 AM
I'll get ripped for this but here's my two cents based off my personal experience. Vic always came off like a used car salesman to me, to the point where I've always been surprised at how well he recruits. I know to a degree that all of these guys are salesmen, but I spent time with Stans, Cannizzaro, Lemonis, Jackie and some other assistants that are great recruiters and Vic is the only one that made feel like I needed to wash my hands after (remember, I've been critical of Cann...he was a meat head and a liar but still likable). One time, I was seated next to Vic at a baseball game, 2016 I think, and he had several of the girls with him but was also recruiting so there was a recruit or two and their parents and I remember listening and thinking 'this guy is completely full of shit'. Anyway, the guy always had that TV evangelist air about him if you ask me, so nothing with him would surprise me. That being said, he did a hell of a job here and I fear we are going to take a step back.

msbulldog
04-08-2020, 06:22 AM
Something is definitely up. Ms Mary posted on Twitter, Vic's Facebook profile. Showing his current job and all his past stops. Mississippi state is the only thing not listed.

Not quite correct 7 years as head coach at Sam Houston State is not listed, did say he studied kinesiology at SHSU.

Dawg2003
04-08-2020, 06:38 AM
I'll get ripped for this but here's my two cents based off my personal experience. Vic always came off like a used car salesman to me, to the point where I've always been surprised at how well he recruits. I know to a degree that all of these guys are salesmen, but I spent time with Stans, Cannizzaro, Lemonis, Jackie and some other assistants that are great recruiters and Vic is the only one that made feel like I needed to wash my hands after (remember, I've been critical of Cann...he was a meat head and a liar but still likable). One time, I was seated next to Vic at a baseball game, 2016 I think, and he had several of the girls with him but was also recruiting so there was a recruit or two and their parents and I remember listening and thinking 'this guy is completely full of shit'. Anyway, the guy always had that TV evangelist air about him if you ask me, so nothing with him would surprise me. That being said, he did a hell of a job here and I fear we are going to take a step back.

I always thought he reminded me of a TV evangelist too. I never would have said that while he was here. My least favorite coach as far as personality. But obviously he was our best coach too. Just wasn't a big fan of how he came off.

basedog
04-08-2020, 06:48 AM
I read the 6 pack post about Vic and saw the tweet from Dansbury. I am confused like many about this tweet, also yes it is weird Vic didn't list Msu on his FB page but I could care less. He is gone and ain't coming back just like Dan. I thank him just like I did with Dan and I'm thankful for what he did at Msu.
In today's times with Coaches, it's a business, I hate we lost him for whatever reason but I also think his ego plays a big part of him going to "greener pastures". Texas is like that Beauty Queen that some think would be a dream wife, then they find out there is much drama involved and it ain't always about what is perceived on the outside.

Yes it is weird Vic is gone but to each their own, I love Msu way more than Vic or any Coach. Msu will survive and we will be ok in women's basketball, but maybe not consistently winning like the past 8 years, but maybe we win our first Natty also. Time will tell.

RogerWilco
04-08-2020, 07:05 AM
100% Randolph...if Vic even thinks you can help him, he’s a nice guy. If not, he is an arrogant jerk. I know this from personal experience in multiple settings, both professional and casual.

Excellent coach, just not this wonderful person above reproach he’s been made out to be. I’m not at all surprised he handled things the way he did either.

MetEdDawg
04-08-2020, 08:25 AM
Ugh... dude. think about where you live. Do you still live in MS..and if not why not... Maybe someone that grew up and spent the great majority of his life in tx.. felt it's a better fit for him and his family.

This is why shotgun is insufferable. He says kids should have loyalty to MS if they are from MS and stay in state.

But when Vic says he wants to go home and an opportunity comes up to be near his family and near where he was born, something must be up with MSU and Vic sucks.

Literally makes no sense. It's Shotguns schtick but he can't even stick to that.

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2020, 08:36 AM
This is why shotgun is insufferable. He says kids should have loyalty to MS if they are from MS and stay in state.

But when Vic says he wants to go home and an opportunity comes up to be near his family and near where he was born, something must be up with MSU and Vic sucks.

Literally makes no sense. It's Shotguns schtick but he can't even stick to that.

I find it amazing how quick people are to bash Starkville and MSU, when usually there is more to the story.

I'm not saying that he didn't want to go home. I'm simply saying there is more to this just like there is more to it with most of the recruit$ that leave the state.

There is more to this yet some just want to believe it's always about MSU's location or Starkville.

basedog
04-08-2020, 08:43 AM
I find it amazing how quick people are to bash Starkville and MSU, when usually there is more to the story.

I'm not saying that he didn't want to go home. I'm simply saying there is more to this just like there is more to it with most of the recruit$ that leave the state.

There is more to this yet some just want to believe it's always about MSU's location or Starkville.

I have to agree about "there is more yet" about Vic. It's no doubt he loves Texas. I wish him well!

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2020, 08:56 AM
I have to agree about "there is more yet" about Vic. It's no doubt he loves Texas. I wish him well!

I'm going to wait until the missing piece of evidence comes out before wishing him well.

It may take a month or so, but at some point it'll come out in the wash

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2020, 09:01 AM
My frustration with many MSU fans is that they are so quick to buy into the other's people's opinions on Starkville & the location of MSU that they just write every thing off as being due to that instead of there being more.

It happens every year with recruits, coaches, students, etc. They are so convinced that every place is better than Starkville that they immediately blame everything bad thing that happens on that instead of thinking more critically & attempting to find the real reason.

Is Austin, TX a cool town? yes, but it's also super liberal (which I'm assuming doesn't mesh with Vick's values) & I'm guessing Vick ain't mixing it up on 6th street at night.

Additionally, the man was building a mansion in Starkville & had already built a program. He traded both of those in to rebuild a program & be closer to his dead parents?

Doesn't add up to me. Sorry, I don't buy the entire Starkville & MSU sucks narrative. It just doesn't add up.

I'd be willing to bet an awful lot that there is more to this story. Sorry if that bugs the simplicity person that thinks our school & town suck

BeardoMSU
04-08-2020, 09:16 AM
My frustration with many MSU fans is that they are so quick to buy into the other's people's opinions on Starkville & the location of MSU that they just write every thing off as being due to that instead of there being more.

It happens every year with recruits, coaches, students, etc. They are so convinced that every place is better than Starkville that they immediately blame everything bad thing that happens on that instead of thinking more critically & attempting to find the real reason.

Is Austin, TX a cool town? yes, but it's also super liberal (which I'm assuming doesn't mesh with Vick's values) & I'm guessing Vick ain't mixing it up on 6th street at night.

Additionally, the man was building a mansion in Starkville & had already built a program. He traded both of those in to rebuild a program & be closer to his dead parents?

Doesn't add up to me. Sorry, I don't buy the entire Starkville & MSU sucks narrative. It just doesn't add up.

I'd be willing to bet an awful lot that there is more to this story. Sorry if that bugs the simplicity person that thinks our school & town suck

Relative to the rest of MS, Starkville is a fairly liberal college town, btw.

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2020, 09:27 AM
Relative to the rest of MS, Starkville is a fairly liberal college town, btw.

Not close to Austin, TX

Regardless, there's more to this story. Has to be.

It has very little to do with location if I had to guess. My guess is that Texas made a nice landing spot due to being home, but he really left because of something else

basedog
04-08-2020, 09:32 AM

I like Starkville as do many Msu fans, but many outside of Miss see it different, Schools all over the Sec and other place talk about Starkville to "their advantage", it is what it is. Not only Starkville but the whole state of Mississippi. I for one a long time ago couldn't wait to get out of Mississippi but when I was done with Coaching I couldn't wait to get back to "God's Country"!

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2020, 09:38 AM
I like Starkville as do many Msu fans, but many outside of Miss see it different, Schools all over the Sec and other place talk about Starkville to "their advantage", it is what it is. Not only Starkville but the whole state of Mississippi. I for one a long time ago couldn't wait to get out of Mississippi but when I was done with Coaching I couldn't wait to get back to "God's Country"!

Many of the people that say that have never visited Starkville or have a confirmation bias upon visiting Starkville.

For example: If you and I were going to see a movie that I had seen but you had not, & all I talked about was how bad the movie was before we started watching it, would you be more or less likely to like that movie?

Of course, you'd be more likely to not like it as people are easily impressionable.

It's the same thing in reverse, if I told you great this movie would be, you'd likely have a more favorable opinion of the movie.

If people spoke about Starkville like they do Oxford or Athens, I'm 100% sure that people that visited Starkville would have a greater opinion of it.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-08-2020, 09:51 AM
Maybe he's waiting to see if Johnnie gets the job to include something about her and knowing he's leaving the program in good hands. That's the only thing I can think of unless he's just going to stay silent on it.

F that whole fake family. There are some things that hopefully surface that will get everybody in agreement on that POS. I am glad he didn't say goodbye.

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2020, 09:56 AM
Fake wins in college sports

FISHDAWG
04-08-2020, 10:05 AM

I went through that exact same scenario after leaving Mississippi for over 31 years .... it's a powerful draw and I was thrilled to move back even if it was only for 4 years - now back in Atlanta because we needed to be closer to my wife's parents who are aging and in poor health

Dawg2003
04-08-2020, 10:20 AM
F that whole fake family. There are some things that hopefully surface that will get everybody in agreement on that POS. I am glad he didn't say goodbye.

Please let this stuff come to light. My thing with Vic is that he played the role of one of us. We knew Dan was an **shole, and he never tried to pretend like he was gonna stay here.

klong-dog
04-08-2020, 10:35 AM
Yep. He has changed his Facebook info and has included now, fwiw.

StarkVegasSteve
04-08-2020, 11:20 AM
I got a question, why doesn't it even matter? Unless he left because we're about to get hit with sanctions then it doesn't really matter why he left. He felt it was time. Thank him for his service and move on.

Medic601
04-08-2020, 11:24 AM

If you?re going to drop hints, tell us what you know. Help us understand what went on behind the curtains.

smootness
04-08-2020, 11:25 AM
It's not like he can't sell the house and make the 3 million back. I mean, I can't imagine a brand new house would have a lot of depreciation.

Houses don't depreciate.

smootness
04-08-2020, 11:31 AM
We're all embarrassing ourselves, btw.

Everybody is always great until they leave. Then suddenly, nobody really liked them to begin with, or there must be some secret, nefarious reason they had to leave.

Just be glad for the years we had him, wish him well, and move on.

Todd4State
04-08-2020, 12:03 PM
Houses don't depreciate.

Probably a poor choice of words but you get my point. He's not likely to lose money by selling his brand new house in Starkville and will likely make his money back on it.

msbulldog
04-08-2020, 12:33 PM
Probably a poor choice of words but you get my point. He's not likely to lose money by selling his brand new house in Starkville and will likely make his money back on it.

According to my brother in Starkville, the word around town the house belongs to UT.

R2Dawg
04-08-2020, 12:38 PM

Agree with you that too many are quick to run down MSU and Starkville. Most other college towns are about the same. The big city school campus doesn't have the charm and family feeling either so that is a negative. You hear that all the time so there are positives and negatives about who MSU is.

R2Dawg
04-08-2020, 12:40 PM
I'm going to wait until the missing piece of evidence comes out before wishing him well.

It may take a month or so, but at some point it'll come out in the wash

Any team with as much talent as we had is going to have some drama. Yes there could always be something else but until I see it I'm giving Vic the benefit. Any typical team drama ain't why he left. Vic showed he knew how to handle team drama and didn't put up with much. Yall know, I could give examples but not necessary.

Cooterpoot
04-08-2020, 12:44 PM
I think McCray will do well with our talent and hold on to players. She'll recruit well too.

RocketDawg
04-08-2020, 12:55 PM
Agree with you that too many are quick to run down MSU and Starkville. Most other college towns are about the same. The big city school campus doesn't have the charm and family feeling either so that is a negative. You hear that all the time so there are positives and negatives about who MSU is.

I agree with that statement. One thing I really liked about MSU was that it was isolated by a mile or so from the town. Those campuses in the middle of cities, where you can't tell where the campus starts and the school begins, just don't have the self identity. While most "good" schools are in cities - few have the charm and relative isolation of State.

schddog72
04-08-2020, 04:44 PM

Seriously?? How many $3 million houses are there in Starkville? I'm sure one of them sells every other day, right?

Joebob
04-08-2020, 04:57 PM
I agree with that statement. One thing I really liked about MSU was that it was isolated by a mile or so from the town. Those campuses in the middle of cities, where you can't tell where the campus starts and the school begins, just don't have the self identity. While most "good" schools are in cities - few have the charm and relative isolation of State.

How true this is. One time I drove through Ann Arbor just to see what the campus was like. I found the stadium, but never did find what I could perceive as a campus (this was before the days of smart phones and google maps). It was one of the weirdest experiences I ever had. I literally couldn’t distinguish between the city and the campus.