PDA

View Full Version : Coach Johnnie Harris

jdelta02
04-05-2020, 06:07 PM
Coacch Johnnie Harris can hold this ultra-talented squad together (projected #3 nationally ESPN Early Rankings....make run at national championship next season. This squad can definitely compete with South Carolina for the SEC and national championship, just need to hold together.

Coach J. Harris has been with Coach Schaefer for many years, she knows the system, can hold this thing together (including players, recruits, and fellow assistants that choose to stay).

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 06:12 PM
Coacch Johnnie Harris can hold this ultra-talented squad together (projected #3 nationally ESPN Early rankings....make run at national championship next season. This squad can definitely compete with South Carolina for the SEC and national championship, just need to hold together.

It's just incredible that Vic would leave that. Almost unprecedented.

I'm trying to think of when a coach left a legitimate national power for a lesser program in any sport?

Jimbo left FSU for a lesser program, but he was on the down slide at FSU.

Todd4State
04-05-2020, 06:13 PM

I'm trying to think of when a coach left a legitimate national power for a lesser program in any sport?

Pat McMahon leaving MSU for Florida.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 06:15 PM
Pat McMahon leaving MSU for Florida.

Yeah. Somewhat.

Not sure we were a top 5 program like we are in WBB & Florida had a better scholarship situation in baseball. That isn't an issue with WBB

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 06:16 PM
We've seen guys like Saban, Spurrier, Chip Kelly, & Brad Stevens leave for the pros.

Perhaps the closest to this is Calipari leaving Memphis for Kentucky, but he had NCAA issues brewing at Memphis. That's the closest situation I can think of

Cooterpoot
04-05-2020, 06:17 PM
If we can pull a coach like the HCs at Oregon or Louisville, we take them. If not, it's her job.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2020, 06:38 PM
Coacch Johnnie Harris can hold this ultra-talented squad together (projected #3 nationally ESPN Early Rankings....make run at national championship next season. This squad can definitely compete with South Carolina for the SEC and national championship, just need to hold together.

Coach J. Harris has been with Coach Schaefer for many years, she knows the system, can hold this thing together (including players, recruits, and fellow assistants that choose to stay).

You do forget how long johnnie has been with vic... hmmm.. She was with him At Ark and Texas A&M
I mean Vic was with Blair for a long time before he got his shot..so that's 15 seasons.

2012-: Mississippi State University (7 seasons - Associate Head Coach)
2007-12: Texas A&M University (5 seasons - Assistant Coach)
2004-07: University of Arkansas (3 seasons - Assistant Coach)
2003-04: North Carolina State University (1 season - Assistant Coach)
2001-03: University of Arkansas-Fort Smith (2 seasons - Assistant Coach)
2000-01: University of Arkansas-Little Rock (1 season - Assistant Coach)
1998-00: University of Arkansas-Little Rock (2 seasons - Graduate Assistant Coach)

Irondawg
04-05-2020, 06:39 PM
Hopefully Cohen has been around Harris enough to have a feel if she can be the Alpha or not. Given our talent level we have to get this right.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2020, 06:50 PM
Hopefully Cohen has been around Harris enough to have a feel if she can be the Alpha or not. Given our talent level we have to get this right.

Yep... once you look at her resume and maybe understand her background.. could she be the Lady minister of defense?

I think if johnnie stays.. its here's and by the second im becoming ok with that. still uncertainity in someone who hasnt been a hc but it's how we got vic.
https://www.djournal.com/sports/harris-selected-assistant-coach-of-the-year/article_16ab3fb0-f85a-5aab-a8e3-82da199c1ceb.html

Quaoarsking
04-05-2020, 06:54 PM

Dave Serrano left a good Cal State Fullerton program to go be terrible and never make the NCAA Tournament in 6 years at Tennessee. That's all that comes to mind unless you count Chris Petersen leaving Boise State for Washington (a clear step down in program on the day he left, but he probably wasn't ever getting into the CFP at Boise).

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 06:56 PM
Dave Serrano left a good Cal State Fullerton program to go be terrible and never make the NCAA Tournament in 6 years at Tennessee. That's all that comes to mind unless you count Chris Petersen leaving Boise State for Washington (a clear step down in program on the day he left, but he probably wasn't ever getting into the CFP at Boise).

Serrano to Tennessee is a pretty good one.

I still think Cal from Memphis to KY is the closest here.

jdelta02
04-05-2020, 07:51 PM
The freshmen spent they're first season learning this system, and were just starting to really get it down. Coach Harris and the current staff know the system. Wouldn't have to change a lot with her running the show....just her own adjustments, and if she did things a good bit differently, that's fine as well.

Her whole coaching career has helped lead her to this opportunity. Would give her the job if she wanted it.

Remember, Coach Schaefer was an assistant to Gary Blair at Texas A & M when took the Miss. State job....look at how that turned out.

My opinion, these young players really like Coach Harris and the other coaches....type of family atmosphere. Willing to strongly consider staying onboard, and play for her.

bulldogcountry1
04-05-2020, 07:59 PM
Hiring assistants hasn’t worked out well for Cohen.

hp22
04-05-2020, 08:05 PM
Hiring assistants hasn?t worked out well for Cohen.

Well this one has been on campus and with the program for several years now. I think that matters.

You do have a point though.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-05-2020, 08:10 PM
Hiring assistants hasn’t worked out well for Cohen.

How many has he hired?

WSOPdawg
04-05-2020, 08:18 PM

Somewhat reminiscent of Mullen leaving for Florida knowing he would've had a top defense (actually #1 overall) with the entire backfield returning (Fitz, Aries & Kylin). He would've won 10 games easily and been a top-10 team in 2018.

klong-dog
04-05-2020, 08:22 PM
Yup.

NCMSTFAN
04-05-2020, 08:24 PM
Harris was Vic's top recruiter, she was key in bringing in most of these girls, I think we will have some transfers if we go in any other direction... And like some of you have mentioned, why would Vic leave a team with this much talent? I understand he wants to go home but he built a powerhouse at State, it's hard to not take it somewhat personal as a fan.

NeuteredDawg
04-05-2020, 08:36 PM
She is headed to TX. It?s Starkville guys. Equal money people would rather live elsewhere.

Ezsoil
04-05-2020, 08:39 PM
Yep... once you look at her resume and maybe understand her background.. could she be the Lady minister of defense?

I think if johnnie stays.. its here's and by the second im becoming ok with that. still uncertainity in someone who hasnt been a hc but it's how we got vic.
https://www.djournal.com/sports/harris-selected-assistant-coach-of-the-year/article_16ab3fb0-f85a-5aab-a8e3-82da199c1ceb.html

Vic was the head coach at Sam Houston....it wasn't pretty

NCMSTFAN
04-05-2020, 08:43 PM
She is headed to TX. It?s Starkville guys. Equal money people would rather live elsewhere.

I worry about this too, but in an article written back in 2018 when she won Assistant coach of the year, she did mention being a Head Coach one day.

R2Dawg
04-05-2020, 08:54 PM

What? UK is the gold standard for basketball, Memphis eh good 4-5 times in history. Vic to UConn would be like Cal Memphis to UK.

maroonmania
04-05-2020, 10:38 PM

If we hire her for HC its not going to be equal money nor will it be an equal position. If we don't hire her for HC then I think there is little doubt she will stick with Vic.

Cooterpoot
04-05-2020, 10:46 PM
I think everyone would be ok with Johnnie if we can't get a proven top flight HC.

Irondawg
04-05-2020, 10:51 PM
She's earned the right for a serious interview at the very least. And yes, if we offer her a HC job I would think that would be substantially more than her salary as an assistant anywhere

klong-dog
04-05-2020, 10:57 PM
Also would have a better chance to keep all of our players in place and possible recruits. Fan base is familiar with her as well and will still support.

HailStateSZN19
04-06-2020, 12:01 AM
I think everyone would be ok with Johnnie if we can't get a proven top flight HC.

Who are some “top flight” names you’ve heard we will entertain? I’d personally give it to Johnnie unless we can get someone like Graves from Oregon, Walz (?) from Louisville, or Mitchell but I think I’d give it to Johnnie personally over Mitchell. Only thing that’d sway me to Mitchell is the HC experience because whoever we hire does not need to be going through trial runs with the talent we will have the next several years (kinda like handing Joe our ‘18 football talent, even though he had low level HC experience). But I think Johnnie would make an excellent HC and would keep some continuity with players to keep from transferring and she’s played a big part in building the machine.

trojandawg
04-06-2020, 12:12 AM
I believe Vic said at one time she was the most important piece to keeping his deal rolling. So I think she would be a great hire and in turn he loses her as an assistant which makes Texas harder to build for him and she probably keeps a few of his assistants also. That would be huge in continuity.

Cooterpoot
04-06-2020, 12:19 AM
I believe Vic said at one time she was the most important piece to keeping his deal rolling. So I think she would be a great hire and in turn he loses her as an assistant which makes Texas harder to build for him and she probably keeps a few of his assistants also. That would be huge in continuity.

We hired away sitting HCs in baseball and football recently. No reason we can't in women's basketball.

klong-dog
04-06-2020, 12:22 AM

Agreed. If we can't pull in one of the top 10-12 coaches in the country, Harris is most definitely the safe hire.

jdelta02
04-06-2020, 09:22 AM
Also, Coach J. Harris has been a big key to bringing in top recruits at both Texas A&M and.Miss. State. She's been key to bringing in Miss. State's past talent....including Teaira McCowan. Bringing in the talented freshman class from this past season....Coach Harris was key.

Also, she currently has Miss. State in the mix for other top recruits.

Regardless Coach Schaefer leaving....Miss. State is already in very good shape with the current coaches, players, signees, recruits, ect. Program would do well to move forward with what they already have going on. Still on nationall championship contender level. Coach Johnnie Harris can hold this thing together.

Quite a few big name programs and coaches out there struggling to field teams that perform near at the level of Miss. State. And...even worst without the very top recruits.

msbulldog
04-06-2020, 12:35 PM
Also, Coach J. Harris has been a big key to bringing in top recruits at both Texas A&M and.Miss. State. She's been key to bringing in Miss. State's past talent....including Teaira McCowan. Bringing in the talented freshman class from this past season....Coach Harris was key.

Also, she currently has Miss. State in the mix for other top recruits.

Regardless Coach Schaefer leaving....Miss. State is already in very good shape with the current coaches, players, signees, recruits, ect. Program would do well to move forward with what they already have going on. Still on nationall championship contender level. Coach Johnnie Harris can hold this thing together.

Quite a few big name programs and coaches out there struggling to field teams that perform near at the level of Miss. State. And...even worst without the very top recruits.

Absolutely! Hire Johnnie Harris!

KentuckyDawg13
04-06-2020, 12:36 PM
Never saw this article in January, gives some insight: https://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=78725

parabrave
04-06-2020, 01:17 PM
She should be the only option.

Dawgface
04-06-2020, 04:17 PM

She would be in my top 3 candidates. With the need for social distancing, interviewing people via video teleconferencing should make the process go quicker than his previous hires.

TALL DAWG
04-06-2020, 06:11 PM
Absolutely! Hire Johnnie Harris!

Hire Coach Mitchell and ABSOLUTELY hire Johnnie Harris as his #1 assistant...:)

jdelta02
04-06-2020, 06:56 PM
According to the article, Coach Harris was known as an ace recruiter at Texas A&M, and helped them bring in the #2, #3, #5, and #6 recruiting classes nationally. Also, she helped Miss. State bring in a top 5, 6 class nationally....with Rickea Jackson, Aliyah Matharu, and the other freshman. Mentions her being very good at player development and Xs and Os.

WSOPdawg
04-06-2020, 07:08 PM
Hire Coach Mitchell and ABSOLUTELY hire Johnnie Harris as his #1 assistant...:)

Not sold on Mitchell because what success has he really had with KY??? Plus, why would Coach Harris leave Vic's side after 15 years to all of a sudden align with Mitchell?

Just make a strong, respectful push to give the reigns to Coach Harris and let's retain a few of her assistants already on the team.

NCMSTFAN
04-06-2020, 07:30 PM
Anyone other than Johnnie Harris is a big risk. She recruited every girl on that team and is respected in the locker room, the relationship is already there, the trust is there, I wouldn't roll the dice with a "splash hire" because it may hurt us for years to come. What makes this so odd is that we have talent at every position and more talent available coming in next year, this IS NOT A REBUILD. I wouldn't break this train that's already in rolling, theres way too much talent to take a chance with someone new, you risk losing players and recruits. Even if Johnnie is not our future, with what we have on campus now and recruits coming in you keep her as the HC and if things dont work in a couple years, go another direction then. but dont derail what we have going

hp22
04-06-2020, 08:06 PM
Hire Johnnie Harris

She deserves her shot. She has been a huge part of the growth of our program. It is complement to how well run the program has been so hire from within it if she has the goal of being the head coach.

I don't know if there are 4 rosters more talented than ours.

Cooterpoot
04-06-2020, 08:18 PM

You guys roll over easy. You go get a top HC if they're available. Then work your way down the list if you miss. She can be interim coach and interview. Hire the best.

Quaoarsking
04-06-2020, 08:29 PM
You guys roll over easy. You go get a top HC if they're available. Then work your way down the list if you miss. She can be interim coach and interview. Hire the best.

Yep. Call the top ~10 coaches in America and see if there's a number that will entice them, and if they all say no (which is likely), hire Harris by the end of the week. Should be an easy call.

Coach34
04-06-2020, 08:34 PM
She should be a top 3- but can she continue to get that Delta money flowing to land recruits like Vic did? I don’t know.

If u can’t get a top tier HC- then I thing u absolutely give it to her. But we have to kick the tires on some top 15 coaches before handing it to her

BorneDawg
04-06-2020, 08:46 PM

So your fine with losing incoming talent and possibly some of team this year and taking a step back to get someone from outside? And if anyone thinks she would be fine with her being the 11th choice your wrong if we dont hire her as head coach then shes more than likely gone ...... and recruits/players with her.

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2020, 08:49 PM
She should be a top 3- but can she continue to get that Delta money flowing to land recruits like Vic did?

Goodness.

Must say I completely respect someone willing to give money to land women's basketball recruits.

I reality it may be the best sport to buy players in because the NCAA is absolutely not looking at you & no one is going to turn you in

bulldawg28
04-06-2020, 08:51 PM
She should be a top 3- but can she continue to get that Delta money flowing to land recruits like Vic did? I don’t know.

If u can’t get a top tier HC- then I thing u absolutely give it to her. But we have to kick the tires on some top 15 coaches before handing it to her

If she learned from Vic she absolutely would.

Ezsoil
04-06-2020, 09:54 PM

So your saying Kentucky was a lesser basketball job than Memphis ?

vv83
04-06-2020, 10:11 PM
Bibby just entered the portal

maroonmania
04-06-2020, 10:20 PM
So your fine with losing incoming talent and possibly some of team this year and taking a step back to get someone from outside? And if anyone thinks she would be fine with her being the 11th choice your wrong if we dont hire her as head coach then shes is gone ...... and recruits/players with her.

FIFY

klong-dog
You'd think a fan favorite like Bibby would want a great senior year send off from all the Bulldog faithful. Oh well. I figure she'll be joining Vic in a day or two. Probably just saying in the portal for now, so it won't look as bad.

msstatelp1
Bibby just entered the portal

Hate to see it but it may be the best thing for her. There's a lot of talent waiting behind her and her playing time may be limited once that talent steps up.

klong-dog
04-06-2020, 10:26 PM
That's if we can keep them all here. But yes, Bibby would have struggled to get mintues with Carter, Morris, and Cooks at the 4 & 5.

msbulldog
04-07-2020, 06:13 AM
Bibby was probably transferring anyway, not enough minutes next year.

captaindog
04-07-2020, 06:29 AM
Why do you post things like this on a message board? Please tell me I?m reading your post wrong and you aren?t saying that Coach Schaefer is buying players.

Dawgface
04-07-2020, 08:14 AM
Why do you post things like this on a message board? Please tell me I?m reading your post wrong and you aren?t saying that Coach Schaefer is buying players.

True. Those are things you discuss via pm's.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 09:21 AM
So your saying Kentucky was a lesser basketball job than Memphis ?

At the time, Memphis was the better program and Texas women’s basketball history doesn’t compare to KY in any way.

Would Cal have been just as successful at Memphis as he has been at KY? Likely.

In fact, I’m not sure Cal going to KY has helped his career one bit.

What has KY done for his career that he didn’t have at Memphis?

Scared_Hitless
04-07-2020, 09:32 AM
At the time, Memphis was the better program and Texas women’s basketball history doesn’t compare to KY in any way.

Would Cal have been just as successful at Memphis as he has been at KY? Likely.

In fact, I’m not sure Cal going to KY has helped his career one bit.

What has KY done for his career that he didn’t have at Memphis?

I mean he makes what close to 10 million as their coach and he got a Natty. I would say it was the correct career decision. Look at Memphis since he left what have they done?

Having it on cruise control at KY is not a bad gig. He probably barely has to recruit and keeps a top 2 or 3 class yearly.

R2Dawg
04-07-2020, 11:27 AM

She has done good things but I'm not sure she is HC material at a big school. Maybe she is. HC is a different animal than being an assistant.

maroonmania
04-07-2020, 11:37 AM
She has done good things but I'm not sure she is HC material at a big school. Maybe she is. HC is a different animal than being an assistant.

So, I'm not sure what screamed out that Vic Schaefer was HC material at a big school until he got to MSU. He was a career assistant whose only gig as a HC was at Sam Houston State where he went 80-110. In his 7 years at SHSU he only had 1 winning season. Whatever magic Schaefer found to be so ultra successful at MSU, Harris was right in the middle of it.