PDA

View Full Version : Storm chase

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2020, 05:44 PM
Over the last couple of so years I've gotten PM's asking if I ever took people storm chasing with me, and offered to chip in on gas, food, etc. From time to time I have, but never anything very consistently. However, as chasing has gotten to be a much more expensive proposition, I've been strongly considering taking people with me on a few basis to help defray costs. I'm not looking to get rich with this, but basically just come out even.

So if you're interested in riding along on a storm chase let me know. If you've sent me a PM in the past, shoot me another one as I cleaned out my inbox.

99jc
03-02-2020, 07:22 PM
I appreciate what you do but you would have to pay me to storm chase tornadoes at night in Mississippi.

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2020, 07:24 PM
I appreciate what you do but you would have to pay me to storm chase tornadoes at night in Mississippi.

Night is a whole new ballgame to be sure. Doing these would primarily be limited to daytime chases. Or at least start during the day.

Barking 13
03-03-2020, 04:34 AM
Do you chase in an MRAP? I’d only go in one of those... lol

Just be careful out there!

msudawg1200
03-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Yeah, think I'll pass. I've seen two tornadoes in my life and don't want to see another. I hate those darn things.

Dawgbite
03-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Would you be interested in meeting my ex wife?

parabrave
03-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Would you be interested in meeting my ex wife?

Just drop her off on the beach in Pass Christian next hurricane.

parabrave
03-04-2020, 03:06 AM
Hey Vegas if you're still up check out that cell near Yazoo City and another on near I think Philadelphia.

confucius say
03-04-2020, 03:59 AM
Hey Vegas if you're still up check out that cell near Yazoo City and another on near I think Philadelphia.

Whatever just cabs through gluckstadt was strong. No tornado, but hail and strong winds

Harrydawg
03-04-2020, 04:11 AM
Big wind, hail. No power in Gluckstadt

starkvegasdawg
03-04-2020, 04:40 AM

Just now seeing it near Decatur. Very dangerous storm. Got your PM but wouldn't let me respond. Your inbox was full.

confucius say
03-04-2020, 04:43 AM
Smell of pine will knock you down in gluckstadt

yjnkdawg
03-05-2020, 03:34 PM
Hey Vegas on the radar on my Radarscope Pro app yesterday there were an unusual amount of isolated cells showing as Meso strength with TVS False. A good many were not even in the intense thunderstorm activity. I have never seen that many before in a severe weather event. Could that be due to the disturbances moving through or maybe just a glitch ? I'm certainly no weather expert by any means. It was just weird though.

starkvegasdawg
03-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Hey Vegas on the radar on my Radarscope Pro app yesterday there were an unusual amount of isolated cells showing as Meso strength with TVS False. A good many were not even in the intense thunderstorm activity. I have never seen that many before in a severe weather event. Could that be due to the disturbances moving through or maybe just a glitch ? I'm certainly no weather expert by any means. It was just weird though.

It'll happen from time to time, especially with isolated cells in somewhat close proximity to each other. Each cell has its own wind field with the inflow and outflow and when you get storms close to each other then they'll hit and the radar interprets that as rotation. Just a limitation of the algorithm the software uses.

yjnkdawg
03-07-2020, 12:57 PM
It'll happen from time to time, especially with isolated cells in somewhat close proximity to each other. Each cell has its own wind field with the inflow and outflow and when you get storms close to each other then they'll hit and the radar interprets that as rotation. Just a limitation of the algorithm the software uses.

Thanks for the reply, and I really appreciate you keeping us informed and your assessment of potential or actual severe weather events.