PDA

View Full Version : Hot Take!!

Dawgology
02-01-2020, 03:04 PM
MSU will produce a Heisman candidate in the next four years under the Leach offense.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2020, 03:25 PM
What qualifies as a candidate?

I don’t like much record is involved in the Heisman. Means only players from about 8 schools can win it.

TaleofTwoDogs
02-01-2020, 07:00 PM
You do realize that the Heisman is awarded to a player not a coach. We are Missssssippi State **

MetEdDawg
02-01-2020, 07:08 PM
So the award really is only going to go to a QB or a RB. So here are your legit options on our team over the next 4 years:

1) Kylin Hill - We have to go at least 10-2 and he has to have over 2,000 all purpose yards. And obviously he's got one year to do it and it's year 1 in a brand new offense.

2) Transfer QB - Right now the hot name is Costello if we get him. Conceivably we could get one over the next 3 years that could do it. But probably something around 4,000 passing yards and 35+ TDs needed to do it.

3) A QB currently on the roster. Shrader or Will Rogers are really it.

4) Marks - Same thing as Hill. Needs at least a 10-2 season and a needs 2,000+ all purpose yards.

So realistically there are your options. I would bet considerably against that happening for us in the next 4 years.

Dawgology
02-01-2020, 08:15 PM
You do realize that the Heisman is awarded to a player not a coach. We are Missssssippi State **

Yes???

Dawgology
02-01-2020, 08:17 PM
What qualifies as a candidate?

I don’t like much record is involved in the Heisman. Means only players from about 8 schools can win it.

Candidate in this case means someone who is in the Heisman discussion towards the end of the season. Not necessarily in the final three but someone that the media is talking about in the the last quarter of the season as a Heisman candidate.

Dawgology
02-01-2020, 08:18 PM
So the award really is only going to go to a QB or a RB. So here are your legit options on our team over the next 4 years:

1) Kylin Hill - We have to go at least 10-2 and he has to have over 2,000 all purpose yards. And obviously he's got one year to do it and it's year 1 in a brand new offense.

2) Transfer QB - Right now the hot name is Costello if we get him. Conceivably we could get one over the next 3 years that could do it. But probably something around 4,000 passing yards and 35+ TDs needed to do it.

4) Marks - Same thing as Hill. Needs at least a 10-2 season and a needs 2,000+ all purpose yards.

So realistically there are your options. I would bet considerably against that happening for us in the next 4 years.

So you believe that Leach will play either Schrader or Rogers for the next 4 seasons if Costello doesn't transfer?

MetEdDawg
02-01-2020, 08:26 PM
So you believe that Leach will play either Schrader or Rogers for the next 4 seasons if Costello doesn't transfer?

Read #2. Conceivable we get another transfer after this year. I'm implying that we would go after another one this year if we miss on Costello because I highly doubt Leach goes into year 1 with those 2 as his only QBs.

But after this year they have to be considered possibilities because it's not guaranteed we go after another transfer after this year. It's possible, but who knows.

Walkerhill
02-01-2020, 09:36 PM

A running back is pretty unlikely to get enough touches to be a heisman candidate in this offense unless they get a tremendous number of yac.

A wr is probably also unlikely because the ball is spread fairly evenly, but wr awards such as biletnikoff finalist are possible. Crabtree did win that under Leach (twice) and multiple others have been watch list or better under Leach.

The qb is possible but only 1 qb (Harrell) has ever been a heisman finalist under Leach despite prolific numbers. Kingsbury, Palk, and Minshew were all worthy statistically but were snubbed. Probably a 10:win or better regular season with multiple top 10 wins would be needed to break that trend, or possibly even a division or conference championship.

I have to sell on this hot take, although I would be happy to replicate the numbers TTU and WSU produced, Heisman or no.

Skydawg1
02-01-2020, 09:40 PM
MSU will produce a Heisman candidate in the next four years under the Leach offense.After what happened this past season, and the school it happened to...I'll believe anything now.

Dawgology
02-01-2020, 09:46 PM
A running back is pretty unlikely to get enough touches to be a heisman candidate in this offense unless they get a tremendous number of yac.

A wr is probably also unlikely because the ball is spread fairly evenly, but wr awards such as biletnikoff finalist are possible. Crabtree did win that under Leach (twice) and multiple others have been watch list or better under Leach.

The qb is possible but only 1 qb (Harrell) has ever been a heisman finalist under Leach despite prolific numbers. Kingsbury, Palk, and Minshew were all worthy statistically but were snubbed. Probably a 10:win or better regular season with multiple top 10 wins would be needed to break that trend, or possibly even a division or conference championship.

I have to sell on this hot take, although I would be happy to replicate the numbers TTU and WSU produced, Heisman or no.

So if Leach had been at State with Minshew and produced those numbers you don't think he would have been a Heisman candidate?

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 09:59 PM
Will we have someone basically close to on par with Dak?

I think it's very possible considering the numbers that Leach's offense puts up. It's also going to depend on the type of season we have. If we knock of Alabama and win 10-11 games during any season under Leach I'd say it's very likely that whoever our QB is will get some Heisman talk. Possibly a WR if we have the equivalent of a Crabtree or even a RB that puts up huge AP yardage. Unless it's a very rare instance where we have an elite Charles Woodson type dominant defensive player which is unlikely when we're talking Heisman.

Walkerhill
02-01-2020, 10:09 PM
So if Leach had been at State with Minshew and produced those numbers you don't think he would have been a Heisman candidate?

I think it would take a 10 win season minimum. Otherwise, no. There is just no precedent in recent Heisman voting. Collin Klein would be the closest, but K State started the season 10-0 that year to generate that buzz. If Minshew or anyone else does that at State, or even close, sure.

Dak had a 10-2 season and finished 8th. If we had beaten Ole Miss I think he would have made the top 5. So that gives an idea of the challenge,