PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Rankings Question...

CadaverDawg
02-05-2020, 03:59 PM
Why is the Richardson kid still showing as a 3 star? Wasn't he raised to a 4 star recently on 247? Does that mean we should be ranked higher than 27? Where does 27 compare to our classes under Mullen/Moorhead? Seems like we didn't lose much ground considering so much of the coaching situation being a question mark during most of the recruiting busy season. Seems our transition worked out better than most other teams (cough, cough...Shark). I'm pretty encouraged by our class, especially when you consider we return a lot and add a 27th ranked class plus Costello, Lashley, Smith and others.

It appears we need to add an OL and to hit the trail hard for interior DL the next two seasons. Should be a lot of OM/MSU battles on DL because we both need lots of signees at that position the next two seasons. Am I right on that, or am I misreading the needs.

Good day to be a Dawg. Hard to believe we are where we are, when a few months ago I was wondering if we were about to head back to Croom levels. We dodged a major bullet, kudos to Cohen for doing what needed to be done, and to Leach for coming out of the gates swinging.

Commercecomet24
02-05-2020, 04:08 PM
Well Said. The future does look bright CD. There were some that believed we couldn't fire a second year coach with a winning record and back to back bowls, no elite coach would want our job after that,the national media would tear us apart, that we would have a mass exodus of our signees, end of the world for our football program,blah,blah,blah. All those narratives have proven to be myths. I'm excited about the football program and the future. Give CML some time to work his magic and let's GO!

thf24
02-05-2020, 04:08 PM
He did get his 4th star from 247, but he's still a 3 star composite. I wish 247 would drop the composite and just go on their own ratings since ESPN and Rivals are grossly inaccurate by comparison outside the top 200-300 players nationally.

Commercecomet24
02-05-2020, 04:09 PM
He did get his 4th star from 247, but he's still a 3 star composite. I wish 247 would drop the composite and just go on their own ratings since ESPN and Rivals are grossly inaccurate by comparison outside the top 200-300 players nationally.

Yeah I only look at 247. ESPN and Rivals ratings are just nonsense and wholly inaccurate.

KOdawg1
02-05-2020, 04:09 PM
The last 4 years we've finished 27, 24, 27, 24. So mid 20s seems to be where we average. We're never going to recruit like the big guys, but moving into consistently the 17-22ish range would realistically allow us to take a step forward talent wise

Todd4State
02-05-2020, 04:18 PM
The last 4 years we've finished 27, 24, 27, 24. So mid 20s seems to be where we average. We're never going to recruit like the big guys, but moving into consistently the 17-22ish range would realistically allow us to take a step forward talent wise

I think it was also kind of a "down year" in state ratings wise. I suspect next year will be "better" with all of the four star WR's out there already in state.

Todd4State
02-05-2020, 04:18 PM
Yeah I only look at 247. ESPN and Rivals ratings are just nonsense and wholly inaccurate.

I don't know why they even use composite rankings honestly.

thf24
02-05-2020, 04:22 PM
I don't know why they even use composite rankings honestly.

I've always assumed it's intended to display a heightened degree of transparency/objectivity from their platform, but at this point it's just making it less accurate.

Todd4State
02-05-2020, 04:26 PM
I've always assumed it's intended to display a heightened degree of transparency/objectivity from their platform, but at this point it's just making it less accurate.

When they started before they bought out scout it was much more relevant. Now it's less accurate and confusing because they tend to put composite first.

ShotgunDawg
02-05-2020, 05:07 PM
- 247 uses the composite for marketing purposes. By using the composite, media outlets don't have to prefer one ranking over another & thus they say "247 composite" which markets the network. Honestly though, I'm not sure who there competition is now anyway. The composite isn't about accuracy, it's about 247 being used by media outlets

- Numbers at positions will always be a battle for MSU because our state produces unequal numbers at each position year to year.

- MSU can be a 15-22 recruiter but it will take stability in our coaching situation, which we really haven't seen since 2016 when Dan stopped giving a 17. Leach can get there in a few years.

Gutter Cobreh
02-05-2020, 05:38 PM
- 247 uses the composite for marketing purposes. By using the composite, media outlets don't have to prefer one ranking over another & thus they say "247 composite" which markets the network. Honestly though, I'm not sure who there competition is now anyway. The composite isn't about accuracy, it's about 247 being used by media outlets

- Numbers at positions will always be a battle for MSU because our state produces unequal numbers at each position year to year.

- MSU can be a 15-22 recruiter but it will take stability in our coaching situation, which we really haven't seen since 2016 when Dan stopped giving a 17. Leach can get there in a few years.

I think we see it sooner than a few years. I think what people see on the field this year will translate in recruiting.

You, yourself, were posting a few months ago about how we've yet to be able to get a highly rated WR. Fast forward with the coaching change and the last thing I think we'll ever be lacking is skill positions once they see the style of offense we're about to put on the field. I'm hopeful that we don't struggle with the LOS and defensively as a byproduct of that, but have a coach with the recognition that Leach has who can pull kids like Costello in a short amount of time gives me an immense amount of hope that we've turned the corner.

ShotgunDawg
02-05-2020, 05:38 PM
FWIW, 247 has us with the #24 class & the composite has us with the #27 class.

You see the 247 rankings by back spacing the "composite" out of the URL

You don't want this: https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

You want this: https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TeamRankings/