PDA

View Full Version : Tony Hughes knows

coastratdog
02-22-2020, 11:52 AM
Taken from an article in today's CL.

"Hughes said it takes time for new coaches to build that trust. It also takes time for them to understand the different nuances of different regions within the state.

Folks from the Delta have different personalities than those from the Jackson metro area. Folks from the coast aren't necessarily peas in a pod with those from north Mississippi."

Gotta laugh at this quote. Never been called a Coast Rat until I went to State.

ZedFedder
02-22-2020, 12:48 PM
That is very true. Very, very glad we have him on staff.

Dawgbite
02-22-2020, 04:45 PM
There is four very distinct regions in this state.

99jc
02-22-2020, 05:31 PM

You got that right....the Miss delta has the weirdest culture I have ever lived.

32 Dive
02-22-2020, 05:33 PM
Having lived 20+ years on the Coast, 11 years in the Delta, 6 years in Natchez, 6 years in Starkville, and 3 years in Jackson...

I couldn't agree with Coach Hughes more. (Hughes has also lived in almost every part of this state. He was my 12th Grade history teacher, in 1987-88.)

hopsondawg22
02-22-2020, 05:33 PM
You got that right....the Miss delta has the weirdest culture I have ever lived.

What did you find weird about it? So Northeast Ms, the Delta, the Jackson metro, and the coast are the 4 region I would assume.

99jc
02-22-2020, 05:41 PM
I can't really explain it the Delta is a shithole and when you drive down the last hill from Winona into Greenwood the mentality of people changes immensely. I lived in Greenville for 5 years I moved from there to Wyoming/Montana boarder and it was liked being released from prison.

msbulldog
02-22-2020, 05:50 PM
99JC you hung with the lower caste.

32 Dive
02-22-2020, 05:54 PM

While you are mostly right, I'd take it a bit further...
From my experiences, I'd say more than that. And most of these, could be even more classified.

1) Metro Jackson - Hinds, Madison, Rankin.
2) Gulf Coast - 3 coastal counties, and even they are different from each other. Most diverse area of the state, due to the transient nature.
3) Southwest - Vicksburg (could almost be included, culturally, in the Delta), Natchez, McComb, Brookhaven
4) Delta
5) Pine Belt - Hattiesburg, Laurel, south to the Gulf Coast
6) East Central - Meridian, Philadelphia
7) Northeast - Tupelo, Corinth
8) Metro Memphis extended
9) I-55 corridor - North of Madison County

hopsondawg22
02-22-2020, 07:28 PM
99JC you hung with the lower caste.

That?s what I?m thinking, the only way to do the delta is to get cozy with some of the big wig farmers and some of the plaintiff lawyers over here. Dispatches from Pluto is a good book breaking down the culture of the Delta and it?s peoples.

Liverpooldawg
02-22-2020, 07:46 PM
I've always thought it was more like three: The Coast, The Delta, and everywhere else.

Dawgbite
02-22-2020, 08:03 PM
It really could be five. The extreme Northeastern counties are more Tn/ NW Alabama than they are Mississippi. They even have their own accent. My wife can pick them out as soon as they open their mouth.

Lord McBuckethead
02-22-2020, 08:22 PM
Taken from an article in today's CL.

"Hughes said it takes time for new coaches to build that trust. It also takes time for them to understand the different nuances of different regions within the state.

Folks from the Delta have different personalities than those from the Jackson metro area. Folks from the coast aren't necessarily peas in a pod with those from north Mississippi."

Gotta laugh at this quote. Never been called a Coast Rat until I went to State.

Oh you were, you just didnt know it.

Patrick Tibbons
02-22-2020, 08:53 PM

100%. I?ve lived on the Coast, pinebelt, and golden triangle. I?ve visited and met numerous people from the delta. It?s like a cult. They think it?s the best place in the world, when in reality it?s like a third world country. Really odd group in the delta.

BorneDawg
02-22-2020, 09:06 PM
It really could be five. The extreme Northeastern counties are more Tn/ NW Alabama than they are Mississippi. They even have their own accent. My wife can pick them out as soon as they open their mouth.

You could be right.... when I (from Tishomingo county, as far NE as it gets) was at State in the late 90's my friends that were from various other parts of the state would go on and on about my accent

Todd4State
02-22-2020, 09:09 PM
While you are mostly right, I'd take it a bit further...
From my experiences, I'd say more than that. And most of these, could be even more classified.

1) Metro Jackson - Hinds, Madison, Rankin.
2) Gulf Coast - 3 coastal counties, and even they are different from each other. Most diverse area of the state, due to the transient nature.
3) Southwest - Vicksburg (could almost be included, culturally, in the Delta), Natchez, McComb, Brookhaven
4) Delta
5) Pine Belt - Hattiesburg, Laurel, south to the Gulf Coast
6) East Central - Meridian, Philadelphia
7) Northeast - Tupelo, Corinth
8) Metro Memphis extended
9) I-55 corridor - North of Madison County

I agree and I would add 10) the city of Jackson as a separate area from the metro.