PDA

View Full Version : Define: Getting out coached

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I see this thrown out every time our team or any other team loses a game, and, as someone who has actually coached, I don't know what definition you guys are using to say a "team got out coached."

Multiple choice: Does getting out coached mean....

1. That the coach's lost the game, and, since the coach is responsible for everything, every lost game is the coach's fault.

2. The coach made a strategic error that cost his team the game.

3. The coach had a poor game plan, and thus the team never had a chance. (Not a good argument when the coach's team beats the other team in virtually every stat.)

4. Even with a good plan, and winning every statistic, the team just doesn't generally look well coached.

I realize that more than one of these my be the correct answer, so multiple answers are OK. Also, any additional definitions of your own will be accepted.

Question #2

What series of events in a game indicate that the players were mainly to blame? How could can any team ever lose a game and people say that they weren't out coached, it was either the players fault or a "just baseball" type situation that was just part of the game?

DawgsBite34
11-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I see this thrown out every time our team or any other team loses a game, and, as someone who has actually coached, I don't know what definition you guys are using to say a "team got out coached."

1. That the coach's lost the game, and, since the coach is responsible for everything, every lost game is the coach's fault.

3. The coach had a poor game plan, and thus the team never had a chance. (Not a good argument when the coach's team beats the other team in virtually every stat.)

4. Even with a good plan, and winning every statistic, the team just doesn't generally look well coached.

I realize that more than one of these my be the correct answer, so multiple answers are OK. Also, any additional definitions of your own will be accepted.

Question #2

What series of events in a game indicate that the players were mainly to blame? How could can any team ever lose a game and people say that they weren't out coached, it was either the players fault or a "just baseball" type situation that was just part of the game?

As someone who has coached as well, as far as Dan goes its 2 and 4. He preaches relentless effort for 60 minutes. Havent seen that yet this year except maybe vs Troy and Alcorn when the backups backups were playing. His playcalling is atrocious at times and he misuses timeouts consistently. I know Dak burned that last one in the first half yesterday but my damn, Mullen just called a timeout to get a playcall in and if we don't know how to lineup after a timeout then that is on coaching. Question # 2: If you have a dropped pass, fumble, or a dumb personal foul penalty is when you blame the players. We have had some of both this year for State, for example, if Lewis catches that ball on 3rd and 13 for a first down late in the game vs Auburn we win that game. But at the same time, the playcalling in the 2nd half was awful by Dan and he burned a timeout to run a ''no play'' on 4th down to try and draw auburn off-sides which killed us later in the 4th. Its a little of both but with Mullen its happened time and time again

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2013, 11:14 AM
As someone who has coached as well, as far as Dan goes its 2 and 4. He preaches relentless effort for 60 minutes. Havent seen that yet this year except maybe vs Troy and Alcorn when the backups backups were playing. His playcalling is atrocious at times and he misuses timeouts consistently. I know Dak burned that last one in the first half yesterday but my damn, Mullen just called a timeout to get a playcall in and if we don't know how to lineup after a timeout then that is on coaching. Question # 2: If you have a dropped pass, fumble, or a dumb personal foul penalty is when you blame the players. We have had some of both this year for State, for example, if Lewis catches that ball on 3rd and 13 for a first down late in the game vs Auburn we win that game. But at the same time, the playcalling in the 2nd half was awful by Dan and he burned a timeout to run a ''no play'' on 4th down to try and draw auburn off-sides which killed us later in the 4th. Its a little of both but with Mullen its happened time and time again

Fair points.

I thought we played with relentless effort yesterday. Not sure where the lack of effort was

Ronny
11-03-2013, 11:14 AM
..knows who to get his team's energy level up (both mental & physical) as a game approaches.

This is a main beef I have with Mullen: This year his team seems downright lazy & disinterested. Especially the defense. And when the game arrives, the whole squad appears lost. In my book that's a prime example of bad coaching.

I agree with all you multiple choice offerings.

But I think a coach's main task (at least on game day) if to get the mental & physical energy of his team at peak level. Some call it focus. If you can coach focus, you are going to win a bunch of games.

This year, I don't think Mullen has enough control over his team to successfully do this.

DawgsBite34
11-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Fair points.

I thought we played with relentless effort yesterday. Not sure where the lack of effort was

When it got 24-10 the whole team said the hell with it. Even Dan did, hes done that multiple times. We go down and score, down 34-16 with two timeouts, got the ball back and we are still huddling up and dickin around. Even after we scored to make it 34-16 he KICKED IT DEEP ON THE KICKOFF instead of doing an onside to give us a chance. He quit. Just like vs LSU in 2011. Were down 19-6 with TR in the game finally and we're moving the ball. Dan has all 3 or at least 2 timeouts I cant quite remember but he quit. He didn't call not one of them and just let the clock run out. Im sick and tired of that garbage. Mullen is AWFUL

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2013, 11:21 AM
..knows who to get his team's energy level up (both mental & physical) as a game approaches.

This is a main beef I have with Mullen: This year his team seems downright lazy & disinterested. Especially the defense. And when the game arrives, the whole squad appears lost. In my book that's a prime example of bad coaching.

I agree with all you multiple choice offerings.

But I think a coach's main task (at least on game day) if to get the mental & physical energy of his team at peak level. Some call it focus. If you can coach focus, you are going to win a bunch of games.

This year, I don't think Mullen has enough control over his team to successfully do this.

But we got a 3 and out to start the game yesterday and scored on our first drive. Doesn't that mean the team showed up ready to play?

BulldogBear
11-03-2013, 02:08 PM
It snowballed from the 2nd turnover. I don't know what went on on the sidelines afterwards. If they didn't have a "calm down" meeting then it's on the coach. If they did and we still fell apart it's on the players maybe. 27 points off turnovers. That's not gameplan's fault. The gameplan was more or less sound. A turnover or 2 is "just football" ....but 5... could still be on the coach in the end for not being able to settle them down.

Jack Lambert
11-03-2013, 06:39 PM

Question #2

Last week Sc had turn overs that almost cost them the game and this week we had turn overs that won them the game. I think we had a good game plan and good play calling but our guys just turned the ball over way too much. Take back the five turn overs and we win 17 plus to 7. Those turn overs are not on the coaches.

donald igwebuike
11-03-2013, 06:44 PM
I think the *(one of the) problems is there's a great gulf between Dan and his asst. coaches. I don't know if incompetence or perceived, but there doesn't seem to be quality communication between them.

REVOTS
11-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I remember watching State play Florida in Starkville in the early 80s. Everytime FL got in 3rd and long they would put 2 receivers to one side then the running back would go in motion toward that side. The receivers would run flys to clear out and the back would do an out pattern ever how far they needed to get the first down. Everytime they got in that formation and the back started motion, everyone in the stands would say, here goes that play. They ran it over and over and we never adjusted. That is getting out coached.

dawgoneyall
11-03-2013, 09:31 PM
You only win games where you have superior personnel and lose games where the talent is equal and never win games when you have inferior personnel.

And can't seem to acquire better personnel (that is a very important part of collegiate football).

CadaverDawg
11-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Getting outcoached can be several different things. For instance, when Malzahn went for 2 on his first drive and got it, and then Mullen went for 2 on our first drive and missed it. Dan was out coached on that because he allowed Malzahn to get in his head.

When you go down the field on your first drive and score, and then the other team adjusts, and you never score again. You were outcoached because the opponents adjusted and you were never able to adjust and find the end zone again.

When every one of our opponents starts the game off with a deep out route and every single game the guy is wide open...you are being out coached.

When you are successful running the ball, and you quit running the ball...meanwhile your opponent is successful throwing it so they keep throwing it...and they win, you have been outcoached.

When you continue to allow a QB to throw INT's for an entire game and just keep calling pass plays and it ends up burying you....the player deserves blame, but you have been outcoached because you let your stubbornness cost you the game. When you do it in a bowl game in 2012 and then again 8 games later and do not learn your lesson...not only are you being outcoached, you're proving that you are a bad coach,

I don't think there is a simple answer for being outcoached. Sometimes you just get beat by a better group of players. Sometimes you drop too many passes, commit too many turnovers, etc. and if the coach is attempting to limit those mistakes by swapping QB's, calling less pass plays, calling easier pass plays, etc....they are not being out coached.

Just my opinion on it.

CadaverDawg
11-03-2013, 09:35 PM
You only win games where you have superior personnel and lose games where the talent is equal and never win games when you have inferior personnel.

And can't seem to acquire better personnel (that is a very important part of collegiate football).

Good post

DawgsBite34
11-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Dan Mullen in a nutshell^^^^