PDA

View Full Version : Even if the virus peaks

Dawgology
03-16-2020, 08:50 PM
Do y'all think this will impact next football seasons attendance? I'm of the opinion that it really will.

Joebob
03-16-2020, 09:51 PM
Interesting question. I think it’ll probably depend on how prevalent it is at the time. It might be more of a factor later in the season when the weather cools down. The students won’t care about it one way or the other.

Todd4State
03-16-2020, 09:58 PM
I think if it peaks/passes by football season I think attendance will be better because we've lost so much sports. And in theory our fans that would have spent money on baseball/maybe Omaha/the women's NCAA Tournament/Men's NIT (Yes, let's all be honest here they were going to screw it up the SEC Tournament and we all knew that was going to happen deep down inside) will have the money to spend on football.

There are always other factors too such as how the team is doing, confidence in the program, how good the product is on and off the field in the stands with concessions and things like that which I fully expect to improve over last year. We also have a new coach that everyone is excited about and so I think people were going to come and attendance was going to increase initially regardless.

If we have a really good season we could set whatever bowl attendance records this year.

ShotgunDawg
03-16-2020, 10:11 PM
All depends on the timing & what the current outlook is at that time.

I think at some point everyone will become fatigued by this unless deaths start to hit close to home

DownwardDawg
03-16-2020, 11:06 PM
It’ll be almost forgotten by then.

People will be excited to get out to see sports again.

deadheaddawg
03-16-2020, 11:18 PM
Trump said today we may be dealing with these issues till possibly August.....

.....when asked how long the new normal will be in place. Trump stated
"We'll see what happens but they think August, could be July." Trump told reporters at the White House, "Could be longer than that."

Todd4State
03-16-2020, 11:21 PM
Trump said today we may be dealing with these issues till possibly August.....

.....when asked how long the new normal will be in place. Trump stated
"We'll see what happens but they think August, could be July." Trump told reporters at the White House, "Could be longer than that."

Yeah. No one really knows. He's going to make a conservative estimate because if he's wrong and it's sooner than expected he looks even better. If I had to make an educated guess I'd say June.

Dawgology
03-17-2020, 08:18 AM
Much like in China, I will be very interested to see what happen with the "suggested quarantine" is lifted here. With how contagious this virus it wouldn't suprise me if this blew up again for a Round 2 when everyone gets back out into the public. Of course, at least a portion of the population would have some kind of immunity at that point.

Jack Lambert
03-17-2020, 08:20 AM
All depends on the timing & what the current outlook is at that time.

I think at some point everyone will become fatigued by this unless deaths start to hit close to home

Hell fatigued has already set in.

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Hell fatigued has already set in.

The main issue is that here is that this is an untenable situation for the economy.

Sure, we can shut things down for a week or two, but after that, when nobody is getting paid, people will have to choose the risk of getting the virus over losing their business or not being able to pay their rent or mortgage.

With all these bars, restaurants, etc closing down right now, who is going to pay the rent or mortgage for those properties? If the land lord offers a grace period, then who is going to pay the bank? etc, etc, etc.

Point being, you can't just stop the world for too long. We are all too interconnected for things to just completely shut down for an extended period of time.

This shut down has much less to do with flattening the curve as it does buying the medical field time to prepare and/or find a solution

We'll be playing football by the Fall because they world will have moved on by then whether the virus is still a threat or not. It has too

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-17-2020, 08:33 AM
I am going to say no. By June 1st it will have subsided and will be an afterthought.

Dawgology
03-17-2020, 09:37 AM
The main issue is that here is that this is an untenable situation for the economy.

Sure, we can shut things down for a week or two, but after that, when nobody is getting paid, people will have to choose the risk of getting the virus over losing their business or not being able to pay their rent or mortgage.

With all these bars, restaurants, etc closing down right now, who is going to pay the rent or mortgage for those properties? If the land lord offers a grace period, then who is going to pay the bank? etc, etc, etc.

Point being, you can't just stop the world for too long. We are all too interconnected for things to just completely shut down for an extended period of time.

This shut down has much less to do with flattening the curve as it does buying the medical field time to prepare and/or find a solution

We'll be playing football by the Fall because they world will have moved on by then whether the virus is still a threat or not. It has too

This is valid. As I have stated before, I don't think there is any real way to completely erradicate this virus so it will become endemic to the world population. The thing here is that if a vaccine is created or herd immunity is accomplished then how does it mutate to survive? Evolution says it will get MORE contagious but less severe. Dangerous viruses usually have relatively short lifespans on the world stage because they burn their hosts out and then have nowhere to go.

Joebob
03-17-2020, 10:05 AM
It’ll be almost forgotten by then.

People will be excited to get out to see sports again.

Problem is, it may very well come back next fall when the weather cools down.

BeastMan
03-17-2020, 11:05 AM
CFB attendance is already trending down and I think this will hurt it further. The virus will likely not be gone by opening weekend and elderly/immuno compromised folks will stay home more.

FISHDAWG
03-17-2020, 11:19 AM
to much money will have been lost by then if this trend keeps up ...... they will play

Leroy Jenkins
03-17-2020, 11:24 AM
I'm guessing it's seasonal like most respiratory illnesses. Hopefully gone by summer. Maybe that's why Africa has almost no COVID.

Leroy Jenkins
03-17-2020, 11:25 AM
Problem is, it may very well come back next fall when the weather cools down.

Immunity and vaccine by then.

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2020, 12:04 PM
I'm guessing it's seasonal like most respiratory illnesses. Hopefully gone by summer. Maybe that's why Africa has almost no COVID.

Good point

BeastMan
03-17-2020, 12:30 PM

Well your guessing is incorrect. It’s confirmed in 24 African countries and actively spreading. And if you don’t think we’re testing enough folks, and I don’t, Africa doesn’t have the means to test anywhere near our capability. This is a worldwide virus that is not seasonal. This is not a flu virus. I can’t say that loud enough. The Dr on Rogan and numerous other Drs have said it’s not seasonal.

Leroy Jenkins
03-17-2020, 12:47 PM
Well your guessing is incorrect. It?s confirmed in 24 African countries and actively spreading. And if you don?t think we?re testing enough folks, and I don?t, Africa doesn?t have the means to test anywhere near our capability. This is a worldwide virus that is not seasonal. This is not a flu virus. I can?t say that loud enough. The Dr on Rogan and numerous other Drs have said it?s not seasonal.

Guess we'll see. Right now this is what we know.... Africa, tiny circles.

https://i-insider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/i.insider.com/5e6f8ee1c48540116e247a42?width=1260&format=jpeg&auto=webp

BeastMan
03-17-2020, 12:52 PM
Again, how many test you think Africa is conducting? But that’s an aside. It’s spread to 24 Africa an countries so it’s spreading despite temperature. It’s not seasonal.

BrunswickDawg
03-17-2020, 01:14 PM

https://i-insider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/i.insider.com/5e6f8ee1c48540116e247a42?width=1260&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Guess all the rest of those southern hemisphere and equatorial countries on that map aren't warm?

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2020, 01:16 PM
Again, how many test you think Africa is conducting? But that’s an aside. It’s spread to 24 Africa an countries so it’s spreading despite temperature. It’s not seasonal.

FWIW, it's only 77 degrees today in Tamanghasset, Algeria, which is right in the middle of the Sahara desert & only 87 degrees in the Congo today.

Just saying. Maybe 100 in the Summer will knock it out

BeastMan
03-17-2020, 01:23 PM
FWIW, it's only 77 degrees today in Tamanghasset, Algeria, which is right in the middle of the Sahara desert & only 87 degrees in the Congo today.

Just saying. Maybe 100 in the Summer will knock it out

I hope your right but that’s something you a me and hoping for and not what infectious disease doctors are saying. Me and you hoping don’t mean jack shit.

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2020, 01:28 PM
I hope your right but that’s something you a me and hoping for and not what infectious disease doctors are saying. Me and you hoping don’t mean jack shit.

haha. I know. I was just egging it on.

Leroy Jenkins
03-17-2020, 01:48 PM
I hope your right but that?s something you a me and hoping for and not what infectious disease doctors are saying. Me and you hoping don?t mean jack shit.

Then why are you so triggered? Im headed out to get a milkshake.

See ya in the funny papers.

https://y.yarn.co/c8d57d39-a63f-49ec-9f0c-ac8f829400a4_screenshot.jpg

Leeshouldveflanked
03-17-2020, 02:56 PM
The US can only Hunker Down so long....

RocketDawg
03-17-2020, 03:27 PM
Well your guessing is incorrect. It?s confirmed in 24 African countries and actively spreading. And if you don?t think we?re testing enough folks, and I don?t, Africa doesn?t have the means to test anywhere near our capability. This is a worldwide virus that is not seasonal. This is not a flu virus. I can?t say that loud enough. The Dr on Rogan and numerous other Drs have said it?s not seasonal.

That seems to be the case. The northern hemisphere is in the spring season, the southern in the fall season, and the tropics are always in summer. The virus is affecting people everywhere, and it's concentrated where people are concentrated.

BeastMan
03-17-2020, 03:41 PM
Then why are you so triggered? Im headed out to get a milkshake.

See ya in the funny papers.

https://y.yarn.co/c8d57d39-a63f-49ec-9f0c-ac8f829400a4_screenshot.jpg

Ok boomer

Lord McBuckethead
03-17-2020, 03:59 PM
Flattening yhe curve and the hospital situation are the exact same thing. The curve cannot surpass our medical capabilities. Hell if no one was dying, it would be business as always. Snotty nose doesn't care if its allergies or some other non-life threatening thing.

SheltonChoked
03-17-2020, 06:04 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/17/upshot/hospital-bed-shortages-coronavirus.html

Per Harvard, We better hope it is not "over" by the fall.

Or we will have 100,000's of thousands dead. We don't have the Hospital or ICU beds for 6 month peak if only 20% of the US population gets it. Which experts think is low.

https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/covid-hospitals

I don't know how our economy is going to handle it. But something has to give.

Also, a vaccine is a year to 18 months away....
https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/covid-19-vaccine-development/

It will likely take at least a year for a Covid-19 vaccine to be approved and made available to patients;

StateDawg44
03-18-2020, 09:42 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/17/upshot/hospital-bed-shortages-coronavirus.html

Per Harvard, We better hope it is not "over" by the fall.

Or we will have 100,000's of thousands dead. We don't have the Hospital or ICU beds for 6 month peak if only 20% of the US population gets it. Which experts think is low.

https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/covid-hospitals

I don't know how our economy is going to handle it. But something has to give.

Also, a vaccine is a year to 18 months away....
https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/covid-19-vaccine-development/

So are you implying that at a given time 20% of the population will have it all at the same time OR over the course of 6 months 20% of people may contract it and truthfully, the majority won't require hospitalization but will have contracted the virus?

That's a very vague number and hypothetical stat. See below.

"Even in a best-case scenario, with cases of coronavirus spread out over 18 months, American hospital beds would be about 95% full. (This assumes that hospitals don?t free up already occupied beds or add more beds, as some elected officials have called for.) Some regions would have the capacity to handle the surge in hospitalizations without adding new beds or displacing other patients."

https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/covid-hospitals/

So the stats are based off no one recovering and opening a bed for a new patient to move in and also NO new beds being added to what we have currently.

Lord McBuckethead
03-19-2020, 10:52 AM
Yeah. No one really knows. He's going to make a conservative estimate because if he's wrong and it's sooner than expected he looks even better. If I had to make an educated guess I'd say June.

Given his unique track record, he just made all that up. His guess is slightly less based on facts than many here. At least we read and can understand what we have just read.

TUSK
03-20-2020, 07:20 PM

I don't trust any map that has 2 Africas on it*

Dawg2003
03-21-2020, 05:06 AM
Here's something scary. I watched something on the flu pandemic of 1918 that talked about how that flu strain mutated in the summer and came back worse in the fall.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2020, 08:12 AM
The US can only Hunker Down so long....

If hunkered down means working from home and all my kids there, I think I'll survive. Damn sure beats traveling all over all the time and that two hours of driving to the office. How about people use the time to do things at home with family and enjoy it? Life doesn't slow down. You better take advantage when it does.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2020, 08:13 AM
Here's something scary. I watched something on the flu pandemic of 1918 that talked about how that flu strain mutated in the summer and came back worse in the fall.

Drs have said the flu is somewhat unique in its ability to mutate. This isn't the flu.

Offshore Dawg
03-21-2020, 11:27 AM
Do y'all think this will impact next football seasons attendance? I'm of the opinion that it really will.

As things are going so far looks like no football so no attendance.

ScottH
03-21-2020, 03:52 PM
Deleted

Dawgology
03-22-2020, 08:57 AM
As things are going so far looks like no football so no attendance.

I wonder if it's safe enough for teams to play at that point but not crowds if they just play to empty or limited stadiums?

Cooterpoot
03-22-2020, 09:41 AM
There's going to be no school or practice all summer in all likelihood. And that means no football. This stuff should peak in a couple months, but it's not going to just go away.

Jarius
03-22-2020, 10:43 AM
If hunkered down means working from home and all my kids there, I think I'll survive. Damn sure beats traveling all over all the time and that two hours of driving to the office. How about people use the time to do things at home with family and enjoy it? Life doesn't slow down. You better take advantage when it does.

Well if we have to hunker down for too long there won't be an office for people to drive to when it's over and we will have a major economic collapse that will kill way more people than this virus.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-23-2020, 11:04 AM
Interesting question. I think it?ll probably depend on how prevalent it is at the time. It might be more of a factor later in the season when the weather cools down. The students won?t care about it one way or the other.

I think it dwindles away and will be completely gone by November 3, 2020 and we won't hear anything else about it again. Until maybe February 2024.

HancockCountyDog
03-23-2020, 04:07 PM
I am going to say no. By June 1st it will have subsided and will be an afterthought.

I hope you are right and every other medical professional I have been talking to is wrong.

Leroy Jenkins
03-28-2020, 10:32 AM

Look at that map of where the 'rona ain't....

And look at this map of where malaria is.... it's a promising coincidence, or malaria drugs work well against the virus.

https://brucewatsonsafaris.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Malaria-Maps-Of-Africa.jpg

hacker
03-28-2020, 11:49 AM
Look at that map of where the 'rona ain't....

And look at this map of where malaria is.... it's a promising coincidence, or malaria drugs work well against the virus.

https://brucewatsonsafaris.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Malaria-Maps-Of-Africa.jpg

They don't have many tests in Africa. Also, they're mostly poor -- very little travel between countries.

Look at the Asian countries on the tropics. Look at South American countries.

defiantdog
03-28-2020, 12:12 PM
They don't have many tests in Africa. Also, they're mostly poor -- very little travel between countries.

Look at the Asian countries on the tropics. Look at South American countries.
Its hotter in MS than it is in Ecuador right now. Same with Australia

Lord McBuckethead
03-29-2020, 01:49 AM
I wonder if it's safe enough for teams to play at that point but not crowds if they just play to empty or limited stadiums?

No it would not be safe for teams to play without crowds. Not football anyway. Golf probably. Basketball is a no. Baseball would probably be alright.

SheltonChoked
03-29-2020, 11:00 AM
So are you implying that at a given time 20% of the population will have it all at the same time OR over the course of 6 months 20% of people may contract it and truthfully, the majority won't require hospitalization but will have contracted the virus?

That's a very vague number and hypothetical stat. See below.

"Even in a best-case scenario, with cases of coronavirus spread out over 18 months, American hospital beds would be about 95% full. (This assumes that hospitals don?t free up already occupied beds or add more beds, as some elected officials have called for.) Some regions would have the capacity to handle the surge in hospitalizations without adding new beds or displacing other patients."

https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/covid-hospitals/

So the stats are based off no one recovering and opening a bed for a new patient to move in and also NO new beds being added to what we have currently.

I'm not implying shit.

I'm citing research on how many beds there were when this started and how many WILL be needed if 20% of the population gets it. Currently much less than 20% has it and New York, Atlanta, and New Orleans are out of beds. Just like I ****ing Cited....

Todd4State
03-29-2020, 04:12 PM
I'm not implying shit.

I'm citing research on how many beds there were when this started and how many WILL be needed if 20% of the population gets it. Currently much less than 20% has it and New York, Atlanta, and New Orleans are out of beds. Just like I ****ing Cited....

I assure you NOLA is not out of beds. Just trust me on this. I have REALLY good sources.

Commercecomet24
03-29-2020, 04:22 PM
I assure you NOLA is not out of beds. Just trust me on this. I have REALLY good sources.

I can second this. They ARE not out of beds.

StateDawg44
03-30-2020, 12:40 PM
I'm not implying shit.

Another quote from way back that is out of context at this point.

I guess my reason for asking was that at that time over a week ago it was safe to assume more hospital beds would become available. That is the reason I quoted that from the article you cited) Your original post was unclear in what you posted that I was responding to. Sorry for asking, good Lord.

I guess no one should ask for clarification on anything that is posted.