PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Rotation Without Ginn

confucius say
02-24-2020, 02:32 PM
What would you do? McLeod, EC, Koestler?

I would love to keep McLeod on Saturday and try to steal a Friday, but I just don't think you can.

Losing ginn creates a huge void that I'm afraid will show up in sec play. I think we only have one guy right now who you feel good is a true weekend starter, and he is prob more of a sat guy at this point in his career than a fri guy.

StarkVegasSteve
02-24-2020, 02:35 PM
Losing Brandon Smith in the fall is even bigger now than it was then, and it was pretty damn big then. I think we just need to stick with Koestler and Johnny Wholestaff on Friday and try to steal one and keep McLeod and Wild Thing on Saturday and Sunday.

confucius say
02-24-2020, 03:06 PM
No kidding on smith. If ginn is done, that is two of your top arms gone.

If EC can't figure it out, and right now he can't be trusted, we may need one of the freshmen who we thought would be a bullpen piece (Landon Sims) to become a third starter.

TNDawg35
02-24-2020, 04:21 PM
We have some really good freshman arms in Bednar and Simms. Bednar looked really really good the other day. I?m not worried about Fri nights because of Koestler. If he can get us 5 or 6, we have a really good bullpen to close it out.

I?m more worried about the offense than pitching. We have got to start hitting the ball. I?m more afraid good pitching will shit us completely down, no matter who we throw...

TNDawg35
02-24-2020, 04:26 PM
If I?m Lemonis I mix up the batting order. Rowdy is struggling in the lead off spot and is too streaky to hit there. Maybe go something like this...

L Jordan/Hancock
Westburg
Allen
Foscue
Pimentel
Hatcher
L Tanner
James
Rowdey

MaroonFlounder
02-24-2020, 04:30 PM
Cerantola on Sunday is fine for now, while control is a ??? And by then the opposing team should be on their 3rd best starter. Get ready for some high-scoring Sunday games.

hp22
02-24-2020, 07:11 PM
What would you do? McLeod, EC, Koestler?

I would love to keep McLeod on Saturday and try to steal a Friday, but I just don't think you can.

Losing ginn creates a huge void that I'm afraid will show up in sec play. I think we only have one guy right now who you feel good is a true weekend starter, and he is prob more of a sat guy at this point in his career than a fri guy.

I think Bednar will eventually be the guy. And you hope he has the impact say Konnor Pilkington did in his freshman year (2016).

I'd stick with Koestler another weekend or two. But I would keep giving Bednar extended 50 - 75 pitches a weekend.

I also wish Landom Sims got more work in because he can be electric too. But I would keep him in a bullpen role for now. That is my .02.

Todd4State
02-24-2020, 09:55 PM
I would eventually move MacLeoud to Friday and Koestler to Saturday until Cerentola shows me better command.

Because our midweek game got cancelled we haven't really seen our entire staff honestly. I want to see how KC Hunt looks against Texas Southern and I want to see how Davis Rokose looks. We haven't even seen Jack Eagan yet.

Todd4State
02-24-2020, 09:56 PM
I think Bednar will eventually be the guy. And you hope he has the impact say Konnor Pilkington did in his freshman year (2016).

I'd stick with Koestler another weekend or two. But I would keep giving Bednar extended 50 - 75 pitches a weekend.

I also wish Landom Sims got more work in because he can be electric too. But I would keep him in a bullpen role for now. That is my .02.

I wonder if Bednar could be a relief ace for us like Lindgren and Girodo. Agree on Sims.

hp22
02-24-2020, 10:12 PM
I wonder if Bednar could be a relief ace for us like Lindgren and Girodo. Agree on Sims.

I think Bednar could definitely do that. I also think he could be the Sunday guy. He has potential to be really good here one day. He has that physical look about him. This staff has a ton of options. It's figuring out how to organize it.

Todd4State
02-24-2020, 11:10 PM
I think Bednar could definitely do that. I also think he could be the Sunday guy. He has potential to be really good here one day. He has that physical look about him. This staff has a ton of options. It's figuring out how to organize it.

We definitely appear to have more options than I anticipated. I'm impressed with what Foxhall is bringing in and how he appears to be developing our pitchers.

HoopsDawg
02-24-2020, 11:56 PM
Continue as is. Koestler-McCloud-Cerantola.

preachermatt83
02-25-2020, 09:47 AM
There’s no way I move Macleod from Saturday. He offers a huge match up problem for other teams going against there number 2. I’d almost concede Friday’s to win Saturday.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-25-2020, 10:00 AM
There’s no way I move Macleod from Saturday. He offers a huge match up problem for other teams going against there number 2. I’d almost concede Friday’s to win Saturday.

I agree. Macleod would be the 6-7th best Friday guy in the conference, but probably a top 3 Saturday guy. And if Cerantola is on we have the best Sunday guy in the conference, and of hes off we still have a 50-50 shot because not many teams have a good Sunday starter.

But, the problem is that unless Kessler gets a lot more efficient (ie keeps them from fouling off pitch after pitch) hell never go more than 3-4 innings. I'd hate to use all our good bullpen arms trying to salvage a Friday game, only to lose Sat/Sun because the pen crapped out late

Maverick
02-25-2020, 12:18 PM
Y'all lets get the names right, we are butchering them here ha!

I think it has to stay as is unless we are forced to make a change. Koestler gives you a veteran guy for Friday who doesn't appear to get rattled easily which is what we need there right now. The biggest thing I see is that with JT out that messes with Sunday and we saw those effects this weekend. I would also think we could easily see some guys emerge once we play some of these midweek games. Keep in mind, there are arms we haven't even seen yet. It would really be nice to see Cerantola put it together before SEC play, just got to keep running him out there on Sundays. I don't see it happening but maybe it will all click for him sooner than later.

confucius say
02-25-2020, 12:28 PM
Koestler is just not a Friday night guy.
If CM improves just a little I think he is much better than 6-7 best fri night guy in this league. He could be dominant. I do like the idea of keeping him on Saturday if we have another option for Friday though.

Best thing to do right now may be to let koestler throw this Friday and just see how he does. Maybe he can handle it.

Maverick
02-25-2020, 12:59 PM
Maybe he's not a typical Friday night guy but he's a veteran who's been a starter and knows the ropes. He also beat LSU last year and I know it was a midweek game but that's probably worth noting....

ZedFedder
02-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Who is starting pitching the game today?

ZedFedder
02-25-2020, 01:46 PM
Who is starting pitching the game today?

Nevermind, its KC Hunt.

StarkVegasSteve
02-25-2020, 02:28 PM
If I?m Lemonis I mix up the batting order. Rowdy is struggling in the lead off spot and is too streaky to hit there. Maybe go something like this...

L Jordan/Hancock
Westburg
Allen
Foscue
Pimentel
Hatcher
L Tanner
James
Rowdey

I'm wondering if we shouldn't go to the Cannizarro lineup and put Allen or Foscue at the top, ala Rooker. We need to get them as many swings as possible.

Maverick
02-25-2020, 05:09 PM
I'm wondering if we shouldn't go to the Cannizarro lineup and put Allen or Foscue at the top, ala Rooker. We need to get them as many swings as possible.

Always thought TA would be a good lead off guy. He's got good patience at the plate, usually sees the ball pretty good, and allows the team to see a few pitches....