PDA

View Full Version : Post game thoughts

Coach 57
11-02-2013, 03:29 PM
We had the game today guys! We straight up had them beaten! Player execution is a huge issue right now for both sides of the ball whether it is on D or O. Just terrible! And honestly (you know this but haven't heard me say it) that issue comes down to coaching. We are poorly coached right now. Period. I am not saying something stupid like "Fire Mullen" but more pressure needs to be applied to him from the big boys. Period! Sloppy execution on both sides of the ball. As good as the D looked today I saw DEmen tipping when we stunted (afraid to make big contact especially from our DEs). Terrible angles on tackling, not wrapping up, blocks being missed by guys that would've sprung big plays, bad decisions by both QB & MLBs on the checks, and then crapping the bed by the staff on stupid things like sending the FG team out before the ball is clocked or not onside kicking, or going for it when momentum is slipping. Just bad, bad, bad! I said we would win & we didn't. We had chances to seize control! The D played well enough to give the O chances to throat punch SC but didn't execute. There is some bad, bad football played & coached today. I think Mullen actually has lost the team. That's the only reason for this to be happening. He didn't forget how to coach, it is just now falling on deaf ears. I'm not yet with Cadaver & others yet but boy this was really bad today.

msugolf
11-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Cue the "we're young, have a better schedule next year" crowd. It's ok. This staff will transform this group of youngsters into all-SEC playmakers who will be able to overcome our coaches' poor player personnel choices, out-of-position players, horrible clock management, and horrendous play-calling. Don't worry guys we're YOUNG!

HoopsDawg
11-02-2013, 03:50 PM
welcome to reality Coach57. Most of us have been there awhile. It's not a pretty place.

Tbonewannabe
11-02-2013, 03:55 PM
We have the players to compete. Missed blocks, mental errors, and bad coaching lost this game. I just don't know if Mullen can get this team back. Coach, why do we NEVER take shots down the field? I could understand when we had WRs all under 6' but we have some size now.

maroonmania
11-02-2013, 03:56 PM
The sad part is there actually WAS a slight chance for us to win today. Our offense can't produce enough points without self destructing to beat TA&M and we aren't beating AL in any form or fashion. The really bad part right now is that its going to be difficult if we take 3 butt whippings in a row to pull ourselves together mentally to play like we should in those last 2 games which ARE both winnable.

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2013, 04:07 PM
We had the game today guys! We straight up had them beaten! Player execution is a huge issue right now for both sides of the ball whether it is on D or O. Just terrible! And honestly (you know this but haven't heard me say it) that issue comes down to coaching. We are poorly coached right now. Period. I am not saying something stupid like "Fire Mullen" but more pressure needs to be applied to him from the big boys. Period! Sloppy execution on both sides of the ball. As good as the D looked today I saw DEmen tipping when we stunted (afraid to make big contact especially from our DEs). Terrible angles on tackling, not wrapping up, blocks being missed by guys that would've sprung big plays, bad decisions by both QB & MLBs on the checks, and then crapping the bed by the staff on stupid things like sending the FG team out before the ball is clocked or not onside kicking, or going for it when momentum is slipping. Just bad, bad, bad! I said we would win & we didn't. We had chances to seize control! The D played well enough to give the O chances to throat punch SC but didn't execute. There is some bad, bad football played & coached today. I think Mullen actually has lost the team. That's the only reason for this to be happening. He didn't forget how to coach, it is just now falling on deaf ears. I'm not yet with Cadaver & others yet but boy this was really bad today.

Agree on many points Coach, but this is what is so confusing. If we are going to blame the coaches for not teaching the "little things", then we also have to give them credit for having good schemes, decent play calling, and good recruiting. There is a reason that we beat USC in almost every statistical category today, and some of that is good coaching.

This team needs to relax, grow up, and just play smarter football. Some of that falls on the coaches for sure, some of it may be that guys are afraid to make mistakes, but, as we have all seen, this team is much better than the scores indicate, but they have no one to blame for that than themselves.

blacklistedbully
11-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Coach, I have a feeling you're gonna feel a little differently tomorrow. Not saying there weren't coaching mistakes, but aside from the t/o's, dropped passes, missed block by a TE put in EXACTLY the right position to make the block, and 2 HORRIFIC coverages by Whitley and another DB, we were in a position to beat this SCar team. It's not some miracle that had us out-gaining them, holding them to 14 first downs and 309 yards despite 5 t/o's.

It felt to me like we got players in position to succeed today, but too many of them just flat out failed to execute.

msugolf
11-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Coach, I have a feeling you're gonna feel a little differently tomorrow. Not saying there weren't coaching mistakes, but aside from the t/o's, dropped passes, missed block by a TE put in EXACTLY the right position to make the block, and 2 HORRIFIC coverages by Whitley and another DB, we were in a position to beat this SCar team. It's not some miracle that had us out-gaining them, holding them to 14 first downs and 309 yards despite 5 t/o's.

It felt to me like we got players in position to succeed today, but too many of them just flat out failed to execute.

Say I have a company (which I do), and I contract you to manage and train an area with reps but you tell me the workers are in the right spot, have the right gear and they are going through the right motions but they're just failing to execute at the most critical times. Who do you think I'm coming after?

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Say I have a company (which I do), and I contract you to manage and train an area with reps but you tell me the workers are in the right spot, have the right gear and they are going through the right motions but they're just failing to execute at the most critical times. Who do you think I'm coming after?

I agree with this, but this is where it gets hairy. The problem is that everyone is blaming the coaches for everything, and not giving them any credit for what they do well.

I reality the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle.

We are a young team, with some talented players, that make good plays, have good schemes, but make critical mistakes that are caused by a lack of fundamentals that may or may not be stressed by the coaching staff.

The point is that our coaches do a lot right as well, and, what they do wrong, I deem correctable by stressing more fundamentals and by players maturing and gaining composure and poise.

I'm just not sure a coaching change would help in the slightest.

blacklistedbully
11-02-2013, 05:06 PM

I, too have a company, and have faced similar. I always ask myself first if I've given my employees the tools necessary to succeed. If I believe I have, I bring the employee in to discuss what went wrong to see if we can "fix the problem". I'm not into firing the employee simply based on the result. I want to know the reason for the result. If I determine the result is due to an inability of the employee to "get er done" despite the resources I provide, then I have to decide if I think going in another direction is the best solution.

As far as you being my boss in the above, I would fully expect you to come to me for answers, discuss the situation and make an informed decision. If you determined that the reps failure was due to a failing on my part, then you'd be wise to either decide to replace me if you think you'd do better, or provide leadership to get me back on track.

If I had been responsible for hiring those reps, and had authority from you to make changes, then I'd be even more accountable. But Dan can't "fire" these "employees" and replace them with better players mid-season.

Let's consider that in your analogy, in which we have stipulated that the reps were properly trained, placed, etc,etc, you do not have the ability to fire the reps. Your only alternative is to fire me and keep the reps. Do you fire me, even if you meet with me and determine I've done pretty much everything anyone could and that is was the reps failure to execute?

For me, I consider what my goals are, and ask myself what choices I can make to help me achieve those goals. If I think firing a manager is the solution because another could come in and do a better job with those reps, then I fire him and make the change. But if I analyze the job my manager is doing and determine he is making the right calls, but some reps aren't capable, then I instead acknowledge that we need to replace some reps.

Now you can say, "But you;re the one who hired those reps. so it's still your fault". But in our analogy it would only be accurate for us to stipulate that you gave me a salary budget that was half that of the competitors we are losing too, and that reps I REALLY wanted to hire took jobs with our competitors instead because they had a far more attractive compensation package. And if that's the case, then it's more your fault than anyone else's. A good boss would recognize this, accept responsibility and realize that he needs to provide the tools & resources needed. A bad one might just say, "Screw it, you're fired!", and try to hire another manager with the same restrictions, expecting a better result.

msugolf
11-02-2013, 05:07 PM
I agree with this, but this is where it gets hairy. The problem is that everyone is blaming the coaches for everything, and not giving them any credit for what they do well.

We are a young team, with some talented players, that make good plays, have good schemes, but make critical mistakes that are caused by a lack of fundamentals that may or may not be stressed by the coaching staff.

The point is that our coaches do a lot right as well, and, what they do wrong, I deem correctable by stressing more fundamentals and by players maturing and gaining composure and poise.

All teams do some things right. Its unrealistic to expect to be awful in every category before making a move. Unfortunately there is no learning curve for SEC head football coaches because if you have to learn and get better at your job then you will fail because everyone will leave you behind. They'll be like sharks smelling blood in the water. Its an unfortunate truth. Thats why you see the clamoring for Hud. His learning curve would be small if any.

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 05:12 PM
you can't turn the ball over that many times against the #14 team in the nation on the road and expect to be in the ball game. QB play lost the game today. Period.

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2013, 05:19 PM
you can't turn the ball over that many times against the #14 team in the nation on the road and expect to be in the ball game. QB play lost the game today. Period.

This man gets it.

Coach 57
11-02-2013, 07:13 PM
I don't blame the coaches for every aspect of the game. We had a very good scheme! On both sides if the ball. Dak is just really young right now and if you notice we lost this game when young players are making the mental miscues. Samuel misses a block that would've sprung loose a big play, Dak some mistakes & got rattled a little.

But honestly I DID pick us to win. But I wonder how much of a mental & physical toll these next two games'll take in the kids before they head in a stretch of winnable games (Arky & UM).

Percho
11-02-2013, 08:39 PM
I, too have a company, and have faced similar. I always ask myself first if I've given my employees the tools necessary to succeed. If I believe I have, I bring the employee in to discuss what went wrong to see if we can "fix the problem". I'm not into firing the employee simply based on the result. I want to know the reason for the result. If I determine the result is due to an inability of the employee to "get er done" despite the resources I provide, then I have to decide if I think going in another direction is the best solution.

As far as you being my boss in the above, I would fully expect you to come to me for answers, discuss the situation and make an informed decision. If you determined that the reps failure was due to a failing on my part, then you'd be wise to either decide to replace me if you think you'd do better, or provide leadership to get me back on track.

If I had been responsible for hiring those reps, and had authority from you to make changes, then I'd be even more accountable. But Dan can't "fire" these "employees" and replace them with better players mid-season.

Let's consider that in your analogy, in which we have stipulated that the reps were properly trained, placed, etc,etc, you do not have the ability to fire the reps. Your only alternative is to fire me and keep the reps. Do you fire me, even if you meet with me and determine I've done pretty much everything anyone could and that is was the reps failure to execute?

For me, I consider what my goals are, and ask myself what choices I can make to help me achieve those goals. If I think firing a manager is the solution because another could come in and do a better job with those reps, then I fire him and make the change. But if I analyze the job my manager is doing and determine he is making the right calls, but some reps aren't capable, then I instead acknowledge that we need to replace some reps.

Now you can say, "But you;re the one who hired those reps. so it's still your fault". But in our analogy it would only be accurate for us to stipulate that you gave me a salary budget that was half that of the competitors we are losing too, and that reps I REALLY wanted to hire took jobs with our competitors instead because they had a far more attractive compensation package. And if that's the case, then it's more your fault than anyone else's. A good boss would recognize this, accept responsibility and realize that he needs to provide the tools & resources needed. A bad one might just say, "Screw it, you're fired!", and try to hire another manager with the same restrictions, expecting a better result.

What you are saying is, "the money was just to much!"

blacklistedbully
11-02-2013, 08:49 PM
What you are saying is, "the money was just to much!"

No, I'm saying we can't put together as deep or talented a roster as the big boys. That's the "currency" I'm referring to. Mullen has to win versus teams that, in most cases, have way more overall talent & depth.

MarketingBully01
11-02-2013, 08:57 PM
This is getting old. If you want to know why we lost today. We had five turn overs period. End of story. They didn't out talent us. They didn't out scheme us. They didn't even out play us. They did what any team worth a shit would do given five turn overs. Convert them to points. They converted five turnovers into 20 points. That is the game. That is it period. Let's just move on and let the rest of the season play out. If we lose out, then you guys can complain about replacing Mullen. As for me, I still see 2 winnable games left on the schedule. We will be 6-6 and hopefully going to the BBVA bowl. That is what i saw today. Arkansas is terrible. We should be 5-6 going into the Egg Bowl and then I predict we win that as well.

Nads
11-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Texas A&M has NO DEFENSE. We will score a lot of points. The key will be stopping Manzel. We need to do what Auburn did to them. Contain with the DE's and blitz up the middle. It is doable IMO. G
The sad part is there actually WAS a slight chance for us to win today. Our offense can't produce enough points without self destructing to beat TA&M and we aren't beating AL in any form or fashion. The really bad part right now is that its going to be difficult if we take 3 butt whippings in a row to pull ourselves together mentally to play like we should in those last 2 games which ARE both winnable.

smootness
11-02-2013, 09:09 PM

Of course there are some things that are being done well at times. We are recruiting better than some claim; our playcalling is better than some claim; and sometimes player execution is more important than anything a coach does.

But the bottom line is, in college athletics, the head coach is 100% responsible for all of it. After 5 years, we are where we are, and it is all on the HC, good or bad.

We aren't absolutely terrible, but we're not good enough. People are trying to figure out what the biggest problem area is, but no matter what, it will come back to the HC. I agree that QB play lost the game today, but the HC is responsible for recruiting and developing that QB and putting him in the best place to succeed. If OL play let him down, then the HC is responsible for recruiting the OL and putting coaches in place who can coach them up. And on and on and on. It all comes back to the HC, and we're just not good enough. Period.

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Texas A&M has NO DEFENSE. We will score a lot of points. The key will be stopping Manzel. We need to do what Auburn did to them. Contain with the DE's and blitz up the middle. It is doable IMO. G

I'm more worried about us stopping ourselves than A&M stopping us. We have a good scheme and some good players, but I honestly am not sure we could score 40 points against air.

We would find a way to trip, have an illegal formation, and drop a few passes.

Yes, we can play with A&M but we must play well for 4 quarters. Hopefully they'll surprise me.

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Of course there are some things that are being done well at times. We are recruiting better than some claim; our playcalling is better than some claim; and sometimes player execution is more important than anything a coach does.

But the bottom line is, in college athletics, the head coach is 100% responsible for all of it. After 5 years, we are where we are, and it is all on the HC, good or bad.

We aren't absolutely terrible, but we're not good enough. People are trying to figure out what the biggest problem area is, but no matter what, it will come back to the HC. I agree that QB play lost the game today, but the HC is responsible for recruiting and developing that QB and putting him in the best place to succeed. If OL play let him down, then the HC is responsible for recruiting the OL and putting coaches in place who can coach them up. And on and on and on. It all comes back to the HC, and we're just not good enough. Period.

Your right on with everything except, "After 5 years, we are what we are."

I don't see how you can logically say that when we have such a young team. Makes no sense. We are and will continue to get better.

blacklistedbully
11-02-2013, 09:14 PM

But don't you know Dawg61 has told us repeatedly that we have, "0% chance of beating aTm because we can't stop JFF"? He has made it clear JFF's ability is the only thing that matters, and that he will prison rape us at will. Hell, their defense doesn't even have to take the field. We could score a TD on every single drive on that crappy aTm defense, but JFF will simply fart 8-point TD's outta his ass every time he touches the ball! We should just forfeit to spare ourselves the embarrassment. Never mind the fact that JFF's best performances so far this year have been in their 2 losses.******

bluelightstar
11-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Your right on with everything except, "After 5 years, we are what we are."

I don't see how you can logically say that when we have such a young team. Makes no sense. We are and will continue to get better.

We aren't getting better in a vacuum. Other teams will get better, and they'll be doing it with better coaches.

The Croom Diaries
11-02-2013, 09:24 PM

We are a SEC program paying SEC money for a coach. Good coaching on 50, 60, 70% of things isn't good enough. Congratulation, Mullen for doing the bare minimum but that's not gonna cut it. Obviously he is a good coach (and the staff) otherwise he wouldn't be where he is today, but that doesn't mean he's a legit SEC coach....and we are in the SEC so we're gonna need one.

The Croom Diaries
11-02-2013, 09:27 PM

It's something every week. Next week he'll play great but we'll eff up something else. It's not like major miscues are an isolated incident to this game. We are so inconsistent in virtually every facet of the game that you never know what's going to fail us.

SignalToNoise
11-02-2013, 09:29 PM
But I wonder how much of a mental & physical toll these next two games'll take in the kids before they head in a stretch of winnable games (Arky & UM).

I am worried about that too and that's why I don't think we will win either of those even though Arky is bad and the bears are overrated.

dawgietreat
11-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Mullen is what we have and what we need, he has taken us bowling every year and proven he can beat Ole Piss. The team is young and next year we will be in better position. Dak needs experience no doubt and will be great for us, however, the next 3 games will not help his confidence, and we will need him for last 2 to be up. His "experience" won't be a good one in following games. I said play Russel during 2nd quarter today. Why? Because its hard for young inexperienced QB's to bounce back. Play Russel next 3 games, what do we have to lose besides Dak losing confidence and getting hurt!

bluelightstar
11-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Mullen is what we have and what we need, he has taken us bowling every year and proven he can beat Ole Piss. The team is young and next year we will be in better position. Dak needs experience no doubt and will be great for us, however, the next 3 games will not help his confidence, and we will need him for last 2 to be up. His "experience" won't be a good one in following games. I said play Russel during 2nd quarter today. Why? Because its hard for young inexperienced QB's to bounce back. Play Russel next 3 games, what do we have to lose besides Dak losing confidence and getting hurt!

Proven he can beat Houston Nutt - 2 times when his career at Mississippi was all but over. Hugh Freeze has taken him to the woodshed on and off the field.

Jdawg
11-02-2013, 09:38 PM
I think we have the talent to play much better than we have. I agree it's the coaches and I'm tired of Mullen always blaming everyone but himself.

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2013, 09:44 PM
We aren't getting better in a vacuum. Other teams will get better, and they'll be doing it with better coaches.

Well lets see, McCarron is a senior, so Bama probably won't better next year.

Met is a senior, so LSU will better on defense but possibly worse on offense next year.

Bo Wallace is a Junior, so OM could be a little better

Manziel is gone after this season, so A&M will be worse.

Auburn, should be a little better, but teams will also be more familiar with what they won.

Honestly, I don't think Bama and LSU can really get much better. So yes, I believe we are gaining on the field or at least keeping the pace. They can only sign 25 played.

dawgietreat
11-02-2013, 09:46 PM
This is stupid logic

Political Hack
11-02-2013, 09:52 PM
It's something every week. Next week he'll play great but we'll eff up something else. It's not like major miscues are an isolated incident to this game. We are so inconsistent in virtually every facet of the game that you never know what's going to fail us.

I don't think anyone's happy with it right now. I just don't think we should make a decision at 4-4 after three consecutive bowls. I don't think Florida should make a decision at 4-4 and I think we can all agree they have higher expectations than us in an easier division.

SignalToNoise
11-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Well lets see, McCarron is a senior, so Bama probably won't better next year.

Met is a senior, so LSU will better on defense but possibly worse on offense next year.

Bo Wallace is a Junior, so OM could be a little better

Manziel is gone after this season, so A&M will be worse.

Auburn, should be a little better, but teams will also be more familiar with what they won.

Honestly, I don't think Bama and LSU can really get much better. So yes, I believe we are gaining on the field or at least keeping the pace. They can only sign 25 played.

So teams only get better or worse based on QBs? Give me a break.

What makes you think we are gaining field or even keeping the pace?