PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tournament - No Fans Allowed.

Cloak
03-11-2020, 03:48 PM
NCAA announced today that no fans will be allowed to attend the men's or women's tournament.

https://i.imgur.com/1dd2beD.jpg

Dawgology
03-11-2020, 03:49 PM
This is either a HUGE overreaction or a massive coverup regarding how dangerous this virus is.

deadheaddawg
03-11-2020, 03:49 PM
smart move

deadheaddawg
03-11-2020, 03:50 PM
This is either a HUGE overreaction or a massive coverup regarding how dangerous this virus is.

lol

KOdawg1
Wow. Gotta think baseball won't be too far behind unless this thing lightens up big time over the next few months.

msstate7
If we get in, watch out... this will be like playing at home

msstate7
03-11-2020, 03:51 PM
MLB opening day in 2 weeks. Will they allow fans?

Dawgology
03-11-2020, 03:55 PM
lol

The reaon I said that is that new reports are coming out in regards to COVID-19 indicating that it has already hit the top of the bell curve in Chine and is drastically trending down with the mortality rate plummeting. I also read a report this morning via NYT where they were reporting that COVID-19 appears to be less contagious than the common flu. Did they cancel the NCAA tournaments for Ebola or SARS? I honestly can't remember.

BeardoMSU
03-11-2020, 03:55 PM

Lol. Nice.

BeardoMSU
03-11-2020, 03:56 PM

Italy is definitely part of the conspiracy**

Commercecomet24
03-11-2020, 04:00 PM
The reaon I said that is that new reports are coming out in regards to COVID-19 indicating that it has already hit the top of the bell curve in Chine and is drastically trending down with the mortality rate plummeting. I also read a report this morning via NYT where they were reporting that COVID-19 appears to be less contagious than the common flu. Did they cancel the NCAA tournaments for Ebola or SARS? I honestly can't remember.

I've read several reports stating that as well. Also, I have some professional contact with the CDC who are telling me the same. We'll see how it goes and hopefully this is correct.

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-11-2020, 04:01 PM

Bravo

Commercecomet24
03-11-2020, 04:02 PM

Rep Given! We may have a huge advantage then lol!

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2020, 04:05 PM
MLB opening day in 2 weeks. Will they allow fans?

Seattle has already cancelled their games against the rangers that would have been the home opener... I'm betting that won't be the last. New York.. Cali....

KOdawg1
03-11-2020, 04:06 PM
This goes for the women too. The Hump will be empty when the ladies host next week

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2020, 04:07 PM

You should read more reports... the amount of people in America is doubling every day now. This crap about it being less deadly than the common flu is just dumb. Just now, Italy just reported 200 people died in the past 24 hours.

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2020, 04:09 PM

Yep... all 4,552 people are playing dead around the world...
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

BeardoMSU
03-11-2020, 04:12 PM
You should read more reports... the amount of people in America is doubling every day now. This crap about it being less deadly than the common flu is just dumb. Just now, Italy just reported 200 people died in the past 24 hours.

This.

Death rate for the common flu is ~ 0.1%. Covid-19 is somewhere between 1 and 4%....even if it's on the low end, and that's being conservative, that's TEN TIMES more deadly.

msstate7
03-11-2020, 04:24 PM
This.

Death rate for the common flu is ~ 0.1%. Covid-19 is somewhere between 1 and 4%....even if it's on the low end, and that's being conservative, that's TEN TIMES more deadly.

Obviously the death rate is much higher with corona than flu, but wouldn't you have to figure in how likely you are to get it to determine which is more deadly? Flu seems to be much easier to get [34,000,000 - 49,000,000 cases since last October (CDC https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm )]. So if you are much more likely to get one with a much lower death rate, it could still be more deadly then, right? Maybe I'm just looking at this from the wrong perspective.

Turfdawg67
03-11-2020, 04:25 PM
NCAA announced today that no fans will be allowed to attend the men's or women's tournament.

https://i.imgur.com/1dd2beD.jpg

When hopefully this is a forgotten issue, it'll be because of actions like these and not because our leaders "had a hunch" it wasn't as bad as the CDC thought it was.

dawgs
03-11-2020, 04:31 PM

Or on an individual level most people are fine without much more than cold/flu like symptoms, but because of how contagious it is, even a small percentage requiring medica care would completely overwhelm the healthcare system if everyone got sick at the same time. All everyone is trying to do is prevent folks from dying because we can't find them a ventilator, much less get them into a hospital. This is about preventing a major healthcare crisis if thousands of folks suddenly need medical attention, not about the majority of people who only get a mild fever and stuffy nose.

dawgs
03-11-2020, 04:34 PM

Well Ebola required contact with bodily fluids, which isn't common for folks to contact at sporting events. SARS didn't cause an entire major European country to shut down its borders and put the country on quarantine either. Only a little over 8,000 SARS cases were reported, compared to 113,000 and growing number of folks drunk on the coronavirus. So the scope of this is much larger than anything we've seen in my lifetime. And compared to swine flu/h1n1 and Zika, those each had much lower mortality rates. And we still may surpass the billion of so people that contracted swine flu if models showing 40-70% of the worlds population will contract the coronavirus are correct.

deadheaddawg
03-11-2020, 04:45 PM

It's trending down in China because they went to extreme measures to lock down people.

We can't do that here because too many people are dumb and think this is no more dangerous than the flu

RocketDawg
03-11-2020, 04:49 PM
Wow. Gotta think baseball won't be too far behind unless this thing lightens up big time over the next few months.

Perhaps - one good thing about baseball is that it's played outside. That may or may not make any difference in the proliferation of the virus.

Just to be on the safe side, it might be wise to stop shaking hands when you meet someone.

RocketDawg
03-11-2020, 04:52 PM

Yes, huge advantage for us. **

msstate7
03-11-2020, 04:55 PM
Well Ebola required contact with bodily fluids, which isn't common for folks to contact at sporting events. SARS didn't cause an entire major European country to shut down its borders and put the country on quarantine either. Only a little over 8,000 SARS cases were reported, compared to 113,000 and growing number of folks drunk on the coronavirus. So the scope of this is much larger than anything we've seen in my lifetime. And compared to swine flu/h1n1 and Zika, those each had much lower mortality rates. And we still may surpass the billion of so people that contracted swine flu if models showing 40-70% of the worlds population will contract the coronavirus are correct.

40-70% of the world's population? What is that based on? China is ground zero... their population is around 1.4 billion with say 100,000 cases (number being reported is ~ 81,000) is 0.0000714 of the Chinese population

WinningIsRelentless
03-11-2020, 04:58 PM
China is 10x worse than what they are reporting. They control the media over there and aren?t truthful about anything.

RocketDawg
03-11-2020, 04:59 PM
It's trending down in China because they went to extreme measures to lock down people.

We can't do that here because too many people are dumb and think this is no more dangerous than the flu

Yes, they drastically limited contact. I know a person who's son is in China. He and his wife were essentially not allowed to leave their apartment. The could not go shopping. Food had to be delivered to them, and then only payment by credit card - no transfer of cash. When using the elevator, they had to punch the buttons with a pen containing a special fluid (probably just alcohol). Those are just examples of the restrictions.

msstate7
03-11-2020, 05:04 PM
China is 10x worse than what they are reporting. They control the media over there and aren?t truthful about anything.

Let's say it's a 100x worse... 10,000,000 cases with a population of 1.4 billion is 0.0071 of their population has it. 40-70% of the world's population is quite a reach, eh?

RocketDawg
03-11-2020, 05:06 PM
There was a large USAA conference set for next week in Huntsville with 6,800 participants. It's been canceled because of the virus. That's a huge hit to the economy of the city, and is just one of many cancellations already announced or coming. Delta said passenger traffic is down about 30% systemwide (I think that's the number given on the Weather Channel this morning).

Liverpooldawg
03-11-2020, 05:07 PM

He didn't say it was less deadly. Read it again.

ShotgunDawg
03-11-2020, 05:12 PM

I'm sure insurance companies are driving this

MrKotter
03-11-2020, 05:12 PM

Read what is posted before overreacting

BeardoMSU
03-11-2020, 05:13 PM
40-70% of the world's population? What is that based on? China is ground zero... their population is around 1.4 billion with say 100,000 cases (number being reported is ~ 81,000) is 0.0000714 of the Chinese population

German chancellor announced they are expecting at least 70% of their population to get exposure, fwiw.

BeardoMSU
03-11-2020, 05:15 PM
There was a large USAA conference set for next week in Huntsville with 6,800 participants. It's been canceled because of the virus. That's a huge hit to the economy of the city, and is just one of many cancellations already announced or coming. Delta said passenger traffic is down about 30% systemwide (I think that's the number given on the Weather Channel this morning).

We aren't alone in this. Italy just announced they are closing all retail stores, bars, and restaurants. Only stores that will remain open are groceries and pharmacies.

msstate7
03-11-2020, 05:17 PM
German chancellor announced they are expecting at least 70% of their population to get exposure, fwiw.

Are "exposure" and "contraction" the same? I really don't know the terminology

Liverpooldawg
03-11-2020, 05:23 PM
Are "exposure" and "contraction" the same? I really don't know the terminology

No, they are NOT the same thing.

msstate7
03-11-2020, 05:25 PM
No, they are NOT the same thing.

Didn't think so. It would be interesting to know the contraction rate among the exposed group.

WinningIsRelentless
03-11-2020, 05:26 PM
I'm sure insurance companies are driving this

Hell no they aren?t. They are about to take a killing because of all of this.

Liverpooldawg
03-11-2020, 05:26 PM
One number I'd like to see, and I haven't seen it from anywhere, is what % of the "self isolated" people who have been exposed actually go on to get the disease.

Liverpooldawg
03-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Didn't think so. It would be interesting to know the contraction rate among the exposed group.

It would. I don't know if there is anyway to determine that yet.

dawgs
03-11-2020, 05:37 PM
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/simple-math-alarming-answers-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR113aCBLiigOezNwyC7TvoYhx5KZE8sol6_2ur4 OCBKGyEBb6M9nwEgbeA

Well we can do nothing and watching the numbers double for a month or so until we don't have anywhere to put the folks that actually need treatment. Either we are "overreacting" when it's not a worst case scenario (probably because of "overreacting"), or we half ass it and by the time we realize we have to do something there's not shit we can do. Does anyone know the "right" amount of actions that should be taken right now to keep everything for going to shit like in Italy? Should we err on the side of caution or be relaxed about it? In a couple months if we can keep shit from getting out of hand, does that mean we reacted the right amount or did we overreact and it wouldn't have been any better or worse if we'd just let 40K people into domes to watch basketball games?

dawgs
03-11-2020, 05:41 PM
It would. I don't know if there is anyway to determine that yet.

That's another thing, the doctors that do this shit for a career don't have the data available yet to know all this, which makes it even more important to try and slow it down to allow the research to catch up a bit.

msstate7
03-11-2020, 05:47 PM
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/simple-math-alarming-answers-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR113aCBLiigOezNwyC7TvoYhx5KZE8sol6_2ur4 OCBKGyEBb6M9nwEgbeA

Well we can do nothing and watching the numbers double for a month or so until we don't have anywhere to put the folks that actually need treatment. Either we are "overreacting" when it's not a worst case scenario (probably because of "overreacting"), or we half ass it and by the time we realize we have to do something there's not shit we can do. Does anyone know the "right" amount of actions that should be taken right now to keep everything for going to shit like in Italy? Should we err on the side of caution or be relaxed about it? In a couple months if we can keep shit from getting out of hand, does that mean we reacted the right amount or did we overreact and it wouldn't have been any better or worse if we'd just let 40K people into domes to watch basketball games?

I'm all for trying to prevent spread; I have no problem with canceling attendance to sporting events. I just think the 40-70% contraction of world population isn't based on anything but trying to scare

Bothrops
03-11-2020, 05:47 PM
The media is probably getting false info from health experts that don't really know themselves.

dawgs
03-11-2020, 05:53 PM
I'm all for trying to prevent spread; I have no problem with canceling attendance to sporting events. I just think the 40-70% contraction of world population isn't based on anything but trying to scare

Is a common range From a variety of experts using data and modeling. Keep in mind that a lot of folks can contract it and be a carrier with little to no symptoms. Most will just feel like they have a bad cold or the flu for a couple days and be fine. so it's unlikely that a majority of folks will require hospital care, but we don't need a lot of the folks that do contract it to need hospital care before we are ****ed.

Dawgology
03-11-2020, 05:54 PM

I never said less deadly I said less contagious. Those are two drastically different things.

Bdawg
03-11-2020, 05:56 PM
Obviously the death rate is much higher with corona than flu, but wouldn't you have to figure in how likely you are to get it to determine which is more deadly? Flu seems to be much easier to get [34,000,000 - 49,000,000 cases since last October (CDC https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm )]. So if you are much more likely to get one with a much lower death rate, it could still be more deadly then, right? Maybe I'm just looking at this from the wrong perspective.

I'm kinda with you. How many cases is China reporting? If this stuff spread like the flu, China of all places should have millions contracting this stuff with their dense, high populations.

Liverpooldawg
03-11-2020, 05:58 PM
I'm kinda with you. How many cases is China reporting? If this stuff spread like the flu, China of all places should have millions contracting this stuff with their dense, high populations.

They didn't lock down the whole country either.

Dawgology
03-11-2020, 06:02 PM
You guys are right. It's time to ****ing panic. I'm going to go home and wrap myself in toilet paper and douse myself in bottled water and antibacterial soap. See ya'll on the other side, mother****ers!!

Dawgology
03-11-2020, 06:05 PM

10 of millions. Flu has an R0 value of like 1.3 and early reports are that Corona had an R0 value of something like 2.5 (almost double). There have been 15 million cases of the flu reported since January. We should be seeing approximately 28 million cases of Covid-19 by now if that R0 value is correct.

Homedawg
03-11-2020, 06:21 PM
Perhaps - one good thing about baseball is that it's played outside. That may or may not make any difference in the proliferation of the virus.

Just to be on the safe side, it might be wise to stop shaking hands when you meet someone.

Ncaa is going to shut down baseball. Book it. Attending that is.

TXDawg
03-11-2020, 06:40 PM
Complete media hysteria.

If it bleeds, it leads.

So stupid!

BeardoMSU
03-11-2020, 06:47 PM
Complete media hysteria.

If it bleeds, it leads.

So stupid!

The country's leading expert on infectious disease, and the head of the Trump/Pence C-19 response team, disagrees with you, btw......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE8qrK2zOtY

Joebob
03-11-2020, 06:54 PM
10 of millions. Flu has an R0 value of like 1.3 and early reports are that Corona had an R0 value of something like 2.5 (almost double). There have been 15 million cases of the flu reported since January. We should be seeing approximately 28 million cases of Covid-19 by now if that R0 value is correct.

What I think you’re missing is that this strain of the flu has been around for a year or two (remember, it takes 18 months to make a vaccine). Covid-19 has only been around two and a half months.

LC Dawg
03-11-2020, 07:01 PM
With a lot of unknowns still about the virus the only way known (and they may not know this 100%) to keep it from spreading is to avoid contact with people who have the virus. I have no problem erring on the side of caution. I've had the flu a few times and survived each time and also been immunized so I don't really worry that much about it but I've never had this virus so I don't know what to expect if I contract it so there's a little bit of fear. I'm supposed to fly, with a layover in Atlanta, on Monday so it's big time on my mind.

Commercecomet24
03-11-2020, 07:01 PM
If things continue the way they're going the economic repercussions are going to be devastating. It's frightening.

Joebob
03-11-2020, 07:04 PM
Just FWIW, a lot of people that think this is overhyped are missing the fact that this virus really hits people with co-morbidities (cancer treatment, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.). There are a LOT of people in that group. Personally, I’ve had a kidney transplant and have a suppressed immune system, so this is scary as hell for me. Especially since there are so many people that are taking this lightly and probably won’t take the proper precautions to help prevent spread.

BeardoMSU
03-11-2020, 07:07 PM
Especially since there are so many people that are taking this lightly and probably won’t take the proper precautions to help prevent spread.

This^^^

The Federalist Engineer
03-11-2020, 07:14 PM

Italy in Lombardy and Veneto - and basically everywhere else in Italia - is kind of nasty. They don?t use a substance called ?hot? water. Or always wash glasses they give tourists. They hate the tourist that visit them, especially the Asians

In Venice, It?s not racism, or hidden...they tell you. But ladies love Venice regardless, floating down a sewer is romantic

I probably got jaded by visiting Italy too much, for work. I don?t eat much until I get to Spain or Belgium or a nice place in the itinerary.

Dawgology
03-11-2020, 07:17 PM
The country's leading expert on infectious disease, and the head of the Trump/Pence C-19 response team, disagrees with you, btw......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE8qrK2zOtY

He's 100% correct. The US hasn't peaked yet. If it follows the progression it did in China then it will probably peak sometime in May and then it will follow the bell curve downward. Italy will probably peak in April.

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2020, 08:09 PM
I never said less deadly I said less contagious. Those are two drastically different things.

Didn't say you said it. It's all over Facebook and Twitter. Including some other posters here.

If you don't believe that sorry I grouped you in there. I've got some links I'll share later.
All this is being done because short of declaring martial law we can't do what China did. We have to stop the curve before it gets too high and keeps doubling every day. The health care system can't keep up and more people will die.
Something I wanted to research more was the theory that Americans are at a greater risk due to obesity and high blood pressure.

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2020, 08:11 PM
You guys are right. It's time to ****ing panic. I'm going to go home and wrap myself in toilet paper and douse myself in bottled water and antibacterial soap. See ya'll on the other side, mother****ers!!

I mean if ya ain't scared.. Say so
I can send you a link to sign up to be a nurse in Washington or to be a Guinea pig to be injected with the virus overseas for 4500

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2020, 08:12 PM

We just now are getting the testing up... More will continue to be found unfortunately