PDA

View Full Version : Lane Kiffin could have signed many, but only wanted "elite" talent...

CadaverDawg
02-05-2020, 11:22 PM
I don't know where to start making fun of this post.

https://i.imgflip.com/3obvsw.jpg

Cooterpoot
02-05-2020, 11:24 PM
If by "elite talent" you mean a couple KDs.

BeardoMSU
02-05-2020, 11:26 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/7fW9FxuVWAoWQ/giphy.gif

Todd4State
02-05-2020, 11:34 PM
Stalked up talent is perfect way to describe Ole Miss recruiting.**

Here's the thing no one is talking about. When Kiffin was recruiting well he had one common denominator. That was Ed Orgeron on his staff at both Tennessee and USC. I have a feeling that Coach O was the mastermind as far as recruiting goes.

BeardoMSU
02-05-2020, 11:42 PM
Stalked up talent is perfect way to describe Ole Miss recruiting.**

Here's the thing no one is talking about. When Kiffin was recruiting well he had one common denominator. That was Ed Orgeron on his staff at both Tennessee and USC. I have a feeling that Coach O was the mastermind as far as recruiting goes.

Yup.

Also, this entitlement they have, not only that they deserve SEC ready players, but they'll get 'em, and developing talent is some how beneath them is ****ing hilarious.

Literally only a handful of programs in the country can say that, and even they need developmental players for depth, but no...not OM....they're just a **** hair away from relevancy, just like God intended.**

Even ole Not-a-Fan is touting this class hard as a mere "transition class", and he's calling his shot that next year's class will be top 10 to top 5...because yeah, LK has definitely shown that to be in his wheelhouse...

Todd4State
02-05-2020, 11:56 PM
Yup.

Also, this entitlement they have, not only that they deserve SEC ready players, but they'll get 'em, and developing talent is some how beneath them is ****ing hilarious.

Literally only a handful of programs in the country can say that, and even they need developmental players for depth, but no...not OM....they're just a **** hair away from relevancy, just like God intended.**

Even ole Not-a-Fan is touting this class hard as a mere "transition class", and he's calling his shot that next year's class will be top 10 to top 5...because yeah, LK has definitely shown that to be in his wheelhouse...

They've always had that entitlement. Before I started following football I thought they were the equivalent of an 8-3 team every year on the cusp of a few things going right and being in the National Title hunt. Then I did some research and I was shocked to see that Archie had more INT's than TD passes.

The thing about development is even Alabama develops their players to an extent. Right now from the outside looking in Ole Miss seems very unstable.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 12:51 AM
So... are they not going to field a team if they can't sign elite players?

MarketingBully
02-06-2020, 04:18 AM
Coaches are recruiting masterfully against them because the idiots hired a pariah in Durkin. Just dum-dums.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 08:45 AM
How could any recruit turn down this vibrant personality?*

It's not going to work. Kiffin is a coordinator. Not a head coach. He's an introvert like Norv Turner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWJWYf43Yss

TrapGame
02-06-2020, 08:57 AM
I guess that's supposed to be the reason they land that top 10 class out of the blue next season.

Martianlander
02-06-2020, 08:58 AM
Bet the guys he did sign like being told they are a transition class and ones in the future will be better. Really should make them feel good about their decision.

Santiago
02-06-2020, 09:03 AM
He keeps referencing "NFL ROSTER".....and going out to get transfers etc. Is that Ole Miss code for "free agency" and spend money.

Jack Lambert
02-06-2020, 09:06 AM
Why didn't he signned more. This means you are going to have a gap in total numbers on team. I just think he is not a recruiter.

KOdawg1
02-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Kiffin has a terrible personality. Seems so disinterested and awkward.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:20 AM
Kiffin has a terrible personality. Seems so disinterested and awkward.

This.

Say what you want about Freeze, but he was a southern evangelist. Kiffin is nothing of the sort.

This personality won't play in living rooms.

StateDawg44
02-06-2020, 09:20 AM
It's definitely interesting to watch.

If I were an OM fan I would be extremely worried through this offseason and praying the product pans out. His twitter personality dwarfs his real personality. Dudes a fat slob.

For realistic fans, next year is probably expected to be similar to the past couple of years they've had.

But year 2 will heat up significantly if he swings and misses as bad as he did this year and pulls this type of excuse giving after next year's recruiting cycle. We thought Moorhead was in over his head. He will be forced to cheat next year out of desperation. Not saying anyone will have to twist his arm or anything though.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:31 AM
BTW, Justin Fuente just had the 70th ranked class at VT.

WTH is going on?

Did he quit?

codeDawg
02-06-2020, 09:31 AM
This guy is available:

https://www.arklatexhomepage.com/news/local-news/northwood-hs-football-player-signing-ole-miss-commitment-letter-a-hoax/

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2020, 09:40 AM
As a long time USC fan it will probably only get worse.

defiantdog
02-06-2020, 09:44 AM
How could any recruit turn down this vibrant personality?*

It's not going to work. Kiffin is a coordinator. Not a head coach. He's an introvert like Norv Turner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWJWYf43Yss

Lane needs to lay off the donuts..... boy is getting fat.

defiantdog
02-06-2020, 09:47 AM

WTH is going on?

Did he quit?
He's also having a bunch of players threaten to go in the transfer portal.

DawgPoundtheRock
02-06-2020, 09:47 AM
Ole Miss has a top 40 class this year (39). They rank 12th in the SEC ahead of Mizzou and Vandy. But they’re elite.

Ari Gold
02-06-2020, 09:48 AM
By year three he won’t be in Oxford.

BeardoMSU
02-06-2020, 09:50 AM

Lol, yep. A place that literally recruits itself, and he found a way to **** that up.

I expected him to at least have a chip on his shoulder, and coach with something to prove, but OM peeps thinking that 1) he's some great recruiter, and 2) he is going to take them to heights that matched or surpassed Freeze was pure fantasy.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 09:50 AM

Leach is about to blow the doors off of him.

There is no question that Leach is a far superior coach & that Ole Miss would have to recruit significantly better than him to win.

Early indications is that looks like it won't happen & that Leach will actually have the superior roster.

I wonder if Ole Miss season ticket sales are about to take a dip?

BeardoMSU
02-06-2020, 09:55 AM

I doubt it. Despite yesterday's failure, their fan base is definitely rejuvenated behind Lane....but that honeymoon will be over as **** when they sit at 1-4 by the first week of October.

TrapGame
02-06-2020, 10:01 AM

If we beat them this season and next it will be hell in oxford. 5 EBs in a row will send them over the edge.

defiantdog
02-06-2020, 10:04 AM
Leach is about to blow the doors off of him.

There is no question that Leach is a far superior coach & that Ole Miss would have to recruit significantly better than him to win.

Early indications is that looks like it won't happen & that Leach will actually have the superior roster.

Kiffin has yet to talk about the future of the team and keeps saying he's going to get better players NEXT TIME. I don't think he's humbled enough to recruit Mississippi. In his mind..... he's too good to sit down and talk to 3* players. Leach knows what he's doing. He's more focused on the team and organizing a structure. That's why he has a Recruiting Team. And he holds them accountable. Kiffin is collecting a paycheck.

thf24
02-06-2020, 10:05 AM
Either sign elite talent or don't sign anyone, leaving giant holes in the classes you have misses in. Seems like a winning strategy for sure. Everyone's got dumb football fans, but the complete lack of awareness displayed by so many of theirs is just staggering.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 10:05 AM
Guys....

they're getting dumber. Absolutely zero evidence that Kiffin is capable of this. Absolutely zero. They're grasping at straws

https://i.imgur.com/2DO2kdv.jpg

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 10:08 AM
Kiffin has yet to talk about the future of the team and keeps saying he's going to get better players NEXT TIME. I don't think he's humbled enough to recruit Mississippi. In his mind..... he's too good to sit down and talk to 3* players. Leach knows what he's doing. He's more focused on the team and organizing a structure. That's why he has a Recruiting Team. And he holds them accountable. Kiffin is collecting a paycheck.

The attitudes of the two coaches are difference due to their backgrounds.

Kiffin has only recruited to blue bloods (FAU doesn't count). He doesn't get how to win at a place like OM..

Leach has only recruited to outposts. So in his view, MSU is a gold mine that offers more resources to mine talent & develop players.

HailStateSZN19
02-06-2020, 10:10 AM
Rosie has to be sitting there just getting giddy at the idea of how quickly he's going to be able to write the sequel to Flim Flam lol.

NCAA will be back in Oxford in no time if they start signing top 10-15 classes again next season. This is going to be glorious to watch them crash & burn with Kiffin leading them to their demise.

They seriously think this dude is the second coming of like Nick Saban. They really think he's about to start pulling top 10 classes and challenging for the entire SEC in a year or 2 and think he could have them in the playoffs in like 3-5 years. This shit is just comedic. They need some serious help.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 10:13 AM
Rosie has to be sitting there just getting giddy at the idea of how quickly he's going to be able to write the sequel to Flim Flam lol.

NCAA will be back in Oxford in no time if they start signing top 10-15 classes again next season. This is going to be glorious to watch them crash & burn with Kiffin leading them to their demise.

They seriously think this dude is the second coming of like Nick Saban. They really think he's about to start pulling top 10 classes and challenging for the entire SEC in a year or 2 and think he could have them in the playoffs in like 3-5 years. This shit is just comedic. They need some serious help.

Even if Ole Miss cheats like they did before, I don't think Kiffin has the personality nor the desperation & drive to come close to pulling it off like Freeze did.

I just don't see it

gtowndawg
02-06-2020, 10:30 AM
I still don't understand. Even if you think some guys aren't great by signing a small class you are basically self imposing probation for year. Am I missing something? Will they over sign next year?

MedDawg
02-06-2020, 10:34 AM
I guess that's supposed to be the reason they land that top 10 class out of the blue next season.

Many OM fans have stated as fact they will sign a Top 10-15 class next year, and at least a few have stated Top 5-10.

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 10:36 AM
I still don't understand. Even if you think some guys aren't great by signing a small class you are basically self imposing probation for year. Am I missing something? Will they over sign next year?

I may be wrong but I think you can only roll over five spots max a year. You can't just pool spots if you think there are 30 legit 4-5 star recruits you can the next year.

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 10:41 AM
Even if Ole Miss cheats like they did before, I don't think Kiffin has the personality nor the desperation & drive to come close to pulling it off like Freeze did.

I just don't see it

He'll do something to piss off the Network. Like lose to us. And then they'll cut him. Their repeat violator status complicates things for them. They can't just go all in suddenly like they did last time. They may never do that again once the fallout completely settles.

They were stupid to keep Luke ironically because they won the Egg Bowl. They needed a retread who could build a program and wasn't worried about record. They essentially wasted two years. And if Kiffin doesn't work out it's only going to be a bigger hole to dig out of.

StarkVegasSteve
02-06-2020, 11:08 AM

I just don't see it

This is probably the truth. Hugh learned how to recruit from Ed so he knew how to close on top of the bagmen. Kiffin has always thought he was superior and let Ed do all that work in the recruiting and then he'd take the credit for it.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 11:12 AM
This is probably the truth. Hugh learned how to recruit from Ed so he knew how to close on top of the bagmen. Kiffin has always thought he was superior and let Ed do all that work in the recruiting and then he'd take the credit for it.

Freeze was charismatic & persuasive. Kiffin is a dud introvert

TrapGame
02-06-2020, 11:14 AM
Many OM fans have stated as fact they will sign a Top 10-15 class next year, and at least a few have stated Top 5-10.

The boosters gotta boost.

gtowndawg
02-06-2020, 11:23 AM
I may be wrong but I think you can only roll over five spots max a year. You can't just pool spots if you think there are 30 legit 4-5 star recruits you can the next year.

That's my understanding as well Todd...

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 11:28 AM
I'll give Kiffin this.

With the transfer portal in full bloom, it does make more sense to hold spots for transfers rather than signing players you don't think can play for you.

Taking developmental guys that don't really fit doesn't make any sense to me in this day and age.

Jack Lambert
02-06-2020, 11:52 AM
I'll give Kiffin this.

With the transfer portal in full bloom, it does make more sense to hold spots for transfers rather than signing players you don't think can play for you.

Taking developmental guys that don't really fit doesn't make any sense to me in this day and age.

You can't build a long sustaining program doing that. However Griffin isn't there for the long run.

Dawgology
02-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Congrats Ole Miss. you just hired your very own Joe Moorhead. Good luck!!

TrapGame
02-06-2020, 12:16 PM

Lane Luke? or Lanevester?

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 12:18 PM
I'll give Kiffin this.

I think it's pretty hard to find true impact guys in the portal because you still have to compete with blue bloods for them and they aren't going to spend their final year at Ole Miss if they can go somewhere like Ohio State or Georgia.

FISHDAWG
02-06-2020, 12:19 PM

Nah ... he just needs a few phone numbers from Freeze and presto !!!

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 12:36 PM
You can't build a long sustaining program doing that. However Griffin isn't there for the long run.

You can't build a long sustaining program by signing bad players either.

May as well make your NOW team better if given the option. Signing good HS players is certainly the preference though

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 12:39 PM
I think it's pretty hard to find true impact guys in the portal because you still have to compete with blue bloods for them and they aren't going to spend their final year at Ole Miss if they can go somewhere like Ohio State or Georgia.

No doubt, but it's still preferable to signing bad HS players.

That's one thing I'm excited about with Leach is that I think we're going to be a real factor in the transfer portal for QBs & WRs every year because we have such an extreme product to sell.

We're literally the only major conference team that can offer a QB the chance to throw 50 times & a WR the chance for 80+ catches.

That's going to be attractive

confucius say
02-06-2020, 12:51 PM

May as well make your NOW team better if given the option. Signing good HS players is certainly the preference though

But define "bad." Two star guys like Calhoun and McKinney? There are several solid three star guys that could be developed into good players that can help your program and create class/roster balance, as opposed to destroying your roster balance and taking 1 year grad transfer guys.

I'm all for taking no doubt transfers like Costello, but undersigning by 5 guys to rely on the portal will throw off your class balance.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 01:11 PM
But define "bad." Two star guys like Calhoun and McKinney? There are several solid three star guys that could be developed into good players that can help your program and create class/roster balance, as opposed to destroying your roster balance and taking 1 year grad transfer guys.

I'm all for taking no doubt transfers like Costello, but undersigning by 5 guys to rely on the portal will throw off your class balance.

I mean, you have to win enough in the first 3 years for class balance to even matter.

You think JoMo wishes he went with class balance or more impact NOW players?

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 01:16 PM
I mean, you have to win enough in the first 3 years for class balance to even matter.

He did both. See Tommy Stevens and Isiah Zuber. The real problem was he sucked as a coach and would have underachieved even if we had LSU's talent.

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 01:17 PM
No doubt, but it's still preferable to signing bad HS players.

That's one thing I'm excited about with Leach is that I think we're going to be a real factor in the transfer portal for QBs & WRs every year because we have such an extreme product to sell.

We're literally the only major conference team that can offer a QB the chance to throw 50 times & a WR the chance for 80+ catches.

That's going to be attractive

Yes we have an extreme but at some point I'm hoping we don't have to rely on the transfer portal and JUCO's as much.

confucius say
02-06-2020, 01:26 PM

Lack of going after NOW players was the least of his worries. I actually like the way he did it. Good recruiting classes with balance mixed with a splash of instant impact portal guys.

shoeless joe
02-06-2020, 02:33 PM
Lane Luke? or Lanevester?

LaMo

TrapGame
02-06-2020, 03:15 PM
LaMo

Pronounced Lame-O?

Commercecomet24
02-06-2020, 03:17 PM
Wow that video of Kiffin is awful. I speak in front of medium to large groups quite often and while I may not be the best I know what you have to do to motivate and get people interested in what you're saying. The guy makes poor eye, contact, no voice projection, monotone, poor body language and facial expressions. I could go on but I know y'all all see it too. I didn't realize he was so dull and unenthusiastic. I wouldn't want to play for or let my kid play for a coach like that.

Coursesuper
02-06-2020, 03:22 PM
Wow that video of Kiffin is awful. I speak in front of medium to large groups quite often and while I may not be the best I know what you have to do to motivate and get people interested in what you're saying. The guy makes poor eye, contact, no voice projection, monotone, poor body language and facial expressions. I could go on but I know y'all all see it too. I didn't realize he was so dull and unenthusiastic. I wouldn't want to play for or let my kid play for a coach like that.

He can't carry that back to a team meeting can he? How do lead with that kind of demeanor, who would follow that?

TrapGame
02-06-2020, 03:26 PM
He did both. See Tommy Stevens and Isiah Zuber. The real problem was he sucked as a coach and would have underachieved even if we had LSU's talent.

Truth. Joe is not P5 head coaching material. I doubt he ever will be.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 03:49 PM
I didn't realize he was so dull and unenthusiastic..

This is the massive misconception that the media & twitter have created. He has no personality & I think he has self esteem issues.

Twitter & Saban not letting him speak created an alternate reality perception of him

I'm honestly not sure he makes it to year 4

confucius say
02-06-2020, 03:54 PM
This is the massive misconception that the media & twitter have created. He has no personality & I think he has self esteem issues.

Twitter & Saban not letting him speak created an alternate reality perception of him

I'm honestly not sure he makes it to year 4

His twitter personality and real life personality are about as far apart as anybody I've ever seen

Commercecomet24
02-06-2020, 04:20 PM
He can't carry that back to a team meeting can he? How do lead with that kind of demeanor, who would follow that?

No one lol. If I was an ole miss fan after watching that press conference I would be very concerned. Dude acted like he didn't care. Al Davis did say Kiffin was a psycho and if anyone knows psychos it's Al Davis!

Jack Lambert
02-06-2020, 04:40 PM

Are you saying the high school guys we sign are bad players or you just saying something any one who follows football knows?

You take transfers out of the portal for two reasons. 1. They are really good and want to come to your school. OR 2. They are someone who can fill in a gap. Other then that if you bring to many you will have to keep bringing them in and if you miss you are screwed. You build a program buy signing high school guys and developing them. This how you build your two and three deep. Can't do that with transfers.

MedDawg
02-06-2020, 04:45 PM

Kiffin's class is currently #39. Moorhead achieved classes of #27 and #24.

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 05:41 PM
Kiffin's class is currently #39. Moorhead achieved classes of #27 and #24.

They've been in the 30's ever since probation except for last year. The thing about that class is Ealy and Plumlee were two of their better and higher rated recruits and I'm not sure that Kiffin is going to use them. I think he prefers bigger running backs and QB's that can throw and are more like Corral. I've also heard he doesn't want guys that play other sports which is the case with both of them. I can't believe that Plumlee would be OK switching to slot receiver.

RocketDawg
02-06-2020, 06:45 PM

WTH is going on?

Did he quit?

That's pretty bad. Somewhat related, I heard that the 13 or so players who entered the transfer portal are not welcome back at Va Tech. Those potential transfers who didn't get picked up by another school just blew a bunch of scholarship money. I don't blame the school for not taking them back.

gtowndawg
02-06-2020, 07:02 PM
They've been in the 30's ever since probation except for last year. The thing about that class is Ealy and Plumlee were two of their better and higher rated recruits and I'm not sure that Kiffin is going to use them. I think he prefers bigger running backs and QB's that can throw and are more like Corral. I've also heard he doesn't want guys that play other sports which is the case with both of them. I can't believe that Plumlee would be OK switching to slot receiver.

Doesn't matter now but Plumlee has slot receiver for Mike Leach would be incredible to watch.

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 07:39 PM
That's pretty bad. Somewhat related, I heard that the 13 or so players who entered the transfer portal are not welcome back at Va Tech. Those potential transfers who didn't get picked up by another school just blew a bunch of scholarship money. I don't blame the school for not taking them back.

Sounds like a good place to look.

Doesn't matter now but Plumlee has slot receiver for Mike Leach would be incredible to watch.

I agree he would have been really good. I do kind of understand his viewpoint of wanting to play QB. It's going to have to be in a Rich Rod system though.

The Federalist Engineer
02-07-2020, 08:22 AM

Kiffin seems like the Benjamin Button of coaches. NFL, USC, Tennessee, and OC for Saban.

Ole Miss is where he should have started, before Tennessee, then USC, and then NFL

instead, he?s like a falling knife that OM decided to catch and hire. I could not care less who OM hires.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2020, 10:33 AM
His twitter personality and real life personality are about as far apart as anybody I've ever seen

They're slowly figuring it out, but not quite there yet

https://i.imgur.com/U1iWG9k.jpg

West Tn Dawg
02-09-2020, 11:42 AM
They had a post on FB begging for walk-on's! It's bad up there!https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p180x540/84700946_3763887423621689_2958235987286687744_o.pn g?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQndV7HYm6GivcJ5KBvqX-IHKpZQD7pRdQ60xWGMd-R6XUg6RHyHsvjKlvLPMyXzeyg&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=a4f5a5be355109fc6600e0965643e091&oe=5ECEFAAE

Todd4State
02-09-2020, 04:25 PM
They had a post on FB begging for walk-on's! It's bad up there!https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p180x540/84700946_3763887423621689_2958235987286687744_o.pn g?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQndV7HYm6GivcJ5KBvqX-IHKpZQD7pRdQ60xWGMd-R6XUg6RHyHsvjKlvLPMyXzeyg&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=a4f5a5be355109fc6600e0965643e091&oe=5ECEFAAE

Hey Ealy? Any of your boys from Prep up here in Oxford going to school?

SailingDawg
02-09-2020, 05:19 PM
They had a special event (https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2020/02/09/ole-miss-football-fans-excited-slow-national-signing-day/4692634002/) for $25 to hear Kiffin speak about their signing class. Clarion Kiffin is really pumping them up .

timotheus
02-09-2020, 07:09 PM
Did they have to turn the mic volume all the way up? He's so subdued, you can't hear him.

Todd4State
02-09-2020, 09:17 PM
Did they have to turn the mic volume all the way up? He's so subdued, you can't hear him.

He did look like he got out of bed and forgot that it was signing day and had to do a press conference.

Madisonmd
02-09-2020, 09:40 PM
Giving Kiffin 2 years before the wheels fall off. Social scene already getting interesting in Oxford.

Todd4State
02-09-2020, 09:50 PM
Giving Kiffin 2 years before the wheels fall off. Social scene already getting interesting in Oxford.

Actually took longer than I thought.

timotheus
02-10-2020, 07:56 AM
Will all this rain and weather make them reschedule the tryout today? They just can't have any luck.