PDA

View Full Version : IF the baseball season is cancelled

West Houston Dog
03-13-2020, 01:14 PM
NCAA should allow the baseball players another year of eligibility.

Also allow the football players to hold spring practice early in the summer

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 01:17 PM
NCAA issued a statement saying all seniors in winter/spring sport will be granted an extra year of eligibility if they so desire

Homedawg
03-13-2020, 01:43 PM
NCAA issued a statement saying all seniors in winter/spring sport will be granted an extra year of eligibility if they so desire

This. They still haven't determined all the moving pieces and parts but the extra year has been granted.

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 01:49 PM
This. They still haven't determined all the moving pieces and parts but the extra year has been granted.

They finally did something right and common sense prevailed, thankfully.

Todd4State
03-13-2020, 01:50 PM

Good!

msugolf
03-13-2020, 02:30 PM
So we'll possibly get Tyson Carter back for another year, if he wants it that is.

Homedawg
03-13-2020, 02:42 PM
So we'll possibly get Tyson Carter back for another year, if he wants it that is.

No, the extra year is for spring sports. No mention of winter sports, which covers basketball

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2020, 03:28 PM
The only thing I worry about is potentially having upwards of 60 guys out there for baseball. That's a lot for the coaches to handle and to be able to evaluate who needs to play and who needs to RS/be cut. It's not just as simple as let seniors have an extra year. There's a lot of moving parts to this. Add all this to the fact that the MLB draft might not be til August. You could possibly have kids negotiating with pro teams while being on campus practicing. There's a lot of decisions that have to be made in regards to all of this.

HoopsDawg
03-13-2020, 03:42 PM
The only thing I worry about is potentially having upwards of 60 guys out there for baseball. That's a lot for the coaches to handle and to be able to evaluate who needs to play and who needs to RS/be cut. It's not just as simple as let seniors have an extra year. There's a lot of moving parts to this. Add all this to the fact that the MLB draft might not be til August. You could possibly have kids negotiating with pro teams while being on campus practicing. There's a lot of decisions that have to be made in regards to all of this.

Who does this effect? Koestler, Dunlavey, Price, and Self? Price may want to go pro. In reality, is that it? I guess everyone else gets a year back too so with the incoming class it's going to cause a lot of people either getting cut or not getting playing time.

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 03:59 PM

And here's another concern. My son is a senior in hs and is considering several offers. How will these seniors staying affect incoming freshman and there scholarship/playing time? Lots of things for NCAA to work on.

ShotgunDawg
03-13-2020, 05:05 PM
And here's another concern. My son is a senior in hs and is considering several offers. How will these seniors staying affect incoming freshman and there scholarship/playing time? Lots of things for NCAA to work on.

Lots of questions & very few answers right now.

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 05:19 PM
Lots of questions & very few answers right now.

Yep, exactly and i'm sure it's gonna be awhile before it's all sorted. He had visits scheduled next week during spring break but those have been put off now with campuses being closed down. Lot of folks in limbo right now.

ETA Let me add this is a very minor inconvience compared to other things that are happening. I was just commenting on some of the other issues that might arise from this. As much as I love baseball in the grand scheme of things it's very minor.

dawgman
03-13-2020, 05:20 PM

draft eligible junior baseball players? do they also get another year as this year there is not a full year to base their draft on? their leverage for next year, if they stay to play next year, to return to school is gone

they could end up like Mangum with a $30,000 signing bonus

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 05:23 PM
draft eligible junior baseball players? do they also get another year as this year there is not a full year to base their draft on? their leverage for next year, if they stay to play next year, to return to school is gone

Yep so many issues that have yet to be sorted out for so many.

Homedawg
03-13-2020, 06:27 PM

Again, they stated they would give them another year of eligibility. All the logistics haven't been worked out. It's complicated. They still can screw it up.

Todd4State
03-13-2020, 06:38 PM
Again, they stated they would give them another year of eligibility. All the logistics haven't been worked out. It's complicated. They still can screw it up.

I can't see them being strict about scholarship limits and roster limits for at least a year though. Too much potential for lawsuits directed at the NCAA if they did.

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 06:56 PM

Oh yeah if it can be screwed up then ncaa can do it!

dawgs
03-13-2020, 07:05 PM
Surely there will be some kinda scholarship exemption for 2020 seniors. I know that creates a little bit of an imbalance if some team has 5 seniors that are taking advantage and some have none, but I'm fine living with that inequality for a season instead of telling guys to kick rocks without a final season.

Homedawg
03-13-2020, 07:41 PM
I can't see them being strict about scholarship limits and roster limits for at least a year though. Too much potential for lawsuits directed at the NCAA if they did.

I didn't say they would be strict. But considering you and I both know the ncaa is stupid, don't be shocked by a ruling you don't think is proper. It is super complicated because it could last for 4 years.