PDA

View Full Version : Similar to other thread, name best MS basketball players you played against or saw

R2Dawg
03-31-2020, 11:58 AM
Here are mine.

Point Guard - Tony Edmonds, 6' Corinth. Maybe best PG in state his senior year; signed with MSU but dropped out of school. He was cat quick and had great explosion to the hole.

2Guard - Tim Jumper, 6'3" Baldwyn. Most talented HS player I played against. Got a nickname "baby Jordan" not just for his looks (although he really looked like Jordan, walked like and even played a little like" Only played against him a few times. One game he stole ball and jumped over our forward for a 2 hand dunk. Soon as he stole the ball I started praying for our defender who was helpless. Jumper went to Olemiss and was SEC freshman of the year. He blew his kness out which ended his career ultimately.

Forward - Steve Davis, 6'6" Corinth - I was several years older than him and he was young when I was a senior. I got the best of him that one year but that was the only year I would have competed with him. He ended up at Olemiss and was also the SEC freshman of the year.

Center - David Foote, 6'6 New Albany - Lean and quick for a center. I did not see a lot of dominant centers in HS but he was one of the better ones.

Guard - Fred Stafford, 6'3", Biggersville - played against Fred a lot, had some good battles with him. They won state his senior year, he later played in JUCO NC game and lost to the Larry Johnson Stacy Augmon JUCO school. He later went to UNA and won a DII national championship. He got to play in old Boston Garden and was MVP of the NC game.

I could list a bunch more that didn't play college ball that were really, really good. Played against some really good players in some tourneys but don't remember their names. They were some of top teams in the state so they were probably a few big names.

Commercecomet24
03-31-2020, 12:11 PM
I'm old but 2 of the best I ever saw in person were Derrick Mckey and Eddie Pope. I went to school at MHS and played baseball there. Derrick and Eddie had some tremendous battles against each other. The games between those 2 at that time was must see. Derrick went on to have a solid NBA career and I just saw where Eddie passed away recently. 2 of the best big men I ever saw in high school ball.

99jc
03-31-2020, 12:36 PM
It wasn't in Mississippi but I played a pickup game in South Carolina against Kevin Garnett when he was 17. He lived in Simpsonville SC at the time. Yeah he was good !

William Tecumsah Sherman
03-31-2020, 12:42 PM
I played high school basketball at the same time as Monta Ellis played at Lanier. He was unbelievable.

R2Dawg
03-31-2020, 01:27 PM
Forgot about playing with/against some guys at basketball camp. One Andy Kennedy comes to mind. Also got to shoot a few with Jeff Malone which was cool.

R2Dawg
03-31-2020, 01:28 PM
I played high school basketball at the same time as Monta Ellis played at Lanier. He was unbelievable.

Monta could play even though I never saw him in person.

KentuckyDawg13
03-31-2020, 02:41 PM
Fellow Gulfport High alum, Chris Jackson, now Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.

RiverCityDawg
03-31-2020, 02:53 PM

I was in the gym when Monta scored 72 on Greenwood. He was pulling up and draining it from the half court circle. Everyone on Greenwood's team took turns trying to guard him. The Greenwood crowd wasn't even mad, they were cheering in amazement.

R2Dawg
03-31-2020, 03:34 PM
Fellow Gulfport High alum, Chris Jackson, now Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.

Maybe best scoring guard to play college basketball. He was on fire every night.

gtowndawg
03-31-2020, 04:07 PM
Not Mississippi but I played against Cedric Henderson (Memphis East). He was a McDonald's All American and had a good NBA career. He looked like an NBA player in high school.

Red Clay Hills
03-31-2020, 09:55 PM
Jason Campbell from Taylorsville. Auburn and NFL QB was best I ever played against. Pretty certain he could have played hoops at Auburn. 6'5 and could fill it up and throw it down. No emotion, whatsoever. Played completely level headed. His dad was their coach.

MaroonFlounder
04-01-2020, 05:24 PM
It wasn't in Mississippi but I played a pickup game in South Carolina against Kevin Garnett when he was 17. He lived in Simpsonville SC at the time. Yeah he was good !

Damn straight he was.

He made sure Howard Ratner won that parlay in the Eastern conference semifinal vs the Sixers.

tcdog70
04-02-2020, 09:58 AM
I am Old--But-Randy Hodges-West Lauderdale--also a Bulldog--he would have killed it from 3 point line
2. Marlon Murphy--Southeast Lauderdale--signed with the Braves but played basketball at Scooba Tech
3. Wendell Ladner-from the Coast--a legend--when he died Dr J was a pall barer.
4.Larry Guyton from Tupelo--also a Bulldog
5.Waldo Quarles--from Dekalb-could score 30 every night--State champion in the Mile--also all state wr for Bull Sullivan at scooba Tech

dawgman
04-02-2020, 10:56 AM
Played against Jerry Jenkins

YoungB
04-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Darryl Wilson was playing pick up ball in the Tin Gym the fall after the final four. Ball of muscle

Cooterpoot
04-02-2020, 11:48 AM
Eric Moulds
Steve McNair
Moulds dunked and ripped the goal braces loose from the ceiling. Insulation came down with it too.

msbulldog
04-02-2020, 12:15 PM
I played Walter Packer in the old gym behind the boomerang dorms when we were freshmen.

Ezsoil
04-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Tom Shuberth ate my lunch one day in Tin gym

tcdog70
04-02-2020, 01:18 PM
Tom Shuberth ate my lunch one day in Tin gym

I Played against Shuberth in a pick up game-he didn't miss. he said we were too short to alter his shot.

hailmari
04-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Lamar Sanders from Hickory Flat- SF/PF went on to play at a smaller school in Texas. I forgot the name, but he ultimately ended up playing some pro ball overseas.

Curry Todd from Byhalia- he?d drain from half court anytime he was left open. Not sure where he ended up.

Those two played against each other a lot in HS and ultimately ended up on the same JUCO team. Northwest, I believe.

revdrdawg
04-02-2020, 07:50 PM
Played against Jerry Jenkins and Walter Wright in intramural after they used up their eligibility but were still on campus.

Political Hack
04-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Marcus Bullard was the best high school player I've ever been on the floor with. With or against.

Avelso
04-02-2020, 08:08 PM
The shout out to Marlon Murphy warms my soul. He sat in AAA for several years behind a guy with the last name of Aaron. My Sophomore year in HS Mr Murphy was asked to take BP with us. He hit 5 out of 10 450 feet. His only comment afterwards was ?dang these new bats are something else.? His son Glenn passed away last year. RIP Murph

For the record there were about 3 future pro players on my HS team. We had seen greatness. None of us had ever seen what Mr Marlon could do to a baseball. He was in his early 40?s. One of the most impressive athletic performances I had ever seen.

BrunswickDawg
04-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Not MS - but Dale Ellis was the best I've ever seen on a high school floor. That man could rain shots like no one else. 2x SEc POY at UT, 17 year NBA career.

Next best was the 2001 1 pick Kwame Brown. 6'11" guys playing against high schoolers really shouldn't be allowed.

Mr todd French
04-02-2020, 09:41 PM
I didn?t play but I went To Jackson state gym to watch Lawrence County play Murrah. LCH had just won I think their 3rd 4A state championship. Murrah had won a few as well. It was on pay per view. Dampier, Vandal Thomas, and Eric?s half brother Vanderbilt I think. Ricky Henderson, Jesse pate, and Othello Harrington. LCH won it was awesome. I probably got some of that wrong but it?s been a while.

Fred Garvin
04-02-2020, 10:12 PM
1. Kenny Gambrell - Jim Hill, 6'7" and about 275 lb. An absolute load. Pushed me around like a rag doll. I think he went on to Western Kentucky
2. Eddie Archie - Callaway, probably about 5'10". The fastest player I ever played against. Played at Alcorn
3. Mark Coleman - Forest Hill, led them to a State Championship. Don't remember if or where he went to college. Maybe MS Valley.
4. Ricky Short - Murrah. 6'7". An absolute man-child. There's no way he was anywhere close to being an 18 year old high school senior.

tcdog70
04-03-2020, 07:46 PM
The shout out to Marlon Murphy warms my soul. He sat in AAA for several years behind a guy with the last name of Aaron. My Sophomore year in HS Mr Murphy was asked to take BP with us. He hit 5 out of 10 450 feet. His only comment afterwards was ?dang these new bats are something else.? His son Glenn passed away last year. RIP Murph

For the record there were about 3 future pro players on my HS team. We had seen greatness. None of us had ever seen what Mr Marlon could do to a baseball. He was in his early 40?s. One of the most impressive athletic performances I had ever seen.

Murph, could have played in SEC in basketball. Had he not signed with the Braves. He was hell in basketball.