PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Give All Spring Sports Athletes Another Year....

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2020, 06:53 PM
1. Everyone gets another year of eligibility
2. SRs will not count vs the 35 man roster or the 27 man scholarship limit
3. What we don't know is if SRs will count vs the 11.7 scholarships
4. What will be interesting is to see what coaches do with quality SRs that are blocking quality draft HS prospects from starting next season. Will that lower the draft prospects draft signability or will the coach run off the SR who would in most cases win the starting job? That's a HUGE question
5. I think this virtually assures that the draft will be at least 10 rounds. Can't have a back log of that many good players in college baseball. It's not fair to next year's draft class to do so.

Homedawg
03-30-2020, 07:03 PM
Wo raising the 11.7 its a mess. Even wo the sr....as I said before w ncaa will find a way not screw it up...... the long term effects of this are going to be really tough on coaches, since they just made this a one year "fix ".

Dawgology
03-30-2020, 08:04 PM
Yeah they really just need to pull 10 schollies from football and put them in baseball. It would be an easy fix and two birds one stone

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2020, 08:19 PM
Yeah they really just need to pull 10 schollies from football and put them in baseball. It would be an easy fix and two birds one stone

Yup. Would help both sports immeasurably

Homedawg
03-30-2020, 08:22 PM

There are just over 100 d1 football schools and 300 ish baseball. It doesn't work that way. Obviously all of us in the sec want the 11.7 to go up. It was 13 during my day and that wasn't enough. It's a crime.

Todd4State
03-30-2020, 08:46 PM
I hope this sets a precedent where scholarships get raised.

I can dream anyway.

MaroonFlounder
03-30-2020, 10:11 PM
Yup. Would help both sports immeasurably

You serious Clark?

Rob from football to pay baseball?

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2020, 10:13 PM
You serious Clark?

No. Increase the competition in football, which would bring more money to the sport while also allotting those scholarships to baseball to meet Title 9.

Football in no way needs anything close to 85 scholarships & the over abundance of scholarships in the sport actually hurts the sport due to a few programs hoarding an inordinate amount of the top talent.

maroonmania
03-30-2020, 11:12 PM
You serious Clark?

Absolutely, would make both sports better. Football needs to be robbed with its glut of scholarships. Only about 8-10 schools that can win a NC in football right now because they horde all the top talent. Take a player or 2 away from the signing class of AL, Clemson, Ohio St., LSU, Oklahoma, etc every year and it would at least close the gap a little bit on talent. As far as baseball and basketball, it is totally stupid that they throw 300+ schools into D1. There should be 2 different D1 divisions just like football and then you wouldn't have schools like a Ball State telling the SEC what they can and can't do with number of coaches and number of scholarships in baseball. So many things with the NCAA are out of whack that could be easily fixed or greatly improved if someone there would use some common sense.

KOdawg1
03-30-2020, 11:14 PM
You serious Clark?

Football doesn't need those scholarships. All they're good for is for the Alabama's of the world to stockpile talent. Think about if Bama, LSU, and Georgia had to cut 10 players each. Would you want some of those players? Reducing football scholarships gives schools like us a fighting chance. We still won't get the top tier of talent, but we may start pulling guys from that second tier.

MaroonFlounder
03-31-2020, 09:07 AM
No. Increase the competition in football, which would bring more money to the sport while also allotting those scholarships to baseball to meet Title 9.

Football in no way needs anything close to 85 scholarships & the over abundance of scholarships in the sport actually hurts the sport due to a few programs hoarding an inordinate amount of the top talent.

I disagree. The injuries that pile up in football (an EXTREME contact sport) means extra scholarships are needed compared to baseball and basketball. The last 2 years we've had to shuffle defensive secondary around due to injuries and were close to having to put a walkon out there.

MaroonFlounder
03-31-2020, 09:10 AM
Football doesn't need those scholarships. All they're good for is for the Alabama's of the world to stockpile talent. Think about if Bama, LSU, and Georgia had to cut 10 players each. Would you want some of those players? Reducing football scholarships gives schools like us a fighting chance. We still won't get the top tier of talent, but we may start pulling guys from that second tier.

See my response to Shotgun. If we have a rash of injuries in a particular position group we will have walkons out there against the likes of the 4 and 5-star Bamas and LSUs of the world and get crushed.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 09:11 AM
I disagree. The injuries that pile up in football (an EXTREME contact sport) means extra scholarships are needed compared to baseball and basketball. The last 2 years we've had to shuffle defensive secondary around due to injuries and were close to having to put a walkon out there.

Of course more schollies are needed than baseball and basketball, but not 85.

The NFL plays football with 53 man rosters + a practice squad of 10 players. The NFL also has the ability to sign players off the street to play immediately. 53 + 10 + 10 = 73. There's no reason we can't cut 10 schollies from football tomorrow, which would make football significantly more competitive while also allowing 10 extra schollies to men's sports under Title 9

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 09:13 AM
See my response to Shotgun. If we have a rash of injuries in a particular position group we will have walkons out there against the likes of the 4 and 5-star Bamas and LSUs of the world and get crushed.

First off, we're already getting crushed. This only helps the sport

Secondly, Bama and LSU would have the same problem and small margin for error.

It would help the game considerably.

Just so you know, we've already debated this numerous times to the end of the Earth and back on this board. We can counter any argument you may think of in the next 10 minutes or the next month. Just giving you heads up.

MaroonFlounder
03-31-2020, 09:15 AM
First off, we're already getting crushed.

Secondly, Bama and LSU would have the same problem and small margin for error.

It would help the game considerably.

Just so you know, we've already debated this numerous times to the end of the Earth and back on this board. We can counter any argument you may think of in the next 10 minutes or the next month. Just giving you heads up.

That's fine, just saying it won't necessarily help us out. Tennessee would be back to national power status though. Deny that.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 09:18 AM
That's fine, just saying it won't necessarily help us out. Tennessee would be back to national power status though. Deny that.

How would it not help us out?

There would be a lot more teams that have the potential to win a Natty, including us. That's the point. It helps the sport grow as significantly more fan bases have a chance.

Why do I care if Tennessee has a chance?

KOdawg1
03-31-2020, 09:24 AM

They'll have injuries too.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 09:25 AM
Additionally, by reducing scholarships by 10, you would narrow the field enough that numerous other programs would have the potential build a winnings tradition & perhaps over the course of 20 years or so the difference between Alabama's football program & Mississippi State's football program would be similar to the difference between LSU's baseball program & Ole Miss' baseball program.

Yes, LSU's tradition & program is better than Ole Miss' in baseball, but in any one season, they likely have similar to close to similar type players, which creates an extremely intense, every game matters, competitive college baseball season.

You also would see less coach hopping. If Mullen like he had similar odds to win a natty at MSU as he did Florida, does he leave? Does Tuberville leave Ole Miss for Auburn? etc....

Those things allow more programs that run things correctly to build a winning tradition, which only allows college football to grow in popularity, attendance, & ratings.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 09:26 AM
They'll have injuries too.

It's like he's never thought about this & is now asking the right questions. In about 3 more posts & questions, he'll agree with us.

Pinto
03-31-2020, 09:39 AM
I know leach will never go for it, but just for boredom sakes - say a school did put 10 baseball guys on football scholarships. Is that allowed? How does that count on baseball scholarships?

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 09:47 AM
I know leach will never go for it, but just for boredom sakes - say a school did put 10 baseball guys on football scholarships. Is that allowed? How does that count on baseball scholarships?

I think that would actually be OK, but no one has ever tried it due to obvious reasons.

MaroonFlounder
03-31-2020, 10:06 AM
It's like he's never thought about this & is now asking the right questions. In about 3 more posts & questions, he'll agree with us.

All things being equal on the injury front, the elite teams will STILL have marginally more talent.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 10:11 AM
All things being equal on the injury front, the elite teams will STILL have marginally more talent.

Agree, but the key word in your sentence is MARGINALLY

Currently it's not MARGINALLY. MARGINALLY would greatly increase the competition & popularity of college football. Similar to how MARGINALLY has increased the popularity of the NFL

FISHDAWG
03-31-2020, 10:12 AM

agree ... but maybe instead of that 4 or 5 star back-up sitting on the bench now is starting somewhere else on another team ... I can see a trickle down effect possibly

MaroonFlounder
03-31-2020, 10:14 AM
Agree, but the key word in your sentence is MARGINALLY

Currently it's not MARGINALLY. MARGINALLY would greatly increase the competition & popularity of college football. Similar to how MARGINALLY has increased the popularity of the NFL

Ok. I'd love to see it happen just to see if your theory is proven or disproven. We will still have one of the lowest recruiting budgets in the SEC. It will probably help the cheaters up north more than us, to be honest. Do you want that?

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 10:22 AM
Ok. I'd love to see it happen just to see if your theory is proven or disproven. We will still have one of the lowest recruiting budgets in the SEC. It will probably help the cheaters up north more than us, to be honest. Do you want that?

- Yes I want that because I want a greater chance, at least a chance at winning a national title. Regardless of how it effects OM. It only makes the Egg Bowl & Mississippi CFB better.

- Yes, Southern Miss would also have a greater chance at beating us, but I'm fine with that because it brings with it a greater chance of MSU winning & other teams winning big. It's brings more drama to the sport.

- So many people in this discussion talk about their fears of lesser programs narrowing the gap, but I prefer to look at the upside of how it would overall help the sport.

- You love to see if my theory is proven or disproven? What theory do I have? I don't see a theory here. I see a fact. College football would undoubtedly become more competitive with reduced scholarships. Maybe not so much at first with who won the natty, but the games themselves would become much more competitive.

- There are few things college football wise that is worse than tuning into a the CBS 2:30 game & seeing blowouts most weekends. That sucks & does nothing to the increase the popularity of the sport, financials of the sports, & the enjoyment of watching the sport.

- The point differential in NFL games is 3 points. My guess is that the CBS 2:30 game's average point differential is closer to double digits. That's a problem.

- Our recruiting budget is low, but I think that's mostly by choice. We likely believe that we can get the same caliber of player within 3 hours of Starkville than we can by going to California. My guess is that as our brand increases, so will our recruiting budget. Actually, I bet it's bigger this year since Leach allows us to recruit more nationally

MaroonFlounder
03-31-2020, 10:46 AM
- Yes I want that because I want a greater chance, at least a chance at winning a national title. Regardless of how it effects OM. It only makes the Egg Bowl & Mississippi CFB better.

- Yes, Southern Miss would also have a greater chance at beating us, but I'm fine with that because it brings with it a greater chance of MSU winning & other teams winning big. It's brings more drama to the sport.

- So many people in this discussion talk about their fears of lesser programs narrowing the gap, but I prefer to look at the upside of how it would overall help the sport.

- You love to see if my theory is proven or disproven? What theory do I have? I don't see a theory here. I see a fact. College football would undoubtedly become more competitive with reduced scholarships. Maybe not so much at first with who won the natty, but the games themselves would become much more competitive.

- There are few things college football wise that is worse than tuning into a the CBS 2:30 game & seeing blowouts most weekends. That sucks & does nothing to the increase the popularity of the sport, financials of the sports, & the enjoyment of watching the sport.

- The point differential in NFL games is 3 points. My guess is that the CBS 2:30 game's average point differential is closer to double digits. That's a problem.

- Our recruiting budget is low, but I think that's mostly by choice. We likely believe that we can get the same caliber of player within 3 hours of Starkville than we can by going to California. My guess is that as our brand increases, so will our recruiting budget. Actually, I bet it's bigger this year since Leach allows us to recruit more nationally

Well the expert has spoken. With over 30,000 comments, your credibility is solid****

Hope you felt a bit of gratification being snarky towards me in your replies to the other guy in this thread. Your yearning for validation comes thru loud and clear.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 11:24 AM
Well the expert has spoken. With over 30,000 comments, your credibility is solid****

Hope you felt a bit of gratitude being snarky towards me in your replies to the other guy in this thread. Your yearning for validation comes thru loud and clear.

Sheesh. Relax Judy

Homedawg
03-31-2020, 11:56 AM

You make some good points. However, It doesn't matter if you are right or not. They aren't about to take away 10 scholarships and give them to baseball Bc that's what's right or whether or not you want to. They powers that be voted down paying a volunteer coach for baseball which is WAY cheaper than adding scholarships. It's not going to happen. And it won't ever happen until the p5 break off and form their own gig. Whenever that might be. But it's not about to happen soon. But you can start 15 more threads about it if it makes you feel better. Either way beating you head against the wall or typing it on a message board isn't going to make it happen

Commercecomet24
03-31-2020, 12:08 PM
You make some good points. However, It doesn't matter if you are right or not. They aren't about to take away 10 scholarships and give them to baseball Bc that's what's right or whether or not you want to. They powers that be voted down paying a volunteer coach for baseball which is WAY cheaper than adding scholarships. It's not going to happen. And it won't ever happen until the p5 break off and form their own gig. Whenever that might be. But it's not about to happen soon. But you can start 15 more threads about it if it makes you feel better. Either way beating you head against the wall or typing it on a message board isn't going to make it happen

This! Ron Polk tilted at that windmill for years. Common sense and the ncaa don't belong in the same sentence. They could remedy a lot of this but they won't.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 12:12 PM

I didn't start this thread to debate this.

Secondly, you're right. Nothing will be done in the short term. However, if this idea is entered into the regular public conscious, then something may happen eventually

Homedawg
03-31-2020, 12:15 PM
I didn't start this thread to debate this.

Secondly, you're right. Nothing will be done in the short term. However, if this idea is entered into the regular public conscious, then something may happen eventually

I recognize you didn't start this particular thread. But you have started more than one on the same subject. Again, I agree w you. Baseball is getting screwed. Have been forever. Is what it is.

confucius say
03-31-2020, 12:53 PM
I'd be fine with cutting ten even if they don't go to baseball. Which is more likely than them getting cut and going to baseball, honestly.

maroonmania
03-31-2020, 05:15 PM

I think you are really reaching on this. If we get a rash of injuries at a position, whether you are playing one of your last 10 on scholarship or walkons, you are still in a world of hurt. Heck, in any sport, if you get a rash of injuries its a big problem. Basketball only gets 13 scholarships and you have to deal with starter injuries there too. Bottom line is we will likely never have the depth AL and LSU and some of the other power programs have no matter what the scholarship count is.

maroonmania
03-31-2020, 05:21 PM

Apples and Oranges. If you held the vote for the extra baseball coach with the same schools that play FBS football it would pass with no problem. Its the FCS schools that have D1 status in basketball and baseball that are the problem because baseball is a money loser for them. There needs to be an FBS/FCS type split of D1 for basketball and baseball just like there is for football.

MaroonFlounder
04-01-2020, 05:04 PM
Its the FCS schools that have D1 status in basketball and baseball that are the problem because baseball is a money loser for them. There needs to be an FBS/FCS type split of D1 for basketball and baseball just like there is for football.

Rosebowl talked about this on his podcast. I don't know about basketball, but it needs to happen in baseball. It's not our fault the smaller programs and the northern schools lose money on baseball. The NCAA needs to die a slow death and let the super conferences govern themselves.