PDA

View Full Version : No More Baseball

StarkVegasSteve
03-12-2020, 03:31 PM
NCAA just announced no winter or spring championships.

Scared_Hitless
03-12-2020, 03:33 PM
What a gut punch.

Homedawg
03-12-2020, 03:34 PM
Just terrible.

msstate7
03-12-2020, 03:35 PM
Does the school refund tix?

Wonder how much of a distribution hit we will take with no MCB and WCB tourneys

shoeless joe
03-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Not sure why they’re pulling the plug on the spring sports just yet. They should allow all players to red shirt. Of course, won’t really help in baseball for the upper tier guys

SheltonChoked
03-12-2020, 03:40 PM
NCAA just announced no winter or spring championships.

What is the redshirt rule? Can we redshirt everyone?

Negative Waves
03-12-2020, 03:43 PM
What is the redshirt rule? Can we redshirt everyone?

They need to grant all the baseball players an extra year of eligibility. I guess no spring football practice either.

StarkVegasSteve
03-12-2020, 03:43 PM
So now the question becomes have we seen TA, Westy, Foscue, and Rowdey play their last games as Bulldogs.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2020, 03:44 PM
Wow, just awful.

Dawg2003
03-12-2020, 03:47 PM
So we've seen Jordan Danberry, Tyson, Reggie, and all the baseball guys for the last time. No more Westburg, Foscue, Spencer Price, Riley, ect. I'm sad.

StarkVegasSteve
03-12-2020, 03:50 PM
So we've seen Jordan Danberry, Tyson, Reggie, and all the baseball guys for the last time. No more Westburg, Foscue, Spencer Price, Riley, ect. I'm sad.

Surely there's a RS rule and they'll give these guys another year. Hell the baseball guys have only played like 12 games. Maybe it's just false hope. I'd love if that group of baseball juniors came back to make one more run at it.

wild_dawg
03-12-2020, 03:51 PM
Damn this sucks....

MetEdDawg
03-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Baseball schools won't be able to handle the scholarship demands of folks returning. There's too many bodies for 11.7 scholarships.

This is an epic cluster that the NCAA is going to have to spend considerable thought.

Scared_Hitless
03-12-2020, 03:57 PM
Baseball schools won't be able to handle the scholarship demands of folks returning. There's too many bodies for 11.7 scholarships.

This is an epic cluster that the NCAA is going to have to spend considerable thought.

Time to make a bad situation into a win and fix the scholarship situation.

StarkVegasSteve
03-12-2020, 04:02 PM

This is the time to erase all the stupidity with 11.7. This is the chance to make it right. So I'm sure the NCAA will royally 17 it up.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2020, 04:03 PM

Exactly! Should've been fixed years ago, but I'm sure the ncaa will screw this up too.

Coursesuper
03-12-2020, 04:10 PM
Exactly! Should've been fixed years ago, but I'm sure the ncaa will screw this up too.

Screw up of epic proportions, I foresee a football bat level of stupidity coming on strong shore to shore.

StarkVegasSteve
03-12-2020, 04:12 PM
We may not be dead just yet. The SEC Dept. Commissioner just told SportsTalk that the SEC hasn't made a decision on what they'll do despite no Omaha. I personally like the idea of a Hoover National Championship

Johnson85
03-12-2020, 04:13 PM

I suspect a lot of the juniors will leave even if offered an extra year of eligibility so they don't get screwed. For the ones that don't and for seniors, I suspect teams will have to make a decision if 1 more year of scholarship for them is worth potentially losing a signee over.

Definitely going to create a log jam though that I guess will push some more guys to JUCO.

TNDawg35
03-12-2020, 04:19 PM
I have a feeling this won?t last...

Commercecomet24
03-12-2020, 04:19 PM
Screw up of epic proportions, I foresee a football bat level of stupidity coming on strong shore to shore.

You know it brother!

HoopsDawg
03-12-2020, 04:30 PM
Crazy. Why not wait 2 weeks and then re-evaluate.

msstate7
03-12-2020, 04:30 PM

I really don't think they give a crap about baseball and softball. Basketball is the killer

The Federalist Engineer
03-12-2020, 04:37 PM

Totally stupid- could just pause for 4 weeks with a scheduled update in 2 weeks

Homedawg
03-12-2020, 04:51 PM

Considerable thought after making a hasty decision?? Ha. Maybe they would have been cancelled. But doing it now is beyond stupid.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2020, 05:07 PM
Considerable thought after making a hasty decision?? Ha. Maybe they would have been cancelled. But doing it now is beyond stupid.

Yep couldn't agree more.

LC Dawg
03-12-2020, 05:16 PM
Starkville's economy is about to be crushed. No baseball, no Super Bulldog Weekend, no Cotton District Festival (presumably), no students at least for a while.

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2020, 05:21 PM
Starkville's economy is about to be crushed. No baseball, no Super Bulldog Weekend, no Cotton District Festival (presumably), no students at least for a while.
Every small college town in America will be.

Weston M.
03-12-2020, 05:39 PM
Going to be a weird feeling having so little sports to talk about for the foreseeable future. Just an incredible turn of events. I propose a toast to all married men here on the board: Hopefully your wives will understand your grieving and will put out like never before over the next several weeks/months. Fingers crossed and good will to all.

Bothrops
03-12-2020, 05:42 PM
Even if it doesn't last, the schedule is going to be shortened substantially and completely messed up.

ZedFedder
03-12-2020, 06:06 PM
This is a cluster man.

Coach34
03-12-2020, 06:10 PM
11.7 schollys for baseball is there because of Title IX. To give baseball more schollys one of 2 things has to happen:

A) Take schollys away from other men's sports or reduce a men's sport
B) Add scholarships to a women's sport or add more women's sports

Dawgology
03-12-2020, 06:24 PM
11.7 schollys for baseball is there because of Title IX. To give baseball more schollys one of 2 things has to happen:

Just reduce football by 10.

Quaoarsking
03-12-2020, 06:31 PM

As previously stated, Title IX is a scapegoat. There's nothing that prevents the NCAA from saying "OK, you can now have 20 scholarships in baseball, and it's up to you to figure out how to stay in compliance with Title IX."

Very few athletic programs sponsor every sport, and outside the P5, most don't give the full scholarship allotment in their sports anyway. Therefore, expanding baseball scholarships would just lead to schools making the same decisions they already have to make.

The Federalist Engineer
03-12-2020, 06:41 PM
Just reduce football by 10.

+1

Commercecomet24
03-12-2020, 06:53 PM
As previously stated, Title IX is a scapegoat. There's nothing that prevents the NCAA from saying "OK, you can now have 20 scholarships in baseball, and it's up to you to figure out how to stay in compliance with Title IX."

Very few athletic programs sponsor every sport, and outside the P5, most don't give the full scholarship allotment in their sports anyway. Therefore, expanding baseball scholarships would just lead to schools making the same decisions they already have to make.

This!

Todd4State
03-12-2020, 08:37 PM

College baseball's problem is the smaller schools like the Holy Cross's of the world that are against increasing the scholarship money because it hurts their ability to be competitive in baseball because they don't have the money to invest in it.

It would be like the FCS football teams and the FBS football teams being all in one conference and the Mississippi Valley State's voting against 85 scholarships and forcing everyone to have 50 because that's all that they can afford for example.

That's why I and others have been saying that college baseball needs to split into divisions like football does. You could have the SEC, ACC, Big 12, PAC 12, and maybe Big 10 and then some mid major conferences that have some decent programs that care about baseball like the American, C-USA, and Sun Belt and then maybe have Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach State join the PAC 12 as baseball only members and that would be a very viable collegiate baseball league. Teams have 30 full scholarships. No BS Vandy hardship scholarships.

Offshore Dawg
03-12-2020, 08:41 PM
I have a feeling this won?t last...

Based on what.

TNDawg35
03-12-2020, 08:58 PM
Based on what.
Because if it does last, I will be sad and I want to think positive... I had already taken off to take my daughter to the Memphis game on the 31st... I don?t want to miss that time with her...

Now if you will excuse me, I?m going to cry in my pillow...

BuckyIsAB****
03-12-2020, 09:37 PM
They need to grant all the baseball players an extra year of eligibility. I guess no spring football practice either.

We are practicing in the spring. They report on the 22nd. Only difference maybe the game not being open to the public but I would bet that is open

BuckyIsAB****
03-12-2020, 09:38 PM
We may not be dead just yet. The SEC Dept. Commissioner just told SportsTalk that the SEC hasn't made a decision on what they'll do despite no Omaha. I personally like the idea of a Hoover National Championship

Hell yes. Sign me up right now. That would be must see TV. Better than Omaha bc of the rivalries

Todd4State
03-12-2020, 10:05 PM
I could see the SEC pushing for playing the SEC season or some of it because of how important baseball is to so many SEC schools.

BuckyIsAB****
03-12-2020, 10:19 PM
Kyle Peterson hinting pretty strongly on twitter that it aint over

Todd4State
03-12-2020, 10:57 PM
Kyle Peterson hinting pretty strongly on twitter that it aint over

My hope is that the silver lining in all of this is the power conferences finally banding together to eventually split out from the other smaller conferences.

Homedawg
03-12-2020, 11:07 PM
My hope is that the silver lining in all of this is the power conferences finally banding together to eventually split out from the other smaller conferences.

I think it will eventually happen but it's not any time soon.

hp22
03-12-2020, 11:09 PM
I'm going to hold out hope and try to be positive. Hopefully they get this under control in a month. But who knows at this point.

I know it's going to sting at 6pm tomorrow night not being at DNF. I couldn't wait to see Macleod against that lineup.

I see a baseball team with a sweep against a competitive Wright State team and a series win against an Oregon State team that has some spot talent. Two wins against the number 2 team in the country. And yet we have played average baseball and lost our best hitter and a first rounder. Our high side potential is up there.