PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach effect

bullygrowl
02-04-2020, 03:11 PM
I don't think most of us realize the impact Leach is going to have for MSU football (me included). I believe that State will be the general fan's "2nd team" to their own. The media already loves Leach for his interviews and press conferences. Fans love Leach's Air Raid offense. Everyone has been eager to see if Leach's offense will work in the SEC. Lastly, everyone hates the top teams in the SEC and wants to see them get beat. Get ready for a bunch of sidewalk fans, which is not a bad thing. This has the potential to expand our brand nationwide if Leach has some success.

I don't know this dude (link posted), but, I feel like his comments are the general consensus outside of the SEC. I predict MSU games this year will be the highest tv rated State games ever for a season.

https://youtu.be/Z_H1RIfPACQ

Commercecomet24
02-04-2020, 03:23 PM
I gotta say I've always watched Leach's teams since his first days at TTU, mostly because the games were always highly entertaining. His teams are never out of a game and can score points in hurry, on the other hand no lead for his team is safe either because they could give up points in a hurry as well, lol. His teams don't always win but the games are always entertaining and no doubt fans who have never had any interest in watching State from all over the country will now be tuning in to our games. It's exciting!

TrapGame
02-04-2020, 03:36 PM
I'm calling it now.

We have a Cinderella season.

Get ready it's gonna be crazy.

Commercecomet24
02-04-2020, 03:39 PM
I'm calling it now.

We have a Cinderella season.

Get ready it's gonna be crazy.

I expect it to be fun and exciting. I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled a big upset AND also had one of those head scratching loss type games.

confucius say
02-04-2020, 03:44 PM
Strangely, I expect to move the ball and score points with kJ and the pirate. I am more concerned about our defense right now

Commercecomet24
02-04-2020, 03:51 PM
Strangely, I expect to move the ball and score points with kJ and the pirate. I am more concerned about our defense right now

This is where I'm at as well. The DL should be fine, but we have some concerns at LB and in the secondary.

HailStateSZN19
02-04-2020, 03:58 PM
Just wait and see if we pull a really good grad transfer WR after Spring. If we do, I'll go stupid and talk myself into a crazy season lol.

But for real, my main concern is the secondary. We've got talent there but it's young talent and guys who haven't really proven a ton although you feel good about what they *could* do. Guys like Tyler Williams, Marcus Murphy, Fred Peters (blossomed at the end of the year), and then Emerson and Jarrian. They're all talented but Tyler hasn't really played quite enough to make me feel like he can match up well each and every week with some of the studs he will see. Emerson and Jarrian had some good moments and several head scratching moments, expected as true freshman though. They both will have to take a pretty massive jump up next year. Fred Peters flashed some towards the end of the year but before that, he was a ST player pretty much. He's gonna have to step up. I feel the best about Marcus Murphy. Kid is a stud, just didn't get much added experience last year. But he could be a monster next year with a full season. We will have to throw Purvis, Duncan, and possibly Dean and Forbes in the fire next season and see how they do.

I'm with Commerce, I think we pull off a huge upset, don't know who it will be, but I think it will happen. But I also hope with the added talent at his disposal, we can avoid the WTF loss like a Tulane or NC State. I'm refraining from any W/L projections though until we get through spring, see who bolts, and see who we add through the portal. But it's sure as hell been a couple years since I've been this excited going into Spring ball! I'm just going to enjoy the ride!

bullygrowl
02-04-2020, 03:58 PM
interesting that Jalen's dad chimes in on this video under the pinned comment

TrapGame
02-04-2020, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I can see us losing to NC State but beating Bama.

Homedawg
02-04-2020, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I can see us losing to NC State but beating Bama.

Cool the wool

TrapGame
02-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Cool the wool

I can't. I have a wool problem.

Commercecomet24
02-04-2020, 05:28 PM
My expectation is for Coach Leach to have us looking competent and prepared, to play hard and with discipline and to keep our bowl streak alive. While I'm excited about the season I also know there will be some growing pains and I don't have any unrealistic expectations(we have to give him time), as long as we are competitive and competent. I'm hoping for 6-6 and a bowl and anything else will make me ecstatic.

Homedawg
02-04-2020, 05:30 PM
My expectation is for Coach Leach to have us looking competent and prepared, to play hard and with discipline and to keep our bowl streak alive. While I'm excited about the season I also know there will be some growing pains and I don't have any unrealistic expectations(we have to give him time), as long as we are competitive and competent. I'm hoping for 6-6 and a bowl and anything else will make me ecstatic.

agree w all of this!

timotheus
02-04-2020, 05:44 PM
competent and prepared....ahh

99jc
02-04-2020, 06:54 PM
I told you all that 9 wins is gonna happen...this is real boys hang on for the ride

Spiderman
02-04-2020, 06:59 PM

Yep, as you all know, I was the biggest Leach advocate when the rumors started. BUT, some of y'all need to be more realistic. We should be A LOT better, but that may not be translated to wins. I've said all along, just get to a bowl and the rest is gravy. The 2021 season is the one to start getting more optimistic for.

Dogbone
02-04-2020, 07:14 PM
I use to live in a small town right outside Lubbock. So I've been a Leach fan for a long time. I went to games and watched him beat teams he shouldn't have beat. He just seems to turn two and three star players into five star players. Then because Craig James son wasn't getting enough playing time, well you know the rest. So I still followed him at Washington State. The man can coach. He just has this knack for making guys play over their head. I'm super excited to see what he does here. Hang on boys, it's gonna be a heck of a ride.

Cooterpoot
02-04-2020, 07:27 PM
7 wins til I see more. Going to be tough to get more.

R2Dawg
02-04-2020, 07:53 PM
I don't think most of us realize the impact Leach is going to have for MSU football (me included). I believe that State will be the general fan's "2nd team" to their own. The media already loves Leach for his interviews and press conferences. Fans love Leach's Air Raid offense. Everyone has been eager to see if Leach's offense will work in the SEC. Lastly, everyone hates the top teams in the SEC and wants to see them get beat. Get ready for a bunch of sidewalk fans, which is not a bad thing. This has the potential to expand our brand nationwide if Leach has some success.

I don't know this dude (link posted), but, I feel like his comments are the general consensus outside of the SEC. I predict MSU games this year will be the highest tv rated State games ever for a season.

https://youtu.be/Z_H1RIfPACQ

I think you could be right on our brand expanding. I think we already see it some. If he has any success and I believe he will, non MSU heritage fans will start gathering.

Already happened at work with a guy from up north who is looking for an SEC to pull for (not Bama, he already has a natural hatred of Bama all by himself after a few years). He went to egg bowl last year and has named his team - yep MSU. I gave him a cowbell after Leach hire and he is excited. These kind of things sound small but it is how you build your program.

maroonmania
02-04-2020, 07:56 PM
This is where I'm at as well. The DL should be fine, but we have some concerns at LB and in the secondary.

Well we would have had those same concerns on defense with Moorhead here. Difference is that we knew Moorhead's offense wasn't going to do squat against competent defenses. At least now we have the Leach offense to hopefully outscore some folks if we have to.

Commercecomet24
02-04-2020, 08:23 PM
Well we would have had those same concerns on defense with Moorhead here. Difference is that we knew Moorhead's offense wasn't going to do squat against competent defenses. At least now we have the Leach offense to hopefully outscore some folks if we have to.

I agree. If joe had stayed we would've been lucky to win 4 games.

Todd4State
02-04-2020, 08:31 PM
I agree. If joe had stayed we would've been lucky to win 4 games.

I'm just glad we fired him and don't have to endure as big of a rebuild for once. It's nice to see us fire appropriately.

Commercecomet24
02-04-2020, 08:33 PM
I'm just glad we fired him and don't have to endure as big of a rebuild for once. It's nice to see us fire appropriately.

Agreed. I was not looking forward to watching us bottom out and then have to start all over. I'm getting to old for that!

Todd4State
02-04-2020, 08:37 PM

I could see us being better than that. We were so out of shape and undisciplined and unprepared winning six games last year says a lot to me about the absolute raw talent that we had just to make it to a bowl based on that alone basically.

There is talent but I also believe that those small intangible things make the difference between what we saw last year and a potentially special season. I think a disciplined well coached MSU with above average S&C wins at least 8 last year- probably K-State and Tennessee.

Too many unknowns for me. I'll stick with the 6-10 range for now which is wide but with new coaching, new S&C, new scheme and so many grad and JUCO transfers there's no telling what will happen.

Todd4State
02-04-2020, 08:38 PM
Agreed. I was not looking forward to watching us bottom out and then have to start all over. I'm getting to old for that!

I was too old for last season. I don't understand how a head football coach could think that product was acceptable in any way shape or form. Apparently Fordham policed themselves.

ScooterDog
02-04-2020, 10:27 PM
I'll bet we have record breaking attendance at the Spring game. I can't wait.