confucius say
03-05-2020, 11:45 AM
Supposedly. I'm anticipating CM to Friday

Jack Lambert
03-05-2020, 12:14 PM
What is CM?

Maverick
03-05-2020, 12:19 PM
Think he means Christian MacLeod. However, I suspect the rotation will stay the same....

RiverCityDawg
03-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Think he means Christian MacLeod. However, I suspect the rotation will stay the same....

Nope. MacLeod, Bednar, Cerantola. At least we can move on.

TNDawg35
03-05-2020, 12:39 PM
This would be a great wknd to get Bednar into it. I like that move...

ShotgunDawg
03-05-2020, 12:41 PM
Ginn out for the season with TJ.

- Good for Ginn. Glad he made the right decision. Now he can rebound next year & reach his ceiling in a weaker draft class.

- We have had an inordinate amount of these over the past 5 years compared to other programs. I don't blame anyone but bad luck. At some point it will even out for us & other teams will have this bug while we are healthy.

KOdawg1
03-05-2020, 12:46 PM
Allen has surgery as well, but he's expected back at some point. That's good news

ZedFedder
03-05-2020, 12:50 PM
So what is the outlook on Ginn? Was it TJ? Do we expect him to be able to pitch again next season?

ShotgunDawg
03-05-2020, 12:52 PM
So what is the outlook on Ginn? Was it TJ? Do we expect him to be able to pitch again next season?

I've heard it may not have been a traditional TJ, but in the end, they needed to go in there & fix whatever the issue was.

I'd fully expect JT to be back next year. He needs to pitch to regain draft stock, & TJ isnt' that big of a deal anymore to Major League teams. There is a high recovery rate & it's not a huge concern.

JT should be full speed ahead next year & it's a worse draft than this year, which offers him a real chance at being a 1st round pick.

Maverick
03-05-2020, 12:54 PM
Nope. MacLeod, Bednar, Cerantola. At least we can move on.

I stand corrected haha. That is interesting as much as it seems we've heard Bednar isnt ready. I will be at that game so I'll be interested to see how he does.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2020, 01:05 PM
I've heard it may not have been a traditional TJ, but in the end, they needed to go in there & fix whatever the issue was.

I'd fully expect JT to be back next year. He needs to pitch to regain draft stock, & TJ isnt' that big of a deal anymore to Major League teams. There is a high recovery rate & it's not a huge concern.

JT should be full speed ahead next year & it's a worse draft than this year, which offers him a real chance at being a 1st round pick.

There were some other issues besides ligament damage to correct. In fact those other issues may have caused the ligament problem due to him trying to pitch through it with extra stress on the elbow. Praying he'll make a full recovery. I know for sure he'll put the work in to get back out there!

Homedawg
03-05-2020, 01:43 PM
As I said weeks back with jt. He'll bounce back.

confucius say
03-05-2020, 02:01 PM

What's your guess on timetable?

BeardoMSU
03-05-2020, 02:09 PM

Do we expect him back at State next year?

Maverick
03-05-2020, 02:20 PM
There were some other issues besides ligament damage to correct. In fact those other issues may have caused the ligament problem due to him trying to pitch through it with extra stress on the elbow. Praying he'll make a full recovery. I know for sure he'll put the work in to get back out there!

Was waiting to see what you and Homedawg said since you appear to know the family.

So you mean to tell me he's a guy that will fight through pain and he's not weak as others have said?**** :rolleyes:

Coach34
03-05-2020, 03:01 PM
Do we expect him back at State next year?

Where would he go?

Maverick
03-05-2020, 03:19 PM
Where would he go?

Not saying I do but some people are speculating he could still enter the draft and still go first round and that's coming from a baseball america article.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-mlb-draft-mississippi-state-rhp-jt-ginn-undergoes-elbow-surgery/

ShotgunDawg
03-05-2020, 03:21 PM
Where would he go?

There's some talk that he could still be a top 50 pick, but I don't believe that.

It's a really strong college pitching draft and that will hurt Ginn. Unless he just hates school, it easily makes sense for him to come back and go in the top of the 1st round.

ShotgunDawg
03-05-2020, 03:23 PM
Not saying I do but some people are speculating he could still enter the draft and still go first round and that's coming from a baseball america article.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-mlb-draft-mississippi-state-rhp-jt-ginn-undergoes-elbow-surgery/

Baseball America doesn't know 17 right now. They're just pushing Boras' agenda since he gives to keep the publication going.

Maverick
03-05-2020, 03:29 PM
I guess he could go and I certainly wouldn't fault him for doing that and avoiding the risk. I don't even know him or the family at all but I would think just with the way my mentality would be, assuming he thinks like me and he definitely may not, he may believe he has something to prove.

Also, if his instagram is any indication of that I would assume he plans on coming back stronger. A picture of himself in a State uni on the bump with a caption of, "Just wait on it", tells me all I need to know.

Maverick
03-05-2020, 03:33 PM
Baseball America doesn't know 17 right now. They're just pushing Boras' agenda since he gives to keep the publication going.

Maybe true and I hope he comes back. I'm not sure if you read the article or even have to but I guess I was just making the point that it's not just random talk between fans on twitter. Coach asked who so I just reference the article.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2020, 04:09 PM
Was waiting to see what you and Homedawg said since you appear to know the family.

So you mean to tell me he's a guy that will fight through pain and he's not weak as others have said?**** :rolleyes:

JT has been battling for almost a year trying to get back out there and exacerbated the problem by trying to fight through it. Kids a competitor. He could've took the money and went mlb but wanted to play at State, even though he was advised to take the money and run.

confucius say
03-05-2020, 04:09 PM
He's prob relieved just to have some closure on what the real issue was and getting it fixed. He's been in limbo for a year now knowing smn was not right. Getting past that hurdle is huge in and of itself.

Just hope the family is ok

TNDawg35
03-05-2020, 04:23 PM
I?m not sure what next yr really looks like as far as pitching, but Rocker is slated to be the #1 pick in 2021. I don?t see any reason why Ginn couldn?t come back next yr and move to top 10 picks.

Hell If Mac keeps pitching like has, we could have two first rounders in 2021 if Ginn stays...

TNDawg35
03-05-2020, 04:30 PM
I also didn?t realize this, but they said Bednar was our highest rated prospect last yr when we had the #6 class... Dude is legit I believe... I believe Simms could be also in the starting roll..

Coach34
03-05-2020, 05:08 PM
Any GM drafting him in the Top 50 based on his history should be fired immediately.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2020, 06:05 PM
Any GM drafting him in the Top 50 based on his history should be fired immediately.

Yeah he needs to comeback and prove he's healthy and hasn't lost anything .

Todd4State
03-05-2020, 06:44 PM
Hopefully this turns out like Ethan Small for him.

basedog
03-05-2020, 07:14 PM
Good news and bad news for JT. Good is he hasn't thrown many innings/pitches over the last two years. Bad news, you never know how his arm/elbow/shoulder will respond. People respond differently from surgery. I'm hoping like all of us he is back next year but if it takes longer I'm all for whatever it takes for his recovery. I'm sure his parents feel the same about patience.

hp22
03-05-2020, 07:45 PM
I hope JT pursues the path that is best for his future. He has a million dollar arm when healthy. You can watch him pitch and notice how competitive he is. He is a gamer. With him having a RS year also available, he can really play the leverage game for two years. That said, I hope it works out for him in his best interest.

The idea of a 2021 Macleod, Ginn, Smith, Cerantola, Bednar, Sims staff sounds fun though.

As a baseball team, we need to keep our heads above water and hope TA can return. Losing TA is a massive loss. Some young guys gone have to step up before they expected they would have to.

Todd4State
03-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Good news and bad news for JT. Good is he hasn't thrown many innings/pitches over the last two years. Bad news, you never know how his arm/elbow/shoulder will respond. People respond differently from surgery. I'm hoping like all of us he is back next year but if it takes longer I'm all for whatever it takes for his recovery. I'm sure his parents feel the same about patience.

You're right about recovering from surgery but competitive athletes have a couple of advantages.

1. Their age and the fact they are in great shape.

2. The fact that they know how to work hard.

3. They will get top of the line therapy with the latest techniques.

All of those things are in his favor.

basedog
03-05-2020, 08:31 PM
You're right about recovering from surgery but competitive athletes have a couple of advantages.

1. Their age and the fact they are in great shape.

2. The fact that they know how to work hard.

3. They will get top of the line therapy with the latest techniques.

All of those things are in his favor.

Yes, from what I've heard bout him he is smart and a hard worker. I wish him well, I wonder how long his arm issue has been going on?

Todd4State
03-05-2020, 08:48 PM
Yes, from what I've heard bout him he is smart and a hard worker. I wish him well, I wonder how long his arm issue has been going on?

My educated guess is probably since the second half of the SEC schedule last year. Maybe earlier. At least that to me is when some things that are noticeable started like loss of command followed by decreased velocity.

Steakonastick
03-05-2020, 09:46 PM
To keep it simple: he had a major nerve moved in his elbow.

He?s a great kid and he wants to be here. That?s the the reason he came to state In the first place. He really enjoys it here and is having a blast.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2020, 10:15 PM

He?s a great kid and he wants to be here. That?s the the reason he came to state In the first place. He really enjoys it here and is having a blast.

This is 100% accurate

Bdawg
03-05-2020, 11:22 PM

Man that just seems odd. Hate it for him. I swear we seem snake bit. Anybody on here know if this is easily fixable or could there be long term problems with this. Really hate it for him but I guess he would be experiencing the same thing if he were in the minors right now. Just hoping for a full recovery for him and glad he's having a good experience at state barring the arm stuff. Go get'em JT and come back healthy!!!

confucius say
03-05-2020, 11:39 PM

What's the recovery time for that?

Todd4State
03-06-2020, 12:13 AM
Man that just seems odd. Hate it for him. I swear we seem snake bit. Anybody on here know if this is easily fixable or could there be long term problems with this. Really hate it for him but I guess he would be experiencing the same thing if he were in the minors right now. Just hoping for a full recovery for him and glad he's having a good experience at state barring the arm stuff. Go get'em JT and come back healthy!!!

Something like that is more of something where that's how God made you basically.

If it is a ulnar nerve transposition surgery which is kind of what it sounds like we're talking about here- which is not uncommon- (And full disclosure I have not heard that this is indeed what the procedure is so someone feel free to correct me here because I'm reading between the lines) typically people are in a cast for 2-4 weeks depending on the surgeon, the patient, and etc. After the cast/splint is removed people typically start therapy at that point and the typical recovery time is between 3-6 months.

What complicates this is JT is someone that uses his arm for sports- which IMO may cause his rehab to be a little bit on the longer side because pitching at a high level is a little different than a guy that is having a lot of numbness and irritation that's college age that just wants to be able to go to class and take notes on his computer.

IF this is the case and I'm reading the tea leaves correctly here I would say it's reasonable that he may be able to come back towards the end of the fall and be ready by next season barring complications and things like that.

AlSwearengen
03-06-2020, 10:55 AM
I’m going to take a guess and say that this is a better scenario than Tommy John which is what was assumed. If there is no ligament or tendon damage, his arm should be structurally sound.

I do remember hearing of these type procedures but I can’t name a pitcher that has had it done. I just hope for his sake he comes back and pitches pain free and serves notice to the SEC. We saw glimpses early last season with 2 pitches. Imagine that pitcher with 4 pitches.

ZedFedder
03-06-2020, 11:01 AM
It stinks for this year, but it sets up a potential NCAA best rotation next year assuming things go well. Ginn at his best is one of the best in the country. MacLeod has already proven he is very good. Cerantola as a junior could be just as good as those two given his command improves. Throw on top of that Brandon Smith who was really good last year, Bednar and Sims who are very talented in their own right, and a freshman or two like Cade Smith... that’s deadly.

Todd4State
03-06-2020, 11:33 AM
It stinks for this year, but it sets up a potential NCAA best rotation next year assuming things go well. Ginn at his best is one of the best in the country. MacLeod has already proven he is very good. Cerantola as a junior could be just as good as those two given his command improves. Throw on top of that Brandon Smith who was really good last year, Bednar and Sims who are very talented in their own right, and a freshman or two like Cade Smith... that’s deadly.

We're going to need that pitching with the offense we will lose too. Westburg, Foscue, and Allen will be gone. Hatcher and Rowdey probably go too.

ShotgunDawg
03-06-2020, 11:35 AM
We're going to need that pitching with the offense we will lose too. Westburg, Foscue, and Allen will be gone. Hatcher and Rowdey probably go too.

You win with pitching in college baseball, not hitting.

TCU consistently has one of the worst lineups in power 5 & still finds a way to Omaha most years.

Stack up on pitchers & then manufacture runs. That's the key

BrunswickDawg
03-06-2020, 11:57 AM
I?m going to take a guess and say that this is a better scenario than Tommy John which is what was assumed. If there is no ligament or tendon damage, his arm should be structurally sound.

I do remember hearing of these type procedures but I can?t name a pitcher that has had it done. I just hope for his sake he comes back and pitches pain free and serves notice to the SEC. We saw glimpses early last season with 2 pitches. Imagine that pitcher with 4 pitches.

Jacob deGrom with the Mets had it in September 2016 and was ready for Spring Training. Placed 8th in the Cy Young votes in '17 going 15-10 with a 3.53 ERA, 239 ks and a 1.87 WHIP. Then he won the CY in '18 & '19

So, that makes me feel good about next year - if its just the nerve.

Commercecomet24
03-06-2020, 12:36 PM
He should be able to start activities again in the fall and should be ready by next season.

dawgs
03-06-2020, 12:46 PM

IF he's still getting 1st round or top 50 grades from MLB franchises and is guaranteed to go that early, might be best to just do it and get the payday and recovery with a MLB medical staff. I don't think he'll get that grade come June, but if he is, wouldn't blame him at all. If he pitches next year, he could easily struggle with velocity and/or command, neither of which is uncommon for guys fresh off TJ surgery and hurt his 2021 draft stock, leaving him deciding between a shittier draft slot or returning for 2022 to prove he's back.

EDIT: sounds like not TJ, but if he was still getting top 50 guarantees and not being extremely low-balled with slot money, he's gotta take it I would think.

Todd4State
03-06-2020, 02:08 PM
You win with pitching in college baseball, not hitting.

TCU consistently has one of the worst lineups in power 5 & still finds a way to Omaha most years.

Stack up on pitchers & then manufacture runs. That's the key

That's true for baseball in general. But I prefer us to be a complete team or as close as possible.

basedog
03-06-2020, 02:39 PM
It stinks for this year, but it sets up a potential NCAA best rotation next year assuming things go well. Ginn at his best is one of the best in the country. MacLeod has already proven he is very good. Cerantola as a junior could be just as good as those two given his command improves. Throw on top of that Brandon Smith who was really good last year, Bednar and Sims who are very talented in their own right, and a freshman or two like Cade Smith... that?s deadly.

Cade Smith is having a hell of a year! Strike thrower with 3 pitches on any count, doesn't walk many plus I'm not sure I have seen a pitcher work as quickly as Cade. Throws the pitch and is wanting the ball back asap! Doesn't fool around and will challenge batters, doesn't seem to get rattled or at least doesn't show it. He has been lights outs, touches 94 but is consistent 90-92. We shall see how all this works out, next level is always tougher.
Just saying, I'm trying to stay in my lane, much has been going on with him as for as attention if u catch my drift.