PDA

View Full Version : Miss State Women's Basketball (Lineup)

jdelta02
02-17-2020, 05:15 AM
Neither one of Miss. State's 2 backcourt players is a threat from the perimeter. Scouting report for defending Miss. State...zone, sagging techniques. Insert Aliyah Matharu (very good scorer and 3 point threat) into the starting lineup, and move Jordan Danberry to point guard or bring her off the bench. Also, possibly go with Xaria Wiggins in the front court.

At this point.....
- Myah Taylor/J. Danberry/J. Mingo-Young
- Aliyah Matharu
- Xaria Wiggins, possibly A. Espinoza-Hunter
- Rickea Jackson
- Jessika Carter

Another option is to go big lineup....with Yemiyah Morris at the 5 and Jessika Carter at the 4 spot. Also, Coach Schaefer has already indicated that he would like to move Carter to the 4 next season. Currently trying to get at least one of the other post players ready to play beside her in that type lineup.

munk_munk92
02-17-2020, 05:49 AM
We need that 3 spot to be a good shooter. I don't know if we have that on the team right now. Next year Madison may be the one.

maroonmania
02-17-2020, 07:39 AM
Our backcourt was really bad yesterday. For the great game Taylor had a week ago against A&M, she was really bad yesterday and missed about 5 or 6 layups to go along with no shots from the outside. Also had a few silly turnovers. And nobody else played a decent game from the perimeter either. I think we are going to have to work AEH into the lineup at times to at least give the threat of an outside shot. Our offense is REALLY struggling right now. Four of our last eight quarters we have scored 14 points or less and two of those have been less than 10 points. Defenses are sagging back on us knowing we can't shoot from the perimeter and yesterday we missed a ton of shots right at the basket as well. Vic and staff can do a lot but he can't put the ball in the hoop for them.

Cooterpoot
02-17-2020, 09:17 AM
UK out hustled us and was too physical for our backcourt. Refs also let them beat us up and push us around. We're not a final 4 team this year. Sweet 16 and possibly Elite 8 with a good draw but we just aren't as good this year with all the newbies and nobody to knock down shots. Jackson had a bad day and she and Carter are our offense for the most part.

Dawg2003
02-17-2020, 09:46 AM
Danberry has also faded down the stretch. Not sure what's up with her, but she's not giving us a lot of offensive production either.

Irondawg
02-17-2020, 10:10 AM
We are just a weird team this year. We’ve got a lot of one trick ponies right now and we haven’t found a rotation to fit the pieces together to be consistent.

Several of us had been promoting Danberry at PG all year but if it hasn’t happened by now it’s not going to happen. Vic clearly values Myahs defense above the offensive improvement we’d have with AEH or Matharu on the floor with Danberry.

I won’t be surprised if we make it to the elite 8 and I won’t be surprised if we lose as early as the round of 32.

maroonmania
02-17-2020, 10:38 AM
We are just a weird team this year. We’ve got a lot of one trick ponies right now and we haven’t found a rotation to fit the pieces together to be consistent.

Several of us had been promoting Danberry at PG all year but if it hasn’t happened by now it’s not going to happen. Vic clearly values Myahs defense above the offensive improvement we’d have with AEH or Matharu on the floor with Danberry.

I won’t be surprised if we make it to the elite 8 and I won’t be surprised if we lose as early as the round of 32.

I wouldn't mind trying Danberry at PG. I know Taylor had the great 2nd half against A&M but generally I'm not a big fan of hers. She is very small and normally is not a scorer. Danberry has had her own problems lately though.

Dawg2003
02-17-2020, 10:41 AM
Danberry always has wild turnovers, so I don't know how good she would be as a PG.

jdelta02
02-17-2020, 11:18 AM
Need at least 1 perimeter shooter in that backcourt. Also, the 3 spot needs to be a perimeter threat. Teams like Oregon, South Carolina, Baylor, UConn, Stanford, ect...all have at least one solid perimeter threat in the backcourt . Neither Myah Taylor nor Jordan Danberry is much of a perimeter threat. Also, Taylor has shown limited in her ablity to score offensively. These things help make the team much easier to defend. Defenses are leaving these 2 out there, clogging the lanes, doubling other players, ect

Aliyah Matharu- insert at the1 or 2 spot, let her play through mistakes. Coaching staff has been snatching her out of games quickly (mistake or 2). Move Danberry to the point (example...Ty Harris from South Carolina) or bring her off the bench. Consider giving more time to Wiggins and Espinoza-Hunter. Possibly go with one of these 2 as a starter as well. Guards like Danberry can penetrate, and kick out to these type players and Rickea Jackson, pick and roll action, ect.

Other option....go big with Yemiyah Morris at the 5, Jessika Carter at the 4, Rickea Jackson at the 3, Aliyah Matharu or possibly A. Espinoza-Hunter at the 3 with Jackson at the 2, and Danberry/Taylor/Mingo-Young at the 1. Matharu as an option at the 1 as well.

R2Dawg
02-17-2020, 01:05 PM
Neither one of Miss. State's 2 backcourt players is a threat from the perimeter. Scouting report for defending Miss. State...zone, sagging techniques. Insert Aliyah Matharu (very good scorer and 3 point threat) into the starting lineup, and move Jordan Danberry to point guard or bring her off the bench. Also, possibly go with Xaria Wiggins in the front court.

At this point.....
- Myah Taylor/J. Danberry/J. Mingo-Young
- Aliyah Matharu
- Xaria Wiggins, possibly A. Espinoza-Hunter
- Rickea Jackson
- Jessika Carter

Another option is to go big lineup....with Yemiyah Morris at the 5 and Jessika Carter at the 4 spot. Also, Coach Schaefer has already indicated that he would like to move Carter to the 4 next season. Currently trying to get at least one of the other post players ready to play beside her in that type lineup.

I'm not sure the best lineup but we ain't playing the best lineup enough. I can see what produces and what doesn't. Agree in thought that we must have a 3 pt threat on floor. Right now we have Bibby, Hunter as main ones. Matharu is pretty good and Wiggins on and off. Bibby is a liability in most other areas though.

Wiggins needs more PT due to her versatility, length on both ends. I play her over Bibby for sure. I play Hunter a lot more. She has proven she can stroke it if she gets a crack. She doesn't hurt us anymore anywhere else that others than play a lot more minuets.

Carter has the range to play the 4 and she would get the nice mid range shot over a smaller player all day. I am not opposed to player her with Morris some. I'd also play Danberry at the point more. Her drive and dish is her greatest advantage. Her and Spoon are in a similar O funk right now. We must get them out of it to be successful.

Jackson is such an on/off player. You saw her yesterday turn it on in 4th. Almost like she played mad but it worked. She was not in game at all till 4th.

I like Taylor but she has had as many bad games as good ones.

Agree with others that this has been a weird year; we just don't seem comfortable at all with lineups, chemistry, etc. Carter has been about the only constant all year dominating inside. Carter is the most improved player in SEC and maybe in nation. Amazing her jump from last year.

jdelta02
02-17-2020, 09:16 PM
Would definitely move Matharu into the lineup at the 2 spot , let her play through mistakes. Having a perimeter threat at this position helps open things up in the lanes for the guards, everyone. Including, helping open things up for Danberry to drive, make things happen. Move Danberry to the point or bring her off the bench. Keep the ball mostly in her hands when she's in the game. Similar to how Miss. State used Jamont Gordon. He turned the ball over a good bit at times....but helped Miss. State's men make the NCAA Tourney, and nearly beat Memphis with Derrick Rose.

My opinion, the lineup that Coach Schaefer has been using is unbalanced, and has him basically handicapping his team. At this point, continued hard pressed to beat the really good teams, and the better coaching schemes with this group....but always possible. Would move Matharu and Wiggins in with the starters, possibly put Espinoza-Hunter more in the mix...if she's on top of her game. Can run some plays for her, including some pick and roll action. Use Chloe Bibby more as a rebounder and designated shooter, find ways to help get her open looks from the perimeter as well.

Again, let Danberry dominate the ball when she's in the game, flank her with a 2 guard like Matharu (perimeter/scoring threat). Don't stress over a few turnovers with these 2, just try to keep them at a minimum. This offense has potential to be a sleeping giant.

Irondawg
02-18-2020, 12:31 AM
Vic will never, ever, ever do this but this team is built to play zone defense. Bibby really struggles to man up somebody but she's good at help and is a good defensive rebounder. AEH also struggles on the ball and Matharu gets overly aggressive. However those are our only three that can hit perimeter shots with any consistency (I'll add Jackson sometimes as well while Wiggins is really streaky)

Stick Danberry and Matharu/AEH up top in a 2-3 and have Bibby, Carter and Jackson down low and make sure Jackson is on the side their scorers like to be on as she's going to be quicker to close than Bibby. This also protects Carter from foul trouble as much.

Then when you go to offense, if the other team tries to run man you can run a pick and roller with Carter and Danberry and have good shooters on the outside. If teams go zone you've got two good 3 point shooters on the perimeter to stretch the zone out and then Carter and Jackson are both good mid-range.

R2Dawg
02-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Vic will never, ever, ever do this but this team is built to play zone defense. Bibby really struggles to man up somebody but she's good at help and is a good defensive rebounder. AEH also struggles on the ball and Matharu gets overly aggressive. However those are our only three that can hit perimeter shots with any consistency (I'll add Jackson sometimes as well while Wiggins is really streaky)

Stick Danberry and Matharu/AEH up top in a 2-3 and have Bibby, Carter and Jackson down low and make sure Jackson is on the side their scorers like to be on as she's going to be quicker to close than Bibby. This also protects Carter from foul trouble as much.

Then when you go to offense, if the other team tries to run man you can run a pick and roller with Carter and Danberry and have good shooters on the outside. If teams go zone you've got two good 3 point shooters on the perimeter to stretch the zone out and then Carter and Jackson are both good mid-range.

Agree. We have the pieces to be a dominant team we just haven't had the right combinations and scheme to get it done now. Taylor also struggles on man D; her man gets by her all the time. We have some serious weapons on O we just are not getting the most out of them.

R2Dawg
02-18-2020, 12:45 PM

Agree. We have the pieces to be a dominant team we just haven't had the right combinations and scheme to get it done now. Taylor also struggles on man D; her man gets by her all the time. We have some serious weapons on O we just are not getting the most out of them.

Irondawg
02-18-2020, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say we have serious weapons on offense. Bibby and AEH are above average spot shooters but can't do anything off the bounce. Danberry is above average and penetrating and finishing and has a nice jumper 15 and in. Matharu and Jackson can get where they want to go, they just don't understand spacing and often over dribble and get into trouble when an open jumper was available one second sooner. Carter shoots a high % but shes never looks like an elite post scorer against teams with a pulse.

The rest are streaky and inconsistent.

Side note - there is no way Matharu should be so bad from the FT line (59%). Anyone else notice she shoots FT insanely fast like it's a grenade. Her jump shot motion is one of the best on the team but she really rushes her FT.

KentuckyDawg13
02-18-2020, 03:02 PM
We should use two combo-guards with shared ball responsibilities. Our outside shooting is suffering and Vic's attack-the-rim offense is paramount now. Go big, with Carter at the 4 and Morris at the 5.

CG Mingo-Young
CG Danberry
SF Jackson
PF Carter
C Morris

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2020, 03:05 PM
Haven't watched every game, but I've watched enough to come to the conclusion that we don't have but one or two players that fit Vic's coaching style. They have almost no one that can play consistent defense and our effort gets spotty in stretches. It could be youth, but it's definitely an alarming problem to say the least. If we're going to continue to play the hard man to man full court style of play he likes then we're going to have to recruit more athletes than anything. Now, if wants to go to the zone then he has the perfect team because there's a lot of length in the front court and quick guards in the back court.

jdelta02
02-18-2020, 03:30 PM
We should use two combo-guards with shared ball responsibilities. Our outside shooting is suffering and Vic's attack-the-rim offense is paramount now. Go big, with Carter at the 4 and Morris at the 5.

CG Mingo-Young
CG Danberry
SF Jackson
PF Carter
C Morris

I like like this lineup as well. Morris at the 5, Carter at the 4, and either..Matharu or Mingo-Young in with this group. Mingo-Young takes care of the ball, defends, and executes better. Also, she's a fairly capable perimeter threat at times (can be streaky), and has shown flashes of ability to score in various other ways. Matharu shoots better from the perimeter, better overall scorer, quicker. Not opposed to using either in the lineup. Would even go with Espinoza-Hunter if she were on top of her game, and defending at a level that wasn't overly hurting the team.

I talked about a similar lineup earlier in this thread... included additions of Matharu and Morris. Mentioned the possibility of Espinoza-Hunter with the big lineup as well.

Irondawg
02-18-2020, 03:32 PM
Haven't watched every game, but I've watched enough to come to the conclusion that we don't have but one or two players that fit Vic's coaching style. They have almost no one that can play consistent defense and our effort gets spotty in stretches. It could be youth, but it's definitely an alarming problem to say the least. If we're going to continue to play the hard man to man full court style of play he likes then we're going to have to recruit more athletes than anything. Now, if wants to go to the zone then he has the perfect team because there's a lot of length in the front court and quick guards in the back court.

Yeah it's really odd when you look at his historical style with what he's recruited. I think some haven't developed as he thought they would but this team has a totally different feel than almost all his prior teams.

Dawg2003
02-18-2020, 04:11 PM
We seem to have more finesse players that don't fit his style. Jackson, Carter, and AEH are finesse players. Another issue we have is that teams would double and triple McCowan, which would leave the shooters wide open. Right now, we end up in a lot of situations where people are playing 1:1 trying to get a layup or a shooter taking a quicker, more contested shot.

We get beat on defense a lot though. My goodness, we also foul a lot. We can take a charge though. That's one thing we can do.

R2Dawg
02-18-2020, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say we have serious weapons on offense. Bibby and AEH are above average spot shooters but can't do anything off the bounce. Danberry is above average and penetrating and finishing and has a nice jumper 15 and in. Matharu and Jackson can get where they want to go, they just don't understand spacing and often over dribble and get into trouble when an open jumper was available one second sooner. Carter shoots a high % but shes never looks like an elite post scorer against teams with a pulse.

The rest are streaky and inconsistent.

Side note - there is no way Matharu should be so bad from the FT line (59%). Anyone else notice she shoots FT insanely fast like it's a grenade. Her jump shot motion is one of the best on the team but she really rushes her FT.

Respectfully disagree. We do have serious weapons on O. Every great player has limits. VV could not play the post. T had little range. Pick any top player out there. 99% are not good at everything. Not what I said.

Hunter set the SEC record for a game in 3 pointers; we know Bibby can shoot it. They are two very good, better than average outside shooters. Wiggins and Matharu can score out there too and even Jackson sometimes.

Carter has never been stopped this year except by refs. She is dominant and deadly inside 12ft. I'd challenge anyone to come up with a WBB player more productive per minute than her. Foul trouble been her biggest issue.

Danberry, show me a more unstoppable drive player and good finisher inside 10ft; slumping lately though

Wiggins does a little of everything; great slasher and decent outside. Matharu super talented freshmen. Mingo also good frosh.
Jackson is really talented just not consistent yet.

So if we play to our player strengths depending on what D does, we can be lethal on O. We were in top 5 in country in O most of the year so stats say we are really good.

Cooterpoot
02-18-2020, 04:47 PM
Anyone that thinks this team is a good shooting team is blind. We get a ton of high percentage shots inside 10 feet. We have no one to knock down a three. And we've played a weaker schedule this year too. We caught both A&M and TN without their best players and those are our ranked wins. This team is simply young and without great shooters. Physical teams can push us around some too.
All that said, we're still a good team. Just not the level the past few years.

jdelta02
02-19-2020, 11:25 AM
Miss. State needs to get away from lineups with neither guard being a perimeter threat. Teams are leaving them out there, jamming things up closer to the goal, doubling other players, ect .

Also sagging defenses resulting from this helped get Teaira McCowan consistently mugged last season. Frustrated her a lot throughout the season. Anriel Howard started adjusting by going with pull up jumpers against these defenses. Also, she was good at offensive put backs, and getting to the free throw line. Without Anriel last season, things could easily have been much tougher for that team. Andi's shooting helped a lot ..but ulitmately wasn't enough to offset other factors.

My opinion, the decreased spacing from this sagging is affecting both Jordan Danberry and Rickea Jackson...a good bit at times. Causes problems for Matharu when she comes in, and attempts to penetrate at times....as well. But, Matharu has shown the ablity to come in, knockdown 3 pointers...forcing the defense to extend outwards, helping with floor spacing, open up the lanes, ect.

KentuckyDawg13
02-19-2020, 01:21 PM
Anyone catch Vic's comment at the press conference that Sidney Cooks is unstoppable in their practices?
Very good news to hear about next season.

Dawg2003
02-19-2020, 02:03 PM
Cooks will be a game changer because she can shoot 3s, and she's 6'4". We should really be able to space the floor next year. She played some in Italy and knocked down several 3s.

This is just a weird year. I feel like we are just trying to hold serve this year until we can get Cooks eligible and get the freshmen some experience.

R2Dawg
02-19-2020, 02:27 PM
Anyone that thinks this team is a good shooting team is blind. We get a ton of high percentage shots inside 10 feet. We have no one to knock down a three. And we've played a weaker schedule this year too. We caught both A&M and TN without their best players and those are our ranked wins. This team is simply young and without great shooters. Physical teams can push us around some too.
All that said, we're still a good team. Just not the level the past few years.

Well I never said as a team we were a good shooting team but we have some shooters. AEH just holds the 3pt game SEC record. Bibby good shooter. RJ and Carter real good inside 12ft. Jordan and few others are good scores in close and driving. Very few players on any team can do it all but we have the pieces. We just are not using all our pieces good yet. You have to get shooters open. Scorers can get their own shot. We don't have a dominant scorer yet but we got some shooters.

Percho
02-19-2020, 03:53 PM
Miss. State needs to get away from lineups with neither guard being a perimeter threat. Teams are leaving them out there, jamming things up closer to the goal, doubling other players, ect .

Also sagging defenses resulting from this helped get Teaira McCowan consistently mugged last season. Frustrated her a lot throughout the season. Anriel Howard started adjusting by going with pull up jumpers against these defenses. Also, she was good at offensive put backs, and getting to the free throw line. Without Anriel last season, things could easily have been much tougher for that team. Andi's shooting helped a lot ..but ulitmately wasn't enough to offset other factors.

My opinion, the decreased spacing from this sagging is affecting both Jordan Danberry and Rickea Jackson...a good bit at times. Causes problems for Matharu when she comes in, and attempts to penetrate at times....as well. But, Matharu has shown the ablity to come in, knockdown 3 pointers...forcing the defense to extend outwards, helping with floor spacing, open up the lanes, ect.

The guards meed to shoot open threes. You only need to luck in one or two to change the whole of the game.

BUT

If you will not pull the trigger, so be it.

Itty Bitty would pull the trigger and change the game.

Percho
02-19-2020, 03:54 PM
My above is much better than turning it over forcing into double and triple coverage.

jdelta02
02-19-2020, 04:08 PM
Anyone catch Vic's comment at the press conference that Sidney Cooks is unstoppable in their practices?
Very good news to hear about next season.

Recent press conference....
Coach Schaefer Indicated that they can't guard Sidney Cooks (Michigan State transfer) most days at practice.

She's 6-4, very skilled, and is a knockdown shooter. She's a former McDonald's All American, definitely has WNBA and overseas professional basketball potential. Kind of a situation like when Arnett Moultrie was sitting out, waiting to become eligible for the men's basketball team after transferring in from UTEP....not allowed to play in games, but can workout, practice with the team, ect.

tcdog70
02-20-2020, 11:28 AM
here is what I would like to see--some of the time
1. Carter
2. Morris
3 jackson
4. Danberry
5. #3-marthru (sp)

and run a zone

just for a change of pace.

jdelta02
02-21-2020, 10:13 AM
Xaria Wiggins was huge in the game last night, including a couple of really big 3 pointers. This team normally ratchets up the defense when she's on the court. My opinion, need her on the court earlier in games, especially before the team starts struggling to defend, getting behind. Brings very good atheticism, defense, ability to make various plays, general scoring, and perimeter shooting. Also, brings energy to the lineup.

KentuckyDawg13
02-21-2020, 01:21 PM
Agree, in place of Bibby. Or Hunter.

jdelta02
02-21-2020, 04:28 PM
Xaria Wiggins leads the team in 3 point percentage....at 41% (3 pt range...41%) per game.

R2Dawg
02-21-2020, 06:24 PM
Xaria Wiggins leads the team in 3 point percentage....at 41% (3 pt range...41%) per game.

Been saying all year Wiggins needs to start and get a lot of minutes. She can shoot it, slash and finish, plays good D and rebounds. Her athleticism and size is a tough matchup too.

Still think Hunter is a valuable piece for this team too. Bibby is a good shooter but I just don't think she has recovered from the knee where she was.

PendingTransaction
02-21-2020, 09:18 PM
I’m not sure what combination would give the best lineup, but it definitely would be void of AEH and CB.