PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Kirk Douglas

BeardoMSU
02-06-2020, 09:46 AM
103 years old. Wow. So many great movies of his I grew up watching...

Spartacus
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Paths of Glory
The Vikings

...to name a few.

Prediction? Pain.
02-06-2020, 10:29 AM
Hear hear, Beardo. Dude was a classic in every sense of the word. When Disney+ launched last year, the first thing I was going to watch -- yes, even before the Mandalorian -- was never in doubt: 20,000 Leagues, which I hadn't seen in decades but which I'd nearly memorized after years of watching.

Your picks are great, of course. And Seven Days in May is another one of my favorites of his. If you want to catch a couple of his Oscar-nominated performances (Lust for Life and the Bad and the Beautiful), they come up next week during TCM's 31 Days of Oscar.

And, yeah, 103; damn.

BeardoMSU
02-06-2020, 10:36 AM
Hear hear, Beardo. Dude was a classic in every sense of the word. When Disney+ launched last year, the first thing I was going to watch -- yes, even before the Mandalorian -- was never in doubt: 20,000 Leagues, which I hadn't seen in decades but which I'd nearly memorized after years of watching.

Your picks are great, of course. And Seven Days in May is another one of my favorites of his. If you want to catch a couple of his Oscar-nominated performances (Lust for Life and the Bad and the Beautiful), they come up next week during TCM's 31 Days of Oscar.

And, yeah, 103; damn.

Thanks, man. Lol at Disney+, and right there with you. I think I watched 20,000 third, though...after Swiss Family Robinson and Davy Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier (two other favorites growing up).

Lust for Life is great, and thanks for mentioning that one (that title is also a favorite song of mine, compliments of Iggy Pop).

I've been watching the hell out of TCM. Caught the Apartment (with Jack Lemmon) last night; hilarious movie.

Dawgface
02-06-2020, 10:38 AM
Wow....103. Lot's of great movies. May he RIP.

Commercecomet24
02-06-2020, 11:01 AM
Great actor! I saw him do a one man show at the LaMirada Theatre back in the mid 80s, it was incredible! RIP Kirk!

Prediction? Pain.
02-06-2020, 12:23 PM
Thanks, man. Lol at Disney+, and right there with you. I think I watched 20,000 third, though...after Swiss Family Robinson and Davy Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier (two other favorites growing up).

Lust for Life is great, and thanks for mentioning that one (that title is also a favorite song of mine, compliments of Iggy Pop).

I've been watching the hell out of TCM. Caught the Apartment (with Jack Lemmon) last night; hilarious movie.

Swiss Family Robinson (the 50s/60s one, not the original (both are on Disney+)) is another of my favs. I've been holding off on it with the intent to share it with my kids soon.

The TCM app is like crack. Every movie the channel shows is on demand for between a week and a month after it airs. My watch list usually goes 15 movies deep and the quality of the movies on it puts my Netflix que to shame.

The Apartment is awesome. Love Billy Wilder and that's one of his best.

Speaking of Douglas living to an almost unheard of age, did you know Olivia de Havilland is still alive at 103? I mean, she played Maid Marion opposite Errol freaking Flynn. That's nuts.

TrapGame
02-06-2020, 12:45 PM
I. AM. SPARTACUS.

The last great old school cinema icon.