PDA

View Full Version : Questions for you football gurus on the 3-5 defensive scheme

OLJWales
02-02-2020, 01:05 PM
I saw that clip where SD State broke thru and dropped the RB for a loss. Looked awesome.

1. Is this a scheme that is being implemented at other programs? How unique is it?

2. Does it appear that the back 5 have to make quick pre-snap decisions as to whether they are gonna attack the LOS or straddle back and cover for a pass play?

3. Considering # 2, does this scheme leave a D vulnerable to the draw play?

4. The clip that was posted looked awesome if the RB is going lateral before he heads towards the LOS. What about running plays where the RB hits the LOS immediately looking for some 1st down yards?

Todd4State
02-02-2020, 04:06 PM
It sounds similar to a 3-3-5 except that they are calling the DOG backs LB's instead of safeties. Seems like semantics since those players are hybrid LB/S anyway.

Walkerhill
02-02-2020, 05:43 PM
SDSU also lined up the nickel or Dog back centrally vs wide to the field or boundary.

The way Joe Lee talked about it, the safeties are in pseudo prevent to prevent anything over the top, and the idea is to bring pressure from nearly interchangeable defenders on the line and lb lines to create pressure with unpredictability and speed vs power. It seems they still largely borrow from those concepts.

Walkerhill
02-02-2020, 06:05 PM
One other observation. The SDSU linemen were all small. In the 260-270 range.

We will not be fielding a line that small, so our players may be less interchangeable than the SDSU defense, but should definitely have more power on the defensive line.

OLJWales
02-02-2020, 06:15 PM
I kinda like the idea of having an extra player or two roaming around pre-snap looking for a gap to break thru. I'm assuming that is an advantage?