PDA

View Full Version : Economy

Cowbell
03-13-2020, 02:00 AM
Guys, it seems like most people without business and market type jobs are not paying full attention to what is happening with our economy. Of course our 401ks have been trashed for the short-term. But this is about to get really ugly. I have heard rumors of local banks already halting farm and business loan applications. Oil and protein commodities have plummeted to where soon leveraged amounts will be higher than asset values. Let that soak in for a minute (anybody remember the 80s and land notes getting called).
Additionally, we live in a weak society that can not handle this adversity. People will continue to freak out about this and businesses will begin shutting down as employees even dare show symptoms. Imagine going to Walmart and it's closed because no employees to work or no supplies because manufacturer shut down.

Things are about to get real. If you do not have a month worth's of food/supplies on hand you are being nieve. Even with grocery stores and shopping centers open, they are the largest local cess pool of germs and will be the easiest place to come in contact with the disease going forward. I have a pregnant wife and I went and did all her grocery shopping for the next month tonight while hardly anyone was out. Call me crazy but the writing is on the wall.

starkvegasdawg
03-13-2020, 05:17 AM
Kroger clicklist. $4.96 and they do my shopping for me and bring it to my car.

99jc
03-13-2020, 05:25 AM
Guys, it seems like most people without business and market type jobs are not paying full attention to what is happening with our economy. Of course our 401ks have been trashed for the short-term. But this is about to get really ugly. I have heard rumors of local banks already halting farm and business loan applications. Oil and protein commodities have plummeted to where soon leveraged amounts will be higher than asset values. Let that soak in for a minute (anybody remember the 80s and land notes getting called).
Additionally, we live in a weak society that can not handle this adversity. People will continue to freak out about this and businesses will begin shutting down as employees even dare show symptoms. Imagine going to Walmart and it's closed because no employees to work or no supplies because manufacturer shut down.

Things are about to get real. If you do not have a month worth's of food/supplies on hand you are being nieve. Even with grocery stores and shopping centers open, they are the largest local cess pool of germs and will be the easiest place to come in contact with the disease going forward. I have a pregnant wife and I went and did all her grocery shopping for the next month tonight while hardly anyone was out. Call me crazy but the writing is on the wall.

I work for the DOD and we were told to get at least 2 week minimum of supplies. I bought 1 month yesterday. And could go 2-3 with what I have now in non-perishables.

MrKotter
03-13-2020, 06:23 AM
Oh good, another panic thread

Maroonthirteen
03-13-2020, 06:45 AM

...and they are late to the car or forget your order all together. Which is compromised of many "substitute" items.

BrunswickDawg
03-13-2020, 07:13 AM
I work for the DOD and we were told to get at least 2 week minimum of supplies. I bought 1 month yesterday. And could go 2-3 with what I have now in non-perishables.

If you live on the coast like I do, that's called your hurricane kit.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-13-2020, 07:26 AM
Oh good, another panic thread

It's not panic if it's rational

Duckdog
03-13-2020, 07:57 AM
Im buying bullets

MaroonFlounder
03-13-2020, 07:59 AM
Put on your tinfoil hat for this.

China manufactured this thing. There is a huge BioLab in Wuhan. It's political.

Why did Dean Koontz write a book in 1981 that eerily describes almost to a T what has transpired up until now? Psychic Sylvia Brown as well. And the Simpson's episode.....

It feels like end times are upon us. I am not freaking out, though. The Man upstairs is in control. My association with Him feels strong.

defiantdog
03-13-2020, 08:02 AM
1 month supplies? Should I go crawl in my bunker as well? Look, this is bad. But so was H1N1. But some of y'all are acting like it's the end of the world. I have plenty of OTC meds, toilet paper, and a normal amount of food. But this preemptive hoarding people are doing is not helping. Take your vitamins, wash your hands, and try to keep a decent distance from people in public.

Cowbell
03-13-2020, 08:05 AM

Yeah we all have this luxury right now. But what if your local Kroger doesn't have enough people show up to work to get this done. And every simple mind around you is thinking this same thing. Or supplies run out like right now where you can't get toilet paper.

MaroonFlounder
03-13-2020, 08:07 AM
...and they are late to the car or forget your order all together. Which is compromised of many "substitute" items.

Check the box that say's "No Substitutes" on the online form. Then you won't get a brand/item you don't want.

Cowbell
03-13-2020, 08:09 AM
1 month supplies? Should I go crawl in my bunker as well? Look, this is bad. But so was H1N1. But some of y'all are acting like it's the end of the world. I have plenty of OTC meds, toilet paper, and a normal amount of food. But this preemptive hoarding people are doing is not helping. Take your vitamins, wash your hands, and try to keep a decent distance from people in public.

Dude I'm talking about the markets, not just this disease.. We are on the verge of an economic shutdown like we have never seen in our lifetime. If commodity markets don't stabilize next week (not the stock market), things may go south in a hurry. If you aren't preparing your family just in case, you are foolish.

deltadawg63
03-13-2020, 08:27 AM
I'm a banker in a smaller town and a predominately rural market in Mississippi and there is absolutely no thought to changing from business as usual for our customers and I make those decisions for our bank!

Lord McBuckethead
03-13-2020, 08:34 AM
I'm a banker in a smaller town and a predominately rural market in Mississippi and there is absolutely no thought to changing from business as usual for our customers and I make those decisions for our bank!

Exactly.

ShotgunDawg
03-13-2020, 08:36 AM
Guys, you can't do anything about it, so stop worrying about it.

Do your part & live your life as normal as possible in hopes that others will see that & copy your behavior.

Freaking out about it is senseless, even if it's reality.

99jc
03-13-2020, 08:42 AM
I'm not freaking out I just believe in preparation in case of a bad scenario. If it doesn't get that bad so be it.

ShotgunDawg
03-13-2020, 08:44 AM
I'm not freaking out I just believe in preparation in case of a bad scenario. If it doesn't get that bad so be it.

Prepared for what?

This isn't a natural disaster that prevents people from being able to go to the store.

This is complete hysteria that displays the stupidity of humankind.

There is absolutely nothing that prevents people from living a completely normal life right now, other than not having sports to watch & if everyone would just go about their life normally right now, there would be no issues as there are no issues with the normal flu

Cowbell
03-13-2020, 09:43 AM

That's good to hear. Larger banks are just fine. But there are smaller banks in south and west Texas that have made drastic short-term changes, most likely due to their own poor equity positions (oil I would imagine). I assume that this is going to recover, but there is a chance this could go south for people.

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2020, 09:52 AM
Is it bad? Yes. Is the hysteria making it 1000x worse? Also yes.

Everyone needs to keep living as normal as possible. Obviously, if you're older or have health problems, then probably limit the amt. of people you're around, but there are perfectly healthy people irrationally freaking out right now. It's a highly contagious version of the flu, if you take care of yourself you'll be fine. Honestly, the one good thing to come out of this is people are actually becoming more health conscious and taking personal hygiene a little more seriously.

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 09:55 AM

Everyone needs to keep living as normal as possible. Obviously, if you're older or have health problems, then probably limit the amt. of people you're around, but there are perfectly healthy people irrationally freaking out right now. It's a highly contagious version of the flu, if you take care of yourself you'll be fine. Honestly, the one good thing to come out of this is people are actually becoming more health conscious and taking personal hygiene a little more seriously.

This!

Cowbell
03-13-2020, 11:15 AM

I 100% agree with you man. But the problem is people are going to make it 1000x worse and that is where the problem begins from an economic standpoint.
Amazon is about to make bank though,

Liverpooldawg
03-13-2020, 11:41 AM
I 100% agree with you man. But the problem is people are going to make it 1000x worse and that is where the problem begins from an economic standpoint.

Like you are.

StarkVegasSteve
03-13-2020, 12:43 PM

Oh no doubt you're correct the panic is hurting the economy far worse than the virus has to this point.

gtowndawg
03-13-2020, 12:57 PM
I own a small business and we have not changed our business operation in any way, shape or form.

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 01:00 PM
I own a small business and we have not changed our business operation in any way, shape or form.

Thank you for posting this! This is how we all should be. I'm a marketing director for a medical equipment company and travel all over the southeast. We are not changing anything we do as well. I will be in the Birmingham area all next week, business as usual.

TUSK
03-13-2020, 01:22 PM
I thought err one had a bunker full of supplies, food & ammo....

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 01:23 PM
I thought err one had a bunker full of supplies, food & ammo....

Dude, you came out of you bunker**** lol

TUSK
03-13-2020, 01:27 PM
Dude, you came out of you bunker**** lol

Nope... Well, only to get in my hottub.

I got a hardline running at -2' in conduit...

You zombies ain't gettin' Tusker!

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 01:31 PM
Nope... Well, only to get in my hottub.

I got a hardline running at -2' in conduit...

You zombies ain't gettin' Tusker!

My man!

gtowndawg
03-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Thank you for posting this! This is how we all should be. I'm a marketing director for a medical equipment company and travel all over the southeast. We are not changing anything we do as well. I will be in the Birmingham area all next week, business as usual.

Good! To further add something, I just got off a conference call with 3 executives of a big company here in Memphis. They have 8 manufacturing facilities and 15 distribution centers around the country. They manufacture things I can promise you know or probably use. Anyway, I brought up the virus stuff and they all laughed and within 10 seconds they were like "seriously, let's get down to business." I mean, they just laughed about it. They certainly didn't say it changed anything they are doing or what we are doing with them.

We need to be careful for sure, but the hand wringing is just crazy.

Thick
03-13-2020, 01:40 PM
Grocery stores are beginning to put limits on what you can purchase...ie Kroger in Ridgeland limits the amount of water, toilet paper, etc. Where was all of this panic in H1N1? Screw China, bc it always starts there!

Santiago
03-13-2020, 01:40 PM
I have a steel business (engineering, supply, and construction) and the concern is if my employees get it. It is business as usual, but with precautions. I get more concerned though of our developer clients and the market in case business slows down in commercial construction. Maybe one day there will be mass hysteria that causes everyone to order steel ***
Attitude there luckily is much different than other parts of the country.

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 01:48 PM
Good! To further add something, I just got off a conference call with 3 executives of a big company here in Memphis. They have 8 manufacturing facilities and 15 distribution centers around the country. They manufacture things I can promise you know or probably use. Anyway, I brought up the virus stuff and they all laughed and within 10 seconds they were like "seriously, let's get down to business." I mean, they just laughed about it. They certainly didn't say it changed anything they are doing or what we are doing with them.

We need to be careful for sure, but the hand wringing is just crazy.

Good to hear! I have hundreds of accounts all over the southeast, major and small hospitals, home health agencies and hospices. I've spoken to most of them(including UAB) and have yet to find any that are going crazy over this. Proceeding with caution, yes, hysteria, absolutley not. Good to hear more stories about folks doing business as usual as opposed to the media reports of the mass hysteria. I'm not trying to downplay this in any fashion and many will be affected by this, but we have to continue to try to live as normal as possible, while being vigilant and cautious. I pray that this passes quickly and that as few people as possible are affected.

gtowndawg
03-13-2020, 01:49 PM
I have a steel business (engineering, supply, and construction) and the concern is if my employees get it. It is business as usual, but with precautions. I get more concerned though of our developer clients and the market in case business slows down in commercial construction. Maybe one day there will be mass hysteria that causes everyone to order steel ***
Attitude there luckily is much different than other parts of the country.

Hang in there and keep plugging away!

Jack Lambert
03-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Dude I'm talking about the markets, not just this disease.. We are on the verge of an economic shutdown like we have never seen in our lifetime. If commodity markets don't stabilize next week (not the stock market), things may go south in a hurry. If you aren't preparing your family just in case, you are foolish.

The stock market is going to come back. The market has grown use to situation like this since 9/11. Be happy you can buy some bargains on the market and take advantage of it. Water is going to flow, electricity is going to AC/DC. The shelves will restock every night. Remember 61 million Americans got sick from H1N1 in 2009 and you could still get food from Kroger when all that was going on. Stop the bullshit on the board.

Santiago
03-13-2020, 02:09 PM
Hang in there and keep plugging away!

Really appreciate that!

basedog
03-13-2020, 02:18 PM
Glad to I live in Mississippi, glad to have 80 degree weather, seems to be a great combo when dealing with the Coronavirus.

Just saying

Dawgology
03-13-2020, 03:26 PM
And just like that the Dow jumps up 9% and the stock market makes big gains. Everyone settle the **** down.

Commercecomet24
03-13-2020, 04:02 PM
I'm hoping that after this first wave of hysteria passes that cooler, calmer heads will prevail and maybe things can get back to semi normal.

TNDawg35
03-13-2020, 04:04 PM
Just about my whole family works in food manufacturing industry. My father, step mother, step brother, and step brother all work in one making ice cream. I work in another making whip cream and cake frosting. They told us both that it?s business as usual. If you feel sick, stay home, but if not, you better bring your ass to work. Of course we are taking precautions and the cleaning people have tripled and now clean more stuff daily where as it was getting cleaned every other day...

Maverick
03-13-2020, 04:40 PM
What pisses me off is the hoarders aren't thinking about the grandma down the road. They are just being selfish, what if somebody actually needs that stuff you just bulked up and bought for no reason at all?

If you think you need a months supply to get by here because the economy is going to crap you better get ready to hunt for your food and shit in a bucket.

Obviously this is nothing to play around with but there is no reason to live any different aside from being more conscious about your hygiene. If you need to go to the store for groceries then go but don't just go buy a bunch of crap you don't need because of mass hysteria.

I opened my eyes today and the Lord blessed me with another so as far as I'm concerned he's in control anyway. No amount of worrying changes that....

There's a difference between being aware of the situation and being irrational. My two cents is the main reason we are seeing major crowd gatherings close is more so to give health care time to be ready instead of the shit hitting the fan all at once.

RocketDawg
03-13-2020, 05:36 PM

If it doesn't get "that bad", it means the precautions were successful.

Bothrops
03-13-2020, 06:03 PM
That new panic center off HCPW in Ridgeland couldn't have opened in a better, or worse time.

deadheaddawg
03-13-2020, 07:07 PM
To the people that still think this isn't that big of an issue....how closely are you actually paying attention to the situation? How much do you know about what's going on in Italy for example? Or South Korea for that matter and why there is such a Stark contrast in what's going on between the two? It ain't just about the age of the population.

The economy could suffer more in the long run if we don't control this the best way we can.

You don't have to lock yourself in your basement and hoard stuff, live a fairly normal life but avoid unnecessary travel and gatherings. Yes this will hurt small businesses.....but I don't see a senerio where small businesses are not hurt.

It's about limited the damage and we very likely could hurt our small businesses much more in the long run by taking this lightly now

Joebob
03-15-2020, 08:41 PM
I said this in another thread but I’m going to say it again. There is potential for real financial market turmoil because of all the leveraged borrowing that’s gone on for the last ten or twelve years, so don’t be surprised if the markets tank much worse than you expect. But it won’t be the first time it’s happened. We’ll find a way through it. People still need to eat and wipe their butts.

Right now, my biggest concern is whether people take the effects of this virus serious enough. Since I’m immunocompromised, I’m having to hunker down and stay out of restaurants. I’ve got money to spend, but if I don’t see people taking social distancing seriously, the waiters and waitresses at our favorite restaurants are just going to have to make it without me.

BeardoMSU
03-15-2020, 08:45 PM
If it doesn't get "that bad", it means the precautions were successful.

This.

Cowbell
03-16-2020, 10:43 AM
I feel really bad for the small business owners in this country. The fallout and recovery for this I hope makes our society a better place.

gtowndawg
03-16-2020, 11:00 AM
What pisses me off is the hoarders aren't thinking about the grandma down the road. They are just being selfish, what if somebody actually needs that stuff you just bulked up and bought for no reason at all?

If you think you need a months supply to get by here because the economy is going to crap you better get ready to hunt for your food and shit in a bucket.

Obviously this is nothing to play around with but there is no reason to live any different aside from being more conscious about your hygiene. If you need to go to the store for groceries then go but don't just go buy a bunch of crap you don't need because of mass hysteria.

I opened my eyes today and the Lord blessed me with another so as far as I'm concerned he's in control anyway. No amount of worrying changes that....

There's a difference between being aware of the situation and being irrational. My two cents is the main reason we are seeing major crowd gatherings close is more so to give health care time to be ready instead of the shit hitting the fan all at once.

I have a neighbor that manages a large Kroger. He said people will show up to see what's in stock after daily shipments and then start calling people from the store. An hour later all essential stuff is gone. There's no doubt people are hoarding it.

Irondawg
03-16-2020, 11:10 AM
We are certainly learning a lot about the country as a whole through all of this. The hoarding is insane.

In the end hopefully everyone will get to claim they were right and we can resume normal lives sooner than later.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-16-2020, 12:58 PM
My father in law still has 4 generators in boxes from the 1994 ice Storm.... I doubt they work now.....

deadheaddawg
03-16-2020, 01:23 PM
We are certainly learning a lot about the country as a whole through all of this. The hoarding is insane.

In the end hopefully everyone will get to claim they were right and we can resume normal lives sooner than later.

The hoarding is crazy. So is the resistance to facts. That is a big takeaway from this. Our country is so paranoid we have a large chunk of our population just ignoring this. Hopefully our skeptism of science will start to go down after this bites us in the ass. A lot of what we are about to go through will be a result of our own ignorance. It isn't about right or wrong, its about looking at how this is unfolding everywhere else and putting our egos aside and realize when it comes to things like Viruses being "tough" isn't going to cut it.

Hopefully our inclination to think everything is a political conspiracy will start to go down to. That is what our resistance to action is really about. Paranoia of "the media" and this new fad of thinking everything is a big conspiracy.

Jack Lambert
03-16-2020, 01:28 PM

I needed some distilled water for my daughters fish tank. I went into Ramey's to buy some. They were out. I asked the manager when they might get some in. He said truck will run Tuesday. Then he said that I could use Purified water they sold in the baby section. I told him so you are suggesting I take water a mother might need for her baby to use in a fish tank. He did not reply and acted like got called to go to another part of the building.

Hot Rock
03-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Trump just said, to avoid gatherings of ten or more. That's not happening. There is a time clock right outside my office and there will be a gathering of at least 50 at every shift change and we run around the clock except on weekends.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-16-2020, 03:46 PM
It's not panic if it's rational

It's an overreacting rational I guess

AROB44
03-16-2020, 04:03 PM
Put on your tinfoil hat for this.

China manufactured this thing. There is a huge BioLab in Wuhan. It's political.

Why did Dean Koontz write a book in 1981 that eerily describes almost to a T what has transpired up until now? Psychic Sylvia Brown as well. And the Simpson's episode.....

It feels like end times are upon us. I am not freaking out, though. The Man upstairs is in control. My association with Him feels strong.

Are you really serious?

99jc
03-16-2020, 06:05 PM
I say shut the whole freaking country down for a month.

PKADogs55
03-18-2020, 07:30 AM
Prepared for what?

This isn't a natural disaster that prevents people from being able to go to the store.

This is complete hysteria that displays the stupidity of humankind.

There is absolutely nothing that prevents people from living a completely normal life right now, other than not having sports to watch & if everyone would just go about their life normally right now, there would be no issues as there are no issues with the normal flu

Boom ... Mic Drop!

Joebob
03-18-2020, 08:50 AM
Regarding the hoarding, it would help immensely if the stores would put a limit on the items that immediately sell out. Once people know what the rules are, and know that their neighbor has to follow the rules too, the panic buying will stop almost overnight. It's the fear that your neighbor is going to walk in and buy everything on the shelves that's driving this, and you can't blame people for having that fear. Once rules are in place, things will get more rational. And if the stores don't do it themselves, then an executive order needs to come from the governors. This ain't my first rodeo when it comes to panics. Rationing works, and it's only needed for a little while.

Dawgology
03-18-2020, 09:27 AM
Regarding the hoarding, it would help immensely if the stores would put a limit on the items that immediately sell out. Once people know what the rules are, and know that their neighbor has to follow the rules too, the panic buying will stop almost overnight. It's the fear that your neighbor is going to walk in and buy everything on the shelves that's driving this, and you can't blame people for having that fear. Once rules are in place, things will get more rational. And if the stores don't do it themselves, then an executive order needs to come from the governors. This ain't my first rodeo when it comes to panics. Rationing works, and it's only needed for a little while.

This. But stores are not doing that because it creates a bigger demand which equals more money in their pocket. trust me. They LOVE selling out of items in an hour.

StateDawg44
03-18-2020, 10:17 AM
This. But stores are not doing that because it creates a bigger demand which equals more money in their pocket. trust me. They LOVE selling out of items in an hour.

Some of our major chain stores have done this and expanded on those items. Paper products, cleaning supplies, and dairy products have all been like this since last week. It's not like it still wouldn't sell. It will just allow it to be more spread out. It's really no different other than preventing hoarding possibly.

I actually heard yesterday that they have capped 2 items per on canned goods and other essential goods starting yesterday. This may or may not be true though. I haven't gone to a store since Monday.

Hot Rock
03-18-2020, 12:28 PM
A buddy of mine told the chain of stores he works for will not be putting out Ad's.

In their announcement they said they won't have sale items because they cannot guarantee a supply of them.

So, everything will be regular price, no sales and no advertising.

They aren't exactly raising prices, but they won't be reducing any to get you in the door and they won't be advertising.

I guess we all shopping right now no matter the price uh?

StateDawg44
03-18-2020, 01:08 PM
A buddy of mine told the chain of stores he works for will not be putting out Ad's.

In their announcement they said they won't have sale items because they cannot guarantee a supply of them.

So, everything will be regular price, no sales and no advertising.

They aren't exactly raising prices, but they won't be reducing any to get you in the door and they won't be advertising.

I guess we all shopping right now no matter the price uh?

Is this is actually surprising though?

I'll gladly pay you the 0.25 or 0.50 that could've been saved to get the box of pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, etc. if it feeds my family. Especially if someone else is tripping over not having coupons to clip.

Cowbell
03-18-2020, 10:03 PM
I honestly do not feel like "Hoarding" is much of the issue right now. It's just that a large part of our population does not plan ahead enough to have a stocked pantry. Most people nowadays buy food as they need it. People were buying stuff because they honestly wouldn't have food to eat if restaurants shut down and grocery stores were not ready to handle that demand.
Again, it is perfectly wise and normal to realize that if most everybody shows up at the store to buy food in a 1-3 day period, there will be a shortage so buy when you can. It's why I posted this warning last week. And I didn't have to deal with the masses. But it's nobody's fault. I wish people will quit blaming mass hysteria and hoarding. It's simple supply and demand and I would rather have the food in my cabinets before the covid germs are on it.

R2Dawg
03-19-2020, 11:15 AM
I honestly do not feel like "Hoarding" is much of the issue right now. It's just that a large part of our population does not plan ahead enough to have a stocked pantry. Most people nowadays buy food as they need it. People were buying stuff because they honestly wouldn't have food to eat if restaurants shut down and grocery stores were not ready to handle that demand.
Again, it is perfectly wise and normal to realize that if most everybody shows up at the store to buy food in a 1-3 day period, there will be a shortage so buy when you can. It's why I posted this warning last week. And I didn't have to deal with the masses. But it's nobody's fault. I wish people will quit blaming mass hysteria and hoarding. It's simple supply and demand and I would rather have the food in my cabinets before the covid germs are on it.

Agree. Most people don't plan for anything. Paycheck to paycheck, day to day. Businesses operate their supplies in just in time manor. This is what you get in the overly connected world where we have built a house of cards. The next generation trusts everything, every app and gadget that comes out. That thinking will bite some down the road. No reason to panic but being prepared is wise counsel. That said you can't prepare for every circumstance either. Like those who think we should actually have 5 million ventilators just in case. What is next? Everything in life has some risk, you act on probability of risks.

Irondawg
03-19-2020, 03:10 PM
https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/19/will-the-costs-of-a-great-depression-outweigh-the-risks-of-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR3TW8M_MMXr273ck6DUJFY1z1O6SYbY4xMbJuI5 KABTsWyEzTl_XuM_gDI

This has some slant to it as well but raises some good questions about the economic impact

dawgday166
03-19-2020, 03:25 PM
https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/19/will-the-costs-of-a-great-depression-outweigh-the-risks-of-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR3TW8M_MMXr273ck6DUJFY1z1O6SYbY4xMbJuI5 KABTsWyEzTl_XuM_gDI

This has some slant to it as well but raises some good questions about the economic impact

Brings up some points I've considered myself. Washington and his troops were hunkered down at Valley Forge with smallpox running thru the camp ... which is much more contagious than this seems to be. Good thing they weathered the storm.

Commercecomet24
03-19-2020, 06:15 PM
Anyone heard the rumor about refinery's shutting down and gas supply trucks being taken off the roads?

Noxdog
03-19-2020, 09:13 PM
Anyone heard the rumor about refinery's shutting down and gas supply trucks being taken off the roads?

nm

Commercecomet24
03-19-2020, 09:26 PM
nm

Appreciate it. I figured as much.

TALL DAWG
03-21-2020, 10:13 PM
Appreciate it. I figured as much.

Different subject:
When do folks make a run on their bank $?
If the Dow Jones goes to 14-15k...which would be
a drop of 50+%....would that trigger it?

I?m thinking about pulling $15k out Monday to
have some on hand just in case.

DownwardDawg
03-21-2020, 10:46 PM

As long as they have folks healthy to operate, that ain’t happening. We sending hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil and millions cubic feet of gas their way daily. The US govt gets royalties on every barrel. Billions. Talks happen daily.

Homedawg
03-21-2020, 10:46 PM
Different subject:

Things like this is what leads to more panic. Just saying.

Commercecomet24
03-21-2020, 11:02 PM
Things like this is what leads to more panic. Just saying.

Yeah stay cool keep your money in the bank. Sure keep some cash on hand but stay cool for now.

Commercecomet24
03-21-2020, 11:04 PM
As long as they have folks healthy to operate, that ain’t happening. We sending hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil and millions cubic feet of gas their way daily. The US govt gets royalties on every barrel. Billions. Talks happen daily.

Appreciate it I figured as much! Always good info on here.

DownwardDawg
03-22-2020, 07:58 AM
Yeah stay cool keep your money in the bank. Sure keep some cash on hand but stay cool for now.

Agree. The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.

99jc
03-23-2020, 06:58 PM
I always keep 60k in cash at the house. Just saying.

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2020, 07:29 PM
I always keep 60k in cash at the house. Just saying.

What's your address?

Skydawg1
03-24-2020, 02:13 AM
Corona loves to stick to cash.

Maverick
03-24-2020, 08:52 AM

But if they would have continued to "buy food as they need it" we wouldn't be sitting here. They bought as if the store was going to close down. In my small town last Sunday the egg isle was slap full, in a day or two it was empty. I don't mean a few eggs I mean EMPTY. No eggs, no bacon, no orange juice, no water, no toilet paper, no sandwich meat, no bread. You name it, it's just about gone in 1-2 days. That isn't normal and that isn't buy as you need it.

My wife and I went and got a few things, not because we were trying to run to the store but because we actually needed to go before Sunday but I refused because of how packed it was and all the craziness. Why be around a huge grocery crowd during this? The problem is the store didn't get ahead of this thing and limit people on what they got. I saw someone with a buggy full of meat. I don't mean other items in the bottom with meat on top, I mean strictly meat mound up over the top of the buggy. Do you call that hoarding or buying as needed?

Now, no not everybody did that but the few that did do that are the ones that are causing the problems.

Maverick
03-24-2020, 08:56 AM
Different subject:

I'm just curious but what good do you think cash money would be if things just completely blow up? I've always thought you better have something worth bargaining with and paper isn't it haha.

RocketDawg
03-24-2020, 12:02 PM
That new panic center off HCPW in Ridgeland couldn't have opened in a better, or worse time.

Did the Costco finally get built and open?

Political Hack
03-24-2020, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=MrKotter;1237526]Oh good, another panic thread[/QUOTE

In some cultures they're forbidden to talk about bad things out of fear that it will bring them. Therefore they don't plan for bad things and are unprepared when it happens. Maybe we should all take that approach. Seems to be working out well.

Political Hack
03-24-2020, 02:14 PM
I'm just curious but what good do you think cash money would be if things just completely blow up? I've always thought you better have something worth bargaining with and paper isn't it haha.

Money should be spent for things that you can buy and keep for value when the economy returns. Commodities would be trade/barter most likely. I'd love to see how markets are restablished once things settle down. Hopefully we won't get to witness the desecration of a complete economy and get to watch it be reborn, but if we do it's going to be one hell of a ride.

Bothrops
03-24-2020, 07:46 PM
Did the Costco finally get built and open?

Yeah, the day it opened was the very first day everyone went apeshit to get out and buy toiletries.

Joebob
03-24-2020, 10:09 PM
Different subject:

There?s absolutely no reason to worry about your money unless you have more than $250K in the bank. The government will protect that money before they protect anything. I?ve lived through panics before and know full well how they can spread, but I?m not worried about this. I just shake my head every time I see a line at a bank.

Having said that, if you thought your bank could go under, it probably wouldn?t hurt to have some cash on hand to make it through the weekend while the bank is closed for reorganization. But hell, a thunderstorm could knock out power for days to your town, so it?s still a good idea to have a little cash on hand.