PDA

View Full Version : Jason Washington Hired as LB Coach

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2020, 09:42 AM
We just hired away Texas' recruiting coordinator. He was let go recently

Leach just made a bold move to recruit the hell out of Texas. WOW!!!

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jason-washington/1253

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 09:47 AM
Are you sure he isn't coaching cornerbacks? Agree good hire though.

I see your edit.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2020, 09:47 AM
So we've now got Tony Hughes, Mississippi's best recruiter and now the Texas version of Tony and both undoubtedly know Lousiana.

I like it.

MetEdDawg
02-01-2020, 09:48 AM
That's a massive hire right there. I mean massive. Leach is expanding the footprint. Both with his personality and the staff he's hired. If we can start consistently recruiting Top 20 and get the guys to fit the system, watch out. This could get fun.

trob115
02-01-2020, 09:48 AM
Good hire on paper. He will be coaching CB's.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2020, 09:50 AM
Good hire on paper. He will be coaching CB's.

I know. I edited it on my end, but the title on the board doesn't reflect that.

BulldogDX55
02-01-2020, 09:50 AM
I saw the thread title and was sad it wasn't Jamar Chaney.

Then I saw who that guy was and was immediately okay with it.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2020, 09:51 AM
The recruiting plan is as clear as ever before.

Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas.

We're about to recruit Texas harder than we ever had. With Washington and Leach, I like that combo

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 09:52 AM
Yes. I imagine our staff will look like this.

HC/OC/QB- Leach
RB- Eric Mele
OWR- Spurrier, Jr.
IWR- Nichols
OL- Miller
DL- Jeff Phelps
DC/LB- Zach Arnett
CB- Washington
S- Darcel McBath
Nickel/Recruiting coordinator- Hughes
ST/OLB?- Matt Brock.

Washington also has ST experience. We may split ST up and let Brock focus on kickers and Washington work with the returners.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2020, 09:52 AM
This is Washington's first job outside of Texas in his career

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 09:54 AM
I saw the thread title and was sad it wasn't Jamar Chaney.

Then I saw who that guy was and was immediately okay with it.

We still could get Chaney on staff. Would be a good move because it would get us into Florida speaking of expanding our footprint.

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 09:55 AM
This is Washington's first job outside of Texas in his career

SEC experience and has Hughes to show him the ropes.

99jc
02-01-2020, 09:56 AM
I can't believe how excited I am about the next few seasons. It's like I had a tumor removed when Slowmo left and got a clean bill of health. I went from canceling season tickets I've had since 1970 to increasing my Bulldog Club contributions significantly. Even if Leaches system doesn't work in the SEC West he has breathed life back into many of us. I'm actually starting to believe we can compete against anyone again. Hail Damn State!

Turfdawg67
02-01-2020, 09:59 AM
"Texas recruits are overrated"... I read somewhere. "It's why the Big 12 can't play with the Bama, LSU & UGA"... was the narrative.

confucius say
02-01-2020, 10:06 AM
We just hired away Texas' recruiting coordinator. He was let go recently

Leach just made a bold move to recruit the hell out of Texas. WOW!!!

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jason-washington/1253

Wait, was he let go and then we hired him or did we hire him away?

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 10:08 AM
I can't believe how excited I am about the next few seasons. It's like I had a tumor removed when Slowmo left and got a clean bill of health. I went from canceling season tickets I've had since 1970 to increasing my Bulldog Club contributions significantly. Even if Leaches system doesn't work in the SEC West he has breathed life back into many of us. I'm actually starting to believe we can compete against anyone again. Hail Damn State!

It reminds me of when we hired Jackie. Maybe bigger. Definitely comparable.

One big difference is Leach isn't damaged goods like Sherrill was when we hired him. Really the first time we went after a sitting P5 head coach that was proven and landed him. Pretty much disproves the "Poor ol Mississippi State" narrative along with the fact that Cohen didn't allow Moorhead to completely run the program in the ground and have to start another massive rebuild which would have been unnecessary.

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 10:08 AM

Let go.

softballfanatic1
02-01-2020, 10:12 AM

He was let go due to the new DC at Texas bringing his guy. So not necessarily let go based on performance. Sorry I don?t post much. But enjoy reading y?alls posts.

softballfanatic1
02-01-2020, 10:15 AM
Per Adam Rittenberg: Source: #Texas is expected to hire Jay Valai as cornerbacks coach. Valai held the same spot under new Texas DC Chris Ash at Rutgers. He also coached with the KC Chiefs and Georgia. Valai grew up near Dallas and brings a strong reputation in recruiting and player development

sscjr1
02-01-2020, 10:34 AM
McBath coaching CBs
Washington coaching S
Tony defensive assistant in the secondary

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 10:36 AM
McBath coaching CBs
Washington coaching S
Tony defensive assistant in the secondary

I figured it would be McBath coaching safeties since that's what he played in the NFL and the fact that Washington has coached corners most of his career?

softballfanatic1
02-01-2020, 10:40 AM
OAN: He was the Big 12 recruiter of the year in 2018.

msstate7
02-01-2020, 10:44 AM
Recruiting like an ace in Texas to UT is quite different than recruiting Texas to miss state

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2020, 10:47 AM
Recruiting like an ace in Texas to UT is quite different than recruiting Texas to miss state

No doubt, but having a recruiting ace from Texas is a big plus.

We won't be winning many recruiting battles vs Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, or even Baylor.

But maybe we can win some of the battles vs TCU, Arkansas, & Oklahoma State.

If MSU can get some of those WRs Oklahoma State & TCU have been getting, we're going to be really good. Those schools don't have access to interior players like we do.

Just think if we could land 2 Fred Ross' instead of just one? I don't have a ton of interest in Texas interior players but give me their skill guys all day long compared to what we've been getting

BeardoMSU
02-01-2020, 10:47 AM

I've been waiting on the bucket of ice water...and you didn't disappoint**

OLJWales
02-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Anybody know why he was let go?

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 10:49 AM

If he won Big 12 recruiter of the year I doubt it's because he sucks at it.

ShotgunDawg

The DC Todd Orlando was fired & the new DC brought in his own guys

Todd4State

Different staff came in. Essentially the same reason we let Buckley go.

msstate7
02-01-2020, 10:54 AM
If he won Big 12 recruiter of the year I doubt it's because he sucks at it.

Didn't say he sucked. What I am saying is recruiting to Texas is a hell of a lot easier than recruiting here. I like the hire, but we aren't about to start cleaning up in Texas.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-01-2020, 11:00 AM
Didn't say he sucked. What I am saying is recruiting to Texas is a hell of a lot easier than recruiting here. I like the hire, but we aren't about to start cleaning up in Texas.

Texas on avg has 50+ 4 & 5* recruits. If he pulls 1-2 4* a year from Texas then he's well worth it.

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 11:04 AM

No one said we are going to "clean up" recruiting in Texas. But he is going to give us some access and connections there. If he can recruit well in Texas he will likely do fine in Mississippi. Texas has to compete with A&M and Oklahoma among others for top recruits.

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 11:05 AM
Texas on avg has 50+ 4 & 5* recruits. If he pulls 1-2 4* a year from Texas then he's well worth it.

Thank you!

msstate7
02-01-2020, 11:06 AM

I agree. Well, assuming he's adequate coach.

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 11:08 AM

Do you really think Leach hired someone he didn't think could coach adequately?

msstate7
02-01-2020, 11:12 AM
Do you really think Leach hired someone he didn't think could coach adequately?

No, but it happens. Wash st's defense was ranked #111 (that's one spot behind ark). Would you say leach put together a great defensive staff? I wouldn't. And I'm not saying that will happen here, but it could.

ETA... I love the leach hire. I'm as excited as I've been in a while about football.

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 11:33 AM
No, but it happens. Wash st's defense was ranked #111 (that's one spot behind ark). Would you say leach put together a great defensive staff? I wouldn't. And I'm not saying that will happen here, but it could.

ETA... I love the leach hire. I'm as excited as I've been in a while about football.

That was with a completely different DC than the one we have now. Who had a defensive unit that allowed 12 PPG last year. Tracy Claeys is not on our staff. The only defensive holdovers for Leach are McBath who has been with him for awhile now including when Alex Grinch was his DC and Phelps the DL coach who has good track record. Everyone else is new. Brock who did coach OLB's last year is primarily a ST coach for us and was a Broyles semi finalist if you want to include him.

MarketingBully
02-01-2020, 12:36 PM

True BUT unlike in Mississippi where there maybe 10-15 4 star and above players in a class there are 50 or so 4 star and above players in Texas. Getting a few out of Texas especially at the corner, receiver, and QB positions can?t hurt. Remember, Fred Ross was from Texas and wasn?t half bad. Recruit the skill positions from Texas and Louisiana and keep recruiting linemen and defensive talent from Mississippi and Leach could stockpile enough talent to do his schemes justice. With these coaching hires and the support he?s going to get, there?s no doubt he wants to win big here.

MarketingBully
02-01-2020, 12:37 PM

I didn?t realize Arnett coached WSU last year...

MrKotter
02-01-2020, 12:54 PM
He'll reply back once he's done searching the internet for his typical useless stats he ignorantly believes proves his point

RougeDawg
02-01-2020, 12:54 PM
"Texas recruits are overrated"... I read somewhere. "It's why the Big 12 can't play with the Bama, LSU & UGA"... was the narrative.

I think you need to work on the reading comprehension.

When speaking about Texas I?ve always said the Texas high schools produce a lot of offensive players. Because they play a finesse defense, high octane offensive game in Texas. They do not produce SEC caliber defensive players. That is why A&M will never really be a factor, outside of finding a Johnny Football generational player. That is why Big 12 games look like a PlayStation game.

It really is funny how some read what they want to read, not what is actually said.

If we can start pulling the skill guys to make the offense run smoothly, Mississippi will produce enough defensive talent to make us a contender in the SEC.

msstate7
02-01-2020, 12:56 PM
He'll reply back once he's done searching the internet for his typical useless stats he ignorantly believes proves his point

Not surprised you have trouble figuring out my response...

Todd implied leach doesn't make bad coaching hires. There i simplified it for the simple, no problem

Turfdawg67
02-01-2020, 01:26 PM
I think you need to work on the reading comprehension.

When speaking about Texas I?ve always said the Texas high schools produce a lot of offensive players. Because they play a finesse defense, high octane offensive game in Texas. They do not produce SEC caliber defensive players. That is why A&M will never really be a factor, outside of finding a Johnny Football generational player. That is why Big 12 games look like a PlayStation game.

It really is funny how some read what they want to read, not what is actually said.

If we can start pulling the skill guys to make the offense run smoothly, Mississippi will produce enough defensive talent to make us a contender in the SEC.

First of all Summer's Eve founder, I read just fine. Secondly, Who TF was talking to or about YOU? Certainly not me. But if you'd like to do a search regarding Texas/Big 12 recruits on this site, you'll find plenty of posters that have stated what I said.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-01-2020, 04:41 PM

lol yeah I was just thinking the same thing. Funny how reality always changes to suit our needs.

However I will say that the "texas is soft" narrative has laways been about the defensive side. We have MS for that. We could really use those Texas WRs and QBs in an air raid system

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-01-2020, 04:58 PM

That has nothing to do with his point. The fact WSU sucked so bad on D last year is partly because Leach made some bad hires on that side of the ball. That's a fact.

He didn't say Arnett is a bad hire. He didn't say anyone is a bad hire. All he said was that 1) Washington getting us 1-2 4*s from texas won't necessarily be worth it if he's a bad CB coach, and 2) Leach has made bad hires before so it's possible this is one too.

Neither of those are anywhere close to being countered by your comment

Turfdawg67
02-01-2020, 05:05 PM
lol yeah I was just thinking the same thing. Funny how reality always changes to suit our needs.

However I will say that the "texas is soft" narrative has laways been about the defensive side. We have MS for that. We could really use those Texas WRs and QBs in an air raid system

Very good point!

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 05:50 PM
Not surprised you have trouble figuring out my response...

Todd implied leach doesn't make bad coaching hires. There i simplified it for the simple, no problem

No I implied that he made a good hire and you unnecessarily tried to shit on it and corrected you again.

msbulldog
02-01-2020, 06:01 PM
He was let go due to the new DC at Texas bringing his guy. So not necessarily let go based on performance. Sorry I don?t post much. But enjoy reading y?alls posts.

Good to see ya'! Rep given.

TheLostDawg
02-02-2020, 03:30 PM
Until Alabama picks him next year. Hopefully we're paying these guys enough to stay. We don't want another situation like with Huff. I know apples to oranges but still.

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 03:57 PM
Until Alabama picks him next year. Hopefully we're paying these guys enough to stay. We don't want another situation like with Huff. I know apples to oranges but still.

I wonder if Huff felt Joe was a sinking ship & just wanted out?

In hindsight those guys leaving makes more sense

Todd4State
02-02-2020, 03:59 PM
I wonder if Huff felt Joe was a sinking ship & just wanted out?

In hindsight those guys leaving makes more sense

Maybe. But Alabama is upward mobility. Maybe some of both.

deadheaddawg
02-02-2020, 06:05 PM
Good point.

We should hire people who suck at recruiting Texas to UT and also need to make sure we do not hire anyone who was the big 12 recruiter of the year.

You are so smart. I'm not sure why leach didn't consider that

msstate7
02-02-2020, 06:06 PM
Good point.

We should hire people who suck at recruiting Texas to UT and also need to make sure we do not hire anyone who was the big 12 recruiter of the year.

You are so smart. I'm not sure why leach didn't consider that

Deadhead, user name checks out.

At no point in this thread did I say leach shouldn't have hired him.

deadheaddawg
02-02-2020, 06:10 PM
Deadhead, user name checks out.

At no point in this thread did I say leach shouldn't have hired him.
At no point in this thread did anyone say he was going to dominate Texas recruiting

Your post was pointless and stupid and no that several people have called you out on it you are back peddling

msstate7
02-02-2020, 06:17 PM
At no point in this thread did anyone say he was going to dominate Texas recruiting

Your post was pointless and stupid and no that several people have called you out on it you are back peddling

Ok...

At no point in this thread did I say leach shouldn't hire him.

Your post was pointless and stupid and now that I have called you out on it you are back peddling

RezDog7
02-02-2020, 09:49 PM

If we hired Saban you would say "he's about to retire".

msstate7
02-02-2020, 10:10 PM

Past his prime

dawgday166
02-02-2020, 10:29 PM

He's not a more with less coach. He needs waves of 4 and 5* players he sends at you over 4 qtrs. Wears other team out.