PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with Ginn?

CadaverDawg
02-19-2020, 03:38 PM
What bad happened to the baseball team?

MSU GIF twitter account said he heard some potentially awful news about the baseball team. Anybody know what's up? Tell me Ginn isn't hurt or something. As long as it isn't one of our starting pitchers we can manage an injury I think

ZedFedder
02-19-2020, 03:41 PM
MSU GIF twitter account said he heard some potentially awful news about the baseball team. Anybody know what's up? Tell me Ginn isn't hurt or something. As long as it isn't one of our starting pitchers we can manage an injury I think

Potential fracture with Tanner Allen’s knee?

Homedawg
02-19-2020, 03:57 PM
Ginn
Indian burial ground....

PKADogs55
02-19-2020, 03:58 PM
Anyone have any details??

Homedawg
02-19-2020, 03:59 PM
It's Ginn.

KOdawg1
02-19-2020, 04:17 PM
We can't 17ing catch a break

HailStateSZN19
02-19-2020, 04:18 PM
Damn.... that 17’n sucks man....

CadaverDawg
02-19-2020, 04:26 PM
Good grief man. We are snakebit

KOdawg1
02-19-2020, 04:32 PM
I think we'll be fine on Friday nights with MacLeod, but Saturday and Sunday are now crapshoots. Cerantola needs to grow up and grow up fast. Sundays will be a new guy. This isn't good. Our Omaha chances just took a hit. Then again, we made it in 2018 with far less, so I'm not going to panic, but this sucks

MaroonFlounder
02-19-2020, 04:37 PM

The Tweet has since been deleted.

starkvegasdawg
02-19-2020, 04:38 PM
Last time we got a pair like this it was our coach banging whom he ought not to bang. Would almost take that again over a starting pitcher going down.

KOdawg1
02-19-2020, 04:39 PM
Last time we got a pair like this it was our coach banging whom he ought not to bang. Would almost take that again over a starting pitcher going down.

The days after the first series of the season are cursed

StarkVegasSteve
02-19-2020, 04:43 PM
Is it for sure he's done? Or is he just out a few weeks?

BeardoMSU
02-19-2020, 04:45 PM
Is it for sure he's done? Or is he just out a few weeks?

Shit guys, lets post some damn links.

Homedawg
02-19-2020, 04:46 PM
Getting a second opinion. If it matches the first, he's done for the year.

PKADogs55
02-19-2020, 04:48 PM
Shit guys, lets post some damn links.

No Joke!!

Homedawg
02-19-2020, 04:56 PM
There is no damn link. Jt is out. Believe it if you want.

Coach34
02-19-2020, 05:02 PM
You don’t go to BHam for a 2nd opinion. You go for confirmation and to schedule surgery.

BeardoMSU
02-19-2020, 05:04 PM
Does this mean he's at MSU for a junior season?

(would still like to see a single tweet, source, link, etc.)

Maverick
02-19-2020, 05:05 PM
Am I the only one that thinks a tiny spark has fueled a huge fire? Maybe the rumor is true and maybe it's not but damn man typical gloom State waiting on the bad takes a little one liner and runs with it and turns it into JT is done.

Homedawg
02-19-2020, 05:06 PM
You don’t go to BHam for a 2nd opinion. You go for confirmation and to schedule surgery.

Fair point

Homedawg
02-19-2020, 05:08 PM
Am I the only one that thinks a tiny spark has fueled a huge fire? Maybe the rumor is true and maybe it's not but damn man typical gloom State waiting on the bad takes a little one liner and runs with it and turns it into JT is done.

People want info. I provided it. I'm sorry you and others need a link. I'd love to be wrong..... but....

smootness
02-19-2020, 05:08 PM
Honestly, I've just been kind of waiting for something like this at some point this year. They've just been way too cautious with him for way too long. It seemed obvious he was destined for this.

Maverick
02-19-2020, 05:12 PM
People want info. I provided it. I'm sorry you and others need a link. I'd love to be wrong..... but....

I don't need a link but anybody can go around spouting names out. I can say I heard the whole team got caught banging hookers in the locker room but that doesn't make it true now does it? That's all I'm saying, maybe it's right who knows but damn seriously? If you have proof then so be it....

Homedawg
02-19-2020, 05:14 PM
I don't need a link but anybody can go around spouting names out. I can say I heard the whole team got caught banging hookers in the locker room but that doesn't make it true now does it? That's all I'm saying, maybe it's right who knows but damn seriously? If you have proof then so be it....
As a rule I don't just spout stuff....

Commercecomet24
02-19-2020, 05:15 PM

Unfortunately.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2020, 05:16 PM

Homedawg is always extremely accurate.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-19-2020, 05:16 PM
I'm hearing just inflammation same as last year. This is after the B'ham trip. I could be wrong but the source I trust 100%.

mparkerfd20
02-19-2020, 05:17 PM
He was being coddled anyway, so wasn't going to hold up as a Friday starter and McLeod was gonna take it from him anyway. Yes it hurts, but next man up. These guys are pretty resilient so don't throw the season away just yet. Just might not be as special as it could have been if he's done for the season.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-19-2020, 05:18 PM
Honestly, I've just been kind of waiting for something like this at some point this year. They've just been way too cautious with him for way too long. It seemed obvious he was destined for this.

Any chance that's why he came to school over going pro? There was concern over this?

Brahmabull
02-19-2020, 05:19 PM
I'm hearing just inflammation same as last year. This is after the B'ham trip. I could be wrong but the source I trust 100%.

I'm hearing worse than that. We will see, but what I heard doesn't sound good.

BeardoMSU
02-19-2020, 05:25 PM

Jesus...In that case, what is his role, then? Sunday starter, and we get whatever we get from him? Obviously he hist longevity can't be relied upon to be the Friday guy. I guess that's not the end of the world, but damn...

Maverick
02-19-2020, 05:27 PM

I can respect that.

starkvegasdawg
02-19-2020, 05:27 PM
Jesus...In that case, what is his role, then? Sunday starter, and we get whatever we get from him? Obviously he hist longevity can't be relied upon to be the Friday guy. I guess that's not the end of the world, but damn...

Closer?

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2020, 05:28 PM
Everyone is going to have to get used to more arm injuries in college baseball.

The reason is that Major League Baseball teams have figured out that HS pitchers are overly risky for 1st round picks unless they are transcendent talents,

Thus more & more velocity is going to start getting to college & more & more arm injuries are going to happen. These same arm injuries have always happened, it's just that they happened at the lower levels of the minor leagues because these kids were signing pro contracts.

I'll always say: pitchers should sign & go pro out of high school & hitters should go to college. For most pitchers, the amount they get offered out of HS will be the most they ever see. Simply a risky position

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2020, 05:28 PM
Closer?

He would probably be outstanding in this role. If Brandon Smith would've stayed healthy, it would've been a good situation

Commercecomet24
02-19-2020, 05:38 PM
Everyone is going to have to get used to more arm injuries in college baseball.

The reason is that Major League Baseball teams have figured out that HS pitchers are overly risky for 1st round picks unless they are transcendent talents,

Thus more & more velocity is going to start getting to college & more & more arm injuries are going to happen. These same arm injuries have always happened, it's just that they happened at the lower levels of the minor leagues because these kids were signing pro contracts.

I'll always say: pitchers should sign & go pro out of high school & hitters should go to college. For most pitchers, the amount they get offered out of HS will be the most they ever see. Simply a risky position

Very accurate assessment

TNDawg35
02-19-2020, 05:39 PM
Mac on Friday
Cerentola on Sat
Sims on Sunday

basedog
02-19-2020, 05:51 PM
I'm no expert but the biggest problem I see is way to much "travel ball" for pitchers. They pitch all year long now days and it starts way before they are developed in the muscle structure.

Bass Chaser
02-19-2020, 05:56 PM
This hard for me to understand because I thought his pitching was limited throughout high school.

KOdawg1
02-19-2020, 05:59 PM
JT is telling people he's fine. Take it for what it's worth

Coursesuper
02-19-2020, 06:01 PM
I'm no expert but the biggest problem I see is way to much "travel ball" for pitchers. They pitch all year long now days and it starts way before they are developed in the muscle structure.

Dead on the money!!!!! Two that played with my kid wound up with TJ ( neither one is a great talent) sadly I have lay a good bit of the blame at the feet of the parent here. Many pushing their sons way to far, way to many pitches. I know that none of these coaches are intent on this but they aren't the ones who have theses kids playing for more than one squad.

viverlibre
02-19-2020, 06:21 PM

A scout told me this last year.

OLJWales
02-19-2020, 06:24 PM
This is what its like being a State fan. Dead injuns shaking down Starkvegas poltergeist style.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2020, 06:26 PM

In some cases this is true but not in the case of JT. JT was on strict pitch/inning counts since he was 10 so that's not the issue in his case.

Turfdawg67
02-19-2020, 06:31 PM
In some cases this is true but not in the case of JT. JT was on strict pitch/inning counts since he was 10 so that's not the issue in his case.

What about breaking pitches though? Kids used to wait until HS before the learn a curveball and now it's 12 and 13 year olds doing it.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2020, 06:37 PM
What about breaking pitches though? Kids used to wait until HS before the learn a curveball and now it's 12 and 13 year olds doing it.

He didn't throw breaking balls until hs. Threw 2 seam fastball and slip change up until then. Heck he never even threw a 4 seam until he got to State

basedog
02-19-2020, 06:38 PM

I've heard that bout him. My take isn't about him, I think having a really good trainer in the off season is more important especially for pitchers. I've seen first hand from August thru December what it has done for someone. Kid didn't throw much off the mound.

PKADogs55
02-19-2020, 06:45 PM

I was not doubting you Home, just curious if anything had been released was all.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2020, 06:48 PM
I've heard that bout him. My take isn't about him, I think having a really good trainer in the off season is more important especially for pitchers. I've seen first hand from August thru December what it has done for someone. Kid didn't throw much off the mound.

I agree with what you're saying, absolutely. I've never let my kids play year round and players need to not pick up a ball for at least 3-4 months a year.

Coursesuper
02-19-2020, 06:50 PM
I agree with what you're saying, absolutely. I've never let my kids play year round and players need to not pick up a ball for at least 3-4 months a year.

Amen!

tcdog70
02-19-2020, 06:51 PM
Hope nothing is wrong with JT. But wasn't He an elite hitter also? Maybe he can still hit.

basedog
02-19-2020, 06:56 PM

Good luck to ur son this fall. I wish he and u the best.

Turfdawg67
02-19-2020, 06:59 PM
I was not doubting you Home, just curious if anything had been released was all.

PSA... if you shorten his name, Homie is correct. ***

Lord McBuckethead
02-19-2020, 07:05 PM
Hope nothing is wrong with JT. But wasn't He an elite hitter also? Maybe he can still hit.

Hell get him in the DH spot and let his arm rest.

Todd4State
02-19-2020, 07:11 PM
This hard for me to understand because I thought his pitching was limited throughout high school.

Lot of studies that talk about not pitching enough, kids not playing other sports etc.
And it's also important to understand the difference between prevention and elimination. Pitch counts and things like that help with prevention but they don't eliminate possible injuries.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2020, 07:15 PM
Good luck to ur son this fall. I wish he and u the best.

Thank you so much! Appreciate it!

Cooterpoot
02-19-2020, 07:15 PM

Only at the shitty local travel route. Legit programs take care of arms.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2020, 07:17 PM
Lot of studies that talk about not pitching enough, kids not playing other sports etc.
And it's also important to understand the difference between prevention and elimination. Pitch counts and things like that help with prevention but they don't eliminate possible injuries.

Yep, exactly! And it's true that some don't throw enough and therefore the arm isnt conditioned enough when it comes time to "stretch it out". It's a fine line between to much and not enough.

PKADogs55
02-19-2020, 07:19 PM
PSA... if you shorten his name, Homie is correct. ***

Lol Noted

smootness
02-19-2020, 07:31 PM
The bottom line is, the arm is not meant to make a throwing motion, and the harder you throw the more that is true. It helps to throw less, but you are still eventually going to go down.

Bass Chaser
02-19-2020, 07:31 PM
Yep, exactly! And it's true that some don't throw enough and therefore the arm is conditioned enough when it comes time to "stretch it out". It's a fine line between to much and not enough.

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

notsofarawaydawg
02-19-2020, 07:34 PM
All I can say is that if you were a pitcher for his high school coach, you were going to have arm problems after high school. He’s known for pushing the pitch count with his stud pitchers.

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2020, 07:35 PM

That's not near as big of a issue as it's been made.

The bigger issue is that the #1 correlation to getting swing and miss is velocity and and #2 is strikes.

So pitchers are throwing harder than ever and the human body for most folks wasn't built for that.

The human body is a car built to go 92 mph. When guys get over that, the injury rate goes up.

It's the price of poker.

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2020, 07:37 PM

I don't think breaking pitches are a big deal unless guys throw too many of them in one outing.

Learn to pitch up in the strike zone with your fastball and tunnel a breaking ball or change up off of it with the same arm speed.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2020, 07:50 PM
I don't think breaking pitches are a big deal unless guys throw too many of them in one outing.

Learn to pitch up in the strike zone with your fastball and tunnel a breaking ball or change up off of it with the same arm speed.

Agreed

SandlotDawg
02-19-2020, 07:50 PM
Well there’s truth to it. Hopefully just soreness and nothing serious. https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1230284828903460865?s=21

basedog
02-19-2020, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;1232788]That's not near as big of a issue as it's been made.

Hmmmm, maybe not to you.

Coach34
02-19-2020, 08:23 PM
I've been dragged back into coaching baseball after a 15 year break- and considering coaches are money whores- it is what it is. But I'm pretty good at what I do- and attack my job aggressively but keep the kid's future in mind. Here is what I do with my arms as Pitching Coach:

We 4 seam up in the zone and 2 seam down in the zone.
I teach the standard 90-degree, 12-6 curveball- must be in the 9th grade to throw it (14 years old and up). Not all kids can throw it well tho due to stiff wrists or arm slot.
I will not teach the slider as it torques the elbow too much- I teach the Cutter instead
We find them a 3rd pitch whether its a change, split-finger FB, or knuckleball
I stress legs, legs, legs in the weightroom and on the Bump
I adjust pitch counts to the kid's frame and age.
WE ice after every bullpen or outing. The problem is that your top pitcher's usually play SS or other infield position- so they need to throw more often. My Ace ices 5 days a week after practice.

Most HS coaches in today's game are doing this type of stuff with their pitchers. So stop digging at HS coaches- some kids just wear down quicker or threw too much before their HS coach started working with them. Wear and tear is wear and tear

shoeless joe
02-19-2020, 08:24 PM
I like for my guys to throw every day. Not pitch every day but throw every day. And have the full body in condition to handle the stress. Occasionally we’d have a sore arm but nothing major. And we had all kinds of kinds throwing for us.

Then one day a dad decides his son needs a more “fine tuned” throwing program. He begins weighted balls etc. I voiced my concern but let it play out. Well since this kid was doing the new fancy throwing program some other dads decided they wanted to go that route...within 2 years every kid that has done weighted balls has either missed a full season of pitching/had surgery.

This has zilch to do with Ginn and is geared more toward the discussion of maximizing velocity isn’t always the best route. Common sense and experience solves a lot...and then some guys are going to have issues either way. Nature of the beast...butch Thompson has some great incite and expertise in this area and is a joy to listen to for pitching and general baseball guys alike

The Federalist Engineer
02-19-2020, 08:28 PM

Then just call it a bulldog career and let him wait to the draft. Just inflammation and thats that. Get drafted #1. We add another #1 pick to program history.

One pitcher is not going win you an NC or even guarantee you an LSU series. We need to a program with six big arms. 2 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 2 freshman that can be weekend starters.

Liverpooldawg
02-19-2020, 08:33 PM
That's not near as big of a issue as it's been made.

The bigger issue is that the #1 correlation to getting swing and miss is velocity and and #2 is strikes.

So pitchers are throwing harder than ever and the human body for most folks wasn't built for that.

The human body is a car built to go 92 mph. When guys get over that, the injury rate goes up.

It's the price of poker.

It's WAY bigger deal than has been made of it, esp for pitchers. Ask any Doc that works in the field.

BuckyIsAB****
02-19-2020, 08:37 PM
Hearing he may not pitch again as a bulldog and that is from rankin county. Tough deal for a kid who turned down almost 4.5 mil. I had heard he would be back for SEC play but I just dont think the family will risk it. I know you know, and its perfectly fine if you dont want to disclose it. I dont know the family but I know people who do

BuckyIsAB****
02-19-2020, 08:43 PM
You don?t go to BHam for a 2nd opinion. You go for confirmation and to schedule surgery.

They thought it was UCL but there is no tear but I still dont expect him to ever pitch for us again

maroonmania
02-19-2020, 08:43 PM
Well he's already gotten a year of the MSU college baseball atmosphere and a trip to Omaha out of the deal. I would hate to lose him but he's got to do what's best for him. At this point though he will likely have to have a procedure to change anything. My understanding was he didn't even pitch during the offseason and if he is already have arm issues again after the first weekend it doesn't sound like his arm is ever going to get right on its own.

Coursesuper
02-19-2020, 08:46 PM
They thought it was UCL but there is no tear but I still dont expect him to ever pitch for us again

Me either.

msstate7
02-19-2020, 08:47 PM
Hopefully this isn't true. If it is, I can't imagine him getting the same offer he did out of HS

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2020, 08:48 PM
Hearing he may not pitch again as a bulldog and that is from rankin county. Tough deal for a kid who turned down almost 4.5 mil. I had heard he would be back for SEC play but I just dont think the family will risk it. I know you know, and its perfectly fine if you dont want to disclose it. I dont know the family but I know people who do

Honestly, he should've never come to school if this was the intention.

I understand the situation but if you feel that you'll need to be put above the program, you probably shouldn't have come to begin with.

Additionally, if he's out for the season, I don't know how he makes much money on the draft. He needs to pitch at some point.

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2020, 08:49 PM
Hopefully this isn't true. If it is, I can't imagine him getting the same offer he did out of HS

Not even close unless he pitches and produces.

BuckyIsAB****
02-19-2020, 08:51 PM
Honestly, he should've never come to school if this was the intention.

I understand the situation but if you feel that you'll need to be put above the program, you probably shouldn't have come to begin with.

Additionally, if he's out for the season, I don't know how he makes much money on the draft. He needs to pitch at some point.

He has never felt he was above the program. I dont know anything concrete I just heard UCL earlier today, then MRI but no tear and back for SEC play.

Coach34
02-19-2020, 08:54 PM
If there is no tear but he still shuts it down- he will sink like a rock in the draft. Which means he should return to college. MLB drafts pitchers to f'ing pitch.

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2020, 09:04 PM
MLB drafts pitchers to f'ing pitch.

This

I had a conversation with a Major League pitching coach recently & asked him the main difference between Major League pitchers & pitchers at most power SEC programs.

His answer, " These guys can go when I need them. 2 days a week, 3 days a week, even 4 sometimes. They can take the ball & go."

There you have it.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-19-2020, 09:09 PM
This

I had a conversation with a Major League pitching coach recently & asked him the main difference between Major League pitchers & pitchers at most power SEC programs.

His answer, " These guys can go when I need them. 2 days a week, 3 days a week, even 4 sometimes. They can take the ball & go."

There you have it.

Yeah, how is that possible?

How is it that a MLB pitchers body seems to magically heal up so much faster than a college pitcher? It cant be age; even 30+ year old MLB guys do it and a 21 year olds body bounces back quicker. And it cant be that College pitchers haven't had enough time with high quality programs, because even 23 year old Srs from top programs can't recover like MLB guys.

I fundamentally dont get it

AlSwearengen
02-19-2020, 09:18 PM
For you pitching experts, how does JT get that hard sink and run? Is he rolling his wrist over or is it simply from pressure with the fingers? If ya’ll think back, Bobby Reed had a hard sinker and was almost unhittable as a freshman but tore his elbow up. I know a guy who pitched in the majors for a short time. He threw slow frisbees to the plate but hurt his elbow, came back with much less movement and was out of the game because he wasn’t effective anymore.

I rambled but could the problem be the hard movement that JT is creating?

Dawgology
02-19-2020, 09:19 PM
Good lord. We got no food, we got no jobs, our pets heads are falling off!

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2020, 09:22 PM

How is it that a MLB pitchers body seems to magically heal up so much faster than a college pitcher? It cant be age; even 30+ year old MLB guys do it and a 21 year olds body bounces back quicker. And it cant be that College pitchers haven't had enough time with high quality programs, because even 23 year old Srs from top programs can't recover like MLB guys.

Because the MLB pitchers are genetically built like that. They're different animals than you, I, and most MLB pitchers.

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2020, 09:23 PM
For you pitching experts, how does JT get that hard sink and run? Is he rolling his wrist over or is it simply from pressure with the fingers? If ya’ll think back, Bobby Reed had a hard sinker and was almost unhittable as a freshman but tore his elbow up. I know a guy who pitched in the majors for a short time. He threw slow frisbees to the plate but hurt his elbow, came back with much less movement and was out of the game because he wasn’t effective anymore.

I rambled but could the problem be the hard movement that JT is creating?

No. It's created by how he naturally throws. Low spin rate, 2-seam, and 11/5 rotation on the ball

hp22
02-19-2020, 09:26 PM
I hope he can get better and he is dominant when healthy. He is a competitor on the mound too.

That said, he is in a bad spot. Mlb won't be drafting someone that has health questions. And he has battled inflammation for what appears to be a second year. Who knows the next path...but I hope he chooses the one best for him.

Coursesuper
02-19-2020, 09:31 PM

Me either.

BeardoMSU
02-19-2020, 09:47 PM
Good lord. We got no food, we got no jobs, our pets heads are falling off!

Harry....I took care of it***

ZedFedder
02-19-2020, 09:49 PM
What I don’t get is the few hating on him. He is a fantastic pitcher who we really need. Hope he gets better

Cloak
02-19-2020, 09:50 PM
Someone really close with Ginn just confirmed to me that he is most likely shutting the season down.

Leroy Jenkins
02-19-2020, 10:01 PM
He has never felt he was above the program. I dont know anything concrete I just heard UCL earlier today, then MRI but no tear and back for SEC play.

I have/had a UCL. It was the damndest thing.... some days I could throw all day and things were fine, some days after 15-20 throws my elbow hurt like a SOB and there was no working around it. I did figure out that the more over the top I throw the better, the closer I got to 3/4 it hurt much more.

HoopsDawg
02-19-2020, 10:05 PM
To me it's simple, if he's 100% healthy, pitch.

If not, shut it down.

We have been extremely careful with JT. Way more careful than Corbin with Kumar.

You have to throw a lot as a pitcher to build a base.

The Federalist Engineer
02-19-2020, 10:16 PM

What I don’t get is the few hating on him. He is a fantastic pitcher who we really need. Hope he gets better

I get that impression too. I wish him the best as a #1 pick in June and I’m ok with just shutting him down and just moving on. Thanks for the good Freshman season.

Im only jealous that Vandy has (always has) a super man ACE and we have to roll into Omaha with gamers like Payton Plumlee, Jon Harden, Jake Billingsley, and Ross Mitchell.

Todd4State
02-19-2020, 10:24 PM

A player that is 28 is more physically mature than a 21 year old. If you look at a typical MLB player that's 30 years old and you stand them next to a SEC player you're going to tell a difference right off the bat with the eye test. Unless it's Bartolo Colon. Plus MLB guys are used to and conditioned to throw longer- which happens over time. We don't pay attention to that as MSU fans because we see college and MLB. We don't see the development and progression that goes on in the minor leagues. In college they only pitch once a week if they are a starting pitcher and the college season is only 56 games during the regular season and if you add the postseason around six-maybe twenty games depending on how far your team goes above that which is still less than half of a MLB season even if your team goes all the way through Omaha and plays for the National Title.

A guy that plays for the M-Braves or Shuckers is throwing probably every 5-6 days and they're going at least 100 pitches usually unless they are getting shelled and they're building up their endurance for MLB if they get a chance to make it.

And MLB has changed a lot too over the years. They used to have four man rotations and some teams have thrown around the idea of even a six man rotation. They're not going too much over 100 pitches a start themselves nowadays. And honestly- some of them maybe even most have had arm trouble in college or the pros at some point in time.

And here's an example- Justin Verlander led MLB with 34 games started last year. A SEC guy is going to start 20-21 starts if they go deep in the postseason.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2020, 10:24 PM

Yeah it's a tough situation Bucky. They love the game of baseball and I'm hoping and praying for the best for JT.

Todd4State
02-19-2020, 10:25 PM
I get that impression too. I wish him the best as a #1 pick in June and I’m ok with just shutting him down and just moving on. Thanks for the good Freshman season.

Im only jealous that Vandy has (always has) a super man ACE and we have to roll into Omaha with gamers like Payton Plumlee, Jon Harden, Jake Billingsley, and Ross Mitchell.

The thing about it is to get guys like that we need a guy like a JT Ginn to do well here. I definitely get the frustration because I share it too.

AmiteDog
02-19-2020, 11:28 PM
Good luck to Mr Glass in MLB

maroonmania
02-19-2020, 11:33 PM

Very low likelihood that he can just shut it down all year and be a first round pick in June. Best of luck to him either way though. We have babied him to death since he's been on campus and if he's still got an arm injury then there just wasn't any way to prevent it. Only thing we might could have done differently would have been to make him a closer to really reduce his innings pitched.

Lord McBuckethead
02-20-2020, 12:48 AM
And make him shut it down almost the entire off season. Arm mechanics are very difficult to correct once you have been pitching for 8-10 years. Either you have the type of arm movement that can literally pitch every other day or you don't. Some guys, even as young high school players can sling it 100 pitches and be good to throw it around after a days rest. When I was younger I ran into a few of these guys. After I pitched, I couldn't lift a milk jug with my right arm for about two days.

MLB guys are fully matured physically, have trained their bodies to handle 4 days rest after pitching 100+ an outing, and some have the genetics needed to just bypass those arm issues.

Seems to me, when I was younger I wouldn't touch a baseball for 5 months after the season. Busy playing different sports, doing different types of motions and different types of damage to my body. Players are too specialized these days. Heck, I would pitch a game and then get pulled and switch places with the shortstop or 3rd baseman and keep going.

Dannyripms
02-20-2020, 01:39 AM
son of a !%#*. I was really hoping he would come in and everything go smoothly for 2 years then he would get drafted #1 overall for our benefit and his. I was hoping it would show that kids can go to college and end up in a better spot in 2 years. He is really jinxed. I hope he gets well soon and is able to finish the season out on a high note.

CadaverDawg
02-20-2020, 10:18 AM
I'm sure JT is extremely disappointed. A guy that forego's that kind of money to come to State definitely wants to help us win. It's not his fault that his arm just won't stay healthy. I'm sure he's doing everything possible to try to make sure it does, but sometimes shit happens. Can't blame him, parents or coaches in this case...it's just bad luck. I hope the best for him, and I am so grateful he chose State. Really feel bad for the kid, because he will feel guilty no matter how far we go if we don't win it all...bc that was his plan when he came here. I just hope his arm heals and he has a killer pro career.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2020, 10:21 AM
I'm sure JT is extremely disappointed. A guy that forego's that kind of money to come to State definitely wants to help us win. It's not his fault that his arm just won't stay healthy. I'm sure he's doing everything possible to try to make sure it does, but sometimes shit happens. Can't blame him, parents or coaches in this case...it's just bad luck. I hope the best for him, and I am so grateful he chose State. Really feel bad for the kid, because he will feel guilty no matter how far we go if we don't win it all...bc that was his plan when he came here. I just hope his arm heals and he has a killer pro career.

Great post, CD.

AlSwearengen
02-20-2020, 10:30 AM
Hell, we need to pass the hat around until we come up with enough to offset whatever signing bonus he loses. Dude took a big risk to play for us and anyone disparaging him needs to check themselves.

I remember back during his junior and senior years there was debate here about where he would be drafted based solely on his arm action and effort. Unfortunately those concerns are real. Pray things work out.

AlSwearengen
02-20-2020, 10:33 AM
Hell, we need to pass the hat around until we come up with enough to offset whatever signing bonus he loses. Dude took a big risk to play for us and anyone disparaging him needs to check themselves.

I remember back during his junior and senior years there was debate here about where he would be drafted based solely on his arm action and effort. Unfortunately those concerns are real. Pray things work out.

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2020, 10:56 AM

Good post. It just sucks that these situations never seem to work out for us.

Malik Newman
Ginn

I guess Jeffrey Simmons worked out.

BB30
02-20-2020, 11:14 AM

It is possible because it becomes a job. 24/7 365 baseball baseball baseball. They are getting coached by the best guys in the business. Their trainers and strength guys are the best in their particular field focusing on baseball players. The support staff around those guys is tremendous.

I was amazed at how much I didn't know going from college to Pro ball as far as taking care of my body etc. It is just a completely different thing from college to pro ball.

msstate7
02-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Good post. It just sucks that these situations never seem to work out for us.

Malik Newman
Ginn

I guess Jeffrey Simmons worked out.

Chris Jones
Reggie perry

confucius say
02-20-2020, 11:19 AM

I'm sure there is considerable insurance in play here. If you turn down 2.5 million, you get insurance on that asset. I wonder if the insurance pays if there is no tear or surgery though?

Coach34
02-20-2020, 11:57 AM
IF he has to have surgery- he will most likely still be a Bulldog in 2022. His career is not over

KOdawg1
02-20-2020, 12:05 PM
IF he has to have surgery- he will most likely still be a Bulldog in 2022. His career is not over
From what it sounds like, it's nothing so bad that wouldn't allow him to come back in a month or two. But it's just a matter of him and his family taking that chance. And I get it, it's a tough decision to make.

But if he wants to have a pro career, he's got to pitch. He jumped in the water. We can all speculate what he should've done out of high school, but he's in now. So all he can do is swim.

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2020, 12:13 PM
But if he wants to have a pro career, he's got to pitch. He jumped in the water. We can all speculate what he should've done out of high school, but he's in now. So all he can do is swim.

This

Not pitching and going high in the draft is not an option.

If he wants to make good money on the draft, he's got to pitch for MSU.

I could see him taking this year off and pitching for MSU next year, but just taking the year off and expecting someone to pay him 7 figured Isnt realistic

The Federalist Engineer
02-20-2020, 01:25 PM
This

I could see him taking this year off and pitching for MSU next year, but just taking the year off and expecting someone to pay him 7 figured Isnt realistic

Drew Rassmussen of Oregon State only pitched 37 innings in final year before being drafted as a #1. This was 2017.

Rassmussen was their closer until he felt stronger and started games towards the end of the year. I know there is a huge difference between pitching 37 innings inclusive of Omaha to just 3 innings vs Wright State. But conceptually, he could rest and come back for the last 10 SEC series and then the Road to Omaha. That would match Rassmussen.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=188180

State82
02-20-2020, 01:25 PM
This

Absolutely. He's kind of in a Catch 22 situation but there is little that can be done about it at this juncture except get whatever it is fixed and go out and pitch. Whenever that may be.

StarkVegasSteve
02-20-2020, 01:30 PM
From what it sounds like, it's nothing so bad that wouldn't allow him to come back in a month or two. But it's just a matter of him and his family taking that chance. And I get it, it's a tough decision to make.

If Ginn agrees to come back then he needs to be our closer. An inning won't overwork his arm and we still get to have him in pressure situations. Also, shores up the closer issue.

basedog
02-20-2020, 01:32 PM
Well Ginn did turn down top draft money to play at Msu, no reason he want continue his journey at Msu.
I wish him all the best and pray he gets his money and a chance in MLB.

It's baseball, pitchers are kinda like running backs in football, most are short lived at the next level.

MaroonFlounder
02-20-2020, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure why Ginn wasn't a bullpen guy to begin with. Was it just because he was a 3-pitch guy? Someone said he never threw a ton of innings in HS. Why make him a starter? Did someone drop the ball on evaluation?

Commercecomet24
02-20-2020, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure why Ginn wasn't a bullpen guy to begin with. Was it just because he was a 3-pitch guy? Someone said he never threw a ton of innings in HS. Why make him a starter? Did someone drop the ball on evaluation?

MLB doesn't pay big money or draft pitchers early to be closers. You have to be a starter to get the big check, that's why they did it.

Avelso
02-20-2020, 02:49 PM
He has the insurance they give but I have no idea how that works.

Todd4State
02-20-2020, 03:36 PM

Unless I'm mistaken he is also a Boras client/advisee so he has that form of insurance as well.

HereComesTheSpiral
02-20-2020, 03:38 PM

If you take the money you can never play again.

starkvegasdawg
02-20-2020, 04:39 PM
Just saw he's officially ruled out for this weekend, but they're making it sound like it's more precautionary and not a season ending type deal. Maybe there's hope?

Todd4State
02-20-2020, 05:35 PM
Just saw he's officially ruled out for this weekend, but they're making it sound like it's more precautionary and not a season ending type deal. Maybe there's hope?

What I'm hearing is inflammation. The problem is this is the second year in a row he has had inflammation.

Randolph Dupree
02-20-2020, 06:30 PM
What I'm hearing is inflammation. The problem is this is the second year in a row he has had inflammation.

It is inflammation but sounds like whatever they thought the cause was last year was misdiagnosed. So maybe there's something else??? I don't know how that works but maybe someone else does.

Leroy Jenkins
02-20-2020, 06:31 PM
I am curious what his post-game treatment is. If he came off the mound good last outing, and suddenly couldn't go during his Tuesday bullpen due to residual soreness from Friday, it doesn't sound like a structural issue.

Coach34
02-20-2020, 06:54 PM
Here's the problem:

He didnt pitch last Summer.
He barely threw in the Fall
1 start into the Spring and he is being shutdown for an undetermined amount of time.

It sounds like they are delaying the inevitable. Had he had surgery in July- he would be 6 months into rehab already.

confucius say
02-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Can he just go ahead and have the surgery without it being torn?

basedog
02-20-2020, 07:52 PM
Here's the problem:

1 start into the Spring and he is being shutdown for an undetermined amount of time.

It sounds like they are delaying the inevitable. Had he had surgery in July- he would be 6 months into rehab already.

Doesn't sound encouraging for this year. He had a long rest and obviously that hasn't solved his problem.

Wish the best for Ginn, at least we have time to figure our 3 man starting pitching rotation.

shoeless joe
02-20-2020, 08:07 PM
Can he just go ahead and have the surgery without it being torn?

Yes. We just had a kid do this. Quicker recovery BUT it’s still arm surgery so no walk in the park

maroonmania
02-20-2020, 08:19 PM
Yes. We just had a kid do this. Quicker recovery BUT it’s still arm surgery so no walk in the park

If there is no apparent structural damage, what is being operated on?

Coach34
02-20-2020, 09:15 PM
If there is no apparent structural damage, what is being operated on?

If there is no apparent structural damage- why wasnt he allowed to pitch in a Summer League or in the Fall?

Todd4State
02-20-2020, 11:00 PM
If there is no apparent structural damage- why wasnt he allowed to pitch in a Summer League or in the Fall?

The whole point of him not pitching was so he could get stronger so this wouldn't happen again. Obvious hasn't worked. If there is nothing there no MD is going to operate on him unless he is a quack. If there was something wrong and the MD found it JT and his family wouldn't delay having surgery I'm sure. There is no point in delaying the inevitable and no MD would recommend delaying surgery if that was the case.

wasabaka
02-21-2020, 12:55 AM
Here's the problem

You, quite literally, have no idea what you are talking about. Once aGAIN.

msstate7
02-21-2020, 06:52 AM
So, do we have the pitching to compete for the sec now?

MSUdawg67
02-21-2020, 07:29 AM
Lot of speculation on here but I’m not sure anyone really has any facts other than the young man is being held out today with what Lemonis describes as “soreness”. Maybe we should hold off until we actually know what diagnosis the orthopedic surgeons find.

dstatechamps
02-21-2020, 08:21 AM
Lot of speculation on here but I?m not sure anyone really has any facts other than the young man is being held out today with what Lemonis describes as ?soreness?. Maybe we should hold off until we actually know what diagnosis the orthopedic surgeons find.

You can't be on this here message board using a logical thought process. We are State fans. The sky is falling at all times!*****

msstate7
02-21-2020, 08:29 AM
Lot of speculation on here but I’m not sure anyone really has any facts other than the young man is being held out today with what Lemonis describes as “soreness”. Maybe we should hold off until we actually know what diagnosis the orthopedic surgeons find.

Actually, I think there are some that know. Homedawg is one, so I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you

smootness
02-21-2020, 10:06 AM
Here's the problem:

This is pretty much where I am. Not so much on thinking they should have already had surgery, but just on the fact that it doesn't look real good for the possibility of us leaning on him at all this year. They've handled him with kid gloves since late last year and still are, and he is still not 100%.

Coach34
02-21-2020, 06:36 PM
You, quite literally, have no idea what you are talking about. Once aGAIN.

What was incorrect?

Did he pitch last summer under an assumed name?
Did he throw alot in the Fall at 2am so nobody would see?
He missed his start today and I'll be very shocked if he pitches next weekend.

So- where is my "no idea" incorrect?

basedog
02-21-2020, 08:03 PM
He is having surgery.

Coach34
02-21-2020, 09:53 PM
He is having surgery.

I understand the PR side- but at the end of the day- you cant spin this one. See him in 2022 when he helps lead us to Omaha that season

Homedawg
02-21-2020, 10:46 PM
He is having surgery.

Hmmm shocking development... not dogging you.

maroonmania
02-21-2020, 11:08 PM
I understand the PR side- but at the end of the day- you cant spin this one. See him in 2022 when he helps lead us to Omaha that season

Dang, its gonna take him 2 years before he can pitch again?

Todd4State
02-22-2020, 02:12 AM

He should be back in a year if it's Tommy John surgery.

The Federalist Engineer
02-22-2020, 10:43 AM

Ethan small had surgery in 2016, sat out 2017, pitched again 2018

Keegan James had surgery 2016 (February), sat out 2017, pitched again in 2018

Madisonmd
02-22-2020, 05:48 PM
Often is a 16 month recovery

Joebob
02-22-2020, 06:19 PM
He should be back in a year if it's Tommy John surgery.

True, but it usually takes two years to get back to where you were. The good thing is, many pitchers actually throw harder than before the injury once they’re completely recovered.

Madisonmd
02-22-2020, 07:11 PM
True, but it usually takes two years to get back to where you were. The good thing is, many pitchers actually throw harder than before the injury once they’re completely recovered.

Not true! A significant percentage never make it back to preinjury competitive level

Todd4State
02-22-2020, 09:14 PM
Not true! A significant percentage never make it back to preinjury competitive level

According to studies the vast majority make it back and make a full recovery. However if you have to have a second Tommy John surgery the odds of recovering from a second surgery are significantly worse.

Todd4State
02-22-2020, 09:15 PM
True, but it usually takes two years to get back to where you were. The good thing is, many pitchers actually throw harder than before the injury once they?re completely recovered.

Agree. The good news for Ginn IMO is he can medically redshirt this year and has the time to recover. He may be Ethan Small 2.0.