PDA

View Full Version : Finebaum saying Kiffin going to take over the State of MS in recruiting....

maroonmania
03-09-2020, 09:46 PM
I know he can be a moron but it is interesting to hear how some outsiders perceive how this thing between Leach and Kiffin will work out.

-------
As Mississippi State progresses through Leach's first year on the job, how do the Bulldogs project in 2020 and beyond? --

"I think it's going to be this year," Finebaum said of Mississippi State's best season under Leach. "Well, I'm not saying it's going (downhill after that). ... I think, because of the quarterback situation ? he's got the kid from Stanford, (graduate transfer quarterback KJ Costello), he looks really good ? I just don't know about Mike Leach's recruiting down the road."

"And I think the reason I bring that up is because Kiffin will ultimately start taking over that state," Finebaum said. "He didn't do it in the first go-around because I think it was really difficult to get established, but Lane is a very smart recruiter. Leach recruits a different type of athlete."
-------

Guess we are going to find out whether Leach and Company have been limited in recruiting because of school location or because they just are not that great at recruiting.

Todd4State
03-09-2020, 10:26 PM
Thanks for reminding me why I don't watch or listen to his bullshit.

I hope Joe does well at Rutgers which he basically called our AD a liar about. We see how that all went down.

Anyway he's wrong because he only pays attention to Alabama and doesn't understand that Ole Miss brought in Kiffin to recruit nationally and we brought in Leach and we are still going to have a large focus on Mississippi.

This is exactly what these "hot take" sports personalities do- they make a stupid quote or comment and then add in a little parachute like "This is going to be Leach's best year....Well, I'm not saying it's going downhill after that".

The excuse he made about Kiffin not recruiting well is drivel. Heck, even Dan Mullen pulled in Chad Bumphis after taking over.

It has been pretty consistently proven that Leach recruits at or slightly above the profile of the school. Meaning the "experts" at 247 will continue to underrate people like Janari Dean and make them three stars and make our class look worse than it really is. And then they'll win 8-9 games at least three times in their career here.

Kiffin has never recruited well without Coach O on his staff. That has to be a little concerning considering how Ole Miss's last class turned out.

KOdawg1
03-09-2020, 10:30 PM
The state of Mississippi will always be split pretty close to 50/50. That's the way it's always been, regardless of the "elite" recruiters OM has trotted out there.

ZedFedder
03-09-2020, 10:47 PM
The state of Mississippi will always be split pretty close to 50/50. That's the way it's always been, regardless of the "elite" recruiters OM has trotted out there.

This. Many of them will be leaning to OM or MSU because of loyalties growing up regardless of the coach.

Tmjdog
03-09-2020, 11:02 PM
Finebaum is an arrogant ass. Kiffin coached at AL so of course he will say good things about him. He has no educated opinion on this, & no idea how recruiting plays out in our state.

Avelso
03-09-2020, 11:30 PM
Please let Bartoo go on Finebaum and let actual numbers speak for themselves instead of opinions. I prefer the numbers game all day long.

Cooterpoot
03-09-2020, 11:32 PM
Well, we're recruiting TX harder than MS, so he might not be completely incorrect. We passed on two top QBs instate and there's not the normal DL recruits this year. WR is deep and we're on some of them. OL is average instate. But we're looking out of state pretty hard for skill guys.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-10-2020, 07:21 AM
Well, we're recruiting TX harder than MS, so he might not be completely incorrect. We passed on two top QBs instate and there's not the normal DL recruits this year. WR is deep and we're on some of them. OL is average instate. But we're looking out of state pretty hard for skill guys.

Yep the funny thing is OM is doing the same.

msstate7
03-10-2020, 07:26 AM
Please let Bartoo go on Finebaum and let actual numbers speak for themselves instead of opinions. I prefer the numbers game all day long.

Bartoo had Moorhead as a + coach up until like the very end. Leach's record is outstanding... he doesn't need bartoo

BrunswickDawg
03-10-2020, 07:31 AM

QB is something that I trust Leach on more than anything. He already has 1 MS QB he wanted in Rodgers. So if he felt like the in-state guys weren't a fit, and we end up landing Robertson instead I understand it (and that's the way it looks right now).
With DL weaker this year we have to look elsewhere, and OL was something that we bashed others about not going OOS on when there were holes. So, we can't have it both ways. I think Leach is going to recruit just fine in MS, but isn't going to not look OOS when there is the need.

This just came out yesterday (I follow VSU since my youngest is there) and I think is Leach taking advantage of connections in areas that have similar players to MS to fill holes. South GA can be a gold mine

https://twitter.com/CoachGGoff/status/1237063376997621762?s=20

Jack Lambert
03-10-2020, 07:44 AM
Say what you want but ole miss gets all the props in magazine, ESPN, SEC and that A hole because ole miss pays for it. I truly believe they pay reporters and commentators under the table. They all can't be so stupid to say that crap and believe.

MedDawg
03-10-2020, 08:56 AM

Yep. Even when one school is doing better than the other on the field. There might be a singular year here or there where one state dominates the Top 10 recruits in MS over the other, but over any span of years we each get some of the best MS players.

MetEdDawg
03-10-2020, 09:06 AM
Someone tell me why owning MS is a good thing? We have owned MS pretty consistently over the past 5-6 years and while it's gotten us some solid players, it's never provided us with a recipe for winning big and winning consistently. It's provided us with cyclical success at best.

Sure coaching change had some to do with that but we will always have that. I think expanding our base and getting out of the state of MS would help us in the long run. We need to start replacing the 25th kid in MS with the 30th or 40th kid from TX. The state of Texas had 51 4 stars this year, so why not go grab some of those kids instead of these lower rated 3 star in state projects?

Compete for the big time kids in MS. Top 15 or so. Then go out and get kids from other states if you can that are higher rated. No one is successful in college football dominating a state the size of MS. They get talent from other states. We should do the same.

ShotgunDawg
03-10-2020, 09:27 AM
Someone tell me why owning MS is a good thing? We have owned MS pretty consistently over the past 5-6 years and while it's gotten us some solid players, it's never provided us with a recipe for winning big and winning consistently. It's provided us with cyclical success at best.

Sure coaching change had some to do with that but we will always have that. I think expanding our base and getting out of the state of MS would help us in the long run. We need to start replacing the 25th kid in MS with the 30th or 40th kid from TX. The state of Texas had 51 4 stars this year, so why not go grab some of those kids instead of these lower rated 3 star in state projects?

Compete for the big time kids in MS. Top 15 or so. Then go out and get kids from other states if you can that are higher rated. No one is successful in college football dominating a state the size of MS. They get talent from other states. We should do the same.

We certainly must do better out of state but it's hard to see how MSU can be good without doing well in state.

1bigdawg
03-10-2020, 09:30 AM

This is true. What is important is for the two schools to keep the top players in state by minimizing the kids that leavve and go to Bama and LSU etc.

StarkVegasSteve
03-10-2020, 10:02 AM
What shocks me is that Finebaum has been praising Leach for years and then as soon as he goes to State it suddenly like he sucks. And how does this Lane can recruit narrative keep following him everywhere. Can people not see it was O doing all the recruiting for him?

thf24
03-10-2020, 10:26 AM
It's incredible how nothing much more than Kiffin's internet meme status has somehow led to the almost completely unfounded belief that he's some kind of legendary coach and recruiter.

Dawgology
03-10-2020, 11:00 AM
This is typical media talk. It never plays out in the end. They just keep muttering it.

And what kind of idiot thinks this will be Leach's best season?? LMAO!!!!!! Complete opposite take than everywhere he has ever been.

parabrave
03-10-2020, 12:54 PM
The bald headed Shi* for brains couldn't spell Mississippi if you spotted him a M, 4 Ss, 4 Is and 2 Ps.

John56
03-10-2020, 01:39 PM
17 that wing nut looking SOB.

Tripp McNeely
03-10-2020, 02:05 PM
Y?all give Finebaum waaayyy too much credit. He doesn?t follow recruiting at all. He?s even said as much on his show. Oftentimes (if not most of the time) his ?sources? are media relations folks at schools...that kinda statement, 100%, comes directly from the om media relations department.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-10-2020, 02:06 PM
He just knows the Network will be back in full force before we know it. Lane will let them play their game but instead of swimming in it like Freeze did, he'll keep his distance and jump ship if the NCAA comes lurking again. I just hope we've got our eyes and ears wide open and put it out in the open like we did last time.

Dawgology
03-10-2020, 02:18 PM
He just knows the Network will be back in full force before we know it. Lane will let them play their game but instead of swimming in it like Freeze did, he'll keep his distance and jump ship if the NCAA comes lurking again. I just hope we've got our eyes and ears wide open and put it out in the open like we did last time.

I can guarantee you that Leach will not stay silent about it.

Cowbell
03-10-2020, 02:45 PM
QB is something that I trust Leach on more than anything. He already has 1 MS QB he wanted in Rodgers. So if he felt like the in-state guys weren't a fit, and we end up landing Robertson instead I understand it (and that's the way it looks right now).
With DL weaker this year we have to look elsewhere, and OL was something that we bashed others about not going OOS on when there were holes. So, we can't have it both ways. I think Leach is going to recruit just fine in MS, but isn't going to not look OOS when there is the need.

This just came out yesterday (I follow VSU since my youngest is there) and I think is Leach taking advantage of connections in areas that have similar players to MS to fill holes. South GA can be a gold mine

https://twitter.com/CoachGGoff/status/1237063376997621762?s=20

Most people forget that he and Mumme built their offense at VSU into an instant success when everyone thought that it couldn't be done in this part of the country.

viverlibre
03-10-2020, 05:04 PM
UM has always been far ahead of us on manipulating the media. They craft the image of being a "party school," "best tailgating in college football" and "redshirting Ms. Amerias." Also, our most well-known media figure is rosebowl, he's a great guy but his image of tats and dreads on a white boy doesn't endear a lot people outside the MSU fanbase.

Additionally, a few years back UM invited F'baum to speak at graduation, that kind of stuff goes a long way.

Turfdawg67
03-10-2020, 05:14 PM

We may have put it out in the open, but it was UGA, Bama and Michigan that got the NCAA interested.

sanfordrjones
03-10-2020, 05:22 PM
UM has always been far ahead of us on manipulating the media. They craft the image of being a "party school," "best tailgating in college football" and "redshirting Ms. Amerias." Also, our most well-known media figure is rosebowl, he's a great guy but his image of tats and dreads on a white boy doesn't endear a lot people outside the MSU fanbase.

Our most well known media member is Brandon Walker, and whoever is #2 isn't close. Nobody outside of Mississippi knows who Rose Bowl is. Your point about UM being ahead of us in media manipulation is on point, though. It makes sense, too, given they're supposed to have a great communications department.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-10-2020, 07:03 PM
meh. I bet Leach don't give two shits. Even if they do get 70% and we get 30%, that's not a bad thing. The key to our success is not getting all of MS players. Our best bet is to attack Texas(which we are), Louisiana, Alabama and Florida. Most 3 star players in Texas would be 4 star players here.

viverlibre
03-10-2020, 08:10 PM
Our most well known media member is Brandon Walker, and whoever is #2 isn't close. Nobody outside of Mississippi knows who Rose Bowl is. Your point about UM being ahead of us in media manipulation is on point, though. It makes sense, too, given they're supposed to have a great communications department.

You're right, Brandon's rocketship to fame has been impressive. He promotes the brand as much as any alumn of any university. We are lucky to have him.

viverlibre
03-10-2020, 08:13 PM
I have not doubt that UM has had stories written about how great Oxford, the Grove, etc., is and gotten them published in magazines and websites (which are hungry for cheap, mindless content).

Ezsoil
03-10-2020, 09:27 PM
We need to start replacing the 25th kid in MS with the 30th or 40th kid from TX. The state of Texas had 51 4 stars this year, so why not go grab some of those kids instead of these lower rated 3 star in state projects?

Well in many cases those kids in Texas are overrated....I lived in Texas 40 years and have watched HS football and the word that comes to mind when I watch HS and to some extent College football in Texas is that the players are SOFT.. that's the reason Texas, Baylor, Texas A&M, TCU etc...just can't compete on the national stage.

Todd4State
03-11-2020, 12:16 AM
The thing about Mississippi is we have a lot of players that are underrated. I've never bought the line about a three star guy in Florida being equivalent to a four star guy in Mississippi. IMO I'd much rather take an in state three star guy who grew up watching MSU and playing here means something to them over a three star from Florida who wanted to play at UF or FSU.

If it were me I'd shoot for as many of the top 15 players I could in Mississippi and then try to find about 3-5 diamonds in the rough freak athletes from Mississippi and try to develop them. The JUCO system kind of complicates things for us as far as numbers because there is talent there as well. Fill out the rest with OOS players wherever the holes in the class are.

Anyway, I think we should mostly continue our current recruiting model by focusing on Mississippi since it has basically produced the best 10 year run in MSU modern football history and most of our best teams- 1980, 1998, 1999, 2010, 2014 were all built with mostly Mississippi players.

msbulldog
03-11-2020, 06:29 AM
What shocks me is that Finebaum has been praising Leach for years and then as soon as he goes to State it suddenly like he sucks. And how does this Lane can recruit narrative keep following him everywhere. Can people not see it was O doing all the recruiting for him?

Dik with ears has always hated MSU, I'm talking back to his radio only days, he was way worse then.

MSUdawg67
03-11-2020, 08:13 AM
Paul “Howard Stern” Finebaum just stirs the pot to help his ratings. He is not a knowledgable sports authority. He is a cheap shock jock. Always has been and always will be. He is an embarrassment to the SEC Network but I guess he has sufficient ratings (thanks to Alabama fans) so they keep him on board. I have friends from many other SEC programs and none of them watch him. It will be interesting to see how Leach handles him in interviews. Leach seems to have very little patience with the type of pseudo-sports journalist that Finebaum represents.

TrapGame
03-11-2020, 09:05 AM
Finebaum is no recruiting expert by any stretch. He's going off Kiffen's joke of a resume and the assumption he can out recruit ML. That analysis is about as deep as an empty tea cup.

Bothrops
03-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Leach and company are gonna have to jump on the recruiting train big time to keep us in the game when it comes to getting elite MS kids. I think it's very critical that we go all in on defensive players, especially. Defense will determine whether or not Leach is successful in the SEC west.

Paul Finebalm is an MSU hating dickhead, but he could coincidentally have a point here. It all remains to be seen.

Ari Gold
03-11-2020, 12:13 PM
I’m glad to get Paul reports on here ... since I never watch that POS and joke of a show... it’s an embarrassment to the sec they give that clown as much stroke as he has...

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2020, 12:31 PM
Leach and company are gonna have to jump on the recruiting train big time to keep us in the game when it comes to getting elite MS kids. I think it's very critical that we go all in on defensive players, especially. Defense will determine whether or not Leach is successful in the SEC west.

Paul Finebalm is an MSU hating dickhead, but he could coincidentally have a point here. It all remains to be seen.

Leach has also never been at a school that could sell their tradition of putting not only guys in the NFL but has a collection of Pro Bowlers like MSU has currently. MSU can sell Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox, Darius Slay, B-Mac, plus our trio of 1st rd guys last year. Those are major selling points.

maroonmania
03-11-2020, 09:16 PM
Y?all give Finebaum waaayyy too much credit. He doesn?t follow recruiting at all. He?s even said as much on his show. Oftentimes (if not most of the time) his ?sources? are media relations folks at schools...that kinda statement, 100%, comes directly from the om media relations department.

I'm not giving F'baum any credit but I do think he represents an opinion that a lot of casual sports fans would have. He has only surface knowledge of most everything he speaks on but that's what the majority of sports fan have.

Todd4State
03-12-2020, 01:37 AM
I'm not giving F'baum any credit but I do think he represents an opinion that a lot of casual sports fans would have. He has only surface knowledge of most everything he speaks on but that's what the majority of sports fan have.

Of course the "casual" sports fan is why ESPN is still alive. They put people on TV that say things that are so outrageously stupid that even the idiot who works the night shift at Taco Bell knows it's wrong and it makes them feel "knowledgeable" about sports.

The good news for us is those "casual sports fan" people are typically wrong about us. Including the ESPN mouthpieces.

Todd4State
03-12-2020, 01:44 AM
Leach has also never been at a school that could sell their tradition of putting not only guys in the NFL but has a collection of Pro Bowlers like MSU has currently. MSU can sell Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox, Darius Slay, B-Mac, plus our trio of 1st rd guys last year. Those are major selling points.

Well, I'll say this. Leach has never been anywhere that he could IMO attract his equal or close to it on the defensive side of the ball other than maybe Alex Grinch.

We just took a guy that had the #2 scoring defense at San Diego State (missed number one by 0.1 of a point) and the #5 total defense in the country and we obviously made Syracuse pretty upset when we poached him from them. I know there is a lot of excitement over Leach and rightfully so. But getting Arnett for me just adds to the excitement. And I think it's been sort of overlooked by our fans simply because Leach is the head coach, the S&C woes were so bad that there has been a ton of excitement over Brown and they work that they are doing, and the fact that we have been pretty solid on defense very recently so if we're good again on defense this year it won't be as "new" to our fans.

Anyway, I don't think Leach could have pulled Arnett to Washington State.