PDA

View Full Version : Some intersting tweets about Washington State

Todd4State
02-07-2020, 05:00 PM
These have me excited and why I think Leach is going to be similar to Sherrill.

https://twitter.com/WestCoastCFB/status/1225499281488064512

Todd4State
02-07-2020, 05:03 PM
https://twitter.com/WestCoastCFB/status/1225117522514460672

Todd4State
02-07-2020, 05:04 PM
https://twitter.com/WestCoastCFB/status/1225484094034731008

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2020, 05:05 PM
Yup. We got a bad ass coach. No two ways about it.

Read this on why he uses wide line splits. The guy has coached every position and seen everything thrown at him. He?s going to win big and I think he stays.

There is so much substance and experience. I?ve also been extremely Impressed by his offensive staff that has done interviews. They?re all on the same page and have worked together.

Basically, this staff puts off the strong stench of knowing what they?re doing.

If they can recruit and play average defense, MSU is about to make some powers sweat

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Board/86/Contents/Why-Leach-used-extra-wide-line-splits-39710703/

Todd4State
02-07-2020, 05:05 PM
https://twitter.com/WestCoastCFB/status/1225474889412308992

Todd4State
02-07-2020, 05:08 PM
Yup. We got a bad ass coach. No two ways about it.

Read this on why he uses wide line splits. The guy has coached every position and seen everything thrown at him. He’s going to win big and I think he stays.

There is so much substance and experience. I’ve also been extremely Impressed by his offensive staff that has done interviews. They’re all on the same page and have worked together.

Basically, this staff puts off the strong stench of knowing what they’re doing.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Board/86/Contents/Why-Leach-used-extra-wide-line-splits-39710703/

And as far as the 4-5 star recruits go- our class this year alone in a "down" year for Mississippi had twice as many four star recruits than Leach had at Wazzu.

gtowndawg
02-07-2020, 05:09 PM
One thing I personally believe was different about the Kang...he came in with a HUGE chip on his shoulder. He was extremely motivated to show he could still coach.

Todd4State
02-07-2020, 05:12 PM
One thing I personally believe was different about the Kang...he came in with a HUGE chip on his shoulder. He was extremely motivated to show he could still coach.

True. And at least repair his image. He was always a winner at Texas A&M pretty much.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2020, 05:12 PM
And as far as the 4-5 star recruits go- our class this year alone in a "down" year for Mississippi had twice as many four star recruits than Leach had at Wazzu.

Yup. I don’t know if we can croot well enough to consistently compete with the Bama and LSU. But I think the other 10 teams on our schedule are about to have a problem.

I can’t wait to see a Leach offense with all 4 star WRs

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2020, 05:13 PM

I think Leach does as well to some degree due to people telling him his entire career that he couldn’t get it done in the SEC

DLGDawg
02-07-2020, 05:55 PM
Yup. I don’t know if we can croot well enough to consistently compete with the Bama and LSU. But I think the other 10 teams on our schedule are about to have a problem.

I can’t wait to see a Leach offense with all 4 star WRs

We all get caught up in trying to consistently compete with bama, LSU Clemson. But really, no one is. There's what, 6-7 teams that can compete for a NC at this point in college football???

I think once Saban is gone things will change back similar to what it was before Saban. With Saban having the most talented team top to bottom every time he steps on the field, that makes the other top teams strive to get there with fierce determination.

Turfdawg67
02-07-2020, 06:16 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/28Vwtb2C/IMG-0705.jpg

Todd4State
02-07-2020, 06:19 PM
We all get caught up in trying to consistently compete with bama, LSU Clemson. But really, no one is. There's what, 6-7 teams that can compete for a NC at this point in college football???

I think once Saban is gone things will change back similar to what it was before Saban. With Saban having the most talented team top to bottom every time he steps on the field, that makes the other top teams strive to get there with fierce determination.

There's a difference between compete and beat those teams consistently. I don't think any MSU fans are talking about going for a National Title. I also don't think we will be able to consistently beat Alabama with Saban as no one has really been able to do that other than maybe Mahlzahn and even then he probably has a losing record against them without looking and some of his wins have come down to the last play of the game at home going their way basically.

What I'm talking about is being in the game within one or two scores and basically having a chance to win. I don't think we will be able to beat Alabama or LSU consistently or any other team that is up like LSU was this past year but I also don't believe we should be getting our brains beat out 35-7 by those teams either. My expectation is to be like we were against Alabama in the 1990's when they were NC caliber. We had close losses in 1991, 1992, and 1994 that could have gone either way and in 1993 our QB room was decimated. 1996 we kept it close but won. After Stallings left Alabama declined. And yes, I think we will see Alabama regress some after Saban leaves but they'll still be one of the better teams in the SEC.

Pretty much all I'm asking for is a chance to win.

OLJWales
02-07-2020, 06:36 PM
I think we are very fortunate to have Leach. I'm guessing the blue bloods were afraid to do so?

dawgday166
02-07-2020, 06:51 PM
Nice discussion but I'm already sold on all of this. I believe the upside is really, really good with Leach. Love that his entire staff seems so loyal to him too. If that is like I perceive it to be, then coaching turnover should be minimal in any given year.

Also like the effort they put into recruiting. Really like that he's not afraid to get on a plane and fly to Cali (skill talent) or Iowa (corn fed Olinemen). I kinda believe that over an entire recruiting year the rankings may move up from high 20s to very low 20s or maybe even somewhat consistently in high teens.

ScoobaDawg
02-07-2020, 06:53 PM

Depends. Does Bama call Swinney and offer him the whole bank and more to come home and he keep it going? We can only hope he says no with what he built there and they have a string of 2 bad coaches that can't get it done and set's them back 5 years or so. I don't see Greg letting that happen though. It's a different world now than it was post Gene Stallings and those 3.5 coaches between him and Saban.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2020, 07:06 PM
I think we are very fortunate to have Leach. I'm guessing the blue bloods were afraid to do so?

The blue bloods care too much about his tweets and personality and didn?t want the risk.

DLGDawg
02-07-2020, 07:39 PM
Depends. Does Bama call Swinney and offer him the whole bank and more to come home and he keep it going? We can only hope he says no with what he built there and they have a string of 2 bad coaches that can't get it done and set's them back 5 years or so. I don't see Greg letting that happen though. It's a different world now than it was post Gene Stallings and those 3.5 coaches between him and Saban.
Good points. Saban has set the bar so high now. I hope turmoil and gnashing of teeth sets in quickly for whoever "follows" Saban. Ha.

DLGDawg
02-07-2020, 07:44 PM
There's a difference between compete and beat those teams consistently. I don't think any MSU fans are talking about going for a National Title. I also don't think we will be able to consistently beat Alabama with Saban as no one has really been able to do that other than maybe Mahlzahn and even then he probably has a losing record against them without looking and some of his wins have come down to the last play of the game at home going their way basically.

What I'm talking about is being in the game within one or two scores and basically having a chance to win. I don't think we will be able to beat Alabama or LSU consistently or any other team that is up like LSU was this past year but I also don't believe we should be getting our brains beat out 35-7 by those teams either. My expectation is to be like we were against Alabama in the 1990's when they were NC caliber. We had close losses in 1991, 1992, and 1994 that could have gone either way and in 1993 our QB room was decimated. 1996 we kept it close but won. After Stallings left Alabama declined. And yes, I think we will see Alabama regress some after Saban leaves but they'll still be one of the better teams in the SEC.

Pretty much all I'm asking for is a chance to win.

Very well stated. Being "out" of the game at the end of the first quarter sucked.
I'm going to be anxious to see what we really have, talent wise, after sec level strength and conditioning during the off-season. Plus having a coach who has a clue wont hurt anything either.

Coach34
02-07-2020, 07:51 PM
Cant wait to see it vs SEC DLines. Gonna be interesting

HailStateSZN19
02-07-2020, 08:17 PM

I’m sure Leach can’t wait to have an SEC OL to work with too. Should be a pretty solid OL group with a much less complicated blocking scheme. I think everything in this offense being simplified is going to make some position groups look better than what we think they will perform like just because of it being simplified and they’re reacting and just playing instead of thinking so damn much.

DLGDawg
02-07-2020, 08:19 PM

Yep. All aspects.
Just like Jackie's first year and ******* first year, we'll be able to tell pretty quick whether Leach will work in the SEC. Our record may not be any better but we'll know.

Coach34
02-07-2020, 08:23 PM
I’m sure Leach can’t wait to have an SEC OL to work with too. Should be a pretty solid OL group with a much less complicated blocking scheme. I think everything in this offense being simplified is going to make some position groups look better than what we think they will perform like just because of it being simplified and they’re reacting and just playing instead of thinking so damn much.

SEC DL's are filled with animals. 1 on 1's usually favors the D. I personally think Leach will be forced to change instead of him forcing Defenses to change. We shall see

HailStateSZN19
02-07-2020, 08:28 PM
SEC DL's are filled with animals. 1 on 1's usually favors the D. I personally think Leach will be forced to change instead of him forcing Defenses to change. We shall see

Force Leach to change what exactly? Because he isn’t known for doing that very often, if at all. It’s not like he’s expecting our OL to block for 5 seconds or that this offense even needs that. It’s a lot of quick passes and getting the ball out isn’t it? I think we have the OL talent next year to do pretty well. Of course we will have some struggles with Bama & LSU with their DL talent, but I think with the talent and experience we bring back, our OL could be solid next year with a simplified scheme. We shall see indeed. Here’s to hoping Leach doesn’t have to change a damn thing.

Coach34
02-07-2020, 08:44 PM
Force Leach to change what exactly? Because he isn’t known for doing that very often, if at all. It’s not like he’s expecting our OL to block for 5 seconds or that this offense even needs that. It’s a lot of quick passes and getting the ball out isn’t it? .

No Sir. The Mesh route is not a quick throw at all with SEC athletes on defense taking away the inside throw while being physical. I hope he can keep the wide line splits but my gut tells me we will slide it in during October when all those future draft picks start rushing the passer.

Cowbell
02-07-2020, 10:05 PM

It's not like this is news to anyone that has coached at this level very long. It was to Joe because he was completely ignorant to true southern football. He knows everything you are saying. He will get this to work. He made this system work in the Big 12 at multiple schools when they actually played defense. He was completely mismatched on the line a lot of the times at Tech.
The key is if we practice hard against our on D and make it work against our own animals on the front 7. That was Joes biggest mistake.

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2020, 10:12 PM

YEP.....unreal that we are on the same damn page. The corona virus may just be the start of the zombie apocolypse.

RezDog7
02-07-2020, 11:18 PM

So being successful with much less pac 12 talent vs good pac 12 talent won't translate to the SEC? I mean, MSU is in the SEC, so it stands to reason we have SEC talent as well. Like always, you just like to make sure everybody knows we are going suck so when we lose a game to Bama you can say "I told you so." But truth is, we are probably going to lose that game no matter who the damn coach is.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-07-2020, 11:52 PM
No Sir. The Mesh route is not a quick throw at all with SEC athletes on defense taking away the inside throw while being physical. I hope he can keep the wide line splits but my gut tells me we will slide it in during October when all those future draft picks start rushing the passer.

The great coach is here to impart his football wisdom on us and cast shadows on all our excitement..eye roll*

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2020, 11:58 PM

Well, he's won everywhere he's been, so I'm sure he'll do what's necessary to win.

That being said, how many teams do we play that have above and beyond DLs than PAC 12 teams? 3 or 4 max?

Todd4State
02-08-2020, 01:14 AM
It's not like this is news to anyone that has coached at this level very long. It was to Joe because he was completely ignorant to true southern football. He knows everything you are saying. He will get this to work. He made this system work in the Big 12 at multiple schools when they actually played defense. He was completely mismatched on the line a lot of the times at Tech.
The key is if we practice hard against our on D and make it work against our own animals on the front 7. That was Joes biggest mistake.

Let's not forget that Leach made it work at Kentucky. Late 1990's Kentucky who had a worse profile than we do now and they were a team that was way more run heavy before Mumme and Leach took over than we are now. So Leach has been in the SEC before and knows what the league is all about.

You're 100% correct about Joe being too soft and also undisciplined. That shows up on gameday in the SEC in a big way.

ckDOG
02-08-2020, 09:00 AM
https://twitter.com/WestCoastCFB/status/1225484094034731008

Don't necessarily disagree with the overall point of this tweet, but I bet this list also has an inverse relationship with 247 subscriptions. Point being that the teams with a big subscriber base are likely to get a bump to keep the money flowing whereas the WSUs wouldn't. This would certainly influence a stat like this.

No facts to back that up - just gut feeling.

boot
02-08-2020, 09:21 AM
This is WSU @ Auburn back in 2013. The offensive line seems to hold up well enough.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I0dxwNV96Uk

Jarius
02-08-2020, 10:04 AM

I'm sure you could turn on the Kentucky tape from the late 90s and see for yourself what he did to all those sec defensive lines.

Tbonewannabe
02-08-2020, 11:30 AM
Don't necessarily disagree with the overall point of this tweet, but I bet this list also has an inverse relationship with 247 subscriptions. Point being that the teams with a big subscriber base are likely to get a bump to keep the money flowing whereas the WSUs wouldn't. This would certainly influence a stat like this.

I think this has a lot to do with WSU is actually in a worse place to recruit than any other team in the Pac 12 along with not much more support than USM. What would USM look like if their recruiting and fan support stayed the same but they played in the SEC West? Leach has basically gotten two different teams in P5 conferences to compete at a high level that would be equal to what you would do at Vandy. Both of those teams have been historically really bad and Texas Tech hasn't been very good since Leach left.

He came to MSU because he wants to see how successful he can be when the playing field is at least slightly more level. MSU can recruit a better team from within 4 hours compared to 14 hours at WSU.

dawgday166
02-08-2020, 11:48 AM
This is WSU @ Auburn back in 2013. The offensive line seems to hold up well enough.

I thought so too. Leach ain't a dummy either. If he needs to close the gaps some I think he will. He'll figure it out IMO.

Coach34
02-08-2020, 12:38 PM
So being successful with much less pac 12 talent vs good pac 12 talent won't translate to the SEC? I mean, MSU is in the SEC, so it stands to reason we have SEC talent as well. Like always, you just like to make sure everybody knows we are going suck so when we lose a game to Bama you can say "I told you so." But truth is, we are probably going to lose that game no matter who the damn coach is.

Overreact much? We are talking football philosophy. Wide line splits vs SEC Defenses. Will Leach be able to continue that or be forced to close it down some? I believe he will be forced to close it down. Some think we will be fine and roll on. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm very excited to watch Leach coach in the SEC
Good coaches adjust and Leach has proven to be a good coach.

gravedigger
02-08-2020, 12:39 PM
These have me excited and why I think Leach is going to be similar to Sherrill.

https://twitter.com/WestCoastCFB/status/1225499281488064512

Sherrill changed our fans thinking that we were perpetually doomed to the bottom of the conference in football. That we couldn't, on a yearly basis be competitive with the top. Only token games. That bowls were once or twice every 10 years.

Leach won't be doing that. He will change our perception of offensive effectiveness. That will only feel positive if our defense doesn't turn into ole miss/ pac 12 bad.

I think you are correct though. After a few years, we will get that Sherrill swagger back.

I want bama, LSU, Auburn and Georgia dreading to play us again.

OLJWales
02-08-2020, 02:59 PM

Thank you for this video. All EDers need to watch. If my assumptions are right, Leach is gonna have a more talented O-Line to work with. Can you imagine how lethal that would make draw plays?

I also noticed AU was getting really pissed off at the number of catches they were giving up and were laying heavy wood on the receivers who were continually bouncing right up after having the shit knocked out of them.

Time to be excited State fans.

Todd4State
02-08-2020, 03:53 PM

The good news for us is we play at least six teams with larger subscriber bases a year. I think their ratings are also somewhat based on who the coach is as well. "Oh, Alabama wants you? Four star!"

Todd4State
02-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Sherrill changed our fans thinking that we were perpetually doomed to the bottom of the conference in football. That we couldn't, on a yearly basis be competitive with the top. Only token games. That bowls were once or twice every 10 years.

Leach won't be doing that. He will change our perception of offensive effectiveness. That will only feel positive if our defense doesn't turn into ole miss/ pac 12 bad.

I think you are correct though. After a few years, we will get that Sherrill swagger back.

I want bama, LSU, Auburn and Georgia dreading to play us again.

It is a different era for MSU football. We get to build on what Sherrill and Mullen built. I feel like MSU fans and administration are starting to get on the same page.

OLJWales
02-08-2020, 04:11 PM
It is a different era for MSU football. We get to build on what Sherrill and Mullen built. I feel like MSU fans and administration are starting to get on the same page.

Agreed. It just seems Mississippi High School Football has elevated over the last 20 years as well. It used to be that outsider blue bloods had an inside track on our in-state talent and that no longer seems to be the case.

We CAN develop something special at State. It just takes long hours and hard work but it CAN be done.

Turfdawg67
02-08-2020, 04:58 PM

The O was very effective and moved the ball at will. Their QB missed a bunch and there were a lot of drops too. But the one HUGE takeaway that I saw... the first time we are down at the half and have 19 yds rushing, we'll have to endure RTGDF ad nauseam! Ha!

maroonmania
02-08-2020, 05:11 PM

Uh, Mumme and Leach have already been successful with this offense at KY. Last I checked KY was in the SEC. Is the average SEC defense THAT much better 20 years later? Personally, if you can do it well, I think you have a better chance to beat teams with great DLs through the air than on the ground. Thats why Freeze could beat Bama but Mullen never could.

Todd4State
02-08-2020, 05:58 PM
Uh, Mumme and Leach have already been successful with this offense at KY. Last I checked KY was in the SEC. Is the average SEC defense THAT much better 20 years later? Personally, if you can do it well, I think you have a better chance to beat teams with great DLs through the air than on the ground. Thats why Freeze could beat Bama but Mullen never could.

I'd say offensive players are better now than they were 20 years ago too.

Todd4State
02-08-2020, 05:59 PM
The O was very effective and moved the ball at will. Their QB missed a bunch and there were a lot of drops too. But the one HUGE takeaway that I saw... the first time we are down at the half and have 19 yds rushing, we'll have to endure RTGDF ad nauseam! Ha!

Oh you know it's coming. I'll still probably respond to it because I can't help myself.

Jarius
02-08-2020, 10:38 PM
I'd say offensive players are better now than they were 20 years ago too.

The rules of the game also favor the offense ten times more today than the last time Leach was lightning up SEC defenses in the best division in college football.