PDA

View Full Version : 3-3-5 defense blast from the past

Todd4State
02-17-2020, 11:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ky1Cm0bD8Q

Joe Lee Dunn's masterpiece. Shutout Ole Miss where he was the head coach just two years prior and his defense accounted for two TD's and a safety which was basically all the scoring in this game. I was there that day and it was my first Egg Bowl in Oxford. The field was a mud pit. And yes, this was the game where Brad Lott yelled some not so nice things at our players.

Todd4State
02-17-2020, 11:29 PM
What is missing from this video is the 9 sacks that we had that day. Greg Favors looked like Lawrence Taylor in maroon and white wearing number 56 and living in the Ole Miss backfield all day.

Games like this are what excites me about us running the 3-3-5 defense.

TUSK
02-18-2020, 12:17 AM
Todd, I like the idea of the 3,3,5 vs today's pass happy offenses. how do you think it'll set up vs a team that RTGDF?

Or will y'all just walk up a hybrid OLB (Jack) and a Safety/OLB type for an (effectively) 4,3,4 look?

msu15
02-18-2020, 01:52 AM
Todd, I like the idea of the 3,3,5 vs today's pass happy offenses. how do you think it'll set up vs a team that RTGDF?

Or will y'all just walk up a hybrid OLB (Jack) and a Safety/OLB type for an (effectively) 4,3,4 look?
I believe the latter. I can't remember the exact number, but his defense last year had at least 1 linebacker blitzing on the majority of snaps.

Skydawg1
02-18-2020, 02:05 AM
It was "us against the world" back then. Would love for us to return to those days.

Maroonthirteen
02-18-2020, 07:44 AM
Rained cats and dogs that day. I stood on the top row, about row 40 I think, east side. I was soaked to the bone after that game.

But i remember Sluder and Greg Favors having a big day. Paul Lacoste...... fun game. Tuberville wasn't happy. Hahahaha.

OLJWales
02-18-2020, 08:02 AM
I believe the latter. I can't remember the exact number, but his defense last year had at least 1 linebacker blitzing on the majority of snaps.

I'm thinking that particular LB will need to be one of the fastest and smartest on the field. Roaming around pre-snap looking for the best and most vulnerable place to attack.

FISHDAWG
02-18-2020, 08:04 AM
It was "us against the world" back then. Would love for us to return to those days.

and those uniforms as well

Todd4State
02-18-2020, 08:40 AM

I'm not 100% sure but my guess is we'll just walk up somebody. Maybe use Aaron Brule a little more.

Thick
02-18-2020, 09:18 AM
I was there too, and here?s a little trivia from game as well. That was the day Brad Lott cussed Dotson and called him the ?n? word in front of God and everyone. At halftime there was a FG kicking contest with a cash giveaway, and Denny Howell, MSU grad, had been selected to participate. He kicked a 40 yard FG barefoot in that slop!

Ari Gold
02-18-2020, 09:40 AM
I was there too, and here?s a little trivia from game as well. That was the day Brad Lott cussed Dotson and called him the ?n? word in front of God and everyone. At halftime there was a FG kicking contest with a cash giveaway, and Denny Howell, MSU grad, had been selected to participate. He kicked a 40 yard FG barefoot in that slop!

Brad Lott..
a true Rebel and confederate legend.. OM at their finest

R2Dawg
02-18-2020, 12:25 PM
What is missing from this video is the 9 sacks that we had that day. Greg Favors looked like Lawrence Taylor in maroon and white wearing number 56 and living in the Ole Miss backfield all day.

Games like this are what excites me about us running the 3-3-5 defense.

Greg Favors was nasty off the edge. We get the dudes like we had back then, the 3-3-5 can be dominant in any era. The Dog safety/LB is the player that swings the whole D. Ashley Cooper. It is a special player to play Dog safety.

R2Dawg
02-18-2020, 12:27 PM

Not sure what we'll do now but back then it was the Dog safety/LB. This is a special talent that can defend about anything. Great athletes, smart, fast. We've had some that fit the mold since those days playing a standard D. Matt Wells is one that fits the build, Nickoe Whitley another.

IMissJack
02-18-2020, 06:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ky1Cm0bD8Q

Joe Lee Dunn's masterpiece. Shutout Ole Miss where he was the head coach just two years prior and his defense accounted for two TD's and a safety which was basically all the scoring in this game. I was there that day and it was my first Egg Bowl in Oxford. The field was a mud pit. And yes, this was the game where Brad Lott yelled some not so nice things at our players.

That drainage system at the Vaught was something else...

BuckyIsAB****
02-18-2020, 09:45 PM

The answer would be to play 2 4is a 0 nose and walk down 2 heavy 5s plus sit that middle safety flat footed and let him sink in the box like Saban does his safeties

OLJWales
02-19-2020, 07:09 AM
That drainage system at the Vaught was something else...

not only are we experts at predicting rain, but what do do with it once it happens. OM? not so much.