PDA

View Full Version : 5 mens basketball players transferring

NCMSTFAN
03-23-2020, 06:02 PM
Butts, King, Odoru, Feazell and Datcher are all in the portal. This may end up hurting us if we dont pull in some grad transfers or possibly a JUCO kid or two. I know those guys arent the most talented but they gave us depth, especially Odoru and Feazell. We never got a chance to see how good Butts and King will be but losing 5 players to transfer in one season isnt good.

99jc
03-23-2020, 06:29 PM
These 5 can be replaced easily not much skill set except feazell.

NCMSTFAN
03-23-2020, 06:38 PM
While I get your point you cant really say that about Butts and King with the limited minutes they got we never got a chance to see how good they were. But I know where your coming from, these guys weren't great but from a depth standpoint, it could hurt.

Perry is more than likely going to the NBA too and Carter graduated so that's 7 guys gone. We bring in two Freshmen and get Tolu so that helps but we will still need to get a few more players. Quinton Post may see increased time next year too

ScottH
03-23-2020, 06:39 PM
Is this thinning of the herd or an underlying problem?

MaroonFlounder
03-23-2020, 07:07 PM
So, men's b-ball gonna suck next year....if there is a season.

NCMSTFAN
03-23-2020, 07:11 PM

Good question and I'm not sure, but losing 5 guys in one off season definitely doesn't look good

NCMSTFAN
03-23-2020, 07:13 PM
So, men's b-ball gonna suck next year....if there is a season.

Well we still have Nick, DJ, Iverson, Ado and Woodard so we wont suck, but we have no depth unless we bring some graduate transfers or JUCO guys.

Ari Gold
03-23-2020, 07:26 PM
Well we still have Nick, DJ, Iverson, Ado and Woodard so we wont suck, but we have no depth unless we bring some graduate transfers or JUCO guys.

We have those 5 plus Toul Smith who will prob start at the 4 and 2 signees Deivon Smith and Cameron Matthews and Quinton Post.. CBH will prob looking at 1 immediate transfer and maybe 1 or 2 transfers that will be available 2021..

Wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t pick up another late signee from the 2020 class..

Irondawg
03-23-2020, 08:40 PM
Just the way college basketball is now. Players aren’t going to wait 2 years for PT.

King I thought had talent - the others I don’t think are irreplaceable

smootness
03-23-2020, 09:18 PM

I doubt we were the ones who told most of these guys to go, but none were contributors, so to me it isn't a danger sign. Just shows that if someone doesn't get immediate playing time, they may leave.

KOdawg1
03-23-2020, 10:13 PM
The only one I kinda mind losing is King. He's a good player, but he didn't have a path to immediately play

JNC23
03-23-2020, 10:54 PM
We have those 5 plus Toul Smith who will prob start at the 4 and 2 signees Deivon Smith and Cameron Matthews and Quinton Post.. CBH will prob looking at 1 immediate transfer and maybe 1 or 2 transfers that will be available 2021..

Wouldn?t be surprised if we didn?t pick up another late signee from the 2020 class..

Gotta think Keondre Montgomery is the leader for that 2020 spot right? Or is there anyone else we're on that you know of?

Quaoarsking
03-24-2020, 07:20 AM
Is Quinten Post expected to be a contributor? He barely played this past year, but he's staying on the team apparently, and in one of our games, the SEC Network guys were talking about how he has lots of potential to be a starter down the road.

Jacksondevildog
03-24-2020, 07:51 AM
Feazell was the only unexpected one, but he averaged under 2 ppg this year. There's something close to 400 players in the transfer portal in college basketball right now. I'm sure we will find replacements. Most of those guys weren't going to play next season. Butts, Odoru, and King primarily.

R2Dawg
03-24-2020, 11:34 AM
Just the way college basketball is now. Players aren?t going to wait 2 years for PT.

King I thought had talent - the others I don?t think are irreplaceable

Agree. I think King has some potential to be good down the road. We can get players to replace the others and probably King as well. No issues, this is actually healthy to a degree. Means we got some talent ahead of these guys. If no one ever leaves, you don't have enough talent.

Okrastar1
03-24-2020, 11:58 AM
Gotta find a Shooter! Need to pair a shooter with DJ and utilize Nick best attribute as a slasher. would love to find a reliable 3pt guy and if some of the younger guys make a decent jump we could still be dangerous.

jdelta02
03-24-2020, 12:03 PM
The best to all of these players as they move forward.

Remember, Ben Hansbrough transferred, did really well at Notredame. Same for Romero Osby at Oklahoma. Phil Turner...Delta State

thf24
03-24-2020, 12:19 PM
Is Quinten Post expected to be a contributor? He barely played this past year, but he's staying on the team apparently, and in one of our games, the SEC Network guys were talking about how he has lots of potential to be a starter down the road.

Judging from photos prior to last season, as of that time he needed to put on about 40 pounds to have a chance at not getting broken in half by SEC posts. My guess would be that has a lot to do with it.

KentuckyDawg13
03-25-2020, 12:11 PM
Oduro was the only one not suggested to look elsewhere, the rest were given some influence. Datcher didn't use a scholly this past season, and he is now a grad transfer.
Butts and King were projects, guess they didn't pan out.
Feazell will be a solid SWAC player.

R2Dawg
03-25-2020, 12:28 PM
Oduro was the only one not suggested to look elsewhere, the rest were given some influence. Datcher didn't use a scholly this past season, and he is now a grad transfer.

Agree. I think Oduro can be a solid contributor. Good motor for his size. Feazell will excel at lower level.

NCMSTFAN
03-26-2020, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't call King a project he was a 4 star hit and had offers from Memphis, Xavier, Florida State, Georgia, Ga Tech and more, Butts was more of an unknown but again, we didnt see enough out of them to know much, and there were guys in front of them.

Feazell showed flashes at times, he was also stuck behind Ado, Holman, Perry and Woodard the past few years, he will be able to contribute somewhere. Doesn't necessarily have to be the SWAC.

MaroonFlounder
03-28-2020, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't call King a project he was a 4 star hit and had offers from Memphis, Xavier, Florida State, Georgia, Ga Tech and more, Butts was more of an unknown but again, we didnt see enough out of them to know much, and there were guys in front of them.

Feazell showed flashes at times, he was also stuck behind Ado, Holman, Perry and Woodard the past few years, he will be able to contribute somewhere. Doesn't necessarily have to be the SWAC.

USM is interested in Feazell.

jdelta02
03-28-2020, 06:53 PM
Possibly locate, and sign at least 1 knockdown shooter. Fill whatever other positions deemed necessary or....for whatever reason decided. Also, need at least 1 ready to play backup for Abdul Ado. Also, possibly a Wildcard transfer comes up? Move forward with what you come up with.

Also, coaching staff dealing with uncertainty around Robert Woodard's status for next season. Coach Howland appears to have already conceded Reggie Perry to the NBA.

Look to be in very good shape at point guard with Nick Spoon, Deivon Smith, and Iverson Molinar. Both, Spoon and Molinar are very capable (combo guards) at the 2 spot as well. Also, Molinar can help on the wing when need.

Keep an eye on DJ Stewart at both the 2 and 3 spots. Also, he's a very tough matchup defensively. Expect the team to look to DJ as one of the teams top options offensively as well. Big jump (freshman to sophomore) needed out of DJ.

Tolu Smith is much needed to help in the froncourt. Coaching staff will need to help get him on the fast track.

Additionally
The team could use some good minutes out of Quinten Post.

BigDawgB
03-28-2020, 10:18 PM

Paul?