PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it is time to give the "IB" his due.

Offshore Dawg
02-05-2020, 04:02 PM
1. The coach Leach hire seems to get everybody's approval. Even those of you that always argue with each other seem to be in agreement.
2. The name recognition alone will bring in certain recruits that would of never considered coming to State.
3. The depression of JoMo being here has been replaced with an excitement not seen since the Kang was announced as the dawgs next coach.

Todd4State
02-05-2020, 04:25 PM
I think the recognition is coming for Cohen but Leach has to deliver first. I am confident that he will.

Short term- big time kudos.

I think over time Leach will have a similar tenure as Sherrill but with fewer head scratching losses and upsets simply because of the fact that our program has risen naturally with the rise of the BCS from being in the SEC so we are now squarely above programs like USM, La Tech, and etc. which wasn't the case when Sherrill was here. We also have a lot more positive history on our side in football from Jackie and Dan mostly and going to ten straight bowls will start to pay dividends in the coming years. I would imagine that most high school kids now don't remember the last time we didn't go to a bowl. That's who we're starting to recruit now.

We also are running schemes that I think most players are going to have fun playing in on both sides of the ball. Wide open passing on offense and then a blitzing all out defense. Fun for me to watch too!

DownwardDawg
02-05-2020, 04:28 PM
I’ve never understood the dislike for Cohen. He’s going a great job and is an intense competitor. He’ll end up being the best AD we’ve ever had.

Todd4State
02-05-2020, 04:34 PM
I’ve never understood the dislike for Cohen. He’s going a great job and is an intense competitor. He’ll end up being the best AD we’ve ever had.

He's definitely had some learning moments as AD. No question about it. But comparing Moorhead and Leach it looks like he has learned.

DEDawg
02-05-2020, 04:37 PM
We were just this excited when JMo came in. You're a year too early for this thread I think

StarkVegasSteve
02-05-2020, 04:43 PM
I'll give him his due for finally canning Moorhead and making a great baseball hire. Anything else is premature at the moment.

Spiderman
02-05-2020, 04:45 PM
We were just this excited when JMo came in. You're a year too early for this thread I think

Not all of us.

Dawgface
02-05-2020, 04:49 PM

The level of excitement is greater this time. But it is too early to know how all this will turn out.

deadheaddawg
02-05-2020, 04:51 PM
The Moorhead HIRE was a good hire. Anyone that tries to act like it should be a bad mark on Cohen is an idiot. It didn't work out, but the initial hire was a good one.

All the cohen hate is rooted in people being emotional instead of being smart. Cohen has done a good job.

ShotgunDawg
02-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Here's what is also exciting.

With today's recruiting results, Leach will have more talent on his roster than Ole Miss for a least 2-3 more years.

He's probably going to beat the hell out of Kiffin.

MaroonFlounder
02-05-2020, 06:02 PM
A lot of unfair criticism for Cohen the last few months.

dawgday166
02-05-2020, 07:20 PM
I think the recognition is coming for Cohen but Leach has to deliver first. I am confident that he will.

Short term- big time kudos.

I think over time Leach will have a similar tenure as Sherrill but with fewer head scratching losses and upsets simply because of the fact that our program has risen naturally with the rise of the BCS from being in the SEC so we are now squarely above programs like USM, La Tech, and etc. which wasn't the case when Sherrill was here. We also have a lot more positive history on our side in football from Jackie and Dan mostly and going to ten straight bowls will start to pay dividends in the coming years. I would imagine that most high school kids now don't remember the last time we didn't go to a bowl. That's who we're starting to recruit now.

We also are running schemes that I think most players are going to have fun playing in on both sides of the ball. Wide open passing on offense and then a blitzing all out defense. Fun for me to watch too!

I see kinda where you're coming from but this isn't on a par with JoMo hire. If Leach doesn't work out, this was still an A hire based on coaching resume. Not saying the process was that great tho ... but it worked out very good and Cohen certainly hired probably one of the 2 best more with less coaches in the country.

BeardoMSU
02-05-2020, 07:24 PM
The Moorhead HIRE was a good hire. Anyone that tries to act like it should be a bad mark on Cohen is an idiot. It didn't work out, but the initial hire was a good one.

All the cohen hate is rooted in people being emotional instead of being smart. Cohen has done a good job.

This^

And Cohen deserves credit for stopping the bleeding when it was obvious Joe wasn't the guy. I know the timeline wasn't perfect in how it all shook out, but we're looking good now.

Joebob
02-05-2020, 07:29 PM
I see kinda where you're coming from but this isn't on a par with JoMo hire. If Leach doesn't work out, this was still an A hire based on coaching resume. Not saying the process was that great tho ... but it worked out very good and Cohen certainly hired probably one of the 2 best more with less coaches in the country.

Are you including TCU coach Gary Patterson in this? He routinely turns two star recruits into four star players.

Joebob
02-05-2020, 07:31 PM
This^

And Cohen deserves credit for stopping the bleeding when it was obvious Joe wasn't the guy. I know the timeline wasn't perfect in how it all shook out, but we're looking good now.

Yep. Hard to believe how far we’ve come in the last month.

R2Dawg
02-05-2020, 07:35 PM
I'll give him his due for finally canning Moorhead and making a great baseball hire. Anything else is premature at the moment.

True but Leach hire is really different than Joe. One other thing. Cohen is true Bulldog. Just watching him at UT basketball game other day, he was cheering and clapping for our team just like a regular fan. He wants MSU to win.

dawgs
02-05-2020, 07:53 PM

Disagree. I wasn't anti-joevester and thought there was good potential there so I was being positive, but thats not the same as the excitement I have with leach because with leach there's an extensive track record of winning as a HC at P5 programs similar (or lesser) in stature to state and equally (or more) remote geographically than starkville.

gravedigger
02-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Are you including TCU coach Gary Patterson in this? He routinely turns two star recruits into four star players.

No. He finds 4 star players that are rated with 2 stars. And gets them to play like 4 stars.

shoeless joe
02-05-2020, 08:34 PM
A lot of the Cohen hate still stems from him being brought here to coach baseball and the ensuing drama. I have two close friends that are fairly connected into the athletic booster side of things and they hate all things Cohen...he can do nothing right...and he should be fired. They’re hearing this from people more “important” than themselves so they’re spouting it and have been for 10 years. What’s funny is how one of them has gone from comments disparaging Cohen all football season to silence since the leach hire.

Also to add, the jomo hire sits squarely on Cohen and it was not a good hire. I’ve posted this numerous times and 100% believe he should have seen thru the cliche, coach speak, catch phrase, alliterating facade that was Jomo. But he corrected it and has seemingly done so in a huge way. We shall see where his tenure goes from here.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-05-2020, 08:56 PM
Cohen has to prove he can competently run a MSU Football gameday....

dawgday166
02-05-2020, 09:05 PM

Wasn't counting him but he's good too. I was thinking of Mullen. Watch out for Geoff Collins at GT now too. I think he'll coach them up and they're recruiting about same level as us too.

bobcat91
02-05-2020, 09:35 PM
Funny thing is the lack of comments and threads from some of the most vocal of EB have all gone silent. Maybe they didnt want the ****ing Pirate hired because all they want is 3 yards in a cloud of dust.

Cohen loves this school. Played here, coached here and is now AD here. Hes not LT as was suggested and isnt Byrne because he isnt looking to leave. He is a Dawg through and through

defiantdog
02-05-2020, 09:36 PM
Cohen has to prove he can competently run a MSU Football gameday....
Just fix the concessions..... that's all..... please..... my oldest hasn't been able to see a game in years because we always send him to the concessions.

softballfanatic1
02-05-2020, 10:19 PM
When I leave a tailgate 45 minutes before game time and miss the first series then we have a problem. Texas A&M stadium holds way than we do and I showed up 15 minutes before game time and got food and was in my seat by kickoff.

softballfanatic1
02-05-2020, 10:22 PM
Gates were closed for the Egg Bowl this year. I went back to the tailgate because of the long lines and watched the entire game on TV.

TaleofTwoDogs
02-05-2020, 11:11 PM
a tip of the hat yes, but his due, not yet. Give it a year or so.

Todd4State
02-05-2020, 11:51 PM

No question. Joe was a "good hire" on paper based on potential. Really had a similar resume as Dan's except he had the head coaching experience at Fordham. Leach at this point in his career is a fairly safe hire- and may be even better than expected because he has more resources to work with now.

But there's always that chance it doesn't work out. We're at the same point as we were when we hired Sherrill in the offseason prior to 1991.

A lot of the Cohen hate still stems from him being brought here to coach baseball and the ensuing drama. I have two close friends that are fairly connected into the athletic booster side of things and they hate all things Cohen...he can do nothing right...and he should be fired. They?re hearing this from people more ?important? than themselves so they?re spouting it and have been for 10 years. What?s funny is how one of them has gone from comments disparaging Cohen all football season to silence since the leach hire.

Also to add, the jomo hire sits squarely on Cohen and it was not a good hire. I?ve posted this numerous times and 100% believe he should have seen thru the cliche, coach speak, catch phrase, alliterating facade that was Jomo. But he corrected it and has seemingly done so in a huge way. We shall see where his tenure goes from here.

Some of it comes from how he was put in charge of the AD.

The fact of the matter is this football season there were a LOT of things wrong on and off the football field and the bucks stops with Cohen. This past season was acceptable for MSU 2009 but not MSU 2019. Tutor Gate leading to probation, a coach that underachieved that repeatedly called out the fans who complained about his sucking when the complaining was warranted including dragging his freaking daughter into the middle of it in a lame attempt to make people feel sorry for his family and stop complaining I guess, concession issues, stadium entry issues with security, S&C issues, players calling fans out on social media, traffic flow issues on gameday, multiple players suspended for the Music City Bowl and the Gay/Shrader incident along with the team not looking prepared all year except for the Egg Bowl.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some things...

However, despite all of that if Cohen makes corrections it's just a learning experience that he corrected and made our product better in the long run and I can't complain. Season only ended a month ago and I'm certainly satisfied with all the changes thus far that can be reasonably expected at this point.

was21
02-06-2020, 02:44 PM
Needs to tell Leach to stand down from political tweets

thf24
02-06-2020, 04:12 PM
Maybe they didnt want the ****ing Pirate hired because all they want is 3 yards in a cloud of dust.

That's because it's the only kind of football they know, and they can't sound smart on the internet if we do something else.

Or they're on record adamant that we can't succeed without a run-heavy offense, and they're afraid they're about to be proven wrong.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 04:18 PM
Needs to tell Leach to stand down from political tweets

- I think we just ignore it. Frankly, I want Leach to be here for a decade & would hate to piss him off about something so stupid as his political tweets.

Will we lose any recruits over it? Possibly

Will we gain some recruits due it? Possibly

If it's used against us, we could just tell the kid to ask the coaches that are using it against us who they voted for.

bluelightstar
02-06-2020, 05:01 PM
- I think we just ignore it. Frankly, I want Leach to be here for a decade & would hate to piss him off about something so stupid as his political tweets.

Will we lose any recruits over it? Possibly

Will we gain some recruits due it? Possibly

If it's used against us, we could just tell the kid to ask the coaches that are using it against us who they voted for.

How hard is it to not tweet about politics? Nothing good comes from it!

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 05:35 PM
How hard is it to not tweet about politics? Nothing good comes from it!

I'll give him a small pass since he knows Donald Trump personally.

Yep. The MSU football coach hangs out with the President of the United States of America.