04-05-2020, 02:36 PM
I hate college sports.

Awful

msstate7
04-05-2020, 02:37 PM
He was great. Not gonna hold a grudge.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 02:37 PM
So Cohen has now lost the best 2 coaches in school history?

DownwardDawg
04-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Wow

msstate7
04-05-2020, 02:38 PM

No AD in America could've won those battles here.

BrunswickDawg
04-05-2020, 02:40 PM
Yeah - it's not like we haven't given Mullen or Vic everything they've asked for. Sometimes coaches just want a change

Quaoarsking
04-05-2020, 02:41 PM
Hate that the national titles slipped through his fingers. Extremely unlikely his successor will keep us at that high of a level, even if he/she is very good.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 02:41 PM

We matched Texas' contract.

He lost him. Plain and simple.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 02:42 PM
This is a prime example why you fire coaches that don't win.

There is no loyalty. Either win or your gone.

KOdawg1
04-05-2020, 02:48 PM
This hurts. We were poised to contend for the title over the next few years.

Go get Matthew Mitchell at Kentucky. Louisville, MS native who has built a good program at UK. Beaten our tail a few times over the years. Make him say no.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 02:53 PM
This hurts. We were poised to contend for the title over the next few years.

Go get Matthew Mitchell at Kentucky. Louisville, MS native who has built a good program at UK. Beaten our tail a few times over the years. Make him say no.

For sure.

Our inability hold onto top coaches though prevents us from competing nationally in anything but baseball.

Frustrating to lose Vick and Mullen in the course of a few years.

Cohen has to know that. You can't built or sustain when losing your best people.

StarkVegasSteve
04-05-2020, 02:55 PM
For sure.

Our inability hold onto top coaches though prevents us from competing nationally in anything but baseball.

Cohen has to know that. You can't built or sustain when losing your best people.

They offered him 10 MILLION TO STAY!!!!! What else do you want Cohen to do??? We aren't making a guy who hasn't won a natty the highest paid coach in the sport. Although, that contract would've put him pretty dang close.

William Tecumsah Sherman
04-05-2020, 03:00 PM
Now our fans can go back to supporting the men?s team

RocketDawg
04-05-2020, 03:01 PM
Could always go get Dawn Staley ....

BankerDog
04-05-2020, 03:02 PM
We matched Texas' contract.

He lost him. Plain and simple.

This coming from the guy who says MS HS players should have more pride in their state and stay home. Yet when a guy takes his talents back to his home state you crap on him.

This will allow us to start allocating more money to football and basketball again..you know sports that make money and don?t lose it.

BrunswickDawg
04-05-2020, 03:03 PM
For sure.

Average women's coach tenure is 9 years - Vic stayed 8
Average football coach tenure is 3.8 years - Mullen was here 9.

What keeps programs solid today is hiring quality coaches - no one stays long anymore except rare guys like Saban.

Quaoarsking
04-05-2020, 03:05 PM
If there was a number that could have made him stay, then shame on Cohen for not keeping him.

If not (as was the case for Mullen), Cohen has to get a pass, but he can't follow up with a wbb version of Moorhead.

msstate7
04-05-2020, 03:06 PM
This will allow us to start allocating more money to football and basketball again.

If having a great women's basketball team was holding us back some in these sports, I'm ok with this then. I much prefer those 2 sports

RocketDawg
04-05-2020, 03:07 PM
This coming from the guy who says MS HS players should have more pride in their state and stay home. Yet when a guy takes his talents back to his home state you crap on him.

This will allow us to start allocating more money to football and basketball again..you know sports that make money and don?t lose it.

That thought crossed my mind also.

HailStateSZN19
04-05-2020, 03:09 PM
This has absolutely blown my mind. I mean this came out of nowhere.

I like Mitchell from UK but I say hire Johnnie Harris. She’s seen what it takes to do what Vic has done and she’s played a huge part in it. I’d promote her in a heart beat.

NCMSTFAN
04-05-2020, 03:09 PM
Horrible news, I hope we can keep our girls and no one else transfers. Do we promote one of our assistants or look elsewhere?? What other names are out there to get?

fader2103
04-05-2020, 03:11 PM
I want Johnnie Harris to step in.

StarkVegasSteve
04-05-2020, 03:12 PM
Horrible news, I hope we can keep our girls and no one else transfers. Do we promote one of our assistants or look elsewhere?? What other names are out there to get?

I think there's only two names, it's either Johnnie Harris or Matthew Mitchell.

You don't have to overpay for either. They'll both probably take the hometown discount.

BeardoMSU
04-05-2020, 03:13 PM
Well this is a ****ing kick in the nuts. Whats next?

KOdawg1
Now our fans can go back to supporting the men?s team

Or they can support both.

NCDawg
Yeah - it's not like we haven't given Mullen or Vic everything they've asked for. Sometimes coaches just want a change

I don't consider Mullen one of the best 2 coaches in State's history, seeing how he folded when he played Alabama.

R2Dawg
04-05-2020, 03:14 PM
I am at a loss for words. At least he didn't go to SEC school. We need to hang on to key players and recruits now. Harris is one option, maybe Mitchell, Idk.

DDawg
04-05-2020, 03:16 PM
I think we should offer Dawn Staley an offer she can?t refuse.

Personally, I think Vic was scared/intimidated of her on and off the court. She had his number and after that shit show of a game in the SEC championship he was out of here.

Todd4State
04-05-2020, 03:16 PM
I don't consider Mullen one of the best 2 coaches in State's history, seeing how he folded when he played Alabama.

Exactly. Dan wasn't better than Jackie. And Leach could very well end up better than both.

ZedFedder
04-05-2020, 03:17 PM
Dawn Staley is not coming. You can forget that. I also say Johnnie Harris. Granted, there are people who make great assistants and not great head coaches (see Joe Moorhead), but I think she has earned the right if she wants it.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 03:18 PM
Average women's coach tenure is 9 years - Vic stayed 8
Average football coach tenure is 3.8 years - Mullen was here 9.

What keeps programs solid today is hiring quality coaches - no one stays long anymore except rare guys like Saban.

Not true. The best programs have coaches that stay and build it

starkvegasdawg
04-05-2020, 03:21 PM
I think we should offer Dawn Staley an offer she can?t refuse.

Personally, I think Vic was scared/intimidated of her on and off the court. She had his number and after that shit show of a game in the SEC championship he was out of here.

I would become physically ill if we hired her.

BeardoMSU
04-05-2020, 03:24 PM

National Championships do that to some people**

bluelightstar
04-05-2020, 03:24 PM

...?

bulldawg28
04-05-2020, 03:25 PM
Rebecca Lobo, Tamika Catchings, etc. We need a big name

Quaoarsking
04-05-2020, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't mind floating some huge numbers out to Staley and the other coaches on her tier to see what happens, but I suspect Harris is probably the hire. We should be good for the next 2-3 years at least, and then we'll see.

BiscuitEater
04-05-2020, 03:27 PM
For sure.

This post is just plain stupid and ignorant!

Simply put .. Nothing was going to keep Vic OR Dan at MSU .. Nothing!

Dawgface
04-05-2020, 03:30 PM
He was born in Austin and I believe his parents live there. Easy to understand.

Ari Gold
04-05-2020, 03:31 PM
Like Cohen or not , but offering a Women?s Basketball Coach 10 million and it getting turned down is doing all he can do

And Dan wouldn?t have stayed here If we offered him more money than Saban. . The ****er was leaving for Tennessee before Fla offered..

Cowboydawg
04-05-2020, 03:32 PM
Vic has been preparing Johnnie Harris for this moment. We lost Vic but we don?t need to lose the culture he created here as well. I think he leaves knowing the program will be in good hands.

KOdawg1
04-05-2020, 03:33 PM

If his parent live there, there's nothing we could've done

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 03:33 PM

Of course it's easy to understand but history will show That two is MSU's best ever coaches left under Cohen's watch.

confucius say
04-05-2020, 03:35 PM
Like Cohen or not , but offering a Women?s Basketball Coach 10 million and it getting turned down is doing all he can do

And Dan wouldn?t have stayed here If we offered him more money than Saban. . The ****er was leaving for Tennessee before Fla offered..

Yea I don't get what shotgun is talking about. Vic is from there, his family is still there, and we offered him a ton of money. What was Cohen supposed to do, offer to blow him weekly? Damn people.

hp22
04-05-2020, 03:37 PM
If Cohen feels good about Harris, then I would hire her. She has been with the program and earned her shot. Mitchell would be my second call.

ZedFedder
04-05-2020, 03:37 PM
I do not think you can blame Cohen for this whatsoever. You can't blame him for Mullen, either. What you can blame him for is making a bad hire in JoeMo. I think he will do well this hire.

smootness
04-05-2020, 03:39 PM
When you have a great, well-run program, you hire from within if there's someone who can do it. If Harris can do it, that's an easy call.

Unfortunately, though, it's likely inevitable our women's program will take a big step back, and none of us will care a whole lot anymore.

It's a shame, but Schaefer was the magician.

msbulldog
04-05-2020, 03:40 PM
Make Johnnie Harris an offer she cannot refuse 1M/year!

KOdawg1
04-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Make Johnnie Harris an offer she cannot refuse 1M/year!

No need for that. Make her a fair offer, but don't do anything crazy

AROB44
04-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Yea I don't get what shotgun is talking about. Vic is from there, his family is still there, and we offered him a ton of money. What was Cohen supposed to do, offer to blow him weekly? Damn people.

Who in the hell does....

basedog
04-05-2020, 03:45 PM
Of course it's easy to understand but history will show That two is MSU's best ever coaches left under Cohen's watch.

LOL, like Cohen didn't offer both the "moon".

Austin > Starkville Texas is a step up especially for someone from Texas. Can't blame Vic, hated seeing this but it's more about business and his family!

Bothrops
04-05-2020, 03:48 PM
There goes the neighborhood in MSU women's hoops. Our chances to win a natty in any sport just rolled back down the hill into the rapids. Mother****er

dawgday166
04-05-2020, 03:50 PM
Bummer ... I like ole Vic now. We'll see how Cohen handles this coaching search and how it turns out down the road.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 03:53 PM
This post is just plain stupid and ignorant!

Simply put .. Nothing was going to keep Vic OR Dan at MSU .. Nothing!

How do you know that?

This is the wrong attitude. We should be taking it personally and creating a better MSU that lessens the chance of this happening.

msbulldog
04-05-2020, 03:53 PM
No need for that. Make her a fair offer, but don't do anything crazy

I repeat!

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 03:54 PM
I do not think you can blame Cohen for this whatsoever. You can't blame him for Mullen, either. What you can blame him for is making a bad hire in JoeMo. I think he will do well this hire.

Not blaming Cohen per say.

Just saying that it factually has happened

And

We need to continue to everything possible to make sure it stops happening.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 03:56 PM
LOL, like Cohen didn't offer both the "moon".

Austin > Starkville Texas is a step up especially for someone from Texas. Can't blame Vic, hated seeing this but it's more about business and his family!

Not blaming Vic or Cohen.

At MSU we need to realize the reality that this is starting to become a trend and we need to do everything in our ability to make sure it stops happening

Don't accept failure. Let's be better

yjnkdawg
04-05-2020, 03:57 PM

Cohen didn't lose either. Vic wanted to go back to Texas. Mullen wasn't planning on staying at MSU. He actually stayed a lot longer (by about 5 or 6 years) than he had originally planned too.

BankerDog
04-05-2020, 03:59 PM
Not blaming Vic or Cohen.

At MSU we need to realize the reality that this is starting to become a trend and we need to do everything in our ability to make sure it stops happening

Don't accept failure. Let's be better

I don?t accept losing to South Carolina almost every year, Vic couldn?t be an Staley.

msbulldog
04-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Hire Johnnie Harris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yjnkdawg
04-05-2020, 04:07 PM
How do you know that?

This is the wrong attitude. We should be taking it personally and creating a better MSU that lessens the chance of this happening.

The Athletic Department is awaiting your outstanding recommendation and plan***

HoopsDawg
04-05-2020, 04:10 PM
Or they can support both.

Our fans have shown that we are not capable of supporting both. Women's basketball loses money.

NCMSTFAN
04-05-2020, 04:11 PM
The more I think about it, we really need to hire Harris to keep the recruits and the culture already built, she has been Vic's right hand woman for years now, she knows what it takes.. bringing in someone new can potentially set us back for years.

msbulldog
04-05-2020, 04:13 PM
Our fans have shown that we are not capable of supporting both. Women's basketball loses money.

Yeah, but it as much excitement as we have ever had!

KOdawg1
04-05-2020, 04:17 PM

Good luck telling that to the thousands that show up to every game and travel all over the country to watch the ladies play.

HoopsDawg
04-05-2020, 04:19 PM
Yeah, but it as much excitement as we have ever had!

as much excitement as we have ever had in women's hoops? yeah, sure. But I have more excitement about a midweek baseball game than a women's final 4. I'm may be in the minority though.

Promote the top assistant and pay them 200K/year.

HoopsDawg
04-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Good luck telling that to the thousands that show up to every game and travel all over the country to watch the ladies play.

then they should continue to support the team and not be bandwagon fans. I've shown up my whole life to support football even though we have no shot to ever win a national title.

NCDawg
04-05-2020, 04:23 PM
The more I think about it, we really need to hire Harris to keep the recruits and the culture already built, she has been Vic's right hand woman for years now, she knows what it takes.. bringing in someone new can potentially set us back for years.

I tend to agree. She's probably the right choice.

KOdawg1
04-05-2020, 04:27 PM
then they should continue to support the team and not be bandwagon fans. I've shown up my whole to support football even though we have no shot to ever win a national title.

That's fine. But if you're implying we go cheap, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. People have bought in to WBB. There's a huge portion of our fan base who love it. You don't fit that portion, and that's okay.

I prefer WBB personally. It's more team driven than individual, and in the past few years, they've been way more entertaining to watch than the men. That's my opinion and it's okay if people disagree, but many others share that opinion as well. I go to some men's games when I can. I support them and watch every game that I can't go to. But I don't miss a single women's game. Going cheap to "make room" won't go over well

crackerjax
04-05-2020, 04:33 PM
as much excitement as we have ever had in women's hoops? yeah, sure. But I have more excitement about a midweek baseball game than a women's final 4. I'm may be in the minority though.

Promote the top assistant and pay them 200K/year.

You are def in the minority

confucius say
04-05-2020, 04:38 PM
We got the best decade of vics career, most likely. So that is good at least. Yes I know he has some left in the tank, but your fifties are usually your best.

DownwardDawg
04-05-2020, 04:45 PM

And history will probably show that he hired the best coaches in MSU history and won our first National Championship.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 05:03 PM
Cohen didn't lose either. Vic wanted to go back to Texas. Mullen wasn't planning on staying at MSU. He actually stayed a lot longer (by about 5 or 6 years) than he had originally planned too.

History will show 50 years from now that MSU lost it's best every two coaches under the same AD. Regardless of the reasons, that's a fact

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 05:04 PM
And history will probably show that he hired the best coaches in MSU history and won our first National Championship.

Goodness I hope so. Would certainly flip the script.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 05:06 PM
It's interesting how we come up with excuses now for these ADs while blaming Shira & Dudy Noble for losing the likes of Darrel Royal & firing Allen McKeen without knowing their excuses.

We also fire coaches when their best players are hurt or suspended.

Point is, stop making excuses. It's about wins & losses both on the field & off.

basedog
04-05-2020, 05:07 PM
History will show 50 years from now that MSU lost it's best every two coaches under the same AD. Regardless of the reasons, that's a fact

Who cares, you think most will be around and folks 50 years from now will be talking about it? Well, if you have a son your legacy will live on***

LOL, I'm not sure anyone will agree with your post about 50 years, but it is a message board and it's known you don't care for our AD.

HoopsDawg
04-05-2020, 05:09 PM

definitely not a fact. Mullen is not our best football coach in history. That is your opinion.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 05:10 PM
Who cares, you think most will be around and folks 50 years from now will be talking about it? Well, if you have a son your legacy will live on***

LOL, I'm not sure anyone will agree with your post about 50 years, but it is a message board and it's known you don't care for our AD.

I like our AD. Have no issues with what I know about him.

Just pointing out that we blame our former ADs for losing great coaches without knowing their side of the story, but we give Cohen excuses.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 05:11 PM
definitely not a fact. Mullen is not our best football coach in history. That is your opinion.

Ok. He's in the top 3 with no one clearly better

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2020, 05:12 PM

Exactly... it hurts... BAD... but damnit.. i understand.
Let's go get the next Vic... ugh... hard to type... have to trsut that can happen. go big.. wbb is a top 3 sport for us.

basedog
04-05-2020, 05:17 PM
I like our AD. Have no issues with what I know about him.

Just pointing out that we blame our former ADs for losing great coaches without knowing their side of the story, but we give Cohen excuses.

It's pretty obvious at least to me why Vic left. I also believe IF the Aggie job would have come available he would have left for it as well. Texas only has Baylor for competition, the Sec is much tougher than Big 12.

Vic looked like our team this past year to me, tired, he probably just gave himself another 4 to 6 years of being fired up and ready to prove his Hall Of Fame induction.

Austin is a pretty awesome city, it has a lot to offer plus he is back home, I can't blame him and I'm very thankful of his work.

I think I would talk to Johnnie Harris first, players seem to really like her, plus she is from what I have been told a recruiting star. I also wouldn't be surprise seeing her going to Texas either.

P.S. Wonder what the Aggies think of Vic now? LOL

KOdawg1
04-05-2020, 05:18 PM
Exactly... it hurts... BAD... but damnit.. i understand.
Let's go get the next Vic... ugh... hard to type... have to trsut that can happen. go big.. wbb is a top 3 sport for us.

If I'm Cohen, I swing big at first. We're a top 5 job in the country. If no one bites, then just hire Johnnie Harris because I think she'll do fine. But we're good enough that we don't have to settle if we don't want to

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 05:22 PM
I wonder if Geno may be ready for something different other than UCONN & to compete in a better conference.

You never know if a coach just may be ready for a new challenge

BeardoMSU
04-05-2020, 05:33 PM
I wonder if Geno may be ready for something different other than UCONN & to compete in a better conference.

You never know if a coach just may be ready for a new challenge

https://media.giphy.com/media/xUySTvHLVZLuS8EfKw/giphy.gif

KOdawg1
04-05-2020, 05:47 PM
Forget about Geno and Dawn. Not happening.

Here are a couple I'd call that are likely long shots but I make them tell me no:
Jeff Walz, Louisville
Kelly Graves, Oregon

More realistic candidates:
Matthew Mitchell, Kentucky
Johnnie Harris, asst MSU
Megan Duffy, Marquette

klong-dog
04-05-2020, 05:52 PM
Joni Taylor at Georgia. She's a MS gal herself.

Cooterpoot
04-05-2020, 05:59 PM
It'll be Mitchell. And that's not good. Walz would be my #1 but I doubt he leaves Louisville. Definitely look a Harris too.

Quaoarsking
04-05-2020, 06:07 PM
Should give this guy a call:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Johnston_(basketball)

Wins year in, year out at South Dakota State and has put 2 players in the WNBA.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 06:09 PM
Hate when this happens for the players. I hope Vic considered all this....

I always find it interesting how the media wants players to be able to freely transfer after a coach is fired, but is it fair to MSU for players to freely transfer after something like this? Can't have it both ways.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2020, 06:18 PM

Ugh. I want to trust Johnnie.. but I hope go hire a top 5 coach. we can afford it.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2020, 06:19 PM
I think there's only two names, it's either Johnnie Harris or Matthew Mitchell.

You don't have to overpay for either. They'll both probably take the hometown discount.

I don't know names.. but don't just go with Mitchell because he is a MSU guy. go get a top 5 coach and pay them. we can keep this on track.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2020, 06:22 PM
Hell Mulkey is only like 2.25. go pay her 2.5 or graves at oregon.

KOdawg1
04-05-2020, 06:24 PM
Hell Mulkey is only like 2.25. go pay her 2.5 or graves at oregon.

Graves makes 800k

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2020, 06:28 PM

And they went to better programs. f*ck off with your doom and gloom little mindset

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 06:47 PM
And they went to better programs. f*ck off with your doom and gloom little mindset

Vic went to a better program?

maroonmania
04-05-2020, 07:23 PM

I didn't want Mullen to stay because he didn't want to be at MSU anymore. At the time and even in hindsight I wish Mullen and crew would have hung around one more year to coach that loaded 2018 team. Probably overall the most talented team we've had and it was wasted on Moorhead. But after that I would have been fine for him to head out of town. As far as Vic, you do EVERYTHING you can to get him to stay, and I think we did that but I guess he just wanted to go back to Texas. He was loved by MSU fans and was probably the best coach in any sport in school history so I'm sick that he's leaving. BUT, what this does show me is that he was never going to finish his career at MSU. If he would leave for Texas now, you can bet your bottom dollar he would have left whenever Blair retires at A&M.

gtowndawg
04-05-2020, 07:25 PM
Guys, I'm just going to be honest. I don't care.

maroonmania
04-05-2020, 07:29 PM

Yea, if our women's program isn't making money it never will. Most games are close to full attendance and our fans travel way more for the women than the men. Only thing that might help the program make money is we will likely be paying our HC less now.

klong-dog
04-05-2020, 07:29 PM
K, cool.��*♂️

maroonmania
04-05-2020, 07:40 PM

Certainly not now, but historically yes. Look, we are a Top 5 program now WITH Vic. Without Vic (i.e. before Vic) we were not even a Top 50 program. I really don't know what we will be going forward but probably somewhere in between. Hopefully a lot closer to 5 than 50 but this is not like MSU baseball with a long storied history where its hard for us to screw up the program. This is a huge hire to get right if we are going to keep the momentum in WBB. If we think Harris can keep the current ball rolling I'm all for hiring her. But if we are going to hire from outside the program I do lean to the KY coach since he has roots nearby MSU and would be much more likely to stay long term than most.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 07:43 PM

I mostly agree.

I'm more disappointed about MSU losing a great coach than I really care about women's basketball

Todd4State
04-05-2020, 07:44 PM
Personally I think the best case scenario for us would be to hire someone like Mitchell and keep Harris as the top assistant. I don't know how likely that would be. But it would be to me the most ideal.

Cooterpoot
04-05-2020, 07:45 PM
I mostly agree.

I'm more disappointed about MSU losing a great coach than I really care about women's basketball

This is why so many say our fans are 17tards

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2020, 07:49 PM

3 final fours. a NC.
fine call it what it is family. something we ALL pride ourselves on... and is damn well true. we call ourselves family and we are but vic really has family in texas.

So there . thats why he went.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2020, 07:50 PM
I mostly agree.

You just stated you dont care about msu womens basketball.
So are you sexist? possible... think womens sports are less than mean
or just dont care and are posting on something you dont care about... so your opinion is worthless.

either way.. your opinion doesn't matter.

Captain Falcon
04-05-2020, 07:52 PM
Personally I think the best case scenario for us would be to hire someone like Mitchell and keep Harris as the top assistant. I don't know how likely that would be. But it would be to me the most ideal.

If Johnnie doesn’t get the HC job here I expect her to go to Texas with Vic.

basedog
04-05-2020, 07:57 PM
One thing I bet, a few HC for women's basketball about to get a raise. Johnnie Harris will for sure, either at Msu or maybe Texas.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2020, 07:58 PM
You just stated you dont care about msu womens basketball.
So are you sexist? possible... think womens sports are less than mean
or just dont care and are posting on something you dont care about... so your opinion is worthless.

either way.. your opinion doesn't matter.

Yours doesn't matter either.

KOdawg1
04-05-2020, 08:01 PM
Thanks for taking the time to let us know. I can sleep at night now knowing that you don't care

BeardoMSU
04-05-2020, 08:07 PM
I mostly agree.

Holy shit, lol. Do you get paid to start/post in a certain # of threads everyday, or something then? Otherwise, wtf?

ZedFedder
04-05-2020, 08:15 PM
Yeah, Johnnie Harris will be at UT if she isn't the head coach here.

NeuteredDawg
04-05-2020, 08:23 PM
Money aside ... not many want to live in Starkville, MS. Y?all can homer it up as much as you want. This is reality.

Bothrops
04-05-2020, 08:37 PM
Money aside ... not many want to live in Starkville, MS. Y?all can homer it up as much as you want. This is reality.

Starkville is still viewed today the same way it was 20 years ago by non MSU fans- and even many of them. You could make Starkville whatever you wanted to be right now, and people are gonna say the same shit about it for years to come.

natchez87
04-05-2020, 08:53 PM
This is why so many say our fans are 17tards

Agree. Like why even be on the thread if you don't care about women's basketball??? This is why none of the great players and great coaches want to come to a Mississippi school... because of idiotic people who say idiotic stuff like that.

R2Dawg
04-05-2020, 09:04 PM
Starkville is still viewed today the same way it was 20 years ago by non MSU fans- and even many of them. You could make Starkville whatever you wanted to be right now, and people are gonna say the same shit about it for years to come.

Starkville is a typical small college town. Nothing wrong with Starkville. At the end of the day, home is home. If you are from somewhere, home has a special draw I don't care where it is.

We must keep this team together and give the next coach a great shot at making another run. This is our best draw to get a top coach. Our talent and the plate is set for them to be successful.

natchez87
04-05-2020, 09:06 PM
I mostly agree.

Then why tf are y'all on the thread? Bye.

You don't look "cool" for stating you don't care about women's basketball. You look like an idiot for stating it in a thread that's literally dedicated to the topic.

msstatelp1
04-05-2020, 09:10 PM

According to a couple of other sites, this is the exact reason he left. He wants to spend whatever time they have left being as close to his parents as possible. I appreciate what Vic did for us.

StarkVegasSteve
04-05-2020, 09:19 PM
Dont overpay to get someone. You could offer Kelly Graves 800-850 and see if you could get him. If not, go to Mitchell and make him a fair offer and if he declines then get Johnnie Harris. There's no reason to overpay when we don't have to. Unless Auriemma or Staley calls you, then don't overpay. Odds are you're not going to get into a bidding war for a women's basketball coach. It's just the facts, there's only about 30 programs that give a rip about women's basketball.

natchez87
04-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Dont overpay to get someone. You could offer Kelly Graves 800-850 and see if you could get him. If not, go to Mitchell and make him a fair offer and if he declines then get Johnnie Harris. There's no reason to overpay when we don't have to. Unless Auriemma or Staley calls you, then don't overpay. Odds are you're not going to get into a bidding war for a women's basketball coach. It's just the facts, there's only about 30 programs that give a rip about women's basketball.

Not true. Women's Basketball is probably the most popular collegiate sport behind Football and Men's Basketball. ESPN will vouch for that.

msstate7
04-05-2020, 09:37 PM
Not true. Women's Basketball is probably the most popular collegiate sport behind Football and Men's Basketball. ESPN will vouch for that.

Not in our conference... it's clearly behind baseball

natchez87
04-05-2020, 09:42 PM
Not in our conference... it's clearly behind baseball

That's debatable but I didn't say in our conference. The poster said 30 programs nationwide. That's what I was referring to.

StarkVegasSteve
04-05-2020, 09:48 PM

But Football and Men's basketball are the only two that make money at every school except a handful where baseball makes a little money. Yes, even we lose money in women's basketball. No one wants to get into a bidding war for a sport that loses the school 7 figures annually.

natchez87
04-05-2020, 09:57 PM
But Football and Men's basketball are the only two that make money at every school except a handful where baseball makes a little money. Yes, even we lose money in women's basketball. No one wants to get into a bidding war for a sport that loses the school 7 figures annually.

Lol. No. It's no way they were paying Vic and other collegiate Women's Basketball coaches millions of dollars if Women's Basketball doesn't make any money for the schools. Women's College Basketball is on ESPN networks more than baseball and the schools get paid for that as well. Not sure where you're getting that info from.

StarkVegasSteve
04-05-2020, 10:03 PM
"What Vic Schaefer and his staff have done here is unbelievable. They built the program from scratch, from the ground up. They deserve a lot of credit. While it is not net revenue producing, the ambassadors they are for Mississippi State University, Mississippi State athletics and ultimately for our fanbase is great. (As for men's basketball) it produces more revenue then women's basketball from the standpoint of ticket prices and donations.

-Jared Benko in a Gene's Page interview Dec. 16 2019

That's where I got my information from. Also LSU released it's budget last week and women's basketball lost the school 2 mil.

natchez87
04-05-2020, 10:34 PM
"What Vic Schaefer and his staff have done here is unbelievable. They built the program from scratch, from the ground up. They deserve a lot of credit. While it is not net revenue producing, the ambassadors they are for Mississippi State University, Mississippi State athletics and ultimately for our fanbase is great. (As for men's basketball) it produces more revenue then women's basketball from the standpoint of ticket prices and donations.

-Jared Benko in a Gene's Page interview Dec. 16 2019

That's where I got my information from. Also LSU released it's budget last week and women's basketball lost the school 2 mil.

"Net revenue producing" takes into account expenses. Expenses include costs for things like facilities, event staffing, etc... which multiple sports use. (exerpt below) To say that Women's Basketball doesn't make any money for the school is inaccurate. The amount of money that a sport generates has nothing to do with how the school chooses to SPEND the money. Schools make a lot of money off the NCAA Tournament/Final Four alone.

From USA Today: "Another figure that contributed to MSU's rise in expenses, which saw an increase of approximately $15 million for the second straight year, was a $6 million rise in cost for facilities."

And it goes without saying that LSU doesn't represent every athletic department in the nation.

FISHDAWG
04-06-2020, 07:01 AM

so you think we can pony up against Texas ? ... you know - the one school with the largest athletic budget by far ?

gtowndawg
04-06-2020, 11:05 AM
Thanks for taking the time to let us know. I can sleep at night now knowing that you don't care

Sorry your feeling are hurt but it's like losing the track or tennis coach to me. I know we are good in those sports but it's not something the average sports fan follows. None of my State friends (and I texted them all yesterday) lost a wink of sleep over this and neither did I. I'm just being honest.

KOdawg1
04-06-2020, 11:15 AM
Sorry your feeling are hurt but it's like losing the track or tennis coach to me. I know we are good in those sports but it's not something the average sports fan follows. None of my State friends (and I texted them all yesterday) lost a wink of sleep over this and neither did I. I'm just being honest.

My feelings aren't hurt. But if you don't care, then why even bother posting? The fact is, many do care, and quite frankly, don't give a shit that you don't. I don't care about our soccer team, but if someone starts a thread on it, I'm not going to comment, "I don't care."

gtowndawg
04-06-2020, 12:01 PM
My feelings aren't hurt. But if you don't care, then why even bother posting? The fact is, many do care, and quite frankly, don't give a shit that you don't. I don't care about our soccer team, but if someone starts a thread on it, I'm not going to comment, "I don't care."

It's a major thread. Some people are upset and obviously do care and that's fine. But there's also a lot that don't care and want that expressed as well. I'm just posting that side of the equation. We can agree to disagree, I'm fine with that. No hard feelings.

smootness
04-06-2020, 02:34 PM
"Net revenue producing" takes into account expenses. Expenses include costs for things like facilities, event staffing, etc... which multiple sports use. (exerpt below) To say that Women's Basketball doesn't make any money for the school is inaccurate. The amount of money that a sport generates has nothing to do with how the school chooses to SPEND the money. Schools make a lot of money off the NCAA Tournament/Final Four alone.

From USA Today: "Another figure that contributed to MSU's rise in expenses, which saw an increase of approximately $15 million for the second straight year, was a $6 million rise in cost for facilities."

And it goes without saying that LSU doesn't represent every athletic department in the nation.

Correct, it doesn't produce a net positive when accounting for cost. So it doesn't make money for the school on its own.

Now, obviously there is a benefit or the school wouldn't be willing to spend on it. That benefit is seen in other ways, I'm sure - exposure, branding, increased applications and enrollment, etc. I'm sure when all possible avenues are explored, it is a gain for the university. But the sport itself, in terms of costs out versus revenues in, does not end up making money.

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2020, 02:37 PM
so you think we can pony up against Texas ? ... you know - the one school with the largest athletic budget by far ?

Well, we matched their offer and we were talking about “program” not total resources.

Dawg2003
04-06-2020, 02:37 PM

The average sports fan doesn't care about college baseball either, but you don't see people coming on threads to proclaim how much they don't care about baseball.

gtowndawg
04-06-2020, 04:27 PM
The average sports fan doesn't care about college baseball either, but you don't see people coming on threads to proclaim how much they don't care about baseball.

Actually I've done that exact thing. I had a long thread one time showing (statistically) that college baseball is meaningless (in terms of revenue and viewership) in the real work compared to football and men's basketball. It's our pet sport, no doubt, and many enjoy going but to 99% of people in this country nobody has a clue who's good in college baseball and who sucks. Not looking to argue, I know that's not a popular decision, but just calling it like I see it, that's all.

Homedawg
04-06-2020, 05:48 PM
Lol. No. It's no way they were paying Vic and other collegiate Women's Basketball coaches millions of dollars if Women's Basketball doesn't make any money for the schools. Women's College Basketball is on ESPN networks more than baseball and the schools get paid for that as well. Not sure where you're getting that info from.

Sorry bud but we were losing our ass on women's basketball. Millions not a million. It's a fact.

MabenMaroon
04-06-2020, 09:52 PM
Should give this guy a call:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Johnston_(basketball)

Wins year in, year out at South Dakota State and has put 2 players in the WNBA.

their chief rivals coach Dawn Plitzuweit, who has done quite well at South Dakota, not as provenas Aaron Johnston though.
One other worth a look would be Karl Smesko at FGCU, has 30+ wins multiple times ( 3 in the last 4 years ) and that is tough to do regardless what conference your in. His teams also will beat or play down to the wire a P5 school almost every year, including a Top 20 UK a year or so ago.