PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone actually be mad if Mullen was fired?

HoopsDawg
11-02-2013, 08:06 PM
If so, why?

DownwardDawg
11-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Hail no

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 08:09 PM
yes. I told y'all at the beginning of the season this was going to happen. he was set up for failure. we've got bigger problems that should be handled first.

Tbonewannabe
11-02-2013, 08:09 PM
I would be mad if it happened and we didn't have some people lined up to interview. If we ended up with some RB coach from Green Bay that doesn't start the job till January. That hiring process was completely incompetent. I would hope we would have an idea who we could get.

Dannyripms
11-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Heck I'd probably have a heart attack. Because Scott ain't got the balls to do it. Scott is a candy ass yes man type of person. We need a ruthless person in charge that would cut his momma head off if it came between winning and losing

Tbonewannabe
11-02-2013, 08:10 PM
yes. I told y'all at the beginning of the season this was going to happen. he was set up for failure. we've got bigger problems that should be handled first.

Was this set up before or after the collapse last year? Just curious.

bluelightstar
11-02-2013, 08:12 PM

Fans would not be in such an uproar if we looked mildly competent in big games. No, it's a different damn problem with this team every week. We could deal with OK State and South Carolina instead of Vandy if the team didn't look like it had never seen a football in the second half of every damn game. Or at least I could. It's not that we're losing (but that has certainly gotten old), it's that we just look like a bad team.

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 08:14 PM
I don't know when it happened or why it happened. I have my theories. I just know that it did happen.

HoopsDawg
11-02-2013, 08:15 PM

We all know you have a vendetta against the administration and it may or may not be justified. Frankly, I don't care. I just would like to know what you are seeing from Mullen since the 2010 Gator Bowl that justifies he comes back for another year.

bluelightstar
11-02-2013, 08:16 PM
We all know you have a vendetta against the administration and it may or may not be justified. Frankly, I don't care. I just would like to know what you are seeing from Mullen since the 2010 Gator Bowl that justifies he comes back for another year.

+1

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2013, 08:21 PM
I would be upset, because I think he has done a good job and has us going in the right direction, even when it's hard to see.

I also think it would be a step back for the program because it would deter other coaches from ever wanting to come here because MSU is a very tough job and other coaches view what Mullen has done as a success. So why would they want to come here when winning 6-8 games per year isn't enough?

I think we could be on the verge of special things with Dak and our young players. Mullen recruited very poorly in his 2nd and 3rd recruiting classes, but since then has recruited much better; yes even this year is far better than the classes our juniors and seniors were apart of.

Therefore, I think this is a transition year with few older starters, and we should get exponentially better later this year and next year.

Just my opinion and I completely understand if you disagree.

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Fans would not be in such an uproar if we looked mildly competent in big games. No, it's a different damn problem with this team every week. We could deal with OK State and South Carolina instead of Vandy if the team didn't look like it had never seen a football in the second half of every damn game. Or at least I could. It's not that we're losing (but that has certainly gotten old), it's that we just look like a bad team.

A QB concussion causes us to play a QB that didn't go through the spring and didn't prepare to be our starter against a top 10 team on the road in week two. Lost a starting OL for the year. Playing an OT with back problems. Redmond suspended half the season. Perk isn't himself. Tubby can't return a punt. MJ is having a slump of a season. Nickoe never recovered from his injury. Our stud kicker in practice goes all deer in headlights for half the season.

I don't think it's preparation. I don't think it's play calling. I don't think it's effort. I don't think it's we're out of shape. I don't think it's mental. I think it's personnel issues... and that's not something Dan can fix overnight.

What I did see today was a new kicker, a good running game, a defense that didn't allow a 3 rd down conversion until the 4th quarter, Bell punt and kickoff well, RoJo show up in the passing game, JRob get more touches, Shump be used in short yardage situations. We finally used our personnel like we should and we still got skull drug because of turnovers. We protect the ball and we take the #14 team in the nation to the wire in their house.

HoopsDawg
11-02-2013, 08:24 PM
I would be upset, because I think he has done a good job and has us going in the right direction, even when it's hard to see.

I also think it would be a step back for the program because it would deter other coaches from ever wanting to come here because MSU is a very tough job and other coaches view what Mullen has done as a success. So why would they want to come here when winning 6-8 games per year isn't enough?

I think we could be on the verge of special things with Dak and our young players. Mullen recruited very poorly in his 2nd and 3rd recruiting classes, but since then has recruited much better; yes even this year is far better than the classes our juniors and seniors were apart of.

Therefore, I think this is a transition year with few older starters, and we should get exponentially better later this year and next year.

Just my opinion and I completely understand if you disagree.

I respect your opinion. At least you have some rationale for your support though I could shoot a million holes in it. My question was genuine b/c I really don't know anyone in my circle that wants to keep Mullen, but there appears to still be some support out there.

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2013, 08:25 PM
A QB concussion causes us to play a QB that didn't go through the spring and didn't prepare to be our starter against a top 10 team on the road in week two. Lost a starting OL for the year. Playing an OT with back problems. Redmond suspended half the season. Perk isn't himself. Tubby can't return a punt. MJ is having a slump of a season. Nickoe never recovered from his injury. Our stud kicker in practice goes all deer in headlights for half the season.

I don't think it's preparation. I don't think it's play calling. I don't think it's effort. I don't think it's we're out of shape. I don't think it's mental. I think it's personnel issues... and that's not something Dan can fix overnight.

What I did see today was a new kicker, a good running game, a defense that didn't allow a 3 rd down conversion until the 4th quarter, Bell punt and kickoff well, RoJo show up in the passing game, JRob get more touches, Shump be used in short yardage situations. We finally used our personnel like we should and we still got skull drug because of turnovers. We protect the ball and we take the #14 team in the nation to the wire in their house.

Possibly the best post of the day, and I believe you are right on Hack.

We are close, but the problem is I'm tired of having to explain it to people. I really wish Mullen and this team would help me out so I don't have to do this every week.

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 08:25 PM

You and the blue light star are not that bright. If I had a vendetta, I'd burn the house down instead of posting on a message board that I think we need change. I actually think they did what they had to do with me. What they did or allowed to happen to Will pisses me off, but I've never once defended myself in this crap... even though I have a hell of a case.

Todd4State
11-02-2013, 08:27 PM

Well, here's my thing...

Why wait until game eight to start making what seem to be obvious changes? If there wasn't all of this bitching from fans, I have to honestly wonder if these changes would have even occurred?

Todd4State
11-02-2013, 08:29 PM

If he has a vandetta against the administration, you would think that Hack would support Dan being gone. So, I don't understand your logic on that?

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2013, 08:30 PM
I respect your opinion. At least you have some rationale for your support though I could shoot a million holes in it. My question was genuine b/c I really don't know anyone in my circle that wants to keep Mullen, but there appears to still be some support out there.

I think it's important to identify the problem, and, to me the problem isn't unfixable at this point. With Croom, the team flat out stopped playing, but our effort and game plan was very good today.

We just made young player mistakes.

At this point, our problems are extremely fixable by this coaching staff. NOW.... if we lose to Ark and OM because of a lack of effort and complete ineptness, then I'll be on board with doing something else.

After years of following these boards, talking to friends at tailgates, and coaching, I have come to learn that the people that know the least about football and how sports work are usually the ones who yell "fire, fire, fire" because they don't understand the problems enough to know that there are reasonable solutions that don't require firing the coaching staff.

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 08:30 PM
good question Todd. I think it should've been done earlier. I think a lot of it probably has to do with him spending time with Dak after our 5th year senior goes down instead of getting the special teams squared away. Or at leasts probably some of it.

I don't think Dan has done a good job this year by any means. I just don't think he should be fired given what he's accomplished here in 5 years given the adversity he's dealt with this year.

Technetium
11-02-2013, 08:31 PM

This all day. Was texting with a friend during the game and said the same thing; we did a much better job of properly using our personnel and talent this game, we just blew every opportunity with 4 turnovers (5th during garbage time) and a few mistakes during key moments (clock management before halftime, etc.) I was infuriated by this game not because we were beat soundly, but because we had no business getting beat soundly if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot so much. I haven't jumped on the Hud bandwagon yet. I want to see how Mullen finishes the year before deciding what I think, so let's see how the team responds against A&M next week.

HoopsDawg
11-02-2013, 08:37 PM
You and the blue light star are not that bright. If I had a vendetta, I'd burn the house down instead of posting on a message board that I think we need change. I actually think they did what they had to do with me. What they did or allowed to happen to Will pisses me off, but I've never once defended myself in this crap... even though I have a hell of a case.

Again, I don't care about any of that. I asked about Mullen and you brought up the "bigger problems that need to be handled first". You really don't know. You have no sources and you have no connections.

I have to go back to the 2010 Egg Bowl before I can find a win to be proud of.

3 signs of a well coached team:

1) 2nd half adjustments: umm, no
2) A well run 2 minute offense: today was a disaster
3) Good special teams: no again

How well does he manage his coaching staff? In my opinion, not very well.

Recruiting is subjective so I don't care to argue about recruiting tonight. But I don't believe he can or will be able to recruit at a level needed to compete in this league.

Saltydog
11-02-2013, 08:39 PM
comes to recruiting......That's the other piece of the puzzle that's missing......

bluelightstar
11-02-2013, 08:44 PM

What is not bright about me? I don't even know you.

ShotgunDawg
comes to recruiting......That's the other piece of the puzzle that's missing......

Not disagreeing one bit.

There are many areas in which we have to improve, but there are also many areas that WE ARE improving in. I just don't think a coaching change is the right thing at this moment.

In fact, if our young players continue to get this much experience and going through hard times, there is a chance we set up for a special year next year with a team that has been through a lot together and figured out how to win.

Tbonewannabe
I think it's important to identify the problem, and, to me the problem isn't unfixable at this point. With Croom, the team flat out stopped playing, but our effort and game plan was very good today.

We just made young player mistakes.

At this point, our problems are extremely fixable by this coaching staff. NOW.... if we lose to Ark and OM because of a lack of effort and complete ineptness, then I'll be on board with doing something else.

After years of following these boards, talking to friends at tailgates, and coaching, I have come to learn that the people that know the least about football and how sports work are usually the ones who yell "fire, fire, fire" because they don't understand the problems enough to know that there are reasonable solutions that don't require firing the coaching staff.

We beat Arkansas the week before the Egg Bowl beat down. That year we lost to La Tech by 8, won Se LA by 24, lost to Auburn by 1, Ga Tech by 31, LSU by 10, beat #13 Vandy by 3, lost to UT by 31, beat MTSU by 9, lost to UK by 1, Bama by 25, beat Ark by 3, then lost to UM 45 - 0.

The team didn't quit on Croom until the Egg Bowl. Arkansas was actually one of his best offensive games, which was what everyone pointed to when he was fired. No offensive team above #113.

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2013, 08:48 PM
We beat Arkansas the week before the Egg Bowl beat down. That year we lost to La Tech by 8, won Se LA by 24, lost to Auburn by 1, Ga Tech by 31, LSU by 10, beat #13 Vandy by 3, lost to UT by 31, beat MTSU by 9, lost to UK by 1, Bama by 25, beat Ark by 3, then lost to UM 45 - 0.

The team didn't quit on Croom until the Egg Bowl. Arkansas was actually one of his best offensive games, which was what everyone pointed to when he was fired. No offensive team above #113.

Very good points.

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 08:48 PM
What is not bright about me? I don't even know you.

concluding that I have a vendetta against the administration just because I think they're doing a poor job at certain things. That's not accurate and I don't appreciate it when people try to proclaim my "motive" on my behalf.

that said, I obviously have no clue how smart you are... it was just a dumb message board generalization based on one comment.

camsu
11-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Mullen should stay at least through next yr. The team today played with more heart and Mullen coached with more heart and better grasp of his players. O and D were on target today with their plans and 5 TOs killed us. This from what I read is a good recruit class. Refilling LB, RB, OL, DB. With 18/20 slots has refilled most needs except DL. Went into the season thinking TR was the QB and moved to Dak, showing his flexiblity. Collins is and today had good game. So Asst Coaches are getting better on D side. I would be shocked if not more changes at the end of the year but we have an excellent shot against aTM and Ark before we take the Egg back. Mullen has us on the right track and I think move us up the chain.

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Again, I don't care about any of that. I asked about Mullen and you brought up the "bigger problems that need to be handled first". You really don't know. You have no sources and you have no connections.

I have to go back to the 2010 Egg Bowl before I can find a win to be proud of.

3 signs of a well coached team:

1) 2nd half adjustments: umm, no
2) A well run 2 minute offense: today was a disaster
3) Good special teams: no again

How well does he manage his coaching staff? In my opinion, not very well.

Recruiting is subjective so I don't care to argue about recruiting tonight. But I don't believe he can or will be able to recruit at a level needed to compete in this league.

it's funny how people on message boards always want to throw out the "you don't really know anyone or anything" argument when they're outwitted.

The team still supports CDM. Until that changes, so will I. We can only wish some of you numbnuts would get in line and pull the rope the same way for this program.

bluelightstar
11-02-2013, 08:53 PM
concluding that I have a vendetta against the administration just because I think they're doing a poor job at certain things. That's not accurate and I don't appreciate it when people try to proclaim my "motive" on my behalf.

that said, I obviously have no clue how smart you are... it was just a dumb message board generalization based on one comment.

I don't know anything about your "vendetta" and I don't care. I was agreeing with his point about what has Mullen done since the Gator Bowl that convinces you he should be back.

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't know anything about your "vendetta" and I don't care. I was agreeing with his point about what has Mullen done since the Gator Bowl that convinces you he should be back.

gotcha. my apologies. the other poster was trying to discredit the need to examine change at higher levels by claiming I have a vendetta rather than actually examining if changes are needed.

coastdoglover
11-02-2013, 08:56 PM
There are no vendettas on here. Just a bunch of folks frustrated because of how we lose. I do know one thing, I believe we are weak in our administration and that goes from the top down. Keenum knows we have problems but he delegates like most CEO's. Scott should have had Bracky replaced by now and that shows where we are. I don't think he would replace Dan if he went winless the rest of the way but even worse would be the fear of who he might hire. Therein lies our biggest problems.

ckDOG
11-02-2013, 09:03 PM
All depends on who he is replaced with. There are dozens of folks that can beat 3 soft OOCs (4 if we aren't scheduling stupid), UK, and 1-2 other SEC teams which aren't clearly playing great ball. If Mullen can maintain that, there's no reason to replace him with those types. Give him a chance to improve on his weaknesses instead of gambling on a new up and coming coordinator or some retread.

If we can get a proven HC that's essentially a lock at stepping up our recruiting game, let's do it. I have little or no confidence that would happen though. So let's stick with Mullen and one of you connected super stars can get the ball rolling on firing the Brackster and getting our influential folks to start pulling in the same direction.

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 09:07 PM
if a change is made I hope it's Hud and a national search for candidates, but they've got to have some level of SEC experience and ties to the region IMO.

however, I'm not convinced we need a change just because of one down year.

CadaverDawg
11-02-2013, 09:12 PM
This is my response to Shotgun (and hack somewhat, but mainly Shotgun). I agree, we saw some good personnel moves today...but good grief, the fans have been calling for these moves for 7 games!! And then he finally does them, and they worked. That doesn't say, "Hey Mullen gets it"...that says "Hey, Mullen didn't get that obvious shit until the season was toast". THAT is what it says.

So I respect y'all's views, but to act like Mullen has us going in the right direction when he obviously can't make an adjustment in game or even game to game, makes no sense to me. It has taken him 7 games, guys...SEVEN! To make these obvious personnel adjustments. It is ludicrous in my mind to pat someone on the back for doing some shit right that you could have done 2 months ago they were so obvious.

But that's just my opinion. I definitely respect yours, just disagree.

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2013, 09:16 PM
This is my response to Shotgun and Hack. I agree, we saw some good personnel moves today...but good grief, the fans have been calling for these moves for 7 games!! And then he finally does them, and they worked. That doesn't say, "Hey Mullen gets it"...that says "Hey, Mullen didn't get that obvious shit until the season was toast". THAT is what it says.

So I respect y'all's views, but to act like Mullen has us going in the right direction when he obviously can't make an adjustment in game or even game to game, makes no sense to me. It has taken him 7 games, guys...SEVEN! To make these obvious personnel adjustments. It is ludicrous in my mind to pat someone on the back for doing some shit right that you could have done 2 months ago they were so obvious.

But that's just my opinion. I definitely respect yours, just disagree.

Fair points...

Look I'm withholding judgement till the end of the season, but, as of right now, I am seeing some positives, that if things click, BIG IF, we could be a good team.

I can tell you this much, if we made a coaching change, the new coach would be taking over a better situation than any new coach has taken over at MSU in the past half century. Mullen has at least accomplished that.

CadaverDawg
11-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Fair points...

Look I'm withholding judgement till the end of the season, but, as of right now, I am seeing some positives, that if things click, BIG IF, we could be a good team.

I can tell you this much, if we made a coaching change, the new coach would be taking over a better than situation than any new coach has taken over at MSU in the past half century. Mullen has at least accomplished that.

1000% agree with that.

Tbonewannabe
11-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Just in facility upgrades, our job is 10x what it was before we hired Mullen. We also now pay top 25 type money for a head coach. I will be forever grateful to Mullen for demanding more from us as a fanbase.

preachermatt83
11-02-2013, 09:31 PM
it's funny how people on message boards always want to throw out the "you don't really know anyone or anything" argument when they're outwitted.

The team still supports CDM. Until that changes, so will I. We can only wish some of you numbnuts would get in line and pull the rope the same way for this program.

a team is to have 1 mindset, 1 heartbeat, and be headed in 1 direction, much of the team may be but your statement is dead wrong. While many on the team may support Mullen I assure you, not all of them do.

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 09:36 PM
a team is to have 1 mindset, 1 heartbeat, and be headed in 1 direction, much of the team may be but your statement is dead wrong. While many on the team may support Mullen I assure you, not all of them do.

who's the leader of this team? and does he support CDM?

obviously there will always be some dissent, but most of the players do not want CDM gone. not that one taken a poll or anything... but I feel comfortable saying "most."

preachermatt83
11-02-2013, 09:45 PM
who's the leader of this team? and does he support CDM?

obviously there will always be some dissent, but most of the players do not want CDM gone. not that one taken a poll or anything... but I feel comfortable saying "most."

I would say that there are many on both sides. That is not a good thing. I am fearful that Dan is starting to lose more everyday.

Dawgface
11-02-2013, 09:49 PM
If so, why?

No.