PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts On College Baseball

ShotgunDawg
03-13-2020, 09:14 AM
What a crazy time to be alive.

1. I understand the CWS being cancelled, mostly because it takes the pressure off schools & coaches to try & come back quickly. While it seems ridiculous to cancel something that far out, by cancelling, the NCAA removed the incentive for schools to try to practice, stay in shape, & get back to playing ASAP. It creates a situation where everyone just focuses on their family & staying healthy. Can things be re-evaluated if this things ends quickly? sure, but it isn't ending quickly. Doesn't work that way

2. The right thing for the NCAA to do in 2021 is:
A. Allow all SRs to be on full scholarship for 1 season & an extra year
B. Allow for unlimited roster sizes in 2021
C. Everything goes back to normal in 2022
D. Create an SEC freshman league in 2021 so that kids that signed with a school due to being told the 3B was leaving, get to play in 2021 when that 3B returns because he has an extra year eligibility.

3. We could be looking at an August MLB draft, which puts coaches at another conudrum of having to figure out how to handle scholarship money due to not knowing who will be returning. Thus an unlimited roster with SRs on full schollies is a must for 2021

4. If the NCAA offers all current SRs an extra year, there will technically be no SRs without leverage in the MLB draft, which will be nuts.

Are these ideas perfect? no, but IMO they give the sport the best chance of 1) doing right by the players & 2) getting back to business as usual as quickly as possible.

AlSwearengen
03-13-2020, 10:16 AM
It’s the ncaa so whatever they do, it will be wrong.

AlSwearengen
03-13-2020, 10:17 AM
It?s the ncaa so whatever they do, it will be wrong.

Todd4State
03-13-2020, 10:37 AM
I agree with everything Shotgun. And I agree with Al that the NCAA will give baseball the middle finger.

The Federalist Engineer
03-13-2020, 10:46 AM
Totally agree- it makes it impossible to plan and coordinate without a time table.

The English Premier League suspended for a Month, will make new decisions as information develops

The NCAA are either bad poker players, bad chess players, or care so little about baseball that they did not think about it all

The Federalist Engineer
03-13-2020, 10:54 AM
I agree with everything Shotgun. And I agree with Al that the NCAA will give baseball the middle finger.

Baseball should give them the middle finger right back. Baseball should Brexit from NCAA and just self organize.

What does the NCAA give the baseball schools that they cannot do it themselves? Just call it (Elite Club) sports.

Electrically- elite club college baseball should affiliate with MLB instead of bureaucrats in Indiana

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 11:06 AM
Thankfully the MISSHSAA hasn't lost their minds...YET. High School baseball season will continue for now with district games only and will re-evaluate end of next week.

sack07
03-13-2020, 11:11 AM
What a crazy time to be alive.

1. I understand the CWS being cancelled, mostly because it takes the pressure off schools & coaches to try & come back quickly. While it seems ridiculous to cancel something that far out, by cancelling, the NCAA removed the incentive for schools to try to practice, stay in shape, & get back to playing ASAP. It creates a situation where everyone just focuses on their family & staying healthy. Can things be re-evaluated if this things ends quickly? sure, but it isn't ending quickly. Doesn't work that way

2. The right thing for the NCAA to do in 2021 is:
A. Allow all SRs to be on full scholarship for 1 season & an extra year
B. Allow for unlimited roster sizes in 2021
C. Everything goes back to normal in 2022
D. Create an SEC freshman league in 2021 so that kids that signed with a school due to being told the 3B was leaving, get to play in 2021 when that 3B returns because he has an extra year eligibility.

3. We could be looking at an August MLB draft, which puts coaches at another conudrum of having to figure out how to handle scholarship money due to not knowing who will be returning. Thus an unlimited roster with SRs on full schollies is a must for 2021

4. If the NCAA offers all current SRs an extra year, there will technically be no SRs without leverage in the MLB, which will nuts.

Are these ideas perfect? no, but IMO they give the sport the best chance of 1) doing right by the players & 2) getting back to business as usual as quickly as possible.

I don’t disagree, but how do you fund the scholarships for all spring sports for every senior that is given an extra year of eligibility?

Todd4State
03-13-2020, 11:25 AM
I don’t disagree, but how do you fund the scholarships for all spring sports for every senior that is given an extra year of eligibility?

Short term loss for schools in an exceptional situation.

ShotgunDawg
03-13-2020, 11:36 AM

Most of these schools have pretty deep endowments. Unprecedented times are typically when it's right to use it.

shoeless joe
03-13-2020, 12:08 PM
Thankfully the MISSHSAA hasn't lost their minds...YET. High School baseball season will continue for now with district games only and will re-evaluate end of next week.

It’s coming tho. Certain districts up here have already canceled athletics as of now. And since they’re in our district we don’t play. The districts are putting pressure on MHSAA just like duke and Kansas did to the ncaa.

It sucks and is awful for seniors BUT as it stands rite now I’m expecting spring seasons to be done.

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 12:19 PM
It’s coming tho. Certain districts up here have already canceled athletics as of now. And since they’re in our district we don’t play. The districts are putting pressure on MHSAA just like duke and Kansas did to the ncaa.

It sucks and is awful for seniors BUT as it stands rite now I’m expecting spring seasons to be done.

Yeah I'm not holding out a whole lot of hope either. My sons a senior, they're defending state champs and off to a good start again this year and like you said it sucks.

ShotgunDawg
03-13-2020, 01:53 PM
Wow. Looks like the NCAA read my post this morning before taking action*