PDA

View Full Version : Women?s Championship Game

Pinto
03-08-2020, 01:12 PM
Why isn?t Matharu in to bust up this zone?

parabrave
03-08-2020, 01:13 PM
Dam they need to settle down.

dantheman4248
03-08-2020, 01:13 PM
Because we have our strategy in the 1st quarter and if it doesn't work then we'll adjust. But Vic is not mixing it up to start game. Gonna wait to adjust.

Just one of his things.

RocketDawg
03-08-2020, 01:14 PM
Not shooting well so far.

dantheman4248
03-08-2020, 01:17 PM
Takes a double digit deficit to finally make an adjustment.

LC Dawg
03-08-2020, 01:18 PM
Seems like SC's physical play has us a little intimidated. We need to take it in strong and force the officials to call fouls on them.

dantheman4248
03-08-2020, 01:19 PM
I really hate SCar and i'm glad Rickea shares that contempt.

ZedFedder
03-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Didn’t it come down to State and SC for Rickea Jackson?

shoeless joe
03-08-2020, 01:33 PM
Staley definitely has a certain “type” of player that she recruits

dantheman4248
03-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Not having a decent outside shot makes their zone really effective. Not gonna get calls in SC even when their bigs don't stay vertical. Bad transition D.

Shocked the jacket is still on. Is this one of those let them figure it out games from Vic?

dantheman4248
03-08-2020, 01:39 PM
Staley definitely has a certain “type” of player that she recruits

Don't think it's a Staley thing so much as a SCar thing. Both of their teams complain every time they commit an obvious foul and are called for it.

RocketDawg
03-08-2020, 01:45 PM
"Kiki" is a bit of a smart butt. Along with Staley.

Probably going to get two Technicals here.

LC Dawg
03-08-2020, 01:45 PM
I love that from Morris. She's not intimidated. Need that from more of our players because SC relies on intimidation.

R2Dawg
03-08-2020, 01:56 PM
I love that from Morris. She's not intimidated. Need that from more of our players because SC relies on intimidation.

Carter Jackson Morris. All are playing pissed off. We need to start playing defense. All USC points are layups and on top of that we can't hit anything again.

Another thing, Boston fouls every single play and they will not call anything on her.

maroonmania
03-08-2020, 01:59 PM
Well, apparently certainties in life are death, taxes, and our women losing to SC in the SEC tourney title game. Not that I expected us to win today but why in the world is our WBB team seemingly NEVER ready to play in the 1st Q? Even games we eventually win by big margins we look totally unprepared and uninterested to play in the 1st Q.

jdelta02
03-08-2020, 02:00 PM
Coaching staff continuing to go with the slower starting....starting 5. This starting 5 has bit them in the tougher games throughout the season, helping give the better teams the the early leads and momentum. Hasn't been enough offense in this group....Coach Schaefer and his staff, have they not seen this? Basically, keeps rolling the same starting 5 out there to start games (with the exception of a few games). Keep getting similar results early in a good bit of the tougher games.... tendency to make adjustments after getting behind early, play from behind.

Percho
03-08-2020, 02:15 PM
RJ just watched that ball hit the floor then the SC girl went and got it and laied it in.

natchez87
03-08-2020, 02:16 PM
Takes a double digit deficit to finally make an adjustment.

Vic is a great coach overall but I'll never understand why he does this. This explains the terrible 1st quarter starts they've been having. He will stick to the same lineup even if they're getting blown out in the first 5 mins of the game. He has many players that have performed well throughout the season but instead he insists on giving unwavering playing time to players who have consistently underperformed. The players need to bring their A-game against big teams like South Carolina but so does the coaching staff.

shoeless joe
03-08-2020, 02:18 PM
Don't think it's a Staley thing so much as a SCar thing. Both of their teams complain every time they commit an obvious foul and are called for it.

I was talkin more about their appearance.

They are very good, big, physical players. We aren’t as big and strong as them so we are having to finesse. And they are makin is uncomfortable and we can’t hit shots.

natchez87
03-08-2020, 02:20 PM
"Kiki" is a bit of a smart butt. Along with Staley.

Probably going to get two Technicals here.

Staley is much more calm than Vic. She basically sits on the bench the whole game.

R2Dawg
03-08-2020, 02:26 PM
We have a few players that don't bring hardly anything on O end and teams just sag in paint. We must have balance on the floor. Today we have given no effort on D, rebounding.

West Tn Dawg
03-08-2020, 02:26 PM
Staley is much more calm than Vic. She basically sits on the bench the whole game.

Thats all she has to do! The helmet head will take care of whats happening on the floor!

DDawg
03-08-2020, 02:34 PM
to be honest I believe Vic is scared of Staley.

Percho
03-08-2020, 02:36 PM
Look, if Bibby had hit her early threes this would have been a different game. She had four wide open that would just not go down.

jdelta02
03-08-2020, 02:41 PM
Freshmen were a huge key to Miss. State being competitive the last time they played South Carolina. Without them ...Miss.State could have easily been blown out the last time they played South Carolina.

Bibby and M. Taylor have shown a tendency not to perform well against the better team's, though Myah Taylor has shown flashes in a few of the tougher games, and normally does her job at the point fairly well.

Miss. State is not a top level team absent of the frehmen playing, and performing exceptionally well. Also, the defense, appears, is currently not strong enough to makeup for the lack of offense in the lineup. Definitely much potential with the team though.

maroonmania
03-08-2020, 02:43 PM
Look, if Bibby had hit her early threes this would have been a different game. She had four wide open that would just not go down.

Bibby hasn't been hitting 3s all year so no real reason to guard her that closely out there. Only player we have that can actually beat you shooting 3s is Matharu.

natchez87
03-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Why hasn't Espinoza-Hunter been in the game? She is as good a 3-point shooter as we have and she has been playing better lately. We needed 3s a LONG time ago in this game. I just don't understand.

maroonmania
03-08-2020, 02:45 PM
to be honest I believe Vic is scared of Staley.

Probably for good reason. SC is the only league team he has to play that has significantly more talent than we do.

R2Dawg
03-08-2020, 02:53 PM
Lots of things we haven't done well - right players on floor included. We should have played zone to start game or mixed it up. That is why we hung with them in first game.

LC Dawg
03-08-2020, 03:05 PM
Not playing well against #1 leads to an ass whipping. Not much you can do but try to learn from it and get ready for the NCAA tournament.

jdelta02
03-08-2020, 03:15 PM
South Carolina 76
Miss. State 62

Aliyah Matharu 17 pts, 4 rbs (18 minutes)

Miss. State can beat this team (even this year), especially when they get Sidney Cooks and Madison Hayes available to help. Yemiyah Morris keeps improving.

natchez87
03-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Embarrassing effort that was put on the floor today. It looked like we just found out we had a game this morning. Hopefully we can make some changes before the NCAA tournament. Looking forward to next year. And hopefully they can start having the SEC tournament in a truly neutral location instead of in SC's backyard.

natchez87
03-08-2020, 03:28 PM
Coaching staff continuing to go with the slower starting....starting 5. This starting 5 has bit them in the tougher games throughout the season, helping give the better teams the the early leads and momentum. Hasn't been enough offense in this group....Coach Schaefer and his staff, have they not seen this? Basically, keeps rolling the same starting 5 out there to start games (with the exception of a few games). Keep getting similar relults early in a good bit of the tougher games.... tendency to make adjustments after getting behind early, play from behind.

Just seeing this but couldn't agree more.

dawgday166
03-08-2020, 04:00 PM
We got some gals (Bibby in particular) carrying too much weight. Need her an Morris to lose some flab next year.
They moving too slow.

jdelta02
03-08-2020, 04:17 PM
Also, Yemiyah Morris off the bench with.....
6 pts
7 rbs
3 blks
(21 minutes)

10 blocks over 3 games in the SEC Tourney. My opinion, she's coming along well. Keep getting physically stronger, keep working with Coach Johnnie Harris. Put in the extra time as well.

RocketDawg
03-08-2020, 05:07 PM
Embarrassing effort that was put on the floor today. It looked like we just found out we had a game this morning. Hopefully we can make some changes before the NCAA tournament. Looking forward to next year. And hopefully they can start having the SEC tournament in a truly neutral location instead of in SC's backyard.

Anybody know how long it'll be in Greenville? Maybe the women's tournament should be played in Nashville too.

Pinto
03-08-2020, 06:04 PM
My thing is why not reward the 5 that sealed the game last night by starting them today. They obviously had the hot hand and chemistry. Plus it sends a message to the team that if you produce when it counts, then you play.

maroonmania
03-08-2020, 06:10 PM
Anybody know how long it'll be in Greenville? Maybe the women's tournament should be played in Nashville too.

I know its Greenville again next year and then i think its Nashville the year after. I'm sure its a bid thing but you would think they would try to centralize the tourney a bit more. Greenville is a LONG haul from places like College Station TX, Columbia MO and Fayetteville AR. Next year will be 3 years in a row there.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-08-2020, 06:37 PM
Morris needs to work on agility and footwork.

Bibby needs to lose some weight. She's not fat, just too thick. I think it would help her quickness on the perimeter.

Myah Taylor has got to shoot a gazillion jumpers this offseason. She's certainly a good point guard and can defend. But her lack of outside shooting really hurts.

Jessica Carter needs to work on her ball handling this offseason and her face-up game. She might play the 4 next year.

RocketDawg
03-08-2020, 07:41 PM
Morris needs to work on agility and footwork.

Bibby needs to lose some weight. She's not fat, just too thick. I think it would help her quickness on the perimeter.

Myah Taylor has got to shoot a gazillion jumpers this offseason. She's certainly a good point guard and can defend. But her lack of outside shooting really hurts.

Jessica Carter needs to work on her ball handling this offseason and her face-up game. She might play the 4 next year.

If I recall correctly, Bibby started last year after having lost quite a bit of weight over the offseason - then got hurt. It's probably hard to keep the weight off if you're seriously injured, especially if you're genetically prone to weight gain. She just hasn't been the same since the injury, and that's really understandable. I think AE-Hunter may have put on a pound or two also.

R2Dawg
03-08-2020, 08:38 PM
If I recall correctly, Bibby started last year after having lost quite a bit of weight over the offseason - then got hurt. It's probably hard to keep the weight off if you're seriously injured, especially if you're genetically prone to weight gain. She just hasn't been the same since the injury, and that's really understandable. I think AE-Hunter may have put on a pound or two also.

Agree. Changing players/teams, you want to talk about a player putting on weight and going backwards - Arkansas's Chelsea Dungee has put on some weight. She looks slow and not good this year. She was a really good last year.

R2Dawg
03-08-2020, 08:40 PM

Agree too. I really don't think having it many years in a row in a teams home area is worth a lick. I know it has to be somewhere but my goodness, rotate around so everyone gets a fair shake.