PDA

View Full Version : The reason this has become so frustrating

MetEdDawg
11-03-2013, 10:37 AM
is because people on here don't know who to blame. First it's Stricklin for putting together an "impossible schedule" with OSU on there. Then it's Dan's fault and we should have beaten OSU and SC and Auburn and hung with LSU. Collins can't coach defense, Koenning is being blamed, Hevesy sucks, the players aren't doing things right, Bracky can't do his job, the alumni aren't stepping up, the fans are pissed.

Do you people not see the big picture??? The whole system is screwed up at our institution and I think Dan is the one who has finally exposed it with the initially good play followed by the poor play this year. The entire network is busted and everyone is throwing darts to try and blame someone because we aren't better than what we are showing this year. There shouldn't be this many people to blame in regards to the football related activities of an SEC school. Go ask yourselves if you truly think Dan is the whole problem and I'll hang up and listen because there is something much larger wrong with this current situation.

civildawg
11-03-2013, 10:43 AM
If the whole network is the problem then how do we get it fixed? I think you're right. So instead of complaining let's try to get it fixed. Someone post some first steps to get it fixed because I have no idea where to begin. If we really want to win then let's unite as a fan base and get the necessary changes made. I'm all aboard. I'm tired of complaining I just want to get it done

engie
11-03-2013, 10:49 AM
I think all of them need their feet held to the fire -- and are getting just that. All of the finger pointing and division is a symptom of poor leadership. Period.

Dan is a problem. Strick is becoming a problem. Bracky is a problem.

The alumni and Bracky issue is fixed with the correct hire for next head coach. It's my opinion that the coaching change forces other changes -- and thus why it's the logical first step. And if Strick stays on his current path of supporting/shielding Bracky(along with Keenum), while talking midyear extensions with Mullen right now, his head needs to be on the chopping block as well.

MetEdDawg
11-03-2013, 11:19 AM
I think Bracky is a liability no doubt and that has to be fixed. I also think all involved need to be held accountable for the lack of success. But I don't think I place as much of the blame on Dan as I do the rest of the system. Do I think firing Dan could be a trigger point to fix these things? Possibly. But to me that's the whole problem. We have to fire a head coach to fix the problems that the head coaches' success and subsequent lack of success shed light on. To me that makes no sense.

Here's the problem I think. I like Dan and think he's good enough to win big at MSU. I like Stricklin and think he can be a good AD. But the problem is THEY ARE BOTH THE SAME PERSON. They were/are doing on the job training at the same time and THAT can spell disaster for a football program. Let's look at our last 2 ADs:

Byrne was regional director of development for Oregon in 1995. Associate AD of development for Oregon State in 1998-2001. Then from 2002-2005 associate AD for development and fundraising for Kentucky. Then national director of sales for a litigation corporation in 2006. Then he took over as AD for us.

Stricklin was a associate media relations at Auburn for baseball from 1993-1998. Then top media relations post at Tulane for a year. 1999-2003 assistant AD for communications and marketing at Baylor, then held a similar position at Kentucky. Then came to MSU as Senior AD for external affairs.

Just look at the difference here. Byrne was bred from day 1 to lead and be a leader for the athletics at a BCS school. Stricklin is still way behind Byrne's level of experience and pedigree. There seemed to be a much more clearly focused message when Byrne was here because he was the man and the guy everyone knew was in charge. Not sure that's how it is with Stricklin now.

Dan and Stricklin are both young and still learning their jobs, which means there could be two very different messages and schools of thought coming from our athletic department. Could also mean there may be some jockeying for position between the two for control. I'm not saying that's what is happening, but if the system is broken, this to me seems as good a place to start as any. Seems like our ship has not run as smoothly since Byrne left which to me means there isn't a clear voice that's captaining us right now.