PDA

View Full Version : Swing your Sword

Cowbell
03-01-2020, 10:14 PM
If you have not read it, make it next on your list. It will help you understand a lot about what goes on with Leach, our team, his play-calling, expectations, etc. It is a great read and will definitely get you excited for better days ahead.

Todd4State
03-01-2020, 10:57 PM
Why is it over 100 dollars in some places?

Dawgtini
03-02-2020, 03:56 AM
Supply and demand. Got mine the week after he was announced for about $13

Cowbell
03-02-2020, 07:36 AM
I just downloaded to my iPhone (kindle app) and it was cheap.

Patrick Tibbons
03-02-2020, 07:42 AM
Paperback is $14 on Amazon.
Hardcover is a little over $30.

Not sure where you are seeing it for $100.

MaroonFlounder
03-02-2020, 08:21 AM
The one I want just based on the title is "Squib Kick It To A Fat Guy". I think it is a collection of Leach quotes.

yjnkdawg
03-02-2020, 11:30 AM
Paperback is $14 on Amazon.
Hardcover is a little over $30.

Not sure where you are seeing it for $100.

When it was not available in the normal retail markets, some on Amazon, etc. put the price way up there to try and make a big profit. I purchased mine from Campus Book Mart for $17.99. I had ordered from them back several weeks ago, along with two caps, and the book had been on back order until last Thursday when I was notified that it was available.

Hot Rock
03-02-2020, 03:28 PM
An Ole Miss buddy of mine loaned me his copy. He wanted them to hire him awhile back.

TXDawg
03-03-2020, 01:08 PM
I got a copy off of iBooks for about $13.

Jack Lambert
03-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Damn, P-5 head coach, Lawyer, and a Author what's next?

Hot Rock
03-03-2020, 02:39 PM

How about a Championship? That sounds like a plan to me.

was21
03-04-2020, 06:55 PM
Bought it on Amazon the day he was hired....for less than $5...will hold opinion until we see what throwing th ball about 75% of the time will do against SEC defenses

Cowbell
03-04-2020, 09:34 PM
Bought it on Amazon the day he was hired....for less than $5...will hold opinion until we see what throwing th ball about 75% of the time will do against SEC defenses

After reading the book, I am convinced it will work here. The guy made Kentucky relevant. It made me better understand his thought process with it. This will be the first time he ever failed as a coach of it doesn't work.

And if we can get a good QB that also has wheels, look out. The air raid is what sumlin ran with Manziel and people forget that.

bulldawg28
03-05-2020, 02:04 AM
After reading the book, I am convinced it will work here. The guy made Kentucky relevant. It made me better understand his thought process with it. This will be the first time he ever failed as a coach of it doesn't work.

And if we can get a good QB that also has wheels, look out. The air raid is what sumlin ran with Manziel and people forget that.

That same offense got Sumlin fired. Hopefully the two are different concepts.

RiverCityDawg
03-05-2020, 07:56 AM

Leach and Sumlin both run the air raid in the same way that Bill Walsh and Croom both ran the West Coast offense.

Also, the QB having wheels is only going to help if the QB doesn't throw the ball when he is supposed to, which means he probably won't be the QB for very long. There aren't going to be a bunch of designed QB runs in our offense under Leach ever. Again, very different from what Sumlin does.

Leroy Jenkins
03-05-2020, 08:15 AM

Marathons and khaki shorts?

dantheman4248
05-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Finally got around to reading this. Great read. An absolute must read if you are in the RTGDFB crowd or are a skeptic of Leach. I love how he preaches execution over trickery and his simplistic approach to the game. His offense when you break it down is a lot like the triple option but with extended handoffs (short throws). A lot of the same core principles apply (anyone can get the ball on any given play, read the defense, execute well.)

All any prospective WR recruit needs to do is read the passage about "6s" in the UT Austin game. Hopefully KJ is ready to go this year and I believe he will be. Leach has a good track record of bringing in the right type of a guy to run his system to a new place so I trust in his judgment in getting Costello.

Hype machine is starting to churn.

Pinto
05-25-2020, 07:45 PM
Campus Book Mart had both of his books last week.

HoopsDawg
05-25-2020, 08:09 PM
Not a fan of any offense that's one dimensional. I'm glad we hired Leach for the entertainment though.

confucius say
05-25-2020, 08:25 PM

Not sure it was the offense that got sumlin fired as much as the lack of defense, lack of physicalness, and lack of accountability throughout the program.

dawgday166
05-25-2020, 08:38 PM
Finally got around to reading this. Great read. An absolute must read if you are in the RTGDFB crowd or are a skeptic of Leach. I love how he preaches execution over trickery and his simplistic approach to the game. His offense when you break it down is a lot like the triple option but with extended handoffs (short throws). A lot of the same core principles apply (anyone can get the ball on any given play, read the defense, execute well.)

All any prospective WR recruit needs to do is read the passage about "6s" in the UT Austin game. Hopefully KJ is ready to go this year and I believe he will be. Leach has a good track record of bringing in the right type of a guy to run his system to a new place so I trust in his judgment in getting Costello.

Hype machine is starting to churn.

So ... 11-1??

Cowbell
05-25-2020, 09:46 PM
Not a fan of any offense that's one dimensional. I'm glad we hired Leach for the entertainment though.

This opinion is why you need to read the book - it changed my tune..

HoopsDawg
05-25-2020, 10:16 PM
This opinion is why you need to read the book - it changed my tune..

Going to be hard to forget Washington State blowing that 32 point lead last year bc Leach can't grind out the clock.

msbulldog
05-26-2020, 06:16 AM

Drinking, fake racist letters, running off good QB's and an impatient fan base got him fired.

KentuckyDawg13
05-26-2020, 07:14 AM
I'll sell you mine for $99.99. *

Quaoarsking
05-26-2020, 07:28 AM
Going to be hard to forget Washington State blowing that 32 point lead last year bc Leach can't grind out the clock.

There's a pretty big difference in "can't grind clock" and "didn't 100% execute at grinding clock during one fluky game," especially when said loss included UCLA returning a late punt for a TD and WSU losing two fumbles in the last 3 minutes. Obviously the offense wasn't at fault in a game where they scored 63.

dantheman4248
05-26-2020, 11:02 PM

Going to be hard to forget Texas Tech coming back down 31 with 20 minutes to go against Minnesota. Going to be hard to forget Texas Tech beating Texas by running four verts all drive.

Hard to blame the offense when they score 9 touchdowns. Think that rides on the DC and is a big part of why Leach nabbed a new guy to ride with him. Don't be discouraged on him completely if we blow a lead like that this year. Defense is the big question mark coming into the season.

HoopsDawg
05-27-2020, 11:53 AM
Going to be hard to forget Texas Tech coming back down 31 with 20 minutes to go against Minnesota. Going to be hard to forget Texas Tech beating Texas by running four verts all drive.

Hard to blame the offense when they score 9 touchdowns. Think that rides on the DC and is a big part of why Leach nabbed a new guy to ride with him. Don't be discouraged on him completely if we blow a lead like that this year. Defense is the big question mark coming into the season.

I love the offense. I just wish it was versatile enough to change gears.

dantheman4248
05-27-2020, 05:36 PM
I love the offense. I just wish it was versatile enough to change gears.

Let's take a look at the second half drives for wazzu that game, shall we?

35-17 12:45 left 3rd Q. 4 straight runs to start the drive. 2 short passes. Then 15 yd completion. 35 yd TD pass. 4:08 for 8 play TD drive (32 seconds a play).

42-17 6:52 left 3rd Q. 1 play 6 yds TD. 4 second drive.

49-24 3:40 left 3rd Q. 1 play 12 yd complete pass fumbled and turned over. Nothing the offense could do by slowing down.

49-31 3:33 left 3rd Q. 2 completed passes. 1 incomplete pass. 1 run. 1 incomplete pass. Punt. Could have ran it on either first down, I guess, but 18 point game with a QB that has 7 TDs... you let him do him.

49-38 1:20 left 3rd Q. 1 run. 1 completed pass and fumbled.

You have maybe one drive you can blame on his uptempo style. The rest of the comeback is just on bad defense and bad ballcarrying.

If you watch the full game you'd see a different picture than high tempo offense blows lead because it is throwing too much.

They lost four fumbles in the second half of that game on top of allowing a punt return TD and two 1 play TD drives.

Yea, the buck stops with Leach, but that game was fluky as hell and he has separated from the DC there.