PDA

View Full Version : Buy Or Sell: KJ Costello Will Be 1st Team All-SEC QB?

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:10 AM
I buy....

I think he's clearly the best QB in the league this year.

I put the QBs in tiers this year & I think Costello is clearly #1.

Here's a question: If you let every other SEC team have Costello for 1 season, would he start for them? Politics aside, I think so. I think all 14 SEC teams would start him this year if given the opportunity

Discuss...

Tier 1:
Costello - Most experienced, smartest, & most talented. Barring injury will almost assuredly lead the SEC in passing

Tier 2:
Mack Jones - Had some good moments & bad ones.
Bo Nix - Has accuracy issues
Kellen Mond - One read QB. Lots of experience though
Jamie Newman - I don't have a clue. Was solid at Wake though
Kyle Trask - Sneaky good.
Ryan Kilinski - Very talented, but offensive coaching sucks

Tier 3:

Jarrett Guarantano - Filler player. Empty suit. Just wears an orange jersey & plays QB
Felipe Franks - See Guarantano
Plumlee/Corral - talented in areas but severely flawed in others
Terry Wilson - talented but very flawed

Tier 4:
Myles Brennan - Is LSU really going to start this guy? Like really?
Vandy QB - Who cares
Mizzou QB - Who cares

msstate7
02-06-2020, 09:12 AM
Newman is good, and he's gonna have some killer weapons.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:15 AM
Newman is good, and he's gonna have some killer weapons.

He may be the sneaky alternative option

HailStateSZN19
02-06-2020, 09:18 AM
I personally think Costello could be the best QB in the SEC but the media won't vote him there pre-season. They'll put Newman, Mond, Trask, and even Nix ahead of him. Could see Mac Jones getting the Bama Bump ahead of him too. I don't agree with it, that's just what you can probably expect with the SEC homer media. I'd say the best QB in the SEC battle is between Costello-Newman-Trask just personally. And I'm saying this "pre-season" wise. After the season, I think he will end up 1st or 2nd team All-SEC with the #'s he will put up.

Dognabbit
02-06-2020, 09:22 AM
Need to slow this roll. Hoping for great things but installing a new offense with a QB who gets here in summer.... Love to see him sling it all over the yard to open receivers, but there might be that adjustment period

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:22 AM
I personally think Costello could be the best QB in the SEC but the media won't vote him there pre-season. They'll put Newman, Mond, Trask, and even Nix ahead of him. Could see Mac Jones getting the Bama Bump ahead of him too. I don't agree with it, that's just what you can probably expect with the SEC homer media. I'd say the best QB in the SEC battle is between Costello-Newman-Trask just personally. And I'm saying this "pre-season" wise. After the season, I think he will end up 1st or 2nd team All-SEC with the #'s he will put up.

You are probably right, but I think the Leach offense gives Costello credibility.

Any media member with a brain will likely believe that Costello will lead the SEC in passing. That alone with Costello's talent should get him preseason votes

smootness
02-06-2020, 09:24 AM
Jones will put up really good numbers because he's a good QB and has elite talent all around him. Trask should have a good year. Newman will be good, but it's hard to know if that offense will put up better numbers than they have recently. Nix could break out at any moment. And Mond is really good.

But I do agree that in terms of pure experience/talent and the kind of numbers you feel confident about them putting up, it's probably Costello at the top right now. He will probably get docked some for being in a Leach system and because we'll lose some games, but he is set up to do really, really well.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:24 AM
Need to slow this roll. Hoping for great things but installing a new offense with a QB who gets here in summer.... Love to see him sling it all over the yard to open receivers, but there might be that adjustment period

I'm not sure I agree.

I've listened to a bunch of interviews on Costello & apparently he's the most intelligent QB & best leader many of the Pac 12 people have seen in a while.

I think it's going to become clear pretty quickly that this guy is the real deal. Throw that in with Leach's history of getting less talented QBs up & running quickly in this offense & I have a feeling it won't take very long. Although I am glad the schedule starts off weaker.

I think Costello is a different animal from what I'm hearing

basedog
02-06-2020, 09:25 AM
Too early to know, let's see how the OL and receivers progress first. Offenses usually take a little more time, especially a first year QB in a system he hasn't played in yet.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Jones will put up really good numbers because he's a good QB and has elite talent all around him. Trask should have a good year. Newman will be good, but it's hard to know if that offense will put up better numbers than they have recently. Nix could break out at any moment. And Mond is really good.

But I do agree that in terms of pure experience/talent and the kind of numbers you feel confident about them putting up, it's probably Costello at the top right now. He will probably get docked some for being in a Leach system and because we'll lose some games, but he is set up to do really, really well.

I don't see it with Nix.

They lost their entire OL & Whitlow is in the transfer portal. I think Auburn could be in for a struggle this season

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Too early to know, let's see how the OL and receivers progress first. Offenses usually take a little more time, especially a first year QB in a system he hasn't played in yet.

Well.... of course it's too early to know.

That's why we put forth predictions. We prognosticate

We'd have nothing to discuss if we just always said, "it's too early to know"

HailStateSZN19
02-06-2020, 09:29 AM
You are probably right, but I think the Leach offense gives Costello credibility.

Any media member with a brain will likely believe that Costello will lead the SEC in passing. That alone with Costello's talent should get him preseason votes

Oh I'm with you Gun. With Leach's credibility and name recognition with his offense and Costello's hype as a legit top 4-5 QB draft prospect going into the 2019 season should be enough for media to know he's likely going to lead the SEC in passing.

Only problem is the part of your post I underlined and put in bold lol. You're assuming media members that vote on this stuff use their brains and not bias. It's just my own opinion that Costello will have to head "head and shoulders" a better year stats wise than anyone else to get 1st team because the media will be waiting to hand it to Newman at UGA or Jones at Bama or Nix at AU or Trask at UF. And we will probably have to win 9 games including bowl game as a team for him to get it as well. It's an individual award but we all know the media wants to give it to Bama/UGA/LSU/AU players if at all possible because they will win 10+ games.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:33 AM
Oh I'm with you Gun. With Leach's credibility and name recognition with his offense and Costello's hype as a legit top 4-5 QB draft prospect going into the 2019 season should be enough for media to know he's likely going to lead the SEC in passing.

Only problem is the part of your post I underlined and put in bold lol. You're assuming media members that vote on this stuff use their brains and not bias. It's just my own opinion that Costello will have to head "head and shoulders" a better year stats wise than anyone else to get 1st team because the media will be waiting to hand it to Newman at UGA or Jones at Bama or Nix at AU or Trask at UF. And we will probably have to win 9 games including bowl game as a team for him to get it as well. It's an individual award but we all know the media wants to give it to Bama/UGA/LSU/AU players if at all possible because they will win 10+ games.

You may be right, but I will say that many of the 1st team SEC honors don't have as much to do with record as awards like the Heisman

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 09:40 AM
Sell. They'll pick someone else and make up some reason like he's never faced a SEC team as their reason.

DEDawg
02-06-2020, 09:42 AM
Sell. The optimism here is getting out of control. I get there's reason to be excited but I'd pull it back a bit

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:43 AM
Sell. They'll pick someone else and make up some reason like he's never faced a SEC team as their reason.

I guess I'm talking about postseason. Not preseason

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:44 AM
Sell. The optimism here is getting out of control. I get there's reason to be excited but I'd pull it back a bit

Why? What's wrong with optimism?

basedog
02-06-2020, 09:44 AM
Well.... of course it's too early to know.

That's why we put forth predictions. We prognosticate

We'd have nothing to discuss if we just always said, "it's too early to know"

What is wrong with you? I said nothing wrong and posted my opinion, nothing more or less, why reply to "we", you should have said you to discuss. LOL

StarkVegasSteve
02-06-2020, 09:47 AM
Sell. As of now there's at least 3-4 QBs ahead of him just based on their league experience. Mond and Trask are the two big names returning, but you also have Bo Nix in his second season as well as Felipe Franks at Arkansas and Tyler Hilinski at USCe. Not saying that Costello couldn't be better than any of those guys, but it's unknown at this point. All those guys have started games in this conference and know what it's like.

smootness
02-06-2020, 09:47 AM
I don't see it with Nix.

They lost their entire OL & Whitlow is in the transfer portal. I think Auburn could be in for a struggle this season

Just saying, he was rated similar to Costello coming out of HS and is a good fit in that offense. So he could bust out at some point.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:51 AM
What is wrong with you? I said nothing wrong and posted my opinion, nothing more or less, why reply to "we", you should have said you to discuss. LOL

Nothings wrong with me. I just disagreed completely with the premise of your opinion.

I don't call you a name & didn't even say your name. Just disagreed.

DEDawg
02-06-2020, 09:53 AM
Why? What's wrong with optimism?

Nothing, within reason. Hence why I said it's been getting a bit out of control on here lately. I'm in the boat that I still hate the Leach hire so I'm probably too far on the other side of the spectrum though. Hopefully I'm wrong and Costello throws for 4k and 35 TD and Leach takes us to the Sugar Bowl

ShotgunDawg
Sell. As of now there's at least 3-4 QBs ahead of him just based on their league experience. Mond and Trask are the two big names returning, but you also have Bo Nix in his second season as well as Felipe Franks at Arkansas and Tyler Hilinski at USCe. Not saying that Costello couldn't be better than any of those guys, but it's unknown at this point. All those guys have started games in this conference and know what it's like.

I mean, Costello has started more games than all but Mond at the power 5 level.

ShotgunDawg
Nothing, within reason. Hence why I said it's been getting a bit out of control on here lately. I'm in the boat that I still hate the Leach hire so I'm probably too far on the other side of the spectrum though. Hopefully I'm wrong and Costello throws for 4k and 35 TD and Leach takes us to the Sugar Bowl

Why do you hate the Leach hire?

DEDawg
02-06-2020, 09:58 AM
Why do you hate the Leach hire?

Not going back down that rabbit hole. Like I said, I hope I'm eating my words a year from now. Hail State

StarkVegasSteve
02-06-2020, 10:21 AM
I mean, Costello has started more games than all but Mond at the power 5 level.

But as we know, the SEC is a completely different animal. Again, he could be better, but you can't argue that there isn't a MASSIVE unknown with him playing in this league. QB's always take time to adjust to the league.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 10:22 AM
But as we know, the SEC is a completely different animal. Again, he could be better, but you can't argue that there isn't a MASSIVE unknown with him playing in this league. QB's always take time to adjust to the league.

Bama, LSU, & Auburn are a different animal. The rest of the games are not.

I think the "SEC is a different animal" thing is overplayed. People that can play can play & people that can't can't

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 10:23 AM
I guess I'm talking about postseason. Not preseason

Sell if we go 7-5 or 6-6 like some suspect. Maybe if we have a special season he gets it.

BB30
02-06-2020, 10:25 AM
He may be that talented but we better find some WRs. You're only as good as your supporting cast at times and his is not overly talented. I know Leach makes it easier on them but we still have got to have some guys that can beat a man coverage and catch the football.

Brennan has some studs to throw the football to as do several other SEC schools.

Costello will potentially on paper have one of the worst WR corps in the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 10:32 AM
He may be that talented but we better find some WRs. You're only as good as your supporting cast at times and his is not overly talented. I know Leach makes it easier on them but we still have got to have some guys that can beat a man coverage and catch the football.

Brennan has some studs to throw the football to as do several other SEC schools.

I have a sneaky suspicion that our WRs are actually better than what we've seen under Joe & we'll pick up a grad transfer that will have an impact.

basedog
02-06-2020, 10:33 AM
Nothings wrong with me. I just disagreed completely with the premise of your opinion.

I don't call you a name & didn't even say your name. Just disagreed.

OK, Sell

basedog
02-06-2020, 10:36 AM

Yes to this. We lack speed big time.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 10:45 AM
Yes to this. We lack speed big time.

I wonder if Tulu & Heath will change that?

Furthermore, I think Leach's offenses have always lacked speed at WR. In fact, we may have more now than he's mostly ever had

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 10:56 AM
I have a sneaky suspicion that our WRs are actually better than what we've seen under Joe & we'll pick up a grad transfer that will have an impact.

I do too about the wide receivers. I know we want a grad transfer and we'll see how that shapes up in the spring.

Coursesuper
02-06-2020, 11:19 AM
Sell

99jc
02-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Costello is the best qb in the SEC this year starting out. He is a 5 year senior and has started in big games. Some of you are dumb as 17. That is all.

Dawgology
02-06-2020, 12:06 PM
It'll be Nix because Auburn QB's are always pumped up by the media before actual football begins.

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 12:20 PM
It'll be Nix because Auburn QB's are always pumped up by the media before actual football begins.

This is true. They pumped him up as a true freshman because his Dad played there.

BB30
02-06-2020, 12:21 PM
Costello is the best qb in the SEC this year starting out. He is a 5 year senior and has started in big games. Some of you are dumb as 17. That is all.

Who is he going to be throwing the ball to that isn't a sunbelt type WR? He may very well be the most talented QB in the SEC. Problem is he can't throw the ball to himself he has to have a supporting cast. Now, I do agree that we don't really know what we have in the WR department right now being that our WRs weren't necessarily used correctly the last couple of years but we still had a ton of drops which has very little to do with coaching.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 12:21 PM

Problem is that Nix isn't very good & Auburn will be worse this year

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 12:23 PM
Who is he going to be throwing the ball to that isn't a sunbelt type WR? He may very well be the most talented QB in the SEC. Problem is he can't throw the ball to himself he has to have a supporting cast. Now, I do agree that we don't really know what we have in the WR department right now being that our WRs weren't necessarily used correctly the last couple of years but we still had a ton of drops which has very little to do with coaching.

I'm reserving judgement on our WR crew. They were completely mis-used over the past two years & now will only have to learn about 25 plays & will thus play much faster.

Not saying I'm expecting a top half of the SEC WR unit at all, but I don't think it's nearly as poor as many think. They're about to put into a system & coached like they never have been.

BB30
02-06-2020, 12:23 PM

They may be better than what we have seen under Joe. That still doesn't mean they will be good enough to elevate Costello to 1st team all SEC. I mean that WR group this year was absolutely atrocious at catching the football. Even when they did get open it seemed like we had a pile of drops in big situations. We will have to find some help in this department.

Just haven't seen enough from that group to get all to excited about who will be throwing the ball to them.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 12:29 PM
They may be better than what we have seen under Joe. That still doesn't mean they will be good enough to elevate Costello to 1st team all SEC. I mean that WR group this year was absolutely atrocious at catching the football. Even when they did get open it seemed like we had a pile of drops in big situations. We will have to find some help in this department.

Just haven't seen enough from that group to get all to excited about who will be throwing the ball to them.

IDK.

Perhaps I'm overvaluing Leach's system & practice plan, but he's had a ton of success at repping things so much that guys get better.

Even yesterday in his presser he talked about how he doesn't want 5 QBs because he can't rep them all. Our WRs are about to have an experienced staff with chemistry & a complete understanding of what they're doing coaching them.

Turning meh WRs into studs is what Leach does. I think we may be pleasantly surprised.

raymonddawg
02-06-2020, 12:32 PM
Mond is severely overrated. I think Fitz is arguably a better QB.

1st Team Postseason? I'm going 1A Newman 1B Trask simply because they will be on really good teams.

Costello is the best pro prospect in the SEC this year and will most likely lead the league in passing yards. The key will be his health. Heathly Costello is going for 4,000 with 25/30 TDs and should definitely be in the conversation.

RiverCityDawg
02-06-2020, 01:41 PM

So who would be your guess as post season All SEC QB instead? Pretty lean group of QBs this year. K.J. will have the numbers barring injury or complete disaster. I think he has to be the odds on favorite in part because of the field.

ScoobaDawg
02-06-2020, 04:16 PM
Geez, So hey guys.. everyone get ready. We are gonna beat Bama this year and might just run the table. Costello clear out your closet for all those awards coming.. Heisman.. National Championship.

RiverCityDawg
02-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Geez, So hey guys.. everyone get ready. We are gonna beat Bama this year and might just run the table. Costello clear out your closet for all those awards coming.. Heisman.. National Championship.

Weird straw man. No one is saying that here, unless I'm over looking it.

Dak was first team All SEC in 2015 and we went 8-4. I could see something similar this year. Thinking Costello could be All SEC running a prolific passing offense in a year when the QB position seems to be down (or at least unproven) is not the same as saying we're going to run the table, win the National Championship and Costello win the Heisman.

Coursesuper
02-06-2020, 04:46 PM

**Amen brother!**

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 06:45 PM

Everyone check your ring size.**

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 06:48 PM
Weird straw man. No one is saying that here, unless I'm over looking it.

Dak was first team All SEC in 2015 and we went 8-4. I could see something similar this year. Thinking Costello could be All SEC running a prolific passing offense in a year when the QB position seems to be down (or at least unproven) is not the same as saying we're going to run the table, win the National Championship and Costello win the Heisman.

The difference is Dak had a track record coming into that season as a rising senior. I don't really see a ton of media talking up Costello. I do think politics plays a lot into who gets the postseason awards.

LC Dawg
02-06-2020, 09:27 PM
The first team all sec qb will probably be the qb of whichever of FL or GA wins the East. I hope Costello has a great year but we will have to have a few upsets or he will have to set multiple SEC records for him to get it.

NeuteredDawg
02-06-2020, 10:58 PM
Sell

BB30
02-07-2020, 11:21 AM
IDK.

Perhaps I'm overvaluing Leach's system & practice plan, but he's had a ton of success at repping things so much that guys get better.

Even yesterday in his presser he talked about how he doesn't want 5 QBs because he can't rep them all. Our WRs are about to have an experienced staff with chemistry & a complete understanding of what they're doing coaching them.

Turning meh WRs into studs is what Leach does. I think we may be pleasantly surprised.

I agree that the unit should be improved. I just don't believe the raw talent is there for them to make the kind of jump some of yall are expecting. Coaching helps alot but it doesn't tell the whole story. Last years WR group regardless of being undercoached etc. was probably one of the worst units we have ever filled as far as raw talent goes. We didn't have a single guy that would have gotten reps or started at most of the other SEC schools we are trying to catch up with. It will take leach a couple of years to get the guys he needs to run this offense at the level he wants too. And that is ok. We are going to have to have some patience and not get too worked up when the first big time SEC D shuts us down next year.

I can already see the melts and the " this isn't going to work here" excuses once we drop a game to a solid opponent. The talent just isn't there on the offensive side of the ball yet.

Jarius
02-07-2020, 12:08 PM

According to Mike Leach receivers dropping balls has everything to do with coaching and he says he can fix that pretty easily.

TrapGame
02-07-2020, 12:33 PM
According to Mike Leach receivers dropping balls has everything to do with coaching and he says he can fix that pretty easily.

Based on his track record I believe him.

thf24
02-07-2020, 04:08 PM
I'd be willing to bet a lot of the drops the past two years could be attributed to WR's struggling with the overly-complicated offense and not anticipating the ball coming their way soon enough or at the right time. I know we're not on the higher end of the talent spectrum at the position by any means, but it's hard to believe so many guys who were recruited to catch the ball struggled so badly strictly with the mechanical part of it if all other circumstances were favorable.

Jarius
02-07-2020, 04:24 PM
I'd be willing to bet a lot of the drops the past two years could be attributed to WR's struggling with the overly-complicated offense and not anticipating the ball coming their way soon enough or at the right time. I know we're not on the higher end of the talent spectrum at the position by any means, but it's hard to believe so many guys who were recruited to catch the ball struggled so badly strictly with the mechanical part of it if all other circumstances were favorable.

We also had a culture of not working very hard and not having consequences for your actions for the past 2 years.

Todd4State
02-07-2020, 04:51 PM
We also had a culture of not working very hard and not having consequences for your actions for the past 2 years.

I think this was the primary cause for all of our struggles in all phases of the game under Joe. Our defense in 2018 was just too good to screw up.

To your point how many times did we have a receiver drop a pass only to trot back out there on the next play and play the majority of the game?