6-4 225
4.2 GPA

msudawg1200
02-02-2020, 10:44 AM
What other offers did he have?

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Jimmy the Greek looks like Kyle York's spawn

It's becoming apparent to me that intelligence is pretty high up on Leach's scale of most important QB attributes

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 10:48 AM
What other offers did he have?

I realize everyone wants the 4 stars, but this kid is a good prospect. Leach will flood MSU with these types & a Heisman contender will consistently emerge from them

Duke
Georgia Tech
Mizzou
Purdue
Vandy
Virginia Tech
Arkansas State
Colorado State

Msujd164
02-02-2020, 10:50 AM
Duke
Georgia Tech
Missouri
Purdue
Vandy
Washington state
Virginia tech are some notables

confucius say
02-02-2020, 10:50 AM
Jimmy the Greek looks like Kyle York's spawn

It's becoming apparent to me that intelligence is pretty high up on Leach's scale of most important QB attributes

Accuracy and Decision making

msstate7
02-02-2020, 10:59 AM
GPA? When did we start noting this? Haha

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 11:02 AM

I gotta be honest. After seeing the Moorhead era brainiacs not be able to pick up the offense, I'm fine with prioritizing GPA a little more with QBs.

It's not just about the intelligence, but also about the discipline to study film. Most people that make really good grades, I said MOST not ALL, are more disciplined & structured in the way they go about things

DogsofAnarchy
02-02-2020, 11:02 AM
We needed to a long time ago.

No BS Dawg
02-02-2020, 11:05 AM
Very nice get by Leach. These are the types he thrives with. Very high ceiling and projects to develop well. Very undervalued and under the radar QB. Leach and staff keep rolling and are quickly erasing the false notion that he is/they are lazy recruiters.

HoopsDawg
02-02-2020, 11:09 AM
If Leach and Cutcliffe want him, that's good enough for me.

defiantdog
Upside: He's a coaches son, extremely accurate, intelligent, currently runs CML's offense (so there won't be too many growing pains).
Downside: Plays in a weak conference (meaning, weak competition), game speed will be a huge factor for him, again..... coach's son

ShotgunDawg
Very nice get by Leach. These are the types he thrives with. Very high ceiling and projects to develop well. Very undervalued and under the radar QB. Leach and staff keep rolling and are quickly erasing the false notion that he is/they are lazy recruiters.

I wasn't aware that anyone ever thought they were lazy recruiters.

They had more kids from Florida on their roster at Wazzou than MSU has. That is anything but laziness.

They're going to kill it at MSU

TrapGame
If we ever had a coach that could get a kid to NYC for a Heisman ceremony it's Mike Leach.

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 11:12 AM
Upside: He's a coaches son, extremely accurate, intelligent, currently runs CML's offense (so there won't be too many growing pains).
Downside: Plays in a weak conference (meaning, weak competition), game speed will be a huge factor for him, again..... coach's son

Playing in a weak HS conference is irrelevant. Absolutely irrelevant.

Msujd164
02-02-2020, 11:28 AM

When he?s got a 4.2

confucius say
02-02-2020, 11:53 AM

For that position in this offense decision making is extremely important. To the extent gpa reflects decision making, im good with it.
We need to understand that leach will call a formation and a play, but then, ideally, the qb will get to the line and have complete autonomy.

defiantdog
02-02-2020, 12:08 PM
It helps when you have 10 seconds to throw the ball instead of 3 seconds..... because this guy may be slower than Tom Brady.

Coursesuper
02-02-2020, 12:13 PM

No it's not. Goodness gracious.

BeastMan
02-02-2020, 12:24 PM

This post deserves an award. Hoops gets it

Dawgface
02-02-2020, 01:06 PM

No doubt. Glad to have him.

Todd4State
02-02-2020, 01:09 PM
No it's not. Goodness gracious.

If he can play he can play. I do think level of high school competition is overrated by some. It probably means less now than ever with all the 7 on 7 and camps where people can evaluate things a little better.

HRTFXR
02-02-2020, 02:34 PM

On multiple occasions, I have heard CML say that accuracy is the #1 attribute in a QB (alongside exceptional work effort)

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 02:40 PM

But Cooter said that because his completion % was only 62% & he threw some INTs, that he wasn't accurate.

I mean that's way more meaningful that film of him dropping dimes with ease*

Personally, we all need to make a commitment to not worrying about HS stats. They're meaningless. Absolutely meaningless.

You don't know the context of those stats in anyway.

Pull up the HUDL film & watch the player. Does he look like an SEC player or not?

NCDawg
02-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Wonder about his speed. He has to be able to run sometimes if nobody is open and he has to take off. Can make the difference between a good QB and a great QB.

PMDawg
02-02-2020, 03:01 PM
Out of Texas
3*
6-4 225
4.2 GPA

Nice!

PMDawg
02-02-2020, 03:36 PM
I realize everyone wants the 4 stars, but this kid is a good prospect. Leach will flood MSU with these types & a Heisman contender will consistently emerge from them

Duke
Georgia Tech
Mizzou
Purdue
Vandy
Virginia Tech
Arkansas State
Colorado State

This guy has all the tools to break every passing record at MSU with Leach at the helm..

Dawgology
02-02-2020, 05:22 PM
4.2??? Shit. I didn't even know it went that high...

msstate7
02-02-2020, 05:33 PM

"A 4.2 GPA is above a 4.0, so it's outside of the normal range for unweighted GPAs. If you have a 4.2, your school uses weighted GPAs, meaning they take class difficulty into account when calculating GPA. A 4.2 indicates that you are earning Bs and B+s in high level classes or As and A+s in mid level classes." - Yahoo answers

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-02-2020, 06:15 PM
"A 4.2 GPA is above a 4.0, so it's outside of the normal range for unweighted GPAs. If you have a 4.2, your school uses weighted GPAs, meaning they take class difficulty into account when calculating GPA. A 4.2 indicates that you are earning Bs and B+s in high level classes or As and A+s in mid level classes." - Yahoo answers

Let's be honest though, some schools rig the system to make GPA numbers of their students look better. I've seen schools do an out of 5 scale, meaning 4.0 is the same as a 3.25 to the rest of us. BUt, it looks better on college apps and helps the student meet scholarship requirements... plus the principle can brag about their high GPA

viverlibre
02-02-2020, 07:45 PM

AP classes count more than regular classes, MS High Schools do this too.

MetEdDawg
02-02-2020, 08:38 PM
Let's be honest though, some schools rig the system to make GPA numbers of their students look better. I've seen schools do an out of 5 scale, meaning 4.0 is the same as a 3.25 to the rest of us. BUt, it looks better on college apps and helps the student meet scholarship requirements... plus the principle can brag about their high GPA

School I taught at gave kids a 1.5 point bump for AP classes. So an A in an AP class would be worth a 5.5. Still, even in an era of inflated GPAs, a 4.2 is nothing to scoff at. Means he's taking AP or Pre AP classes (we have 1 point bumps for Pre AP classes) and doing reasonably well in them, which is a rarity these days for high school football players, especially higher recruited QBs. Those kids get sheltered quite a bit from the classes where extra work is required.

Rex54
02-03-2020, 12:10 AM
Can football players get full "academic" scholarships and not count towards the 85?

smootness
02-03-2020, 12:17 AM
Can football players get full "academic" scholarships and not count towards the 85?

No. They could technically receive an academic scholarship, but if they are on the football team and on any scholarship, they count against the 85.

FriarsPoint
02-03-2020, 12:29 AM
No. They could technically receive an academic scholarship, but if they are on the football team and on any scholarship, they count against the 85.

There?s a lot wrong with that.

Not saying you?re wrong. The whole premise is wrong.

GoDawgz
02-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Watch the kids Hudl video.... he can spin it pretty good.

MSUDAWGFAN
02-03-2020, 04:10 PM

Is it though? If it didn't count against the 85, what would stop a school to give out "academic scholarships" just because? Even though they wouldn't come close to qualifying if they were a "normal student"? Then they could have a whole lot more players on the team.

The premise is right. You don't want to give a school another loophole. You know some schools (most schools) would exploit the heck out of that.

Todd4State
02-03-2020, 04:39 PM

You can thank Johnny Vaught and Bear Bryant for that rule.

Hot Rock
02-03-2020, 05:08 PM
I noticed something Leach said and I will paraphrase, "Don't be surprised if you come to one of our practices and you see 5 QB's throwing at once."

You need numbers to do this. This one has the measurables to be good and lots of P5 offers to boot. I am super happy with it if he is.

Beaver
02-03-2020, 09:08 PM
4.2 GPA is way overblown. His ACT is a 26... Which isn't bad, but probably an indication his HS is not very rigorous.

Tbonewannabe
02-04-2020, 07:05 AM
4.2 GPA is way overblown. His ACT is a 26... Which isn't bad, but probably an indication his HS is not very rigorous.

Or maybe he doesn't do as well on standardized tests. My wife's cousin was valedictorian with a 98 average and made a 18 on the ACT. She damn near had a panic attack taking the test. Of course the same girl threw up before every basketball game and was the best player on a State Championship team.

smootness
02-04-2020, 08:17 AM
Or maybe who cares. He's obviously plenty smart enough to possibly be a good decision-making QB, and Leach likes him.

msstate7
02-04-2020, 08:19 AM
Or maybe who cares. He's obviously plenty smart enough to possibly be a good decision-making QB, and Leach likes him.

GPA is now the go to stat here, brah haha

BeardoMSU
02-04-2020, 08:23 AM
GPA is now the go to stat here, brah haha

This thread reminds me of that scene in Moneyball where the scouts are judging players based on how their GF's look, lol.