PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do With the South Endzone?

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 09:27 AM
I know we do this every so often, but I always enjoy the ideas created on here.

Post a picture of what you'd want the south endzone to be inspired by.

Personally, I'm fine with a hotel in the South endzone, but the hotel side that is facing the inside of the stadium needs to be a stadium, bowl the stadium in, & add to the STADIUM. Not just be a building in the end zone.

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 09:30 AM
Personally, I'd like to see a vertical stand of sky boxes that emulate this opera house while at the lower levels have a some rows of seating that bowl in the stadium like La Bombanera in Argentina

https://www.thenational.ae/image/policy:1.679610:1511871289/GettyImages-541383924.jpg?f=16x9&w=1200&$p$f$w=b95af82

https://www.stadiumguide.com/wp-content/gallery/bombonera/bombonera3.jpg

Cooterpoot
02-11-2020, 09:33 AM
Boxes and rent space to The Pony. Throw a couple strippers on poles similar to what Dallas does with their "dancers". **

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 09:35 AM
Boxes and rent space to The Pony. Throw a couple strippers on poles similar to what Dallas does with their "dancers". **

https://media.nbcdfw.com/2019/09/ept_sports_nfl_experts-784429298-1253503930.jpg?fit=600%2C338

fader2103
02-11-2020, 09:35 AM
I would love to see a big sheet with the words "ELITEDAWGS BAN SHOTGUN"

Jarius
02-11-2020, 09:43 AM
Make the South Endzone all premium seating, then chairback the entire lower level. The hotel idea can work but it needs to connect the East and West sides. The first design that was put out for the hotel didn't look good IMO.

KOdawg1
02-11-2020, 09:43 AM

Do what Arkansas did with their end zone to a lesser degree. Have boxes that have a few rows of chair back seating in front of them. Kinda looks like behind home plate of a baseball park.

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 09:46 AM

Do what Arkansas did with their end zone to a lesser degree. Have boxes that have a few rows of chair back seating in front of them. Kinda looks like behind home plate of a baseball park.

Good idea.

I like what Ark did. Maybe keep everything, but remove that 2nd tier, club level seating & just go vertical skyboxes & continue the skyboxes throughout the bowl instead of stopping them halfway like Ark did

Would increase the stadium capacity to about 63K I'd guess, which I think would work if we're good.

https://media.arkansasonline.com/img/photos/2017/05/02/4800-2a_1.jpg

MedDawg
02-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Put in a hotel and style it like the new Old Main building

3156j

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 09:53 AM
Put in a hotel and style it like the new Old Main building

3156j

I'd like the back of it (facing the Junction) to look like that, but having a building like that facing the inside of the stadium is a complete waste of space.

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 09:53 AM
I'd definitely like to have a 360 degree concourse.

Liverpooldawg
02-11-2020, 10:32 AM
The first thing that needs to be done to the stadium is to bring the east side under the stands up to the standard of the rest of the stadium. A distant second phase convert the two mid tiers on the west side to boxes. Make up the capacity by bowling in the south endzone. Keep the capacity about where it is.

Pipedream
02-11-2020, 10:36 AM
Going to the Buccaneers stadium for the Outback Bowl was a real a-ha moment for me in regards to what we should do to DWS. First, I'd segment both east and west lower levels into standard seating and "club" seating. The top of the lower West side needs to be enclosed and turned into club area that would match the East side. Making 20 or so rows into club, making them wider more comfortable chairback seating (if you went to the Outback Bowl and sat at the top of the lower bowl, you know how comfy those chairs were) should take out roughly 3000 from the capacity if you convert 20 rows from each lower section to "club". Secondly, the west quarter deck/press box needs to be converted completely to sky boxes/suites. No reason for the media to get the best seats in the house for free. Turn that entire deck into suites. Lots of $ there. You'll also lose maybe a thousand or so seats in that process as suites will seat less than those sections. Finally, I'd mirror the South End Zone to the North end zone expansion from 2014. That should, based on historical data, add ~6000 seats. Overall, this entire plan only adds roughly 2000 seats to the entire scheme, but creates a lot more money, better viewing/seating, more comfort, better amenities, and would double our premium club/suites.

Choctaw Dawg
02-11-2020, 10:38 AM
Ill try to go by and take a picture today, but there looks to be work being done to the midtier west side of stadium. There is scaffolding that goes across most of the mid tier, but if I had to guess its just yearly maintenance and not any extensive work being done. A new press box should honestly be the first priority, we might have one of the worst in the league

OLJWales
02-11-2020, 10:41 AM
I hope before I die I get to see a true bowled in Davis Wade.

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 10:52 AM
The first thing that needs to be done to the stadium is to bring the east side under the stands up to the standard of the rest of the stadium. A distant second phase convert the two mid tiers on the west side to boxes. Make up the capacity by bowling in the south endzone. Keep the capacity about where it is.

Ugh. Brutal

deadheaddawg
02-11-2020, 11:00 AM
I would rather do something to the middle section of the west side. The press box area looks awful from the outside. Looks very old. Like something a CUSA team would have.

Cooterpoot
02-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Just move Dorman to where Seal is and put bleachers on half and leave places for lawn chairs and coolers on the rest.*

Liverpooldawg
02-11-2020, 11:45 AM
Ugh. Brutal

What do you care, you never go. The east side under the stands will be the next thing done. I think it's already in the works.

OLJWales
02-11-2020, 11:51 AM
What do you care, you never go. The east side under the stands will be the next thing done. I think it's already in the works.

I was hoping to get the south end bowled in as the next Project. Having an open endzone is so yesterday/bush league/cusa.

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 11:56 AM

That's not true at all. I went to 4 home games last year

We're about to be a $130 mil per year athletic program. My guess is that we can do both.

gtowndawg
02-11-2020, 12:19 PM
In all seriousness, I'm still lost on the whole hotel thing. Official renderings were put out, but there's never been any talk about it. Was that just leaked? Is that an official idea or not? I've never seen something like that come out and essentially get ignored (as far as I can remember anyway).

dotcomdawg
02-11-2020, 12:29 PM
I would put chairback throughout the entire stadium except for visitor's seats and students. We would lose some seats in the process. Then I would mirror the south endzone with the north endzone. We don't need more than 70k seats (if that many).

Though another option would be to take the Dudy Noble model and put condo/suites in the south endzone above new seating that mirrored the north end zone.

Personally, I'm fine with a hotel in the South endzone, but the hotel side that is facing the inside of the stadium needs to be a stadium, bowl the stadium in, & add to the STADIUM. Not just be a building in the end zone.

BeastMan
02-11-2020, 12:36 PM
First thing I?d do to upgrade the stadium is make every seat chair back with a cup holder. Bleachers absolutely suck.

Joebob
02-11-2020, 12:47 PM

Speaking of going, where do most out-of-towners park when they go to DWS? I?d like to start going to at least one game a year but I don?t want to pay $400 a night to stay at a hotel that?s within walking distance of the stadium. There are much cheaper alternatives in the Golden Triangle area, but then I?d have to find some place to park.

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 12:52 PM
First thing I?d do to upgrade the stadium is make every seat chair back with a cup holder. Bleachers absolutely suck.

To me, this is actually the first question that needs to be asked. The answer to this question directly effects what you do in the South end zone.

Doing the math, putting chair backs in will decrease the stadium by 20% making DWS a 48,000 sear stadium. If you do that, then you need to build a 13-15 K seat end zone.

TUSK
02-11-2020, 01:04 PM
JMO, but the first thing is to get into it more often... That'd pay for whatever upgrades are desired.

MafiaDawg
02-11-2020, 01:07 PM
A very big multi level bar.

Dawgology
02-11-2020, 01:27 PM
I figured you would have said to put a dome over it.

crackerjax
02-11-2020, 01:59 PM

THIS. And WiFi.

Joebob
02-11-2020, 02:02 PM
I hope before I die I get to see a true bowled in Davis Wade.

I?d like to see the south end bowled in too. It would finish giving us that big time stadium look. The cowbells would probably be even louder too, as there would be nowhere for the sound to escape.

Jack Lambert
02-11-2020, 02:19 PM
Removing the present building and leaving it empty would look better.

RocketDawg
02-11-2020, 02:50 PM
Speaking of going, where do most out-of-towners park when they go to DWS? I?d like to start going to at least one game a year but I don?t want to pay $400 a night to stay at a hotel that?s within walking distance of the stadium. There are much cheaper alternatives in the Golden Triangle area, but then I?d have to find some place to park.

You get a parking pass through the Bulldog Club. Otherwise you park a ways out and either walk in or take one of the shuttles.

RocketDawg
02-11-2020, 02:51 PM

Whatever is done needs to be curved to match the north endzone, not squared off like the hotel concept was.

Leroy Jenkins
02-11-2020, 03:10 PM
T. Boone Pickens stadium. Makes everything look finished off, and does not add extra seats we won't fill

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ed/c9/55/edc955175ae2a503f69692f2ea3b45af.jpg

OLJWales
02-11-2020, 03:22 PM
T. Boone Pickens stadium. Makes everything look finished off, and does not add extra seats we won't fill

That's the same as saying we'll never be good enough to pack a 67000 seat stadium. Are we the only team in the SEC besides vandy (and maybe MO) without a bowled in stadium?

Jack Lambert
02-11-2020, 03:26 PM

The greatest part about this stadium is the fact the basketball area is part of the football stadium and if you have executive box you have it for both sports.

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 03:27 PM

Stadium needs to be bowled in by a STADIUM in some fashion. Ridiculous not too.

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 03:28 PM
The greatest part about this stadium is the fact the basketball area is part of the football stadium and if you have executive box you have it for both sports.

Eh. This stadium kind of sucks in reality. Have been to games there.

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 03:29 PM
Whatever is built in the SEZ needs to have an MSU Athletic Hall of Fame and museum attached to it that open to the public and available to rent out for receptions and meetings.

I’ll be damned if they build another 17ing clock museum on prime real estate

Pipedream
02-11-2020, 03:30 PM
To me, this is actually the first question that needs to be asked. The answer to this question directly effects what you do in the South end zone.

Doing the math, putting chair backs in will decrease the stadium by 20% making DWS a 48,000 sear stadium. If you do that, then you need to build a 13-15 K seat end zone.

You don't want to chairback the ENTIRE stadium. I'd prefer it done only in certain areas of the lower bowl so you can re-market them at a higher price point (if you're looking at maximizing your return), BUT if you want to comfortably chairback the entire lower bowls on either side you'll be turning 32,400 seats (West side 18,400/East side ~14,000) into 21,600 chairs (assuming each chair is 1.5X as wide as the original bleacher seat). That removes 10,800 available seats from the lower bowls. The North EZ expansion was in total was either 8800 or 7000 depending upon how you interpret the literature. You could easily add height to that end zone to get up to that number (or via taller scoreboard club, more loge, more suites, etc.). So, long story short, yes, chair backing the entire lower bowl + a South EZ would roughly = current capacity.

gtowndawg
02-11-2020, 03:52 PM
You don't want to chairback the ENTIRE stadium. I'd prefer it done only in certain areas of the lower bowl so you can re-market them at a higher price point (if you're looking at maximizing your return), BUT if you want to comfortably chairback the entire lower bowls on either side you'll be turning 32,400 seats (West side 18,400/East side ~14,000) into 21,600 chairs (assuming each chair is 1.5X as wide as the original bleacher seat). That removes 10,800 available seats from the lower bowls. The North EZ expansion was in total was either 8800 or 7000 depending upon how you interpret the literature. You could easily add height to that end zone to get up to that number (or via taller scoreboard club, more loge, more suites, etc.). So, long story short, yes, chair backing the entire lower bowl + a South EZ would roughly = current capacity.

This is the answer. Mirror the south end zone with north, make all lower bowl seats chairbacks and leave upper decks as bleachers (cheaper seats).

Pipedream
02-11-2020, 04:00 PM
This is the answer. Mirror the south end zone with north, make all lower bowl seats chairbacks and leave upper decks as bleachers (cheaper seats).

Yeah, I think it's definitely the simplest option along with making the West Skydeck suites/boxes. That's the biggest no brainer move and I can't believe it's been in place almost 40 years without someone capitalizing on that opportunity. Only issue with mirroring the north and south end zones is what do you do with the students? Do you split them up? Sell regular season ticket holders end zone seats? IDK how well those would sell. Might take a slightly amended mirroring to make it work. Look at Arkansas' new end zone. I think that's exactly what we'd need to make it work. Less actual seats, more premium areas but the same "largeness" as the North EZ.

RocketDawg
02-11-2020, 04:10 PM
That's the same as saying we'll never be good enough to pack a 67000 seat stadium. Are we the only team in the SEC besides vandy (and maybe MO) without a bowled in stadium?

Ole Miss's is bowled in now, but it's I-beam and steel flooring instead of concrete. Much cheaper that way but looks awful.

RocketDawg
02-11-2020, 04:14 PM
Whatever is built in the SEZ needs to have an MSU Athletic Hall of Fame and museum attached to it that open to the public and available to rent out for receptions and meetings.

I?ll be damned if they build another 17ing clock museum on prime real estate

What's wrong with the clock museum? I like it and it doesn't take up much space. I'm just not sure how it relates to MSU.

Liverpooldawg
02-11-2020, 04:16 PM

There are public lots in several places, you can buy a pass online.

Liverpooldawg
02-11-2020, 04:27 PM
The only thing that is actually on the radar at some point is re-doing the under the stands part of the lower east side, which REALLY needs to be done. The only thing we have demand for is boxes and other high end stuff. The demand for the club level stuff isn't as high. We certainly don't need to raise the overall capacity much if any. The national trend is for smaller crowds and that is only going to get worse. If you HAVE to bowl in the south endzone then you only do it to make up for lost capacity elsewhere due to boxes. Chairbacks make zero sense at all, not for large portions of the stadium. Whatever we do I hope we don't try to make it symmetrical. Symmetrical stadiums are soul less. If you REALLY wanted to do something cool put a roof over the stands like English soccer stadiums do. That would be nice and help attendance on those day game in September.

TheLostDawg
02-11-2020, 04:55 PM
The only thing that is actually on the radar at some point is re-doing the under the stands part of the lower east side, which REALLY needs to be done. The only thing we have demand for is boxes and other high end stuff. The demand for the club level stuff isn't as high. We certainly don't need to raise the overall capacity much if any. The national trend is for smaller crowds and that is only going to get worse. If you HAVE to bowl in the south endzone then you only do it to make up for lost capacity elsewhere due to boxes. Chairbacks make zero sense at all, not for large portions of the stadium. Whatever we do I hope we don't try to make it symmetrical. Symmetrical stadiums are soul less. If you REALLY wanted to do something cool put a roof over the stands like English soccer stadiums do. That would be nice and help attendance on those day game in September.

Someone contact the engineering department and get this done. Also like the idea of seats in the lower sections along with boxes on the west side and fixing under the stands on the east side. Definitely would look nicer just demo the South end zone. That with pull up stands looks terrible. I like the idea similar to Arkansas and making it a hotel along with MSU Hof museum. Really just sell alcohol in that section and that will keep people over there. Whatever they do to the South ez I hope it connects the the east and west side.

Jarius
02-11-2020, 05:07 PM

The athletic director went on The radio a few weeks back and said that the SEZ expansion was on the radar for the next 5 years or so.

Leroy Jenkins
02-11-2020, 05:28 PM

Got nothing to do with being good enough. Has everything to do with being a commuter fanbase, with 80" HDTV, and 100 degree games, 2 hour lines etc. etc. it takes a 15 second google search to see that even though the SEC leads the nation in attendance, the conference had the lowest attendance since 2001 last year. Read that again..... 2001.

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 07:01 PM

I’ll be damned if they build another 17ing clock museum on prime real estate

- sorry. I realize the East side needs renovating but we're an SEC school with what amounts to looking like a trailer house in our South end zone for the country to see. For the greater good, that has to come first. Best case is that we just lump both into the same project.

- Chairbacks would make the Gameday experience better for more people which will help attendance. It makes all the sense in the world.

- bowling in the endzone should help recruiting our stadiums reputation and atmosphere.

- Stop thinking small. We're about to be a $130 mil per year AD

- agree with the roof idea.

Leroy Jenkins
02-11-2020, 07:24 PM
Remember when Blockbuster video and pay-phones on every corner was a thing? I would be surprised if there is ever another football stadium built in this country with a capacity larger than 70-80k.....anywhere. That's not thinking small that is the demand.

Maroonthirteen
02-11-2020, 07:34 PM
Really...... If State does another major project to that stadium, it needs to be to demolish the west side and rebuild it with modern amenities, luxury seating and better sight lines. Today....The first ten rows, you can not see the game. To low and not enough rise. 100 level, 200 level, Press box have zero amenities.

Jarius
02-11-2020, 07:58 PM
Remember when Blockbuster video and pay-phones on every corner was a thing? I would be surprised if there is ever another football stadium built in this country with a capacity larger than 70-80k.....anywhere. That's not thinking small that is the demand.

No one on here wants anything even close to that big. You can enclose the SEZ without gaining any capacity at all.

Leroy Jenkins
02-11-2020, 08:13 PM
No one on here wants anything even close to that big. You can enclose the SEZ without gaining any capacity at all.

I didn't say here.... I said anywhere in this county. Earlier in this thread I said I would like something similar to T. Boone Pickens. Which, in your words would "enclose the SEZ without gaining capacity".

I swear some people just read what they want.

Jarius
02-11-2020, 08:20 PM
I didn't say here.... I said anywhere in this county. Earlier in this thread I said I would like something similar to T. Boone Pickens. Which, in your words would "enclose the SEZ without gaining capacity".

I swear some people just read what they want.

You said "that's not thinking small that is the demand." Shotgun is the person that has been using that phrase so obviously it seemed as though you were talking about him and what he wanted the stadium to look like. Your post made it sound like people were wanting to add too much size to the stadium.

Liverpooldawg
02-11-2020, 08:20 PM
- sorry. I realize the East side needs renovating but we're an SEC school with what amounts to looking like a trailer house in our South end zone for the country to see. For the greater good, that has to come first. Best case is that we just lump both into the same project.

- Chairbacks would make the Gameday experience better for more people which will help attendance. It makes all the sense in the world.

- bowling in the endzone should help recruiting our stadiums reputation and atmosphere.

- Stop thinking small. We're about to be a $130 mil per year AD

- agree with the roof idea.

For the greater good would be redoing the east side under the stand. That affects about 1/3 of the people actually at the game. You are thinking like Ole Miss. it's what it looks like , not what it is. Their football stadium is an absolute pathetic DUMP under the stands, but it's bowled in. LOL. I guess we could throw up an erector set like they did. It would be a BOWL though. Lol.

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 09:10 PM
Really...... If State does another major project to that stadium, it needs to be to demolish the west side and rebuild it with modern amenities, luxury seating and better sight lines. Today....The first ten rows, you can not see the game. To low and not enough rise. 100 level, 200 level, Press box have zero amenities.

After we bowl in the stadium, I agree.

We've got to make the place look right & look like an SEC stadium 1st

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2020, 09:14 PM
For the greater good would be redoing the east side under the stand. That affects about 1/3 of the people actually at the game. You are thinking like Ole Miss. it's what it looks like , not what it is. Their football stadium is an absolute pathetic DUMP under the stands, but it's bowled in. LOL. I guess we could throw up an erector set like they did. It would be a BOWL though. Lol.

I agree that the East side must be done, but, you know, maybe Ole Miss isn't wrong about everything. Looks are important & are far more meaningful to our program than how nice the underside of the East stands are.

Tiger stadium is a dump under the stands, but all million of people on TV & recruits see is the awesome inside. That has to come first.

On a given Saturday, 20K may come into contact with the East underside while 5 million see our trailer home in the South Endzone. The project that should be the priority is obvious.

Again, hopefully we can just lump them both into the same project & perhaps save a little money that way

Mjoelner34
02-11-2020, 10:42 PM
The North EZ expansion was in total was either 8800 or 7000 depending upon how you interpret the literature. You could easily add height to that end zone to get up to that number (or via taller scoreboard club, more loge, more suites, etc.).

I don't know about future expansion (left and right) of current Scoreboard Club seating below the north video board but, the standing deck was built where club level seating like the State Level below the Scoreboard Club could be placed.
https://www.tutorperini.com/media/4409/dw_034b.jpg

Mjoelner34
02-11-2020, 11:10 PM
delete. double post.

Mjoelner34
02-11-2020, 11:12 PM
I like the front of the hotel that was in the renderings
https://www.sixpackspeak.com/images/DavisWade/DavisWade1.PNG
but the stadium side left a lot to be desired.
https://www.sixpackspeak.com/images/DavisWade/DavisWade4.PNG

I would keep the hotel the way it is but would drastically change the seating.

Liverpooldawg
02-12-2020, 10:16 AM
I agree that the East side must be done, but, you know, maybe Ole Miss isn't wrong about everything. Looks are important & are far more meaningful to our program than how nice the underside of the East stands are.

Tiger stadium is a dump under the stands, but all million of people on TV & recruits see is the awesome inside. That has to come first.

On a given Saturday, 20K may come into contact with the East underside while 5 million see our trailer home in the South Endzone. The project that should be the priority is obvious.

Again, hopefully we can just lump them both into the same project & perhaps save a little money that way

Their stadium is a DUMP. I was surprised at how bad it is under the stands even in the newest areas. The older areas are just pathetic. They are 1970s Scott Field bad. In case you aren't old enough to remember, that was BAD.

ShotgunDawg
02-12-2020, 10:41 AM
Their stadium is a DUMP. I was surprised at how bad it is under the stands even in the newest areas. The older areas are just pathetic. They are 1970s Scott Field bad. In case you aren't old enough to remember, that was BAD.

I'm not disagreeing, but many SEC schools have dumps underneath the stands.

I'm am just saying that for the greater good of MSU, it's more important to get the trailer home out of our South end zone than it is to make the East side nicer

ShotgunDawg
02-12-2020, 10:41 AM
I like the front of the hotel that was in the renderings
https://www.sixpackspeak.com/images/DavisWade/DavisWade1.PNG
but the stadium side left a lot to be desired.
https://www.sixpackspeak.com/images/DavisWade/DavisWade4.PNG

I would keep the hotel the way it is but would drastically change the seating.

I like the general look of this, but this serves none of our needs.

We need a STADIUM in the the south endzone. Something with seats that bowls in the stadium

MedDawg
02-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Before the latest expansion plans were finalized, Populous provided a 20-year expansion plan below with the South endzone filled in. Also, in searching for this pic the other day, I saw an aerial rendering of the current 3-sided DWS with a Hard Rock Stadium-type roof (in Miami where they just had the Super Bowl) over each side. It looked awesome but I can't find it today.

ShotgunDawg
02-12-2020, 12:27 PM
Before the latest expansion plans were finalized, Populous provided a 20-year expansion plan below with the South endzone filled in. Also, in searching for this pic the other day, I saw an aerial rendering of the current 3-sided DWS with a Hard Rock Stadium-type roof (in Miami where they just had the Super Bowl) over each side. It looked awesome but I can't find it today.

Try to find it. That would be awesome. I know people laugh about my roof idea, but I believe it's absolutely the right way to go. Could even install some of those large helicopter fans on the underside to create some air flow in the stadium.

As for this rendering you have posted, we'd have to chairback a good portion of the stadium to make this not be too many seats, which I'd be fine doing.

The main thing is I just want us to get our stadium right.

desotodawg
02-12-2020, 12:42 PM
Campus Book Mart and Methodist Union charge $10 to park. Started parking at CBM about 4 years ago. Not a bad walk down old Lee Blvd the stadium.

OLJWales
02-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Bowl in the 17ing South End Zone NOW!!! We need to prepare for The Pirate's Natty Run!!! 70,000 cowbells ringing in a bowled in stadium. Only a ***** would disagree with that.

ETA: Can't say Pu$$Y?

Todd4State
02-14-2020, 10:49 PM

We need a STADIUM in the the south endzone. Something with seats that bowls in the stadium

I think a hotel would serve a LOT of needs. I'm not sure that our crowds would be big enough to support anything other than premium seating. A lot of people tailgate and would want a hotel room nearby to park and also serve as a base of operations. Convenient bathroom for people that choose that route. That hotel will be booked up on gameday very quickly- and likely at a premium price. It could be used for recruiting- it's a convenient place for recruits and their families to stay. They could get backpacks on visits.** I would definitely try to stay there on baseball weekends as long as it is in my price range. That's going to help our fans during baseball regionals. A hotel would be a big time money maker for the school unless it is really poorly run and I don't foresee that happening.

Lord McBuckethead
02-14-2020, 10:55 PM
In all seriousness, I'm still lost on the whole hotel thing. Official renderings were put out, but there's never been any talk about it. Was that just leaked? Is that an official idea or not? I've never seen something like that come out and essentially get ignored (as far as I can remember anyway).

It got shelved because it was terrible.

Lord McBuckethead
02-14-2020, 11:04 PM

Exactly. This isn't rocket science.
1st, we need a high wall at the field level up to a concourse. The high wall is where we add some bad ass Dawg Pound signage or something. But it also shields the locker room.

2nd - I like the idea of the tunnel straight through to the field from the junction, but the scale of it is terrible in that rendering.

3rd from the concourse level up, have about 25 rows of general seating. You could possibly do this lower than the concourse like LP Field in Nashville. The concourse could also be connected to the Junction side as well. Could be a huge party deck before and after the game.

4th- MClub skyboxes with other premium seating above those levels. It could be M Club at one level and then Club Level party gridiron club, and then above that luxury boxes that are connected to condos that have views out each direction. This would require additional vertical circulation foe fire stairs and elevators, but who cares if you have to spend an extra 400k for elevators in order to make it awesome.

The thing about it is, it cannot have a bunch of punched openings making to look like a Ramada Inn from 1993. Like that rendering. Everything about that rendering is terrible from proportions to the cheap integration of the stupid cabana things down low.

ckDOG
02-14-2020, 11:05 PM
We need less seats and a more premium experience. Put a hotel / luxury box structure there and seat back the entire stadium.

ShotgunDawg
02-14-2020, 11:35 PM
We need less seats and a more premium experience. Put a hotel / luxury box structure there and seat back the entire stadium.

We don’t need less seats than we have now

Percho
02-15-2020, 12:37 AM
I think a hotel would serve a LOT of needs. I'm not sure that our crowds would be big enough to support anything other than premium seating. A lot of people tailgate and would want a hotel room nearby to park and also serve as a base of operations. Convenient bathroom for people that choose that route. That hotel will be booked up on gameday very quickly- and likely at a premium price. It could be used for recruiting- it's a convenient place for recruits and their families to stay. They could get backpacks on visits.** I would definitely try to stay there on baseball weekends as long as it is in my price range. That's going to help our fans during baseball regionals. A hotel would be a big time money maker for the school unless it is really poorly run and I don't foresee that happening.

Where will they park their cars?

DeltaChicagoDog
02-15-2020, 05:19 AM
Berms*

Rawdawg
02-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Colorado State has a beer garden in one of their endzones. Instead of having a gridiron club in the south end zone you could have a beer garden with premium club seating above it allowing access to the garden and free movement between both spaces. So you buy a club seat in the south end zone and with that ticket you get access to the beer garden.

Cooterpoot
02-15-2020, 08:20 AM
Built a giant piss wall like used to be in the men's room. Because when we do actually start selling beer in 2075, we'll need it.

BrunswickDawg
02-15-2020, 08:51 AM

Athens is a dump under the stands too. Actually, the way it is built in a valley there is zero room under their sideline stands, and everyone is packed like sardines trying to go the bathroom or concession stands. It's a mess and smells like piss.

TheLostDawg
02-15-2020, 09:25 AM
Built a giant piss wall like used to be in the men's room. Because when we do actually start selling beer in 2075, we'll need it.

I can't imagine the men's bathroom if we sell alcohol. It's already a **** show

Leeshouldveflanked
02-15-2020, 09:32 AM
I doubt we ever have crowds bigger than 2014 crowds.... college football attendance will start trending down... we need more amenities, WiFi, Cell Service, Chairbacks, new press box... put a hotel/recruiting center in South end zone with a few restaurant options...

ShotgunDawg
02-15-2020, 10:32 AM
I doubt we ever have crowds bigger than 2014 crowds.... college football attendance will start trending down... we need more amenities, WiFi, Cell Service, Chairbacks, new press box... put a hotel/recruiting center in South end zone with a few restaurant options...

I'm fine with all of that, but the stadium needs to bowled in by seats, even if it's just 5 rows.

BogeyGolfer
02-15-2020, 12:10 PM
Personally, I'd like to see a vertical stand of sky boxes that emulate this opera house while at the lower levels have a some rows of seating that bowl in the stadium like La Bombanera in Argentina

https://www.thenational.ae/image/policy:1.679610:1511871289/GettyImages-541383924.jpg?f=16x9&w=1200&$p$f$w=b95af82

https://www.stadiumguide.com/wp-content/gallery/bombonera/bombonera3.jpg

You go GA admission on the lower open tier that leads right up to the field level with TV's food vendors etc...All standing room only with small bar tables etc...Look at the end zone at Jerry's World. On top of this you do all suites/boxes etc...You open up GA pre-game so fans can stand around eat watch other games...This has to happen!

Leeshouldveflanked
02-15-2020, 12:49 PM
I'm fine with all of that, but the stadium needs to bowled in by seats, even if it's just 5 rows.
You can still Bowl it in and put 10-20 rows of student seating in the south end zone... I would put band in the south end zone so more than 1/3 of the stadium can actually see/hear them during game.

MedDawg
02-15-2020, 01:35 PM
Ole Miss's is bowled in now, but it's I-beam and steel flooring instead of concrete. Much cheaper that way but looks awful.

I don't know. WE know it was made cheaper but inside the stadium during a game you can't tell. Both of Auburn's endzones are steel I-beam construction and the entire Penn State stadium is the same yet they are considered top stadiums.

Of course, since The Junction is right next to the stadium (unlike the grove), I wouldn't want a steel I-beam Davis Wade south endzone because that is what you would see from the Junction.

BrunswickDawg
02-15-2020, 02:14 PM
I don't know. WE know it was made cheaper but inside the stadium during a game you can't tell. Both of Auburn's endzones are steel I-beam construction and the entire Penn State stadium is the same yet they are considered top stadiums.

Of course, since The Junction is right next to the stadium (unlike the grove), I wouldn't want a steel I-beam Davis Wade south endzone because that is what you would see from the Junction.

You could solve that with a facade pretty easily though.

gravedigger
02-15-2020, 03:13 PM

Score in it

ShotgunDawg
02-15-2020, 09:30 PM
IDK, it's hard for me to put my finger on what we should change, but it seems like something should be done*

https://i.imgur.com/BpIFjPP.jpg

trojandawg
02-15-2020, 11:28 PM
As other have said bowl it in and do chairbacks in the lower bowl everywhere but the student section. Get rid Of bleachers on the lower half. This would make it look nicer and add quality to the seat. At boxes to the south end and suits with maybe a conference center and rooms on the other side wi th balconies that can be rented for game day.

I also really like the renderings for what Texas is doing in their expansion with tiers in the corners where we could have party deck suites kind of like LFL. Just a though. It's like mezzanine terraces.

Medic601
02-16-2020, 04:10 AM
I think something along the lines of what USM did in their south end zone would look good... with a large score board above it

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/l3Y3J_FncC5Jj0Q35vNfXGUU3cDzsUHzeDivTfDLGnWxKa6hLW 4NYRptjYTIyYjBYCy2wJsuw1K2dM-WgxUuqFscr69kPCF97dz_ZvLg7DUTAwwzB_uzEQ

https://xdwu7unaxo1m4kax40e6j556-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Website-Photo_USM.jpg

MedDawg
02-16-2020, 12:09 PM

Agree. Several stadiums have had one low endzone--UGA, Texas, and Florida State. Now UGA and Texas have since expanded to make that endzone bigger, but for a long time they had one.

Florida State still does. The entire exterior is brick building now (and looks awesome), but they still have a low endzone with about 15 rows.

We could do that for our South endzone for just 10 rows and have a hotel above and behind it. The Junction side of the hotel would of course start at ground level. I'd like balconies after seeing how the Left Field Lofts look and being in one. We could even have condos or hotel suites that have views to both the field and The Junction. The hotel would sell out every game weekend throughout the school year.

Florida State had endzone bleachers and essentially just extended the low bleachers across to make a bowl then built a brick building on the exterior.

timotheus
02-16-2020, 01:24 PM
Have it mimic the one in Seattle and have a hotel on each side.

99jc
02-16-2020, 02:40 PM

I absolutely agree with this...you can add more seats as needed.

deadheaddawg
02-16-2020, 11:54 PM
Don't know anything about this site, just found it googling for expansion stuff. I don't hate it

https://3rdand57.wordpress.com/tag/davis-wade-stadium/

https://3rdand57.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/afaejfzvenppfmo-20110406023650.jpg

ShotgunDawg
02-17-2020, 12:19 AM
Don't know anything about this site, just found it googling for expansion stuff. I don't hate it

https://3rdand57.wordpress.com/tag/davis-wade-stadium/

https://3rdand57.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/afaejfzvenppfmo-20110406023650.jpg

Too many seats and not enough premium.

Bothrops
02-17-2020, 02:03 AM

That's a rendering of the north side before the design was chosen.

For the south endzone I would just put a granite statue of a gigantic neotropical parrot with a patch and mechanical mouth that screamed out "**** YOU ASSHOLE" three times, every time we get screwed by an official. Have it amped up to around 100,000 total stadium watts and maybe hand out some ear plugs to folks before the game. You could have the crowd to ring in unison with it.

Maroonthirteen
02-17-2020, 10:33 AM
State could easily chairback the entire stadium, add a full section (at a 45 degree angle) on the south end to the lower East and west sides. That way we do not lose capacity and give the stadium a much more enclosed feel.

The Seal bldg doesn't look like a trailer. That's ridiculous.

However I still say the entire west side needs to be rebuilt.

drummerdawg
02-17-2020, 01:23 PM

It's actually perfect if you chairback the whole lower bowl minus the student section.

IMissJack
02-18-2020, 06:32 PM

I'm somewhat in agreement. We really need to think about replacing some sections of the lower level of West side. The bleachers are not in great condition in some areas, and the stairs are freaking difficult to get up and down. Pretty sure my Grandfather helped build that lower level in the '40's.

RocketDawg
02-18-2020, 06:56 PM
I'm somewhat in agreement. We really need to think about replacing some sections of the lower level of West side. The bleachers are not in great condition in some areas, and the stairs are freaking difficult to get up and down. Pretty sure my Grandfather helped build that lower level in the '40's.

I'm not sure what you could do about the stairs without a total rebuild. Do they have handrails? If not, they certainly should have and probably are required to.

OLJWales
02-18-2020, 07:44 PM
17 everything else until the south endzone is bowled in