PDA

View Full Version : How many people have we had transfer other places that ended up doing really well?

Irondawg
04-06-2020, 12:24 PM
Since transfers are a popular target:

Ben Hansborough might top the list, Osby was still pretty good, the 3B that went to USM, but in all sports seems like most athletes that transfer don't find a ton of success elsewhere.

Same for incoming on our end: Roberts was a stud and Shane Power was awesome. Anriel Howard on the women's basketball side - who are some others?

KOdawg1
04-06-2020, 12:25 PM
Rodney Hood

R2Dawg
04-06-2020, 12:34 PM
Malik Newman - sorta, at least he got to play at Kansas

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2020, 12:46 PM
I've seen rumors that Nick Tiano may get drafted in the NFL

thf24
04-06-2020, 12:47 PM
Malik Newman - sorta, at least he got to play at Kansas

He did very well there and was a key part of their Final Four run, but only because he finally accepted the same thing he was being told here - that he's a spot up shooter, not a point guard. Maybe sour grapes but I don't believe his career would have been any better or worse had he stayed and bought into his role the same way he did there.

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2020, 12:48 PM
He did well very well there and was a key part of their Final Four run, but only because he finally accepted the same thing he was being told here - that he's a spot up shooter, not a point guard. Maybe sour grapes but I don't believe his career would have been any better or worse had he stayed and bought into his role the same way he did there.

Agree. He just went & played for a better team. I don't think his career changed a bit

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2020, 12:49 PM
In baseball, Graham Ashcraft did pretty well at UAB & we had the hitter win the CUSA player of the year at USM back when Cohen was here.

hp22
04-06-2020, 12:53 PM
Robert Jackson had a good run at Marquette and was on the Final 4 team with D Wade

thf24
04-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Agree. He just went & played for a better team. I don't think his career changed a bit

The part that frustrates me is the reason he left is that he thought Self could make him into something he wasn't in order to make the NBA better than Howland could, yet he just ended up embracing the same advice he was being given here in the end.

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2020, 01:06 PM
The part that frustrates me is the reason he left is that he thought Self could make him into something he wasn't in order to make the NBA better than Howland could, yet he just ended up embracing the same advice he was being given here in the end.

Yeah. Sometimes people want a 2nd opinion

tcdog70
04-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Since transfers are a popular target:

Ben Hansborough might top the list, Osby was still pretty good, the 3B that went to USM, but in all sports seems like most athletes that transfer don't find a ton of success elsewhere.

Same for incoming on our end: Roberts was a stud and Shane Power was awesome. Anriel Howard on the women's basketball side - who are some others?

Chucky Evans

MedDawg
04-06-2020, 03:37 PM
Chucky Evans

Chucky Evans left State? I thought he was a JUCO guy for us and played two years. As I remember it he led the SEC in assists and I think still holds MSU assist records.

NCMSTFAN
04-06-2020, 03:38 PM
Hansbrough was already mentioned but some dont know he ended up getting hired on Stansburys staff at WKU, then he got a DUI and resigned. The Delk twins both had pretty good careers after leaving but nothing amazing, believe it or not Vernon Goodridge played really well when he went to La Salle and ended up getting NBA looks, he played in the G league for a while too, Gary Ervin was a good PG at Arkansas, a guy that people dont know much about who was on our team for a short period of time but transferred to Louisiana was a guy names Shawn Long, he had a career average of 17 ppg at Louisiana and actually ended up playing for the Houston Rockets for a period of time.

NCMSTFAN
04-06-2020, 03:39 PM
Arnette Moultie transferred in an was good for us.

Irondawg
04-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Newman was interesting because he was not very good at all his first year at Kansas and didn't really blossom until the 2nd half of his last year when he did embrace that role.

Robert Jackson was a good one I had forgotten about and Hood as well.

Tiano also had a good Sr year so will be interesting to see if he gets drafted or can make a roster.

Irondawg
04-06-2020, 03:43 PM
good stuff NCMSTFAN - mens basketball has been interesting for sure.

It's odd how a lot of guys do pretty well in basketball moving around, but not so much the other sports. QB's have a mediocre track record in football but other positions don't seem to have the same level of success

R2Dawg
04-06-2020, 06:58 PM
Robert Jackson had a good run at Marquette and was on the Final 4 team with D Wade

Robert Jackson was a good one. Crafty around the goal. Still remember the chant - Robert Jackson.

jdelta02
04-06-2020, 07:12 PM
Transferred in....Dontae' Jones and Lawrence Roberts
Transferred out...Ben Hansbrough and Rodney Hood

(Late 1980's through early 1990's)
Transferred in...Ken Harvey
Transferred out...Chancellor Nichols

(Late 1990's)
Tranferred in...Horatio Webster and Detrick White

(Possibly forgotten)
Transferred out...Marlon Dorsey, Walter Sharpe

NCMSTFAN
04-06-2020, 07:18 PM
good stuff NCMSTFAN - mens basketball has been interesting for sure.

It's odd how a lot of guys do pretty well in basketball moving around, but not so much the other sports. QB's have a mediocre track record in football but other positions don't seem to have the same level of success

I agree irondawg, basketball players leave and can sometimes save their career elsewhere, it doesn't happen much in football.

HoopsDawg
04-06-2020, 10:48 PM
Arnette Moultie transferred in an was good for us.. How's his knee?

BeardoMSU
04-06-2020, 10:53 PM
. How's his knee?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SmallImportantBluetickcoonhound-max-1mb.gif

MetEdDawg
04-06-2020, 11:11 PM
In football I think the answer is clear. If Nick Taino possibly getting drafted is the best a player transferring out has done, I would say we haven't really lost many impact players. Same goes for these guys that commit to us then switch. Very few go on to make us regret not getting them.

One I specifically remember was Robert Washington. He was supposed to be the best RB to ever step on campus. I think was early on a top 5 RB in his class. Committed to us as a sophomore. Decommitted 7 months later. Took like 40 unofficial visits over the next year and a half. Then he commits to Syracuse. Then 4 months later he decommits. Ended up settling in Charlotte. Now he's transferred to Old Dominion.

Mullen got hammered for that one. Lots of people said he should have been able to keep him and that Mullen couldn't pull the big fish. He played us and even visited us again after he decommitted. But people were sure he was a huge recruit. Point is, people that play us and/or leave us rarely ever find success.

hp22
04-06-2020, 11:46 PM
Robert Jackson was a good one. Crafty around the goal. Still remember the chant - Robert Jackson.

Between TJ Honore, Robert Jackson, and Daryl Wilson. Hank Flick was in his prime.

The Hump was awesome back then.

Todd4State
04-07-2020, 01:39 AM
In football I think the answer is clear. If Nick Taino possibly getting drafted is the best a player transferring out has done, I would say we haven't really lost many impact players. Same goes for these guys that commit to us then switch. Very few go on to make us regret not getting them.

One I specifically remember was Robert Washington. He was supposed to be the best RB to ever step on campus. I think was early on a top 5 RB in his class. Committed to us as a sophomore. Decommitted 7 months later. Took like 40 unofficial visits over the next year and a half. Then he commits to Syracuse. Then 4 months later he decommits. Ended up settling in Charlotte. Now he's transferred to Old Dominion.

Mullen got hammered for that one. Lots of people said he should have been able to keep him and that Mullen couldn't pull the big fish. He played us and even visited us again after he decommitted. But people were sure he was a huge recruit. Point is, people that play us and/or leave us rarely ever find success.

I think Washington's family did him in. Typical people that have a talented athlete in the family trying to take advantage of them. Washington is in the portal again by the way. May end up with Freeze at Liberty.

My take on it was a little different. I think Dan was smart to look for a different avenue to recruit talent and if getting in on Team USA and younger players was going to potentially give us an advantage I was all for it. It never mattered to me that he de-committed. You never know when something like that is going to turn into the football version of Perfect Game for baseball and getting an in with something like that has no downside to me. That's no different than any other de-commitment to me- Tee Shepherd de-committed literally on NSD. You can't prevent that and I don't know why our fans seem to think that those are "bad" sometimes. It's part of the process when you have high school kids trying to pick a college.

The thing that kind of made me mad at the time were people talking about how it was stupid for us to take his commitment and then gloating about how they were "right" when the guy de-committed. It made me mad because I thought their views were pretty short sighted. Just typical MSU fan "Hey that didn't work that one time so let's never throw the ball ever again, run that offensive or defensive scheme, do whatever the last coach did at all" mentality. As it is- guess what? We're starting to see football players getting evaluated in 10th grade now and rated in some cases. Washington committed to us in 9th grade.

I think part of the reason why he didn't pan out too was in football evaluating players that young is fairly new. Unlike baseball where they've been scouting and evaluating Latin American players that are as young as 13 and probably younger for decades now.

People can disagree but for me it's more about our fans entire attitude towards trying different things more than anything else. If you quit doing something because you fail once you'll never succeed.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 09:06 AM
Washington wasn’t any good.

Peaked early physical. He wasn’t talented

Homedawg
04-07-2020, 09:21 AM
Transferred in....Dontae' Jones and Lawrence Roberts
Transferred out...Ben Hansbrough and Rodney Hood

(Late 1980's through early 1990's)
Transferred in...Ken Harvey
Transferred out...Chancellor Nichols

(Late 1990's)
Tranferred in...Horatio Webster and Detrick White

(Possibly forgotten)
Transferred out...Marlon Dorsey, Walter Sharpe

I don't count Juco signees as transfers in for the basis of this conversation. The guys you mentioned all went juco bc they HAD to, its not like they went to D1 first.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 09:23 AM
I don't count Juco signees as transfers in for the basis of this conversation. The guys you mentioned all went juco bc they HAD to, its not like they went to D1 first.

Correct. JUCO guys don’t have the perceived makeup problems that D1 transfers have

tcdog70
04-07-2020, 10:44 AM
Chucky Evans left State? I thought he was a JUCO guy for us and played two years. As I remember it he led the SEC in assists and I think still holds MSU assist records.

Chucky transferred in from Old Dominion