PDA

View Full Version : MLB Draft Rumors

Todd4State
03-28-2020, 11:35 PM
We're probably looking at a five round draft in July. For now.

That's big for us because it may mean a guy like Josh Hatcher may slip through and come back. May mean Tanner Allen comes back too. Pretty sure Rowdey will be back.

We should be one of the better teams in the country next year.

Ginn should be healthy and Cerentola will probably turn the corner by then and MacLeoud probably already has. Landon Sims and Will Bednar should be a little more mature too - and we've already seen their talent.

Logan Tanner and Luke Hancock will be a good combination at catcher.

Let's assume Foscue and Westburg go pro but we get Blaze Jordan just for conversation...

We can start Hatcher at first, Mason Land at second, slide Kamren James to SS and start Blaze Jordan at third.

I could see the OF being Allen, Rowdey, and then Pimentel and Cumbest in LF.

We'll also have Houston Harding back and he looked like a solid mid week relief option who is a veteran guy.

On paper it looks like a team that has a chance to go to Omaha again.

vv83
03-28-2020, 11:38 PM
Do we expect Ginn back?

Todd4State
03-28-2020, 11:44 PM
Yes. I expect Ginn to be back.

Dawgbite
03-29-2020, 08:35 AM
The thing is, every team is going to get back players that normally would go in the draft. Plus there will be high school kids on campus that usually go to the minors. Almost everybody will be better next year, not just us. There should be some quality baseball played next year because most teams are going to be experienced and deep.

basedog
03-29-2020, 08:45 AM
The thing is, every team is going to get back players that normally would go in the draft. Plus there will be high school kids on campus that usually go to the minors. Almost everybody will be better next year, not just us. There should be some quality baseball played next year because most teams are going to be experienced and deep.

I was about to post the same thing. Just about everyone has good talent in the Sec now days, luck plays a huge part of how teams advance, such as who gets hot, injuries, and where you play.

My question is how many will be on scholarship. how many allowed on the roster and will the Sec allow more players to dress out. I'm pretty sure or I should say guessing we will see many transferring out by a lot of teams.

Hambone
03-29-2020, 09:25 AM
I expect Blaze Jordan to go JUCO so he’ll be eligible for the draft next year

KOdawg1
03-29-2020, 09:29 AM
I expect Blaze Jordan to go JUCO so he’ll be eligible for the draft next year

I expect that with Austin Hendrick, but I think Blaze is kinda like a JT Ginn situation where he grew up rooting for State and would love to play here.

TheLostDawg
03-29-2020, 09:53 AM
If it is a shorter draft this year then next year will be a lot more competitive. That will stop some guys going the juco route considering it would be better to wait. Not all but some will think twice about going to juco over d1

ShotgunDawg
03-29-2020, 09:53 AM
I think the draft will be 10 rounds. 5 rounds creates too many problems with good players going to independent leagues and signing for big bonuses after a month.

Who we lose:

Hendricks
Foscue
Westburg

Who we get:

Blaze Jordan - ain't going JUCO. I'd be shocked.
Allen
Ginn
Hatcher.

KOdawg1
03-29-2020, 10:30 AM
I think the draft will be 10 rounds. 5 rounds creates too many problems with good players going to independent leagues and signing for big bonuses after a month.

Who we lose:

Hendricks
Foscue
Westburg

Who we get:

Blaze Jordan - ain't going JUCO. I'd be shocked.
Allen
Ginn
Hatcher.

Does a 10 round draft send a guy like Kellum Clark to school? I really want him

AlSwearengen
03-29-2020, 10:33 AM
I expect that with Austin Hendrick, but I think Blaze is kinda like a JT Ginn situation where he grew up rooting for State and would love to play here.

I think Hendrick is expected to be one of the first ten chosen so he won?t be affected in any way and will go pro.

Blaze Jordan seems to be the great unknown. I?ve seen him projected in the 1st round simply b/c of his raw power and I?ve seen them say he would benefit by going to college to improve his all around hitting skills.

I am curious to see what JT?s role is next year. Our pitching should be pretty stout. It would have been nice for Cerantola to get a whole season under his belt, he needs every inning he can log.

KOdawg1
03-29-2020, 10:39 AM
I think Hendrick is expected to be one of the first ten chosen so he won’t be affected in any way and will go pro.
Definitely, I should've said I expect that if he doesn't get drafted or doesn't get the money he wants like Carter Stewart. But like you said, Hendrick will go high

ShotgunDawg
03-29-2020, 11:38 AM
Does a 10 round draft send a guy like Kellum Clark to school? I really want him

I do. He gets to school.

Whether it's 5 or 10 rounds will only really effect Sat/Sun type starters and quality relievers.

All college guys.

ShotgunDawg
03-29-2020, 11:42 AM
I think Hendrick is expected to be one of the first ten chosen so he won?t be affected in any way and will go pro.

Blaze Jordan seems to be the great unknown. I?ve seen him projected in the 1st round simply b/c of his raw power and I?ve seen them say he would benefit by going to college to improve his all around hitting skills.

I am curious to see what JT?s role is next year. Our pitching should be pretty stout. It would have been nice for Cerantola to get a whole season under his belt, he needs every inning he can log.

Blaze is a really good hitting /power prospect but he has the type of profile MLB team don't like to spend money on out of HS.

He's similar to Mark Turnbo, but MLB likes HS 1B to go to college and prove they'll hit enough since their entire value is based on their bat, which is the hardest tool to evaluate.

To make matters tougher, Blaze didn't hit all that well at major events last Summer, which makes it even more difficult to give him 2 million dollars.

The Federalist Engineer
03-29-2020, 12:12 PM
We're probably looking at a five round draft in July. For now.

That's big for us because it may mean a guy like Josh Hatcher may slip through and come back. May mean Tanner Allen comes back too. Pretty sure Rowdey will be back.

We should be one of the better teams in the country next year.

Ginn should be healthy and Cerentola will probably turn the corner by then and MacLeoud probably already has. Landon Sims and Will Bednar should be a little more mature too - and we've already seen their talent.

Logan Tanner and Luke Hancock will be a good combination at catcher.

Let's assume Foscue and Westburg go pro but we get Blaze Jordan just for conversation...

We can start Hatcher at first, Mason Land at second, slide Kamren James to SS and start Blaze Jordan at third.

I could see the OF being Allen, Rowdey, and then Pimentel and Cumbest in LF.

We'll also have Houston Harding back and he looked like a solid mid week relief option who is a veteran guy.

On paper it looks like a team that has a chance to go to Omaha again.

This team is going to be a Fortress. Rock of Gibraltar.

I wish Kumar Rocker were draft eligible

Madisonmd
03-30-2020, 06:48 AM
I would not expect a lot from Ginn. It's going to take more than a year to recover from TJ surgery.

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2020, 07:19 AM
I would not expect a lot from Ginn. It's going to take more than a year to recover from TJ surgery.

1. He did not have TJ

2. If he did have TJ, 1 year has shown to be about the right amount of time to recover. Velocity and stuff are back at that point, feel and command varies from pitcher to pitcher

Madisonmd
03-30-2020, 10:39 AM
He had TJ and its been longer than a year to return

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2020, 10:55 AM
He had TJ and its been longer than a year to return

He had ulner nerve surgery; not TJ

He just had it a few weeks ago, so it hasn't been longer than a year

Madisonmd
03-30-2020, 12:56 PM
I typed incorrectly. Meant to say its taking more than a year to fully recover from TJ.

Madisonmd
03-30-2020, 01:03 PM
Spoke to a former major league pitcher who had Tj. He pitched in 11 months, but most are 12 - 18. He actually sustained an injury that derailed his career after surgery

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2020, 01:57 PM
Spoke to a former major league pitcher who had Tj. He pitched in 11 months, but most are 12 - 18. He actually sustained an injury that derailed his career after surgery

1. JT did not have TJ. He had surgery on his ulner nerve. That's at least to the best of my knowledge.

2. Correct: It takes 11-18 months to fully recover ( meaning get all your stuff back) from TJ. However, everyone is different. MOST people can throw fully at 11 months & their is no greater risk of injury than at 18 months. Additionally, most people get all all their velocity & breaking ball after 11 months but command & feel for their breaking ball & changeup can take a little longer.

What I would do with JT:

He'll should be physically close to 100% by the time the season starts next season. I would start him out in the bullpen & let him throw 1 inning a week out of the bullpen for the 1st month. After the 1st month, see where he is & slowly ramp him up. The next two weeks after the first month, let him either pitch 2-3 innings out of the bullpen or start him for 2-3 innings & check inventory.

We should have a ton of pitching next season, so the goal should be to make sure that JT is fully go by the time we get to the last month of the regular season.

Commercecomet24
03-30-2020, 02:09 PM
1. JT did not have TJ. He had surgery on his ulner nerve. That's at least to the best of my knowledge.

2. Correct: It takes 11-18 months to fully recover ( meaning get all your stuff back) from TJ. However, everyone is different. MOST people can throw fully at 11 months & their is no greater risk of injury than at 18 months. Additionally, most people get all all their velocity & breaking ball after 11 months but command & feel for their breaking ball & changeup can take a little longer.

What I would do with JT:

He'll should be physically close to 100% by the time the season starts next season. I would start him out in the bullpen & let him throw 1 inning a week out of the bullpen for the 1st month. After the 1st month, see where he is & slowly ramp him up. The next two weeks after the first month, let him either pitch 2-3 innings out of the bullpen or start him for 2-3 innings & check inventory.

We should have a ton of pitching next season, so the goal should be to make sure that JT is fully go by the time we get to the last month of the regular season.

Yes it was ulnar nerve surgery and they did clean up some stuff in the joint while they were in there. And you are correct, He did not have a tear of the ucl.

Ari Gold
03-31-2020, 04:07 PM
Cade Smith.. RHP was going to be a huge draft risk, prob comes here now.. Kid could be a Friday night guy sooner than later..

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 04:19 PM
Cade Smith.. RHP was going to be a huge draft risk, prob comes here now.. Kid could be a Friday night guy sooner than later..

He's really good but wasn't a real draft risk. Is a 4th-6th round type that was most likely going to school anyway.

Homedawg
03-31-2020, 04:55 PM
This draft is going to be very interesting. Less info for teams than ever before. And guys like westburg and fos have another year of leverage. This limited signing bonus is going to cause lots of guys to stay. I'm not saying either of those mentioned come back, but I wouldn't rule it out so her unless they just hate school.

basedog
03-31-2020, 05:14 PM
LOL........Let's put it this way, things were picking up and starting to get real interesting.

AlSwearengen
03-31-2020, 05:56 PM
LOL........Let's put it this way, things were picking up and starting to get real interesting.

We are about to have a pretty nasty group of freshmen and sophomore pitchers next year. I can?t help but feel like we are getting close.

And to Cade?s draft situation, I?m pretty sure shotgun is going to say the only thing holding him out of the first 2 or 3 rounds is his height and being a righty. I?m selfish and hope he comes to school and is drafted in the first round in three years which is very possible from what I?ve read. Would be a great story line if he starts the game that clinches our first World Series championship. Home grown life long Bulldog.

Ari Gold
03-31-2020, 05:57 PM
He's really good but wasn't a real draft risk. Is a 4th-6th round type that was most likely going to school anyway.

4th -6th round is a draft risk.. I know around what $ number they wanted and the right team may have hit that number...

Ari Gold
03-31-2020, 05:58 PM
This draft is going to be very interesting. Less info for teams than ever before. And guys like westburg and fos have another year of leverage. This limited signing bonus is going to cause lots of guys to stay. I'm not saying either of those mentioned come back, but I wouldn't rule it out so her unless they just hate school.

Agree, and the opposite end of that is I think some teams will offer more this draft in order to sign guys in those first 5 rounds..

basedog
03-31-2020, 06:25 PM
We are about to have a pretty nasty group of freshmen and sophomore pitchers next year. I can?t help but feel like we are getting close.

And to Cade?s draft situation, I?m pretty sure shotgun is going to say the only thing holding him out of the first 2 or 3 rounds is his height and being a righty. I?m selfish and hope he comes to school and is drafted in the first round in three years which is very possible from what I?ve read. Would be a great story line if he starts the game that clinches our first World Series championship. Home grown life long Bulldog.

He is still growing and getting stronger.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 06:32 PM
4th -6th round is a draft risk.. I know around what $ number they wanted and the right team may have hit that number...

Gotcha. For most HS kids committed to SEC schools, 4-6 round is not a draft risk. It's only a risk if he's asking for a low number.