PDA

View Full Version : This is Schaefer's best coaching performance at State...

Rick Cleveland
02-28-2020, 04:39 PM
...and that's saying something...

https://mississippitoday.org/2020/02/28/this-is-vic-schaefers-best-coaching-job-yet/

Todd4State
02-28-2020, 06:46 PM
Disagree. His best was when he beat UConn.

Captain Falcon
02-28-2020, 06:56 PM

That is obviously his best one game coaching job. For a season though I agree with Rick. This team is about to finish with the same conference record as that 2017 team that beat UConn. And that team was much older and far more experienced.

The amount of talent he has replaced three years in a row now with minimal drop off is unreal. And this team doesn?t have the veterans it can rely on like previous teams had. Not remotely as experienced, yet still going to finish second in the SEC and get close to 30 wins again.

R2Dawg
02-28-2020, 08:27 PM
Hard to compare. Vic took a bunch of lower rated project players and turned them into NC contenders - pretty tall order by anyone in any sport; beating UConn on the way.

This year was a different challenge he has never had - this much talent on the same team to deal with. Big challenge, still done a great job.

Most coaching courage I've ever seen by a HC is the year he benched the starting 5 or 4 of 5 in first two rounds of NCAAT due to effort. We won both big. Lot of guts to do that; don't know maybe any that would do that.

Cooterpoot
02-28-2020, 09:07 PM
Meh. He's doing what he's done every year. Maximizing the talent he's got.

R2Dawg
02-28-2020, 09:21 PM
Meh. He's doing what he's done every year. Maximizing the talent he's got.

Cooter, you must not be a basketball guy?

Cooterpoot
02-28-2020, 09:58 PM
Cooter, you must not be a basketball guy?

It's ok. Certainly not my favorite sport. But I haven't seen anything special this year. Vic is simply doing what he does every year. Win games. I've said all year we're a Sweet 16 team at best. I still believe that. Maybe we get a good draw and go Elite 8.

Liverpooldawg
02-28-2020, 10:13 PM

You are absolutely dead wrong, and Rick, as much as I hate it and his USM self, is right,

Liverpooldawg
02-28-2020, 10:15 PM
It's ok. Certainly not my favorite sport. But I haven't seen anything special this year. Vic is simply doing what he does every year. Win games. I've said all year we're a Sweet 16 team at best. I still believe that. Maybe we get a good draw and go Elite 8.

Athletic ignorance at it's ugly best.

Cooterpoot
02-28-2020, 11:21 PM
Athletic ignorance at it's ugly best.

Yeah, ok. It's a rebuilding year. Vic has us to a point where a sweet 16 is a rebuild. In another 4 years, it'll be final 4. UConn is falling off. SC is the only program that's out pacing us (maybe Baylor). Louisville isn't as good as they were but they're about like us. Oregon is done. ND is down.
But this year is a rebuild. And still a solid season. But this isn't as good as the runs at a championship and huge wins over top programs. We've played a weaker schedule and just about the only ranked teams we've beaten were missing their top players.
But still a sweet 16 team. Vic doesn't disappoint like Howland.

pilldawg
02-29-2020, 11:18 AM
National Championship caliber teams the next three years. We will win first National Championship in next 3 years.

Captain Falcon
02-29-2020, 11:44 AM
Their postseason fate will depend on the draw. There are certain 1 or 2 seeds we could beat but also 6 or 7 seeds who could beat us. Elite 8 or Final Four wouldn?t totally shock me, neither would losing in the second round at home.