PDA

View Full Version : MSU Releases Statement on Leach's Tweet

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 04:15 PM
Hopefully Leach was scared & humbled by this incident to the point where that makes him better at MSU.

Not sure this was worth an "official statement", but at least it's over now & hopefully Leach will just focus on coaching his ass off now.

In the end, I think this incident could help him recruit in the South if it helps him become more authentic in the houses with recruits by talking about it.

So often recruiting is about which staff sells themselves the best whether it's real or not, but with this incident, if willing to talk about it & not be too prideful, Leach has a chance to share a testimony.

Families want someone they can TRUST to coach their kids & there is no better way gain trust than by humbling yourself & being completely authentic.

Unless of course the family just wants to get paid.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Everyone expects Leach to 17 up & get fired at MSU so that other schools that have passed on him feel vindicated in their decision to do so.

I hope Leach takes that to heart & sets out to prove them wrong.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 04:19 PM
Dumbass of the year award goes to the guy that tweeted this

HancockCountyDog
04-07-2020, 04:29 PM
Why are we issuing press releases after the story had pretty much died down?

What is the upside to kicking the tires on this story almost 4 days after it happened?

Don't they know ESPN and Fox Sports are about to cover bridge and cricket and we decide to breathe life into a 4 day old story?

WTF?

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 04:30 PM

What is the upside to kicking the tires on this story almost 4 days after it happened?

Don't they know ESPN and Fox Sports are about to cover bridge and cricket and we decide to breathe life into a 4 day old story?

WTF?

Yeah, IDK why we released a statement.

I'd love for someone to ask Cohen why he felt it was necessary

HancockCountyDog
04-07-2020, 04:34 PM

Please don't - we may issue another press release in 3 days about why we released a press release regarding Leach's tweet.

I haven't been watching ESPN or Fox Sports - is this actually still a story?

bulldawg28
04-07-2020, 04:34 PM

Because it was necessary. Media heads were calling for Leach to be fired.

TUSK
04-07-2020, 04:38 PM
Wow.

I can't wait for the release of the statement explaining the statement about a needless apology on a silly, meaningless tweet...

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Because it was necessary. Media heads were calling for Leach to be fired.

And we dignify those stupid opinions with a response? Why?

shoeless joe
04-07-2020, 04:46 PM
Ridiculous...

Cooterpoot
04-07-2020, 04:48 PM
It needed to be done. And it should've been done a few days ago but Vic probably threw a wrench in that.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 04:50 PM
It needed to be done. And it should've been done a few days ago but Vic probably threw a wrench in that.

Why?

Why was Leach's apology not enough?

bluelightstar
04-07-2020, 04:53 PM
Why?

Why was Leach's apology not enough?

I have heard that people have been asking the university for comment for the last several days. It's part of the reason these stories went out so fast.

You can argue that the University's statement could have just referred to Leach's apology tweet, but that would have been another story in itself. Probably easiest from a PR perspective to write vague platitudes that don't mean anything.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 04:56 PM
No wonder we keep losing our best coaches.

I'm sure they appreciate having the high and mighty finger wagged at them in public over a nothing burger.

I wonder if they get embarrassed like this behind closed doors?

msudawg1200
04-07-2020, 04:59 PM
I'm telling it's about to the point where this crap is ridiculous. Really? Over a stupid tweet that means nothing like they are saying. Pure horse crap.

Maroonthirteen
04-07-2020, 05:13 PM
More cowering to the national media and woke culture.

No further explanation or comment was necessary.

Commercecomet24
04-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Wow.

I can't wait for the release of the statement explaining the statement about a needless apology on a silly, meaningless tweet...

Yep. Our society as a whole is weak
Minded and soft and gets offended at the drop of a hat. Smh.

confucius say
04-07-2020, 05:31 PM
I thought the first paragraph was good. Right to the point. Should have been done last Friday afternoon at 4:58.

The second paragraph is a bit much. Leach is fully aware of Mississippi's history. And I bet was looking forward to visiting the museums anyway. He is a history buff.

Jarius
04-07-2020, 05:37 PM
Maybe Cohen can give him a tour of the museum of transgenders.

RocketDawg
04-07-2020, 05:43 PM
Wow.

Exactly.

Dawgface
04-07-2020, 05:44 PM

No it didn't. If the media were to ask Cohen about it then just say it was handled internally. Total crap.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 05:54 PM
Maybe Cohen can give him a tour of the museum of transgenders.

That?s too far. I know I?m the last person to draw a line, but to me this is too far.

Todd4State
04-07-2020, 05:54 PM
Typical Mississippi taking things out of context and then having the person do some "sensitivity training" to appease the morons that didn't understand the context to start with.

ScottH
04-07-2020, 05:55 PM

WTF?

This.

It was old news.

Amateurish timing. Regardless whether you think a statement is necessary, the timing is incorrect.

Jarius
04-07-2020, 05:59 PM
That?s too far. I know I?m the last person to draw a line, but to me this is too far.

Seems like a good idea to me. Don't be a bigot.
http://www.chrisevargas.com/motha

confucius say
04-07-2020, 06:17 PM

What you mean? Maybe I'm missing the transgender joke here

Cooterpoot
04-07-2020, 06:24 PM
No it didn't. If the media were to ask Cohen about it then just say it was handled internally. Total crap.

I'm sorry you're offended

maroonmania
04-07-2020, 07:57 PM

Probably because Cohen is a hard-core liberal from what I hear. The whole thing is ridiculous in my view because the cartoon had no racial overtones at all. Married people are the ones who should have been upset. But what do I know, I'm just a middle-aged white guy.

maroonmania
04-07-2020, 08:01 PM
I'm telling it's about to the point where this crap is ridiculous. Really? Over a stupid tweet that means nothing like they are saying. Pure horse crap.

Amen and amen. The country just seems to be going off the rails at times with the extreme political correctness. Heck, Leach didn't even make the joke, he just retweeted it.

Jack Lambert
04-07-2020, 08:13 PM
Dumbass of the year award goes to the guy that tweeted this

Leach is a LIberal?

Todd4State
04-07-2020, 08:15 PM
Leach is a LIberal?

No. In fact he knows Trump personally.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 08:16 PM
Leach is a LIberal?

He’s obviously very conservative. This guy tries to act like he knows something and is completely off

LC Dawg
04-07-2020, 08:18 PM
The NCAA basketball championship was supposed to be last night. Last week should have been the first full week of MLB. If that is going on then people wouldn't give half a shit about Wolken's or Shannon Sharpe's opinion of the tweet but there are no sports so it became a bigger story and it wasn't going to go all the way away if State didn't address it and maybe still won't. Hopefully this is the end of it.
On the flip side Leach wouldn't have tweeted it if the nation wasn't in lockdown but we all need to be prepared for more of this because there are obviously some media members that don't like Leach and Leach obviously doesn't give a ****.
I think if Saban had tweeted the same thing he would have received some backlash but not as much as Leach. It wasn't a bright thing to do.

NCDawg
04-07-2020, 09:30 PM
Typical Mississippi taking things out of context and then having the person do some "sensitivity training" to appease the morons that didn't understand the context to start with.

Cohen is blowing this matter all out of proportion. Leach has already apologized, which I don't think was necessary. I don't think Cohen's liberal left wing views are commensurate with most of MS State's fan base.

hp22
04-07-2020, 09:53 PM
Can I sign up for the museum tour

BorneDawg
04-07-2020, 09:53 PM
I miss his daily tweets! Was the first thing I looked at when I picked up phone every morning

bluelightstar
04-07-2020, 10:26 PM
Cohen is blowing this matter all out of proportion. Leach has already apologized, which I don't think was necessary. I don't think Cohen's liberal left wing views are commensurate with most of MS State's fan base.

You seriously think Cohen issued a statement on behalf of the Universiry because of his “liberal left wing views”? This went through way more people than just Cohen including surely our president — a former Republican White House official.

DeltaChicagoDog
04-07-2020, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the search for a WBB coach and need to keep the team together influenced the decision. That, and as a risk management strategy/protection from the NCAA being able to rubber stamp immediate eligibility for potential MSU transfers. This way if someone requests immediate eligibility on the grounds that MSU/AD promoted xyz environment or failed to provide xyz environment, the response can be that MSU AD takes these matters seriously, does not condone xyz, addressed the issue, and corrective measures were taken to ensure a tolerant and inclusive environment that prioritizes the well being of all student athletes.

Or maybe it has nothing to do with that.

confucius say
04-07-2020, 11:09 PM
Bigger picture here as it regards our program, is Cohen going to try to manage leach? You know when you pay him 5 million to be your coach that he is going to say and do some quirky and offensive stuff. Did Cohen not see the YouTube videos prior to hiring leach?

Calling leach on the carpet here is unnecessary. Could have gotten the same message across using a different tone.

Todd4State
04-07-2020, 11:35 PM

I agree that Cohen blew it out of proportion.

Todd4State
04-07-2020, 11:36 PM
Bigger picture here as it regards our program, is Cohen going to try to manage leach? You know when you pay him 5 million to be your coach that he is going to say and do some quirky and offensive stuff. Did Cohen not see the YouTube videos prior to hiring leach?

Calling leach on the carpet here is unnecessary. Could have gotten the same message across using a different tone.

I fully expect that when Leach leaves us it's because of something stupid like this.

Cohen surely knows Leach's history and reputation.

Turfdawg67
04-08-2020, 12:09 AM

I hope Leach isn't having second thoughts about coming here...

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2020, 12:45 AM
Hopefully Leach was notified of and agreed to this statement before it was released.

If that communication didn't exist, we're pretty terribly ran.

Jack Lambert
04-08-2020, 10:57 AM

Cohen has way too other things to worry about. He should have just let it go.

confucius say
04-08-2020, 11:11 AM
Hopefully Leach was notified of and agreed to this statement before it was released.

If that communication didn't exist, we're pretty terribly ran.

Agree. I'm sure leach saw it and said ok.

The biggest issue I have is the timing. Should have done last Friday at 4:50. Didnt need listening sessions with students and alumni to see how everybody felt before putting this out. That's stupid. Everybody with a brain could see the issue with the tweet and could see it was out of ignorance of the noose's connotation, not racism. Just poor leadership by Cohen (whom I like).

Churchill
04-08-2020, 11:26 AM
Leach burned his bridge with Cohen's liberal ass when he dissed Romney. Boys, we've got a full blown mess on our hands.

Quaoarsking
04-08-2020, 12:04 PM
Leach burned his bridge with Cohen's liberal ass when he dissed Romney. Boys, we've got a full blown mess on our hands.

Wait, do you think liberals like Mitt Romney?

TUSK
04-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Wait, do you think liberals like Mitt Romney?

Yeah, nobody like that guy (anymore)...

bluelightstar
04-08-2020, 12:06 PM
People of different political stripes work together all the time outside of politics. Please stop being so naive and tribal as to think Cohen (and for that matter, republican Dr. Keenum) are making decisions on Leach based on their political leanings. My goodness.

R2Dawg
04-08-2020, 12:42 PM
Cohen has way too other things to worry about. He should have just let it go.

Normally I would agree with that but with the no sports news cycle we are in that story went national and almost forced his hand a little. Otherwise the talk right now would be spring football and March madness and no one would have cared.

BB30
04-08-2020, 01:55 PM
I agree that Cohen blew it out of proportion.

What makes you think Cohen was the sole decision maker in releasing a statement or not? I would assume several people including our university attorneys were involved.

NCDawg
04-08-2020, 02:29 PM
What makes you think Cohen was the sole decision maker in releasing a statement or not? I would assume several people including our university attorneys were involved.

What makes you think otherwise? Do you have any evidence showing several people including our university attorneys were involved? It isn't like Leach committed a crime for making a perfectly innocent joke that a lot of people took out of context. What would be the point of having attorneys involved? I do think it is possible, however, that Cohen consulted with Keenum before issuing his statement.

bluelightstar
04-08-2020, 02:31 PM
What makes you think otherwise? Do you have any evidence showing several people including our university attorneys were involved? It isn't like Leach committed a crime for making a perfectly innocent joke that a lot of people took out of context. What would be the point of having attorneys involved? I do think it is possible, however, that Cohen consulted with Keenum before issuing his statement.

This statement would not have appeared on msstate.edu (instead of hailstate.com) if this were a Cohen-only thing. This is not something he shot from the hip on late and decided to do himself.

maroonmania
04-08-2020, 03:19 PM
This statement would not have appeared on msstate.edu (instead of hailstate.com) if this were a Cohen-only thing. This is not something he shot from the hip on late and decided to do himself.

Keenum should get his share of the blame on this as well for sure. The whole thing is utterly ridiculous. Leach has done some questionable things in his career but I would put this near the bottom of them. Do you think Leach had any idea what he was getting himself into by retweeting a joke about an old married couple (white couple as far as can tell)? No racial implications were in the joke whatsoever. Our society has gone off the rails.

Bothrops
04-08-2020, 03:36 PM
You seriously think Cohen issued a statement on behalf of the Universiry because of his ?liberal left wing views?? This went through way more people than just Cohen including surely our president ? a former Republican White House official.

At least somebody gets it. This was an advised PR move and I'm sure it was gone over with all parties prior to release. Christ

deadheaddawg
04-08-2020, 04:31 PM

Man. With your ability to reach, You should play basketball

AROB44
04-08-2020, 04:57 PM
Man. With your ability to reach, You should play basketball

See how politics consumes some people.....