PDA

View Full Version : Rumor re. 1st Game

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2020, 12:08 PM
Rumor going around SPS that the first football game is going to be a Thursday night game. We'd torpedo attendance if we did this unless it was a late game.

Todd4State
02-18-2020, 12:17 PM
I kind of figured since someone floated the How would you feel about New Mexico being on Thursday hypothetical on some MSU message board.

Cooterpoot
02-18-2020, 12:20 PM
I'm ok with it, because a lot of people around the country will watch a new Mike Leach team and nobody is going to that game anyway.

RiverCityDawg
02-18-2020, 12:26 PM
Rumor going around SPS that the first football game is going to be a Thursday night game. We'd torpedo attendance if we did this unless it was a late game.

Night game on Thursday to start the season >>>>>>>>>>> 11am or 2pm game on Saturday to start the season.

Cooler temps, more time to prep for game 2, more eyes on our new offense, get to binge watch games from home on Saturday without missing the State game. So many benefits.

Most people that can afford to go to the games can figure out a way to take off early on Thursday and/or take off on Friday. It will in no way torpedo attendance and it will be better for the vast majority involved.

BulldogDX55
02-18-2020, 12:29 PM
Night game on Thursday to start the season >>>>>>>>>>> 11am or 2pm game on Saturday to start the season.

Cooler temps, more time to prep for game 2, more eyes on our new offense, get to binge watch games from home on Saturday without missing the State game. So many benefits.

Most people that can afford to go to the games can figure out a way to take off early on Thursday and/or take off on Friday. It will in no way torpedo attendance and it will be better for the vast majority involved.

All of this.

It will be a bit inconvenient for the fans, though attendance shouldn't be bad because of the excitement. However, it will be great for the program and provide a lot of exposure we wouldn't otherwise have received.

R2Dawg
02-18-2020, 12:29 PM
Well pros and cons. Good exposure but normal fan attendance may suffer. Screws up a long holiday weekend trip to Starkville too. Oh, well.

confucius say
02-18-2020, 12:44 PM
Yes please

gravedigger
02-18-2020, 12:48 PM

Great post

RougeDawg
02-18-2020, 12:48 PM
I kinda like this to promote our new style. Add in a holiday the following Monday, this will allow some people to attend the game and take a small vacation afterward. It always seems like the Labor Day weekend game crowds are impacted by end of summer vacations so crowd may not be any different.

deadheaddawg
02-18-2020, 01:08 PM
I'm ok with it, because a lot of people around the country will watch a new Mike Leach team and nobody is going to that game anyway.

You dont think anyone is going to the first game with Leach?

lol. ok

Lord McBuckethead
02-18-2020, 01:13 PM

100%. We would be showcasing our new team, new regime, and new attitude on opening night. It is up to us to pack it out. 4 day weekend. Nice.

Lord McBuckethead
02-18-2020, 01:19 PM
Well pros and cons. Good exposure but normal fan attendance may suffer. Screws up a long holiday weekend trip to Starkville too. Oh, well.

Doesn't screw up the long weekend trip to Starkville, if anything it gives everyone an excuse to make it longer.
This also gives you the opportunity to come in Wednesday night, go to the game, stay Thursday, and then go some beach somewhere through Tuesday morning. Double holiday if you will.

Todd4State
02-18-2020, 01:24 PM
I'm fine with it but I don't want MSU going back to the days where we played two games or so on Thursday.

ShotgunDawg
02-18-2020, 01:39 PM
This is great.

Not a big fan of Thursday SEC conference games but:

- Non Conference
- Cooler temps
- Chance to showcase new staff and build energy.

Is this as good as an 8:00 Saturday night start? No, but it's our next best situation.

I'll take it.

Cooterpoot
02-18-2020, 01:40 PM

lol. ok

Not a full house vs NM. Not close.

ShotgunDawg
02-18-2020, 01:43 PM

Wouldn't have been a full house for an 11:00 AM or mid afternoon 100 degree game either.

confucius say
02-18-2020, 01:43 PM

Yea but you said "nobody is going to that game anyway." If the over under is 55k, I'm going over.

msu15
02-18-2020, 02:04 PM

Care to wager?

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2020, 02:14 PM
If the kick was 7 PM or later I think people would show up. Any earlier and people aren't going to want to have to haul ass to Starkville just to miss the 1st quarter waiting to get in the game.

Cooterpoot
02-18-2020, 02:25 PM
Yea but you said "nobody is going to that game anyway." If the over under is 55k, I'm going over.

I'm sure announced attendance will be 50K. People aren't going to fill up the stadium for an 11 AM game after a Friday night football game, when it's 100 degrees. I don't care if Saban is coaching.

shoeless joe
02-18-2020, 02:26 PM
I'm fine with it but I don't want MSU going back to the days where we played two games or so on Thursday.

I like Thursday games. Both as a tv viewer and as a season ticket holder.

Pinto
02-18-2020, 02:37 PM
I know this is an old article but MSU needs a GA to scrub their webiste:

https://hailstate.com/news/2019/8/7/2020-football-schedule-announced.aspx

This is the first place google took me to when I searched up the next years football schedule.

ScoobaDawg
02-18-2020, 03:26 PM
I know this is an old article but MSU needs a GA to scrub their webiste:

https://hailstate.com/news/2019/8/7/2020-football-schedule-announced.aspx

This is the first place google took me to when I searched up the next years football schedule.

Meh... it was still the greatest schedule release tweet ever. We don't have to scrub every mention of Joe in history.

Jarius
02-18-2020, 03:56 PM

There will be very few seats without rear ends in them against NM State. This is the most excited our fanbase has been about football in a very long time.

Turfdawg67
02-18-2020, 04:16 PM

lol. ok

IKR... I'm thinking of making the 6 hr trip, even if it's Thurs!

R2Dawg
02-18-2020, 04:18 PM
Doesn't screw up the long weekend trip to Starkville, if anything it gives everyone an excuse to make it longer.
This also gives you the opportunity to come in Wednesday night, go to the game, stay Thursday, and then go some beach somewhere through Tuesday morning. Double holiday if you will.

I guess it doesn't for those who don't have to work for a living. I can't take off 6 days every time MSU plays. Not to mention taking two trips in one week can get expensive.

I can live with it just making observation it has pros and cons.

R2Dawg
02-18-2020, 04:19 PM
IKR... I'm thinking of making the 6 hr trip, even if it's Thurs!

If that happens I will certainly consider it.

wild_dawg
02-18-2020, 04:26 PM
Selfishly, I'd rather it be Saturday. Would be a lot easier than taking the day off. Regardless I'm excited for this new era of Bulldog Football!

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2020, 04:30 PM
I guess it doesn't for those who don't have to work for a living. I can't take off 6 days every time MSU plays. Not to mention taking two trips in one week can get expensive.

It definitely has pro and cons. I always take off that Friday for the first game so work the next day isn't a factor. But I, like most others, will have to work all day Thursday so the game would need to be after 7 to make sure people are able to get there on time. It also is one less gameday everyone gets to tailgate. Also, I don't think it'll be a sellout if it's on a Thursday night. You'll have 50-55K, but most families with school age children aren't taking the family to a Thursday night football game with school the next day. There's definite pros to it, such as being the only marquee game for the day, your coaches can recruit on Friday, and you get an extra days rest for NC State. But to pretend there's not definite drawbacks to playing this on a Thursday is foolish.

Jack Lambert
02-18-2020, 04:36 PM
I will be there.

Jarius
02-18-2020, 04:57 PM
It definitely has pro and cons. I always take off that Friday for the first game so work the next day isn't a factor. But I, like most others, will have to work all day Thursday so the game would need to be after 7 to make sure people are able to get there on time. It also is one less gameday everyone gets to tailgate. Also, I don't think it'll be a sellout if it's on a Thursday night. You'll have 50-55K, but most families with school age children aren't taking the family to a Thursday night football game with school the next day. There's definite pros to it, such as being the only marquee game for the day, your coaches can recruit on Friday, and you get an extra days rest for NC State. But to pretend there's not definite drawbacks to playing this on a Thursday is foolish.

There are drawbacks for certain individuals. There are no drawbacks for the school. The crowd will be larger for a longer period of time than it would be on a Saturday in early September at 11 am.

MaroonFlounder
02-18-2020, 04:57 PM
The best thing about a Thurs. night game. The Student section will be FULL and ROWDY!! The ENTIRE GAME!!

Sign me up. I live 1.5 hours away but can leave work early.

Coach Leach's debut in Maroon! It can't get here fast enough!

Mobile Bay
02-18-2020, 05:41 PM
It is my understanding it was Jackie Sherrill who first floated the idea to ESPN of a Thursday game to start the season. That got in the national spotlight on prime time TV for the first time ever. And that was the beginning of where we are today.

As such, I am all in on this. It's far better for recruiting to be on ESPN at 7PM Thursday, than ESPN at 11AM Saturday or ESPN U at 6PM Saturday.

IMissJack
02-18-2020, 06:56 PM

Sux for us out of staters...

TrapGame
02-18-2020, 07:14 PM
Before Labor Day Weekend. The first college game. The only comp would be preseason NFL. Mike Leach's first game as HC at State.

I can see this being damn near full for a Thursday night game and really good ratings for ESPN. Good way to get the Leach brand going.

Coach34
02-18-2020, 08:14 PM
Thursday night is much better for us than being buried with an 11am to open. Love the move

Maroonthirteen
02-18-2020, 08:42 PM
There are drawbacks for certain individuals. There are no drawbacks for the school. The crowd will be larger for a longer period of time than it would be on a Saturday in early September at 11 am.

I find it interesting everyone assumes we would be the 11am game that Saturday. But.... none the less .... the bold is why I will make a decision to not attend based on the convenience and comfort of me and me alone. College football and Mississippi State have whored themselves to tv and shoe companies. The school will do what tv and adidas tells them to do and the fans be damn.

Maybe folks from PullMan to miami will tune Into this game. But John State fan for 3 hours or more away will be put out. Starkville businesses will probably suffer a few lost dollars. But..... TV writes the biggest check. That's what is important.

maroonmania
02-18-2020, 10:16 PM

No way will it be better for the vast majority involved as for most fans it will require taking a full 2 days off from work (if you want to do any pre-game tailgating). Fans that really want to be there will make it work and it is definitely more enjoyable on a Thursday night rather than a hot September Saturday afternoon but no way will this not be a big inconvenience for most fans. And its not just about work, what are parents who come to the game that bring their school age kids supposed to do? Pull their kids out of school for 2 days? There will be a number of fans that want to be there for the opening of the Leach regime that can't make it on a Thursday night. College football was made for Saturday for a reason.

MaroonFlounder
02-18-2020, 10:43 PM
No way will it be better for the vast majority involved as for most fans it will require taking a full 2 days off from work (if you want to do any pre-game tailgating). Fans that really want to be there will make it work and it is definitely more enjoyable on a Thursday night rather than a hot September Saturday afternoon but no way will this not be a big inconvenience for most fans. And its not just about work, what are parents who come to the game that bring their school age kids supposed to do? Pull their kids out of school for 2 days? There will be a number of fans that want to be there for the opening of the Leach regime that can't make it on a Thursday night. College football was made for Saturday for a reason.

Unfortunately, we live in Missi-freakin-sippi. It will be 101 degrees in the shade with old folks passing out 1st Saturday in Sept at 11 or 1pm. And don't kid yourself, TV won't put New Mexico on TV for a prime time evening game.

DownwardDawg
02-18-2020, 11:41 PM
Thursday night is much better for us than being buried with an 11am to open. Love the move

Agree. Perfect way to start the season!!!

Lord McBuckethead
02-19-2020, 01:51 AM

First, who said anything about taking 6 days off every game. This is 1 game, its a holiday weekend, and it is the home opener with Mike Leach as HBC. So if you work a normal job, you only have to take off Thursday and Friday and your not expected to be back at work until Tuesday.

Note: I live in Starkville, so I am going to be partying balls out that entire week, either way, but I would rather play prime time Thursday versus 11 a.m. - 2:30 pm start time on Saturday.

Todd4State
02-19-2020, 03:04 AM
I'm not super wild about playing on Thursday but I get it after having to sit through USM and K-State last year. Doesn't totally surprise me that the MSU would push for that given the complaints last year about heat and the fact that it's Leach's first game. As MSU fans we just need to accept that we are going to do gimmicky things from time to time like this and playing the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving. I can do a Thursday game once every 5-10 years though and especially if it's not a conference game. About ten years ago we played way too many games on Thursday and honestly it was a little over the top at that time. As long as we don't go back to that I can deal with this fine. I just wish MSU would throw us a bone and give us an interlocking MSU helmet once a game instead of the LT forced M-State logo. And I wish they would quit blowing smoke up our ass about marketing and branding when people get us mixed up with Ole Miss even more than ever it seems like. Rant over about that.

I'll say this before someone posts the "aren't you overreacting" posts- I did like playing in NOLA last year to open the season. It gave us essentially another neutral at best/home game in addition to the seven home games we have currently. What sucks is it would be nice if Jackson had a functioning game day experience at the Vet- which yes, is a dump but I could tolerate us playing a game with a Sun Belt team there as a one off- not at the expense of a home game in Starkville of course- as opposed to going to freaking Troy, Alabama. But I get why we don't and won't- parking and traffic flow is atrocious there. They wouldn't be able to handle the 60K that would probably go. I'd almost want an 11 AM game so I could get home by 10 PM that night with the traffic situation. Of course Jackson has more pressing issues than a neutral site MSU football game at the moment too.

Anyway- I do give Cohen kudos for hiring Leach and Leach bringing in Arnett. That has me real excited and I think it's a Jackie type hire and maybe/probably even more high profile. I saw a thing on Twitter where Leach was hanging out with Willie Nelson. The football coach for MSU was hanging out with a country music legend. THAT is going to be better marketing than any Thursday, neutral site, special uniform, LT logo, etc. than anything. I'll trade a Thursday night game for what I think is coming which is a lot of fun and memorable football days ahead.

Cooterpoot
02-19-2020, 05:34 AM
If we're going to play shitty OOC games, it might as well be on a Thursday night.

Tbonewannabe
02-19-2020, 07:01 AM
I like it for the first game but into the season just say no to Thursday games.

Jarius
02-19-2020, 07:44 AM
I find it interesting everyone assumes we would be the 11am game that Saturday. But.... none the less .... the bold is why I will make a decision to not attend based on the convenience and comfort of me and me alone. College football and Mississippi State have whored themselves to tv and shoe companies. The school will do what tv and adidas tells them to do and the fans be damn.

Maybe folks from PullMan to miami will tune Into this game. But John State fan for 3 hours or more away will be put out. Starkville businesses will probably suffer a few lost dollars. But..... TV writes the biggest check. That's what is important.

Well unless you decide to just eat your tickets and not sell them, there will be plenty of people willing to take your spot at the game. Being game 1 of the Leach era people are going to show up in larger numbers, especially for a night game.

Jarius
02-19-2020, 07:46 AM

There will be no less tailgating on Thursday than there would be for an 11 am game on a Saturday.

timotheus
02-19-2020, 07:52 AM
Just win the first 4 and then see what time slot the A&M games gets on TV. problem solved. EMCC could beat N Mexico and we'd be better suited playing a team that might actually bring a crowd with them.

Todd4State
02-19-2020, 08:32 AM
Just win the first 4 and then see what time slot the A&M games gets on TV. problem solved. EMCC could beat N Mexico and we'd be better suited playing a team that might actually bring a crowd with them.

If we win our first four that game is going to be crazy.

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2020, 08:33 AM

https://hailstate.com/images/2016/7/7/9_12_15_LSU_Team_Entrance_9_.JPG

Hot Rock
02-19-2020, 11:00 AM
Any day of the week night game in Sept >>>>>>>>>>than any day game on Saturday in Mississippi

Sucks for some for will be better for some... Those that do go will enjoy themselves much more!

Maroonthirteen
02-19-2020, 02:06 PM
Well unless you decide to just eat your tickets and not sell them, there will be plenty of people willing to take your spot at the game. Being game 1 of the Leach era people are going to show up in larger numbers, especially for a night game.

I believe you are right. State fans seem to be excited about Leach. I believe even if it had been played at 11am, the stadium would have been near capacity.