PDA

View Full Version : let's talk about Football-best ever-list

tcdog70
03-30-2020, 09:36 AM
Name the best HighSchool Player that you Played with-against and saw
1. played With Carol Walker-Noxubee High-1st team all-state
2. played against-Doug Cunningham-Louisville--all the way to 49ers.
3. Marcus Dupree--nuff said.

FISHDAWG
03-30-2020, 11:22 AM
Played with Donald Ray King in High School .... Played against Ocean Springs QB Eddie Hornback (the best HS player I ever played against) - signed with Notre-Dame but ended up playing for the good guys
Marcus Dupree - no question

tcdog70
03-30-2020, 02:19 PM
Played with Donald Ray King in High School .... Played against Ocean Springs QB Eddie Hornback (the best HS player I ever played against) - signed with Notre-Dame but ended up playing for the good guys
Marcus Dupree - no question

i saw Y'all play Quitman on night. Also played softball against Hornback-- He didn't have a hair on his body.

FISHDAWG
03-30-2020, 02:40 PM
i saw Y'all play Quitman on night. Also played softball against Hornback-- He didn't have a hair on his body.

That would be the Hornback I'm talking about ... he broke three long touchdown runs on us one night and the next Monday while watching game film our coach played them all back several times in slo-mo and on the last run of about 75 yards he zigged and zagged back and forth from sideline to sideline to where every single defensive player had hands on him at one time or the other on that run and he still scored ..... he had a medical condition that prevented hair from growing anywhere on his body ... He told Notre-Dame no thanks to the red shirt and came to State ...... we played Quitman every year and I really got into it with a really big guy there and we fought all night long then he ended up playing at JCJC - we became friends, had several classes together and laughed about that night

Donald Ray King signed with the XFL and later on the Chargers ... He should need no introduction on this board

AROB44
03-30-2020, 03:44 PM
Loved Donald Ray.....was one of our best.

BulldogDX55
03-30-2020, 03:44 PM
Played with: None you've likely heard of - we were good at football, but the best of my teammates were a DE at Troy, FB at MTSU, two OLs at UCF, RB at FIU and a RB at ULL.
Played against: Either DJ Hall or Glen Coffee
Seen: A.J. Hawk I guess. My older bro played him in high school.

Edit: Never mind on played against. My team kept DJ Hall and Glen Coffee in check - I remember them because we were in the same division. I just remembered that in the 2002 state playoffs that Antonio Cromartie single handedly wrecked us.

Maroonthirteen
03-30-2020, 04:22 PM
David Fair. Russell Copeland.

Todd Jordan and Juan Long were good too.

Chris Washington and Fred Ward at West Point were really good.

Todd4State
03-30-2020, 04:45 PM
Saw when I was in high school- Brian Darden at Warren Central.

99jc
03-30-2020, 06:07 PM
Played against Buford McGhee....there was a kid a RB at I believe it was noxapater I played against late 70's was one of the greatest players ever no doubt would have made the pros...but was dumber than a box of rocks, couldn't get in college I know he rushed for an avg of 300 yards per game. Ran like Barry Sanders.

tcdog70
03-30-2020, 06:56 PM
Played against Buford McGhee....there was a kid a RB at I believe it was noxapater I played against late 70's was one of the greatest players ever no doubt would have made the pros...but was dumber than a box of rocks, couldn't get in college I know he rushed for an avg of 300 yards per game. Ran like Barry Sanders.

My crew reffed many game with Durant. They only had about 15 players but had Buford Mcgee , and both the Robinson Brothers.. 3 D1 Sec players. Buford's son played point guard at MSU can you name Him?

tcdog70
03-30-2020, 06:59 PM
Thought I would throw in Big Claude Herrod from Eupora, a bad boy who played for the dogassed Rebs.

Coach34
03-30-2020, 07:49 PM
Saw Marcus Dupree's film in HS while working for his coach- he is hands down Mississippi's best.
Jeffrey Simmons is top 5.
Dontae Walker was damn good
David Fair was bigtime
What alot of people dont know- Air McNair was one of Mississippi's best DB's- had over 30 picks in his HS career
And I can only imagine what Walter Payton looked like in HS back in the 1960's. He is still the NFL's most complete RB in history

99jc
03-30-2020, 07:58 PM
My crew reffed many game with Durant. They only had about 15 players but had Buford Mcgee , and both the Robinson Brothers.. 3 D1 Sec players. Buford's son played point guard at MSU can you name Him?

Bo Robinson was one of their names believe his dad was the coach called Bo also. Yeah I knoww Buford's son played at state but can't recall his name mabey White was his last name.

Natedogg33
03-30-2020, 08:01 PM
With- Doug buckles would be the biggest name, not necessarily best player I ever played with. Most of my class went Juco and didn’t do much. Cody Upton played at State. I graduated before all the NFL guys were out of 9th grade.
Against- Freddie Millons was quick as a rabbit. Eddie Strong damn near knocked me in the stands. Dontae was a ok, but easy to tackle. Josh Morgan was the hardest worker and toughest bastard I ever dealt with. (Told him that every time I saw him at state, we played against each other from the 7 th grade on). Played a spring game against Provine on MC’s brand new field. Jamal Dinkins played fullback for them. (Played at State) Never bled so much in a game in my life. Played a spring game against Amory and Bobby Hall when they were like #1. Chris Rainey and Rufus French were pretty good.
Saw- DD Cowan.

Mjoelner34
03-30-2020, 08:19 PM
What alot of people dont know- Air McNair was one of Mississippi's best DB's- had over 30 picks in his HS career

Actually, he was 1st team All-State at DB and not QB.

R2Dawg
03-30-2020, 09:01 PM
I was in a track meet that David Fair was at. He was one imposing dude. We played against Wesley Walls of Pontatoc. Walls was like 6'5" and 280lbs and played running back. It took like 3-4 guys to get him down every play.

Todd4State
03-30-2020, 09:20 PM
With- Doug buckles would be the biggest name, not necessarily best player I ever played with. Most of my class went Juco and didn’t do much. Cody Upton played at State. I graduated before all the NFL guys were out of 9th grade.
Against- Freddie Millons was quick as a rabbit. Eddie Strong damn near knocked me in the stands. Dontae was a ok, but easy to tackle. Josh Morgan was the hardest worker and toughest bastard I ever dealt with. (Told him that every time I saw him at state, we played against each other from the 7 th grade on). Played a spring game against Provine on MC’s brand new field. Jamal Dinkins played fullback for them. (Played at State) Never bled so much in a game in my life. Played a spring game against Amory and Bobby Hall when they were like #1. Chris Rainey and Rufus French were pretty good.
Saw- DD Cowan.

Man, I had a class in high school with DD. Super nice guy and super tragic life that ended way too soon.

Natedogg33
03-30-2020, 10:29 PM
I guess I was in the 8th grade DD’s senior year. Great running back, and his car wreck was a tragedy. It really bothered several teachers and as I got older, the seniors would make us watch old tape of him running the ball. They’d tell us, this is how you play the game. Apparently he was a great guy that I never got to meet.

The Federalist Engineer
03-30-2020, 11:23 PM
Name the best HighSchool Player that you Played with-against and saw
1. played With Carol Walker-Noxubee High-1st team all-state
2. played against-Doug Cunningham-Louisville--all the way to 49ers.
3. Marcus Dupree--nuff said.

(1) antwan Edwards - played together a few times as kids. AA at Clemson and NFL 1st around pick
(2) barin simpson - Mississippi State MLB and leading tackler.
(3) Tabari Rodgers and Early Smith - basketball guys both D1. I was not competitive at all as Middle Schoolers but I owned one of them in soccer
(4) played with against many Outlaws? and Williams? as a kid, they were all super nice kids and also really good at every sport

dawgoneyall
03-31-2020, 12:04 AM
Played against Billy Southward from Tishomingo (before consolidation). Played DE or such at MSU
I could run the 100 yard at 10.0...he was faster...he could kick 40 yard field goals easily...played QB at Tish. Had a very good arm...

Of course we move him somewhere else....MSU being MSU.

tcdog70
03-31-2020, 10:00 AM
Bo Robinson was one of their names believe his dad was the coach called Bo also. Yeah I knoww Buford's son played at state but can't recall his name mabey White was his last name.

Cotton Robinson--one of Mississippi's best Coaches.. I was lucky enough to present him the Game ball at mid-field the night they parachuted it down to him to honor Him.---Detrick White was the PG--also the QB on a Durant undefeated football team.

Pinto
03-31-2020, 10:00 AM
Played against Deuce in high school. Never thought he would turn out to be the player he was. We had three backs on our team that were better. Deuce was all set to go to MSU then got in legal trouble. Deuce, the judge, and lawyers went in the back room and met. Came back all charges were dropped. Few days later he was Ole Miss bound.

Got to call a game for Benardrick McKinney and Chris Jones. BMc was without a doubt the best player on the field. Ran a kickoff back and left everyone 20 yards back when he hit the gas.
Jones was in the 10th grade but had the frame already. You could see he was going to be a beast.

Wish I could remember this guys name but he was a linebacker for East or west Marion. We played them in south half. They ran a 7 diamond defense. He was the solo linebacker and ate our lunch all night.

Leroy Jenkins
03-31-2020, 05:09 PM
With: Jarious Jackson
Against: Edward Prather / Dicenzo Miller
I enjoyed watching Joe Gunn when he was at Amory