PDA

View Full Version : 3-9-2020 Bubble Watch

confucius say
03-09-2020, 12:25 PM
I think we are in better shape than lunardi gives us credit for right now. He has us as fifth team out. Jerry Palm has us third team out. I think a win over fla puts us in.

I think our resume is better than some of the teams around us, and our NET, which is 50, is for sure better. Lunardi has the following teams, whose net is listed, in the field
Ar st (52)
UCLA (76)
Indiana (60)
Texas (69)
Nc state (54)

And he has Memphis (58) in first four out ahead of us.

smootness
03-09-2020, 12:27 PM
Don't take any of this as gospel. They're all guessing. They have plenty of experience, but they always miss a couple.

Having said that, I would guess we'll need to win the SECT to get in.

confucius say
03-09-2020, 12:40 PM
Don't take any of this as gospel. They're all guessing. They have plenty of experience, but they always miss a couple.

Maybe. I think beating ky and fla for sure gets us in though. The committee was much higher on us last year than the lunardi people. We were projected as a 6 or 7 and were a 5. I know it is year to year, but I think howlands name helps

BrunswickDawg
03-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Kermit Agrees with you https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ole-miss-hc-miss-st-is-a-tournament-team-sec-gets-no-respect/

Santiago
03-09-2020, 12:51 PM
Indiana on the bubble..... that will hurt the feelings of Ben Portnoy for the Dispatch if we get in ahead of his team. He seems to tweet as much about Indiana basketball as he does the University nearby Columbus. I get it...he graduated from there and he is in his early 20's and living life (paraphrasing as he says it).

chef dixon
03-09-2020, 01:11 PM
Maybe. I think beating ky and fla for sure gets us in though. The committee was much higher on us last year than the lunardi people. We were projected as a 6 or 7 and were a 5. I know it is year to year, but I think howlands name helps

If we beat Florida and Kentucky we will definitely be in assuming there is not extreme chaos with bid stealers. If we just win one, I don't like our chances. I think the chances of some upsets happening that give us a path to win the whole thing are better than us beating UF and UK on back to back nights though.

maroonmania
03-09-2020, 09:16 PM

We have a good chance of beating FL. If that's all we need to get in then our odds are pretty decent. But the odds of us beating KY are very low. KY is WAY better now than they were when we played them last and I just don't see us even being that competitive with them right now. So if we need to win both then we probably need to start checking our NIT seeding.

Quaoarsking
03-09-2020, 09:47 PM
East Tennessee State won the SOCON tournament earlier tonight, which is a good thing, since ETSU was a likely at-large bid had they lost, shrinking the bubble by 1.

Gonzaga and San Francisco playing in the WCC Tournament right now. Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and BYU are all locks for the WCC, but we don't need SF to get a 4th bid out of it. Hopefully the Zags pull it out.

I'm fairly certain we can't get in without at least beating Florida and Kentucky, and probably can't get in without winning the whole SECT. But just in case I'm keeping up with these games.

Coach34
03-09-2020, 10:01 PM
I think State/Florida is a play-in game. There is no way Florida gets in over us if we go 2-0 vs them.

Quaoarsking
03-09-2020, 10:07 PM
I think State/Florida is a play-in game. There is no way Florida gets in over us if we go 2-0 vs them.

Florida's not even close to being a bubble team. Net of 28, 5 Q1 wins. Almost everyone on Bracket Matrix has them in the 8-10 seed range. Losing to us (or losing on Thursday) isn't going to drop them out.

vv83
03-10-2020, 12:47 AM
BYU just lost that’s possibly one bubble spot down if Gonzaga loses

chef dixon
03-10-2020, 10:33 AM
BYU just lost that’s possibly one bubble spot down if Gonzaga loses

St. Marys is considered a lock

msudawg1200
03-10-2020, 11:09 AM
BYU and Saint Mary's are in regardless

smootness
03-10-2020, 12:00 PM

Once it gets close to the Tourney, these individual games seem to take on more importance than they really have. The committee is almost certainly not looking at it this way, and there is absolutely a way Florida gets in over us even if we're 2-0 against them. It is likely that if we and UF both went 1-1 in the SECT (with their loss obviously to us), they would get in and we wouldn't.

msstate7
03-10-2020, 12:04 PM
Still #50 in NET

confucius say
03-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Reggie being player of year helps. So does howlands name. Beat fla and we in.