PDA

View Full Version : ESPN and Bill Barnwell on the real SB MVP

redstickdawg
02-03-2020, 11:39 AM
read on the front page of ESPN and he picks the right choice, not the always popular QB, Chris Jones!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28624233/barnwell-super-bowl-liv-andy-reid-masterpiece-how-chiefs-came-back-49ers-blew-it

Commercecomet24
02-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Chris Jones blew up the 49ers offense on several critical plays in this game. He caused the first int that led to a fg for KC, the batted and deflected prevented completions and first downs. That game would've turned out differently for KC if not for Chris.

OLJWales
02-03-2020, 11:46 AM
Can't find the Chris Jones stuff

hacker
02-03-2020, 11:50 AM
The real MVP?
I don't think anyone could have been too surprised when Mahomes was named MVP, given that he led his team to a fourth-quarter comeback, threw for 286 yards, ran for 29 more and accounted for three touchdowns. If Garoppolo had hit that touchdown pass to Sanders, the former Patriots backup would have been named MVP. The Giants' defensive line shut down one of the greatest offenses in league history, David Tyree made one of the greatest catches in NFL history and Eli Manning won Super Bowl XLII MVP. This happens.

Mahomes winning wasn't quite as egregious as that Eli nod, but it would be fair to say this wasn't his best game through three and a half quarters. He threw two poor interceptions and fumbled twice, although the Chiefs were able to retain the ball both times. He missed throws at times before that late run and seemed to have a lot of passes come out of his hand looking funny, to the point where I wondered whether he had been injured running during the first half. Mahomes was excellent during the comeback, though, so no one can be too mad that he was given the award.

If I had to pick an MVP for the Chiefs in this game, though, I'd have to go with defensive tackle Chris Jones.

Like Mahomes, Jones saved his best for later in the game. Jones helped stop Mostert for a yard on the aforementioned first-and-10 early in the fourth quarter. He came up with two critical pass knockdowns, including the aforementioned second-and-5 throw to an open Kittle and a first-and-10 throw on the final meaningful 49ers drive once they had passed midfield. And while the Chiefs allowed 6.1 yards per carry with Jones on the field, they actually allowed 38 yards on five runs when Jones was resting, an average of 7.6 yards per carry. It was about as well-timed of a contract game as you'll see from the pending free agent.

R2Dawg
02-03-2020, 01:28 PM

Good stuff. Not only that but he had a QB hurry (near sack) on one of the critical int plays that stopped a drive. Also he tipped a 3rd ball in the 4th that kept a completion from happening; it just wasn't a total pass knockdown like the first 2. Two happened on a late drive of game to seal the game. CJ certainly was an MVP of the game just not "the" MVP.

hacker
02-03-2020, 01:46 PM
Good stuff. Not only that but he had a QB hurry (near sack) on one of the critical int plays that stopped a drive. Also he tipped a 3rd ball in the 4th that kept a completion from happening; it just wasn't a total pass knockdown like the first 2. Two happened on a late drive of game to seal the game. CJ certainly was an MVP of the game just not "the" MVP.

I believe it was actually on the interception.

R2Dawg
02-03-2020, 01:55 PM
I believe it was actually on the interception.

Not sure if he tipped the int or not but he finger tipped the ball I am referring and the pass was incomplete over the middle right. I saw two batted down balls and the finger tip on last one. Announcers catch it on the replay as no one saw it on live action. He may not have even gotten credit for it?

Political Hack
02-03-2020, 05:36 PM
Could argue Williams offensively too. He and Jones were both awesome.