PDA

View Full Version : 2021 MSU Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 10:17 AM
I realize that the 2020 class is still going for a few more days, but should we go ahead and start the 2021 thread?

This weekend we've got Keys & a few other visiting & Leach is blanketing the state of Texas with offers right now.

Seems like some things to discuss.

Do you think Leach would accept Keys commitment this weekend if Keys wanted to make it or do you think he's going to chase a few others first?

Also, if we are going to take 1 more HS OL, doesn't it make more sense to take Benson instead of Spencer, if they're close in talent, in order to give you a boost with Brevard the WR from Southhaven in 2021?

We've got this QB from Texas coming on a visit. Looks like Peyton Manning on video. I kid you not
https://www.hudl.com/profile/5235693/Daniel-Greek

Keyes is a good looking player as well. Has some Teddy Bridgewater in him. More raw with his footwork than the two Texas QBs though. https://www.hudl.com/profile/9934261/Ty-Keyes

HailStateSZN19
01-30-2020, 10:23 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how the QB recruiting in the '21 class shakes out. Got Keyes & Altmeyer in-state and then Sawyer Robertson from TX that is highly interested in playing for Leach plus the Neuissmeier kid from TX and Daniel Greek also from TX is also coming in this weekend I believe. If I had to pick personally between those options, it's either Robertson or Keyes and who you put at #1 between those 2 would be tough to pick. Robertson can absolutely rip it and is a top 150 kid overall. Keyes ain't far behind him ranking-wise and he can rip it too and is in-state. So, who do you go after the hardest?

FISHDAWG
01-30-2020, 10:24 AM
yes please ..... I don't track these guys or look them up but I do read and enjoy that thread

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 10:30 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how the QB recruiting in the '21 class shakes out. Got Keyes & Altmeyer in-state and then Sawyer Robertson from TX that is highly interested in playing for Leach plus the Neuissmeier kid from TX and Daniel Greek also from TX is also coming in this weekend I believe. If I had to pick personally between those options, it's either Robertson or Keyes and who you put at #1 between those 2 would be tough to pick. Robertson can absolutely rip it and is a top 150 kid overall. Keyes ain't far behind him ranking-wise and he can rip it too and is in-state. So, who do you go after the hardest?

I think Greek looks better on film right now than Keyes. I just don't Altmeyer measuring up to the other guys we are recruiting. Just me

mparkerfd20
01-30-2020, 10:31 AM
We've got this QB from Texas coming on a visit. Looks like Peyton Manning on video. I kid you not https://www.hudl.com/profile/5235693/Daniel-Greek[/url]

Of course I'll have to pay more attention going forward, but from what I know of Leach from casual observation this guy looks the part of what Leach looks for. And yes, he does look like Manning.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 10:37 AM
Just did a quick glance at the video of all 5 QBs & here is how I would rank them.

1A. Robertson - Best overall package. Checks every box. Has height & athleticism.
1B. Neuissmeier - Has unbelievable arm strength. Like top of the scale. Pull up the video. He has an absolute rocket launcher. Right there with Robertson just smaller. https://www.hudl.com/profile/10808541/Garrett-Nussmeier
3. Greek - Very very accurate but doesn't have quite the arm strength & athleticism of the 1st two.
4. Keyes - Has ceiling but raw & needs better footwork. Body also looks more mature than the others.
5. Altmeyer - Would have to be a part of a two QB class for me.

KOdawg1
01-30-2020, 10:43 AM
2021 class is loaded with QBs and WRs. Lots of high quality players for Leach to choose from. In-state crop looks to be pretty solid too.

2020 is essentially done. It feels like we're kinda limping to the finish line, but that's not true. We did most of our work in the early signing period.

So yes, I'm down with starting a new recruiting thread.

Cooterpoot
01-30-2020, 11:01 AM
I'll take Keyes instate and any of those others from out of state after that. Order doesn't matter. They're all good.
Keyes has some connections with other kids instate too. Would be a big get.
Doubt he commits this weekend though. But this is where he wants to be. I'm sure he'll trip to Oregon and he's getting a lot more interest lately, so I could see him waiting til end of summer.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 11:06 AM
I'll take Keyes instate and any of those others from out of state after that. Order doesn't matter. They're all good.
Keyes has some connections with other kids instate too. Would be a big get.
Doubt he commits this weekend though. But this is where he wants to be. I'm sure he'll trip to Oregon and he's getting a lot more interest lately, so I could see him waiting til end of summer.

I'm totally for getting Keyes, but it would be hard to turn down Robertson or Nuss for him. I do like that Keyes has instate connections, but to me Robertson & Nuss are a good bit more polished & better arm talents.

Good to have options.

Cooterpoot
01-30-2020, 11:12 AM
I'm totally for getting Keyes, but it would be hard to turn down Robertson or Nuss for him. I do like that Keyes has instate connections, but to me Robertson & Nuss are a good bit more polished & better arm talents.

Good to have options.

We aren't going to get Robertson IMO. He'll take a lot of visits, but he's not coming here. No idea on the other two but Robertson is looking blue blood hard and his list is long.
We're going to get a ton of looks from a lot of QBs but we aren't pulling a lot of those guys. I know people get excited, and we'll get one here and there, but the top flight guys aren't coming here unless we win big.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 11:14 AM
We aren't going to get Robertson IMO. He'll take a lot of visits, but he's not coming here. No idea on the other two but Robertson is looking blue blood hard and his list is long.

I think there is a good chance you are correct, but Leach offers him something that no one else does & he grew up in Lubbock of all places. I wouldn't completely close the door because we aren't a blue blood.

Obviously the coaches will have more knowledge on if we have a chance or not.

I do agree though, hopefully the coaches won't screw things up with Keyes because they are flirting with guys we won't end up getting. Kind of like us screwing up things with the Tennessee running back Gray because we thought we were getting Emery.

That beings said, recruiting is different in Texas, especially with the type QBs we're recruiting. These kids come from families with some money, go to private schools or wealthy suburban schools. They won't be bought off like some of the recruiting battles we're used to. Most likely they'll make a mature decision based on where they think they will develop the best. I think that helps Leach

Ifyouonlyknew
01-30-2020, 11:47 AM
We're going to get a ton of looks from a lot of QBs but we aren't pulling a lot of those guys. I know people get excited, and we'll get one here and there, but the top flight guys aren't coming here unless we win big.

I think you may be confusing Nuss & Robinson. Nuss has all the blue bloods after him Robinson hasn't so far but I'm sure he will start to get more attention.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 11:52 AM
I think you may be confusing Nuss & Robinson. Nuss has all the blue bloods after him Robinson hasn't so far but I'm sure he will start to get more attention.

Nuss can throw the ball over a damn mountain.

Nuss will likely be more highly recruited due to simply being in the DFW area making it easier for coaches to see him live.

ScoobaDawg
01-30-2020, 03:47 PM
You just did.. If someone else wants to make a thread that they edit and keep up.. go for it I'll pin it separate.. I'm not a huge recruiting guy and don't have time to track it..

Ifyouonlyknew
01-30-2020, 04:21 PM
Corey Ellington FS from Holmes County Central is a kid I could see jumping in the boat soon.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 04:30 PM
Corey Ellington FS from Holmes County Central is a kid I could see jumping in the boat soon.

Would he help us with that 2022 stud there that's committed to LSU?

StarkVegasSteve
01-30-2020, 05:21 PM
So before watching anything I would've said you roll with Keyes because I think he could be developed into a very good QB, but after watching a little bit of film on Robertson...….MY GOD. That kid could've started for us this year. He puts the ball on the money every time he throws it and gets rid of it quickly and accurately.

msu15
01-30-2020, 06:30 PM
I love seeing the length that we we're targeting at WR. It seems like all are at least 6'3".

Ifyouonlyknew
01-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Would he help us with that 2022 stud there that's committed to LSU?

Idk if I'd call him a stud but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

HailStateSZN19
01-31-2020, 11:14 AM
Those are who more football-knowledgeable and know more about the in-state '21 class, where does Buckhaulter rank among the in-state WR crop? He Tweeted out he's coming for an unofficial tomorrow. OM commit. Do we have a shot with him, how does he compare to Brevard/Smith/Harmon/Moore/etc.? Good sized kid at 6'3" 195 lbs.

ShotgunDawg
01-31-2020, 01:08 PM
Those are who more football-knowledgeable and know more about the in-state '21 class, where does Buckhaulter rank among the in-state WR crop? He Tweeted out he's coming for an unofficial tomorrow. OM commit. Do we have a shot with him, how does he compare to Brevard/Smith/Harmon/Moore/etc.? Good sized kid at 6'3" 195 lbs.

Just watched video on these guys and here is how I think they stand.

1. Smith - Top one for me because he has the most twitch and explosiveness. Not sure how LSU already has him surrounded. Incredible that happens in state. Looks like a 5 star. 99-98 type
2. Brevard - Almost as good as Smith but not doesn't quite as explosive with his feet. Not quite as dynamic. Mid to high 4 star. 95-97 type
Minor gap
Moore - Twitchy and long. Light on feet and fast. Real deep threat. Not sure on physicality. Dynamic though. Almost in same class as Brevard and Smith. 93-94 type
Gap
Gap
Harmon - good but looks like a TE. 90-91 type
Buckhalter - Solid low 4 star, high 3 type. Good frame and athleticism. Feet are little heavy to be very dynamic. Could be a Derunnya Type. 89-91 type

Would love for someone to disagree with my rankings and tell me why. I just threw these together off watching 5 min of Hudl

Westdawg
01-31-2020, 05:06 PM
Smith has been an LSU fan his whole life. His dad coaches and had always had him at camps and 7v7s and has done well at getting his son and other kids at Holmes County Central in front of college coaches.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-31-2020, 05:22 PM
Smith has been an LSU fan his whole life. His dad coaches and had always had him at camps and 7v7s and has done well at getting his son and other kids at Holmes County Central in front of college coaches.

You're thinking of Rogers from Holmes County Central not Smith. Smith is from Provine.

KOdawg1
01-31-2020, 05:46 PM
Pull 2 of Brevard, Smith, Moore, and Harmon and it's a win

HailStateSZN19
01-31-2020, 05:50 PM

That'd be a hell of a pull. Hopefully we can make Smith reconsider because I personally like him the most out of the group. But Brevard & Moore sound like a real possibility and that'd be awesome. Smith would be icing on the cake and then add an OOS kid or 2.

ShotgunDawg
01-31-2020, 06:30 PM
That'd be a hell of a pull. Hopefully we can make Smith reconsider because I personally like him the most out of the group. But Brevard & Moore sound like a real possibility and that'd be awesome. Smith would be icing on the cake and then add an OOS kid or 2.

Brevard and Moore would be our best WR class ever

If we got Smith with at least one of Moore or Brevard along with the right QB, and we'd have a chance to be elite

Ifyouonlyknew
01-31-2020, 06:33 PM

I think that's definitely doable I almost want to say expected but I won't go that far right now.

KOdawg1
01-31-2020, 06:37 PM
I think that's definitely doable I almost want to say expected but I won't go that far right now.
I think Moore is ours as long as we want him. Just need to convince Smith to flip back or get Brevard on board

msu15
02-01-2020, 05:36 PM
Paul saying we flipped WR Brandon Buckhaulter from tsun.

KOdawg1
02-01-2020, 06:19 PM
Paul saying we flipped WR Brandon Buckhaulter from tsun.

Good pull. Let's go get Brevard and Moore and air it out. Hell convince Smith to come back too

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Looks like Greek also committed. 2 QB class.

Greek is the one that looks like Peyton Manning to me.

We're about to recruit Texas the best we ever have.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Good pull. Let's go get Brevard and Moore and air it out. Hell convince Smith to come back too

Smith and Brevard gives us playoff caliber weapons.

KOdawg1
02-01-2020, 07:10 PM
Looks like Greek also committed. 2 QB class.

Greek is the one that looks like Peyton Manning to me.

We're about to recruit Texas the best we ever have.

Hard for me to question Leach and QBs, but I would've thought we'd have waited and weighed our options a little more with such good options available. Probably a 2 QB class, but I hope already having a QB committed doesn't hurt our chances with Keyes or Sawyer Robertson. Still, Greek is solid, and like I said, Leach knows what he's doing with QBs so it's hard for me to question it too much.

msu15
02-01-2020, 07:24 PM

Could you imagine trying to guard them 4 at once going out in a pattern.....

KOdawg1
02-01-2020, 07:37 PM
Could you imagine trying to guard them 4 at once going out in a pattern.....

Along with Tulu in the slot. Man

Ifyouonlyknew
02-01-2020, 07:48 PM
Hard for me to question Leach and QBs, but I would've thought we'd have waited and weighed our options a little more with such good options available. Probably a 2 QB class, but I hope already having a QB committed doesn't hurt our chances with Keyes or Sawyer Robertson. Still, Greek is solid, and like I said, Leach knows what he's doing with QBs so it's hard for me to question it too much.

We're taking 2 QB's & I don't see a big time QB being scared away by Greek.

msu15
02-01-2020, 09:28 PM
We're taking 2 QB's & I don't see a big time QB being scared away by Greek.
Exactly. In a 2 QB class rarely do you see it being 2 4 stars, even at Bama.

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 10:37 AM
Jimmy the Greek just committed

Kid is accurate as hell & has a great frame. Not sure how he's only ranked an 84*

BTW, I think Leach is going to kill it at MSU. While I suspected it, I've been pleasantly surprised by how well receive Leach has been both in-state & in Texas.

I think there are many Texas HS kid's who parent's see Leach as their hero, legend coach guy.

Personally I'm beginning to think Leach is the perfect fit for us. He's clearly going to expand our recruiting footprint, & honestly, I believe if you gave Leach & Mullen the same players, Leach wins that game 7 out of 10 times.

This is going to be fun

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjEwNTgzMzA0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTAwNzU2Mw@@._ V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 10:42 AM
Jimmy the Greek just committed

Kid is accurate as hell & has a great frame. Not sure how he's only ranked an 84*

BTW, I think Leach is going to kill it at MSU. While I suspected it, I've been pleasantly surprised by how well receive Leach has been both in-state & in Texas.

I think there are many Texas HS kid's who parent's see Leach as their hero, legend coach guy.

Personally I'm beginning to think Leach is the perfect fit for us. He's clearly going to expand our recruiting footprint, & honestly, I believe if you gave Leach & Mullen the same players, Leach wins that game 7 out of 10 times.

This is going to be fun

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjEwNTgzMzA0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTAwNzU2Mw@@._ V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Kid literally looks like the spawn of Kyle York

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 10:43 AM
Exactly. In a 2 QB class rarely do you see it being 2 4 stars, even at Bama.

I'm not so sure this kid doesn't turn into a 4 star

Ifyouonlyknew
02-02-2020, 12:13 PM
I'm not so sure this kid doesn't turn into a 4 star

He may. I'm saying his name or rating right now isn't going to scare off other big time QB's.

No BS Dawg
02-02-2020, 12:56 PM
Greek is a great get for Leach. Very undervalued with a very high ceiling. May well end up as a high 3* or 4* star when it's over. Like someone said on the general discussion board, if Leach and Cutcliffe want him, that's good enough for me. Welcome to the family, Mr. Greek!

MetEdDawg
02-02-2020, 01:01 PM
For those that have watched film on him, I would be interested to get some opinion on why he's currently ranked where he is.

Rankings mean something, but this early in the game they also don't matter to a degree. Would be interested in an opinion of why he's at where he is.

Ari Gold
02-02-2020, 01:03 PM
The separation between high 3 and almost all 4 star players is minimal at best

Cooterpoot
02-02-2020, 01:06 PM
For those that have watched film on him, I would be interested to get some opinion on why he's currently ranked where he is.

Rankings mean something, but this early in the game they also don't matter to a degree. Would be interested in an opinion of why he's at where he is.

I'd say he's a high 3 star. Accuracy is a little bit of a concern. But lots to work with.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-02-2020, 01:07 PM
I'd say he's a high 3 star. Accuracy is a little bit of a concern. But lots to work with.

Accuracy was good his Soph year. He had an arm injury last year that attributed to his drop in accuracy. I'll be interested to see how he looks at camps this spring & summer going into his Sr season.

Todd4State
02-02-2020, 01:11 PM
Accuracy was good his Soph year. He had an arm injury last year that attributed to his drop in accuracy. I'll be interested to see how he looks at camps this spring & summer going into his Sr season.

And there you go. Sometimes things like injuries have to be taken into account that don't show up in the box score.

Ari Gold
02-02-2020, 01:18 PM
Just my take but
The LEAST of my worries going forward in football recurring with CML here is the QB position. He could be a walkon or 5*

msbulldog
02-02-2020, 01:35 PM

MetEd my guess at least partially is that he plays at a private school and the rankers will discount him because of that without looking further at his measurable's and his films. That why coaches do their own evaluations.

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 01:42 PM

What accuracy issues did you see on his film?

To me that was his biggest strength?

Cooterpoot
02-02-2020, 01:43 PM

He's never completed better than 62% in a season. He didn't perform well at camps and has a lot of INTs. And I'm not criticizing him. Just stating the obvious. I'm glad we got him.

msstate7
02-02-2020, 01:51 PM

Just curious, do you stick with your theory that coach's kids are over ranked?

Todd4State
02-02-2020, 02:16 PM
Just my take but
The LEAST of my worries going forward in football recurring with CML here is the QB position. He could be a walkon or 5*

Same with wide receivers.

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Just curious, do you stick with your theory that coach's kids are over ranked?

I think they usually are, but it's not a hard, fast rule. Usually depends on the notoriety of the coach. The more notable, usually the more they are overrated

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 02:35 PM
He's never completed better than 62% in a season. He didn't perform well at camps and has a lot of INTs. And I'm not criticizing him. Just stating the obvious. I'm glad we got him.

So it's obvious that because he had a 62% completion % & threw some INTs, that he's inaccurate?

I'm not following? Did you watch the film?

Aren't you an outstanding evaluator*

Todd4State
02-02-2020, 03:09 PM
So it's obvious that because he had a 62% completion % & threw some INTs, that he's inaccurate?

High school stats are mostly meaningless for most sports. Most SEC athletes dominate when they are in high school. You have to evaluate skill set.

Cooterpoot
02-02-2020, 03:11 PM

Film won't show you the misses. Just the highlights. He had poor showings at camps too. Again, completion percentage and INTs.
How much of that was injury related is the question. I'm with the others, if Leach and Cut like him, he can't be bad. But is he the top guy for them? Doubtful.

Hambone
02-02-2020, 03:23 PM
Great so we have our ?official 2021 thread? and it?s already three pages long just on one player......

Gonna be a long ass thread. Question Shotgun, do you have an alarm set to ring every time someone replies to something you say? One and a half pages of this is thread is you!

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 03:56 PM
Great so we have our ?official 2021 thread? and it?s already three pages long just on one player......

Gonna be a long ass thread. Question Shotgun, do you have an alarm set to ring every time someone replies to something you say? One and a half pages of this is thread is you!

Well..... it wasn't supposed to be THE recruiting thread when I first posted it.

It was just a normal post where we were discussing the QBs & then they just pinned it to be the recruiting thread.

Sorry I post so much & to be a hindrance to you

Hambone
02-02-2020, 04:49 PM
I understand. When they updated the board they took away who started a thread. Normally I just skip yours but now I have to gamble when I click on a link. It just sucks this is the recruiting thread now.

Turfdawg67
02-02-2020, 04:57 PM
Well..... it wasn't supposed to be THE recruiting thread when I first posted it.

It was just a normal post where we were discussing the QBs & then they just pinned it to be the recruiting thread.

Sorry I post so much & to be a hindrance to you

Could you edit the title? Or get Scooba to do it?

CadaverDawg
02-02-2020, 06:34 PM
Could you edit the title? Or get Scooba to do it?

Done

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2020, 11:45 PM
Done

Thanks bud

ShotgunDawg
02-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Luke Altmyer just committed to Florida State.

Good. I don't think he was the answer for us. I feel like we have much better players on our board.

ShotgunDawg
02-03-2020, 10:19 AM
Isaiah Brevard just got whacked by 247 in their evaluation. Lowered him from a high 4 star to a 90 rated 4 star.

Sheesh

HailStateSZN19
02-03-2020, 10:22 AM
Isaiah Brevard just got whacked by 247 in their evaluation. Lowered him from a high 4 star to a 90 rated 4 star.

Sheesh

Yeah that's whack but honestly IDGAF. This kid is an absolute stud and he's the 2nd best player in the state for 2021, imo. He's barely behind Smith but Brevard is a borderline elite WR and with a year of college coaching, he will be an elite WR. Really hope we pull him plus Moore to go along with Buckhaulter and then grab an OOS WR if we can't pull Smith back in.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-03-2020, 10:59 AM

Sheesh

I don't think he's a 90 closer to a 92. He wasn't a .9732 like his composite had him either. It will all play out.

Commercecomet24
02-03-2020, 01:46 PM
I don't think he's a 90 closer to a 92. He wasn't a .9732 like his composite had him either. It will all play out.

Yep. The kid can play and it'll all work out

Cooterpoot
02-03-2020, 02:27 PM
X

Cooterpoot
02-03-2020, 02:28 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/mr2P8CmN/10-C498-E7-51-D2-454-B-B8-A1-C3-D0-BA349-F8-F.png

HailStateSZN19
02-03-2020, 02:43 PM

Gotta be us with him unofficially visiting this past weekend right? If so, BOOM!!

Ifyouonlyknew
02-03-2020, 02:48 PM
Gotta be us with him unofficially visiting this past weekend right? If so, BOOM!!

He didn't visit this weekend.

HailStateSZN19
02-03-2020, 02:50 PM
He didn't visit this weekend.

Oh really?...... well that's certainly interesting.

KOdawg1
02-03-2020, 02:53 PM

Paul says he's not a take for us. I find that shocking. The kid can ball.

HailStateSZN19
02-03-2020, 02:54 PM

Oh wow....If that's the case, then does that pretty much mean we're all in on Sawyer Robertson? Keyes can sling it himself. Shocked he's not a take.

MetEdDawg
02-03-2020, 02:56 PM

I have a feeling we are about to see a change in QB philosophy with Leach and we really are seeing it now. The days of having to have a dual threat are probably over. It's great if a kid can run. But Leach wants throwers of the football first. And if we want to win that's what his offense HAS to have.

He wants guys that are going to throw it and can think. Not guys that have relied on their feet to get them out of trouble. Guys that use their brain to get them out of trouble and can truly dissect a defense and act quickly. If a dual threat QB fits that mold then great. But Leach is gonna bring in guys who can fling it across the field first that can think their way out of situations.

KOdawg1
02-03-2020, 02:59 PM
Go all in on Sawyer I guess

Ifyouonlyknew
02-03-2020, 03:09 PM

I think this says we're going to make Sawyer say no 1st. Also not being a take today doesn't mean he won't be a take in April.

Irondawg
02-03-2020, 03:14 PM
I will say that I still think a dual threat is important at a place like MSU - we need guys that make something out of nothing sometimes, including with their feet. They don't have to be dynamic - just capable like Dak was.

Cooterpoot
02-03-2020, 03:16 PM
I think this says we're going to make Sawyer say no 1st. Also not being a take today doesn't mean he won't be a take in April.

This. It's not that he's not a take, he's just behind Robertson. I still don't think we pull Robertson. From what was explained to me, he's looking for a bigger spot but likes Leach. He's got some bigger offers too. Of course, he could be behind someone just like Keyes.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-03-2020, 03:19 PM
This. It's not that he's not a take, he's just behind Robertson. I still don't think we pull Robertson. From what was explained to me, he's looking for a bigger spot but likes Leach. He's got some bigger offers too. Of course, he could be behind someone just like Keyes.

I think if/when we get Robertson on campus that we could pull him. I say that because I don't see any of the other bigger programs that's on him recruiting him as hard as MSU. I expect him to visit in March.

DEDawg
02-03-2020, 03:39 PM

Why would both Sawyer and Keyes not be takes now and make Greek wait until April instead?

Cooterpoot
02-03-2020, 03:39 PM
I think if/when we get Robertson on campus that we could pull him. I say that because I don't see any of the other bigger programs that's on him recruiting him as hard as MSU. I expect him to visit in March.

Yeah, I'm waiting to see if he schedules a visit. He's already got several set up and we aren't one of them. Plenty of time but we're behind some schools I think. I'm all for waiting it out.
Either way, hard to question Leach on his type of QB. He's certainly got a specific type.

ShotgunDawg
02-03-2020, 03:49 PM

He's good but he's not Leach's type. Honestly, he's very raw.

Check out my QB rankings on the first page

Ifyouonlyknew
02-03-2020, 05:06 PM
Why would both Sawyer and Keyes not be takes now and make Greek wait until April instead?

I don't think they could've pulled both of them. You can pull Greek & still get a highly rated guy. You're not pulling Keyes or Robertson & still get the other.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-03-2020, 05:13 PM
He's good but he's not Leach's type. Honestly, he's very raw.

Check out my QB rankings on the first page

I wouldn't call him raw at all. You can argue if he's the best fit for Leach.

Cooterpoot
02-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Well, we're down to Robertson now. I think you're going to see a new name pop up after signing day or the next couple weeks.

msstate7
02-03-2020, 05:37 PM
So where is Keyes going?

HailStateSZN19
02-03-2020, 05:40 PM
If it's not us, could it be Auburn? That's been his 2 favorites so far but Auburn already has a QB committed for the 2021 class too.

Could Oregon be a possibility? JoMo offered him here recently and pretty sure Keyes was very high on him. Doubt that would stick with it being so far away but he could go ahead and commit there to have a landing spot and a good one at that. He really fits the JoMo offense better than he does one that throws it 50 times per game.

KOdawg1
02-03-2020, 06:09 PM
So where is Keyes going?
Oregon if I had to guess

ZedFedder
02-03-2020, 06:37 PM
Dave Emerick hinted more good news could be on the way. Wonder if it has to do with the 2021 class?

Cooterpoot
02-03-2020, 07:04 PM
Dave Emerick hinted more good news could be on the way. Wonder if it has to do with the 2021 class?

Juco transfer Cass

MetEdDawg
02-03-2020, 07:19 PM
Juco transfer Cass

What's the deal with this kid? No decent offers. Has good size. What's the word with him?

Leroy Jenkins
02-03-2020, 07:59 PM

Todd4State
02-03-2020, 08:58 PM
What's the deal with this kid? No decent offers. Has good size. What's the word with him?

WR in high school. Fits the hybrid LB/S role in Arnett's defense.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-03-2020, 08:59 PM
WR in high school. Fits the hybrid LB/S role in Arnett's defense.

More CB/S instead of LB/S.

Westdawg
02-03-2020, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking Cass is gonna be a headhunter in this D, and from the looks of his HUDL video, he has some nastiness in him that would fit

msbulldog
02-04-2020, 07:49 AM
Nastiness is good on the football field.

3rdGen
02-04-2020, 09:49 AM
Nastiness is good on the football field.

Yes, count me in as wanting to see more NASTINESS on the field!..... NASTY!!!!!!!!

Lance Harbor
02-04-2020, 09:58 AM
N-A-S-T-Y NASTY BUNCH NASTY BUNCH!

#USM #awful

Yes, count me in as wanting to see more NASTINESS on the field!..... NASTY!!!!!!!!

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2020, 10:06 AM
Make sure you're using the correct recruiting thread to discuss players.

Cass is 2020, not 2021

Jack Lambert
02-04-2020, 10:19 AM
yes please ..... I don't track these guys or look them up but I do read and enjoy that thread

I'm with you.

HailStateSZN19
02-04-2020, 05:43 PM
Does signing Kahlil Benson tomorrow help our standing with Brevard even more? Sounds like he's already really coming around to us with the air raid but are he and Benson close friends or anything?

So we sit pretty well with Brevard and Moore & currently have Buckhaulter committed, is that correct?

Any idea how many WR's we plan on signing for the '21 class, 4-5? Gotta think if we could get all of Brevard, Moore, Buckhaulter, and Smith (sounds like a long shot right now getting Smith back) then we'd take that and then add an OOS or stop at 4. But if we can't reel Smith back in, do we try to get Brevard/Moore/Buckhaulter in-state and then go OOS for 1-2 more?

Cooterpoot
02-04-2020, 07:22 PM
Does signing Kahlil Benson tomorrow help our standing with Brevard even more? Sounds like he's already really coming around to us with the air raid but are he and Benson close friends or anything?

So we sit pretty well with Brevard and Moore & currently have Buckhaulter committed, is that correct?

Any idea how many WR's we plan on signing for the '21 class, 4-5? Gotta think if we could get all of Brevard, Moore, Buckhaulter, and Smith (sounds like a long shot right now getting Smith back) then we'd take that and then add an OOS or stop at 4. But if we can't reel Smith back in, do we try to get Brevard/Moore/Buckhaulter in-state and then go OOS for 1-2 more?

We aren't signing Benson. Missed on both OL we were after. Not a huge deal except we need the numbers.

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2020, 07:52 PM
We aren't signing Benson. Missed on both OL we were after. Not a huge deal except we need the numbers.

Meh. You can get grad transfers if need be. We'll be fine. Numbers don't matter if they aren't good players.

HailStateSZN19
02-04-2020, 07:55 PM
Meh. You can get grad transfers if need be. We'll be fine. Numbers don't matter if they aren't good players.

Agree with this. He probably would have been recruited over honestly, although we do need the numbers, it wouldn’t have mattered if we signed him if he wasn’t going to get on the field for several years or possibly never contribute much. Going to Indiana, he probably gets on the field quickly. This saves a spot to add another grad transfer either WR or LB.

Cooterpoot
02-04-2020, 07:56 PM

We need HS OL, not transfers. We already have the transfer.

Todd4State
02-04-2020, 08:26 PM

To ****ing midwestern schools no less.

Westdawg
02-04-2020, 09:13 PM
I had a player sign with Indiana about 10 years ago. By and large, they've had some decent coaches there. But talent, not so much

msu15
02-04-2020, 10:21 PM

Dylan Spencer was our fault. He should've been signed in December

Cooterpoot
02-04-2020, 10:30 PM

Meh. He had almost no offers til after. He's a raw project and had OM people all around him.
Two schools recruiting him had the same coach to offer him. Two of his offers were from one coach.

Cooterpoot
02-04-2020, 10:36 PM

IN signs kids in MS a lot of years. If Benson signs, they'll have 3 or 4 next year. He was committed to OM. He never really wanted to come here it seems. I'm fine with him going elsewhere.

Todd4State
02-05-2020, 02:29 AM

He emerged during the MS/AL ASG. I can't fault our staff for that. If he ends up signing with Marcus Johnson and chooses a coach over a school I can't fault our staff for a player making a poor choice like that either.

Todd4State
02-05-2020, 02:29 AM
IN signs kids in MS a lot of years. If Benson signs, they'll have 3 or 4 next year. He was committed to OM. He never really wanted to come here it seems. I'm fine with him going elsewhere.

I can't remember Indiana signing a player we wanted though. Ever.

Cooterpoot
02-05-2020, 06:11 AM
I can't remember Indiana signing a player we wanted though. Ever.

We recruited the DL from Bassfield that went there.

Cooterpoot
02-05-2020, 06:14 AM
He emerged during the MS/AL ASG. I can't fault our staff for that. If he ends up signing with Marcus Johnson and chooses a coach over a school I can't fault our staff for a player making a poor choice like that either.

Did he? He's simply a late signing day OL prospect. Everybody takes chances on OL the second signing period. He had three SEC offers and two were by Marcus Johnson who played with his relative. He wasn't a priority for anyone. Just a late recruiting period raw athlete.

ShotgunDawg
02-05-2020, 03:17 PM
So which 2021 recruit has 3rd party handlers?

We can go ahead and cross the off them off our list. Make it easier for everyone.

Ari Gold
02-05-2020, 04:14 PM

This wasn’t a big loss at all ... from what I have been told

StateDawg44
02-05-2020, 04:16 PM
So which 2021 recruit has 3rd party handlers?

We can go ahead and cross the off their list. Make it easier for everyone.

You're trolling at this point. Get this outta here. Sorry your other thread didn't go the way you wanted it to but don't bring it in here too.

Quit being a drama queen.

msu15
02-05-2020, 04:25 PM

Damn well I'm not ashamed to be wrong.

HailStateSZN19
02-05-2020, 04:27 PM

Ari, in Leach's PC today, he really only mentioned OL and ILB as spots we're looking at with our last 3 spots. Are we not going after a grad transfer WR or is that only if someone that we can't pass up on going after pops in the portal?

msu15
02-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Ari, in Leach's PC today, he really only mentioned OL and ILB as spots we're looking at with our last 3 spots. Are we not going after a grad transfer WR or is that only if someone that we can't pass up on going after pops in the portal?

He also mentioned immediate impact athlete.

HailStateSZN19
02-05-2020, 04:30 PM
He also mentioned immediate impact athlete.

Ahhhhh I missed that. Appreciate it! Was hoping we would look to add an immediate impact WR. Hope some real solid options pop up in the portal after spring ball.

Ari Gold
02-05-2020, 05:51 PM

I have just been told by a few they would have been ver6 surprised if the kid from Madison would have ever been a impact here..
I do think we pick up a couple of grad transfers .. and I think they will be players that aren’t in the portal now.

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 12:00 AM
I have just been told by a few they would have been ver6 surprised if the kid from Madison would have ever been a impact here..
I do think we pick up a couple of grad transfers .. and I think they will be players that aren’t in the portal now.

He's only played o-line for one year. From my understanding Leach like to play two full o-lines and we need bodies. Develop as many as we can and process the rest.

The silver lining to Spencer and Benson not signing is in the short term it allows us to have the two spots open for grad transfers which may help us more next year if we can get the right players in.

Down the road we have the MS JUCO system and we also have the grad transfer portal. And I wouldn't be shocked if Spencer came back at some point unless Marcus Johnson stays a lot longer at Mizzou than I expect.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2020, 12:42 PM
He's only played o-line for one year. From my understanding Leach like to play two full o-lines and we need bodies. Develop as many as we can and process the rest.

t.

I can't imagine that's true. That's an awful strategy.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Any leads on any potential WRs entering the transfer portal?

Anyone you realistically hope does?

I notice that Wazzou had 2 JRs get over 500 yards receiving

Davontavean Martin & Renard Bell.

Any chance either of those guys may come?

Martin is from Houma, Louisiana! Bell is from Los Angeles

https://wsucougars.com/sports/football/roster/davontavean-martin/9707

HailStateSZN19
02-06-2020, 01:04 PM
Any leads on any potential WRs entering the transfer portal?

Anyone you realistically hope does?

I notice that Wazzou had 2 JRs get over 500 yards receiving

Davontavean Martin & Renard Bell.

Any chance either of those guys may come?

Martin is from Houma, Louisiana! Bell is from Los Angeles

https://wsucougars.com/sports/football/roster/davontavean-martin/9707

Idk how realistic it is, but my wish list for who would enter the portal is Marquez Stevenson from Houston.

Absolute burner. Gotta be sub 4.45 forty. Has put up some serious stats even last year without King playing. I've been hoping he'd elect to enter the portal since King left. Dude has elite speed and would be EXACTLY what we need in the slot.

He's from Shreveport, LA. Jason Washington coached him on ST his freshman year at Houston. Holgersen and Leach are pretty good pals. There's 2 solid connections. Add in that he could be a legit NFL prospect if he came here and put up some stats in this offense. Go look him up on YouTube and check his highlights. If he gets the ball with just a sliver of space, he can house it pretty damn quick.

https://youtu.be/XUJU7P85gfE

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 01:07 PM
Idk how realistic it is, but my wish list for who would enter the portal is Marquez Stevenson from Houston.

Absolute burner. Gotta be sub 4.45 forty. Has put up some serious stats even last year without King playing. I've been hoping he'd elect to enter the portal since King left. Dude has elite speed and would be EXACTLY what we need in the slot.

He's from Shreveport, LA. Jason Washington coached him on ST his freshman year at Houston. Holgersen and Leach are pretty good pals. There's 2 solid connections. Add in that he could be a legit NFL prospect if he came here and put up some stats in this offense. Go look him up on YouTube and check his highlights. If he gets the ball with just a sliver of space, he can house it pretty damn quick.

https://youtu.be/XUJU7P85gfE

Stevenson & Big Play Tay would be game changers

HailStateSZN19
02-06-2020, 01:16 PM
Stevenson & Big Play Tay would be game changers

I agree. I've already watched Martin and Bell's highlights on YouTube not long after we hired Leach just looking for some playmakers he might be able to bring with him that have some experience.

Tae Martin would be a solid add. He's shifty and pretty quick and has some speed. Bell has some nice highlights too and I'd take either one but like Tae Martin a little more and like you said, he's from Louisiana so he'd be closer to home.

But without question, I'd have to put Stevenson as my #1 on my wish list of who would enter the portal. He's so damn electric with the ball and I wouldn't be shocked if he scratches the high 4.3's running his forty.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 04:37 PM
We have to find a way to start getting some of these recruits in the South that Oregon is getting.

I understand the Nike money & facilities, but our stadium is bigger & Oregon doesn't win at an elite level or have a huge booster network. Is going 2K miles from home really worth cooler uniforms & a slightly nicer locker room? MSU has even produced far better NFL players.

They signed Benson from Greenville St Joe & the DL from Alabama.

Seems like we should be able to beat them on those guys if we get our stuff together

Ifyouonlyknew
02-06-2020, 05:44 PM
We have to find a way to start getting some of these recruits in the South that Oregon is getting.

I understand the Nike money & facilities, but our stadium is bigger & Oregon doesn't win at an elite level or have a huge booster network. Is going 2K miles from home really worth cooler uniforms & a slightly nicer locker room? MSU has even produced far better NFL players.

Seems like we should be able to beat them on those guys if we get our stuff together

Benson had a chance to be a Dawg & Dillon Johnson best him to the punch. I know you're a big MS guy but I'm not trading Marks for Benson.

Cooterpoot
02-06-2020, 05:44 PM

Two guys? Plus Keyes next time? It's not that big a deal.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2020, 05:51 PM
Two guys? Plus Keyes next time? It's not that big a deal.

Certainly not a big deal but when we talk about taking the step from being a top 25 recruiter to a top 20 recruiter, these are the guys that could realistically make that difference

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 06:35 PM
I can't imagine that's true. That's an awful strategy.

What? Playing two offensive lines or developing talent? Both seem like smart strategies to me. The NFL uses eight offensive linemen per game and I'm 100% sure they would use ten if the rosters were larger.

Cooterpoot
02-06-2020, 07:30 PM
Certainly not a big deal but when we talk about taking the step from being a top 25 recruiter to a top 20 recruiter, these are the guys that could realistically make that difference

We don't need Benson and we've already chosen not to take Keyes. Again, we aren't losing anything when we signed a better RB and passed on a QB for one we wanted more.

ZedFedder
02-06-2020, 08:50 PM
Any 2021 recruit y’all could see jumping on board soon?

I’m excited about the possibility of Leach being a better recruiter than we thought. While MSU isn’t the easiest place to recruit to, it’s better than Washington State and Texas Tech.

TALL DAWG
02-06-2020, 08:53 PM
We don't need Benson and we've already chosen not to take Keyes. Again, we aren't losing anything when we signed a better RB and passed on a QB for one we wanted more.

Where are u hearing we have chosen to not
Pursue Keyes. First I?ve heard of this...

sscjr1
02-06-2020, 08:58 PM
Where are u hearing we have chosen to not
Pursue Keyes. First I?ve heard of this...
According to 247 he?s not a take

ScoobaDawg
02-06-2020, 09:22 PM
So when did Sawyer drop from 6th ranked pro to 10th. Drop in the rankings means a good sign for MSU ***

ZedFedder
02-06-2020, 10:04 PM
http://www.hudl.com/v/2CL5Ri

Buckhaulter highlights. Looks like a really good athlete.

BuckyIsAB****
02-06-2020, 10:06 PM
http://www.hudl.com/v/2CL5Ri

Buckhaulter highlights. Looks like a really good athlete.

He is. I think we get him and Smith. Smith was riding the LSU wave but unless they find another freak QB I think he comes here. They are both going to make some wow plays.

BuckyIsAB****
02-06-2020, 10:08 PM
Just watched video on these guys and here is how I think they stand.

1. Smith - Top one for me because he has the most twitch and explosiveness. Not sure how LSU already has him surrounded. Incredible that happens in state. Looks like a 5 star. 99-98 type
2. Brevard - Almost as good as Smith but not doesn't quite as explosive with his feet. Not quite as dynamic. Mid to high 4 star. 95-97 type
Minor gap
Moore - Twitchy and long. Light on feet and fast. Real deep threat. Not sure on physicality. Dynamic though. Almost in same class as Brevard and Smith. 93-94 type
Gap
Gap
Harmon - good but looks like a TE. 90-91 type
Buckhalter - Solid low 4 star, high 3 type. Good frame and athleticism. Feet are little heavy to be very dynamic. Could be a Derunnya Type. 89-91 type

Would love for someone to disagree with my rankings and tell me why. I just threw these together off watching 5 min of Hudl

Harmon is a beast. He may be rated a 90-91 for you but if he played at MC he would be one of the most talked about players in the state.

BuckyIsAB****
02-06-2020, 10:10 PM

He very well may not be. I dont think he can throw it nearly as well as he is getting credit for. I would take him bc he is a good player dont get me wrong, but I think he is one that is going to be heavy into the drama. I think he ends up at Auburn or UF. He is not typically what Leach is looking for in a QB. And its not bc he is mobile

Todd4State
02-06-2020, 10:41 PM
He is. I think we get him and Smith. Smith was riding the LSU wave but unless they find another freak QB I think he comes here. They are both going to make some wow plays.

It would be huge to get him and Isiah Brevard to go along with Buckhaulter.

BuckyIsAB****
02-06-2020, 10:49 PM
It would be huge to get him and Isiah Brevard to go along with Buckhaulter.

Rogers knows Smith pretty well they played 7 on 7 together so we have an in. We just need to show we can throw it around and he will come. Hope LSU doesnt find another Burrow. Smith is the real deal though. One of the best I've seen at WR in a while. Probably an early entry NFL guy

KOdawg1
02-06-2020, 10:54 PM
I think we have a better chance with Brevard than we do with Smith. Still not out of it with Smith though.

Cooterpoot
02-07-2020, 09:21 AM
He very well may not be. I dont think he can throw it nearly as well as he is getting credit for. I would take him bc he is a good player dont get me wrong, but I think he is one that is going to be heavy into the drama. I think he ends up at Auburn or UF. He is not typically what Leach is looking for in a QB. And its not bc he is mobile

He completed 70% of his passes and rarely throws INTs. He's incredible on the deep ball and throwing on the move. And there's no drama. Jesus...the bullshit on this board. The kid wanted to commit to State. We put him on hold behind Robertson. He's not happy about that now, and he's likely going to commit to Oregon. I don't believe that will stick because it's just too far.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2020, 09:41 AM
He completed 70% of his passes and rarely throws INTs. He's incredible on the deep ball and throwing on the move. And there's no drama. Jesus...the bullshit on this board. The kid wanted to commit to State. We put him on hold behind Robertson. He's not happy about that now, and he's likely going to commit to Oregon. I don't believe that will stick because it's just too far.

So we're back to evaluating QBs by completion %?

You're really going to question Leach on this?

HailStateSZN19
02-07-2020, 09:45 AM

Cooter, just curious, how big of a mountain do we have to climb to get Deion Smith back in the boat? Do you think it will take LSU falling off a bit and us making significant jumps in the passing game? Or do you think if we make a big jump passing wise (without worrying about what LSU does on offense) that will be enough to get him back in the boat? I really really have this crazy dream of pulling off him, Brevard, Moore, Buckhaulter, and one or both of Malik Nabers/Christian Lewis.

Just curious how locked in Smith seems with LSU? With Russell & Selmon both going to be here, was hoping we could continue pulling Provine kids here with Smith.

StarkVegasSteve
02-07-2020, 02:50 PM

I understand the want for people on Robertson, but we don't need to let him drag us around well into the fall. Either he commits this summer or you get Keyes. We don't need to play the waiting game and then end up taking a subpar kid cause we waited.

Leroy Jenkins
02-07-2020, 04:19 PM
Leach said he is not going to fly over a good player to take a similar player from another state. We can infer some things from that statement.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-07-2020, 05:57 PM
I understand the want for people on Robertson, but we don't need to let him drag us around well into the fall. Either he commits this summer or you get Keyes. We don't need to play the waiting game and then end up taking a subpar kid cause we waited.

Not many QB's wait to the fall to commit. Most QB's are off the board by early to mid summer.

Madisonmd
02-07-2020, 07:59 PM
Talking to a Hartfield dad, I would contain the enthusiasm on Burkhaulter. Real effort issues.

Madisonmd
02-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Having seen Keyes play, really hard to figure out how he is not a take. Strong arm, great mobility, excellent athlete!

Madisonmd
02-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Keyes is bigger than listed also

Todd4State
02-07-2020, 08:15 PM
Not many QB's wait to the fall to commit. Most QB's are off the board by early to mid summer.

Exactly. If Robertson did that to us we would probably move on pretty quickly.

msu15
02-07-2020, 08:46 PM
Talking to a Hartfield dad, I would contain the enthusiasm on Burkhaulter. Real effort issues.

I'll defer to the evaluations of our staff.

ZedFedder
02-07-2020, 08:53 PM
I'll defer to the evaluations of our staff.

Correct. Schaefer took a flyer on Daphne White, and she didn’t make it to the Spring semester. I think Leach will be the same. No effort, no spot on the team. If they are talented enough, though, you have to take a chance.

bobcat91
02-08-2020, 12:07 AM
And here is one that is sure to make the pro Keyes guys mad. Paul said he was behind Greek as well.

chef dixon
02-08-2020, 08:58 AM
Hell Greek could end up being better than the others. Never know what someone will look like when they hit the field here

timotheus
02-19-2020, 04:35 PM
MJ Daniels info. How solid is his commitment to tsun?

Cooterpoot
02-19-2020, 04:41 PM
MJ Daniels info. How solid is his commitment to tsun?

I wouldn't say solid. He's bout to blow up.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-19-2020, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't say solid. He's bout to blow up.

I think we have a legit shot at him too.

HailStateSZN19
02-19-2020, 05:53 PM
Anything new on Sawyer Robertson? He coming in for a visit during Spring practice?

And how many WR’s are we gonna take and who are some names both in-state and OOS that we need to focus on that are showing early legitimate interest in us?

And what about RB’s? How many are we taking and what’s the run down on Howard from Starkville? Is he the kind of RB Leach likes in his offense or does Leach have a “kind” of RB he likes to recruit for his offense?

Ifyouonlyknew
02-19-2020, 06:11 PM
Anything new on Sawyer Robertson? He coming in for a visit during Spring practice?

And how many WR’s are we gonna take and who are some names both in-state and OOS that we need to focus on that are showing early legitimate interest in us?

And what about RB’s? How many are we taking and what’s the run down on Howard from Starkville? Is he the kind of RB Leach likes in his offense or does Leach have a “kind” of RB he likes to recruit for his offense?

I think we get Robertson.

I think we take 5 WR's. I think it's a little too early to narrow it down.

I think we take another RB. We'll see on if Howard sticks.

ShotgunDawg
02-19-2020, 06:15 PM
I just listened to Lane Kiffin on Dick Cross' show & I don't know how in the world this guy will recruit well without cheating his butt off.

He has no personality. I guess they are going to just buy a ton of players.

timotheus
02-19-2020, 06:18 PM
Sure sounds like a weird cat.

msstate7
02-19-2020, 07:40 PM
I just listened to Lane Kiffin on Dick Cross' show & I don't know how in the world this guy will recruit well without cheating his butt off.

Maybe, but he finished 1st, 3rd, and 1st in cusa recruiting rankings his 3 years there.

Bothrops
02-19-2020, 10:30 PM
Maybe, but he finished 1st, 3rd, and 1st in cusa recruiting rankings his 3 years there.

Location probably helped him achieve that at FAU. CUSA recruiting is atrocious as far as rankings.

1bigdawg
02-19-2020, 11:58 PM

I believe it is better to see how he compared to USF than to C-USA. I know they are in a different conference, but both are G5 schools in Florida. (I would leave UCF out because of their recent success.) Charlie Strong is not know to be a great recruiter and USF out-recruited FAU every year.

msu15
02-20-2020, 01:17 AM

Lawl

Todd4State
02-20-2020, 02:31 AM

We're about to find out how much Coach O helped him at USC and Tennessee.

ZedFedder
02-20-2020, 07:51 AM
We're about to find out how much Coach O helped him at USC and Tennessee.

Great point. Coach O may be the best recruiter in the country.

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2020, 07:58 AM
Great point. Coach O may be the best recruiter in the country.

My theory on O is that coming from the bayou, he'd had the least to lose & was the most willing to cheat.

Also because of his voice, he's able to be memorable to players who get tons of offers & talk to hundreds of coaches.

msstate7
02-20-2020, 08:13 AM
I believe it is better to see how he compared to USF than to C-USA. I know they are in a different conference, but both are G5 schools in Florida. (I would leave UCF out because of their recent success.) Charlie Strong is not know to be a great recruiter and USF out-recruited FAU every year.

Maybe so. I have no idea how good of a recruiter he is, but there's really no evidence of him being terrible at it unless you count this past cycle where he got a late start

ZedFedder
02-20-2020, 07:58 PM
Anybody think we have a chance to get back in it with Deion Smith? He is a big time player.

Cooterpoot
02-20-2020, 10:24 PM
Anybody think we have a chance to get back in it with Deion Smith? He is a big time player.

Not unless LSU drops him.

ZedFedder
02-20-2020, 11:04 PM
Not unless LSU drops him.

Figured so.

Todd4State
02-22-2020, 01:41 PM
My theory on O is that coming from the bayou, he'd had the least to lose & was the most willing to cheat.

Also because of his voice, he's able to be memorable to players who get tons of offers & talk to hundreds of coaches.

I don't know about that. Coach O has some skeletons in his closet from very early in his career that he has overcome and one more major incident like a show cause could very well end it for him. Coach O is very likable and despite people making fun of how he talks let's be real- we all know what he is saying.

Madisonmd
02-22-2020, 05:50 PM
We have had some success in Jackson metro area with players, especially at Provine

ShotgunDawg
02-22-2020, 11:34 PM
We have had some success in Jackson metro area with players, especially at Provine

Unless it's an elite player. Then all our connections & past success with players from that school is thrown out the window.

It's amazing how that happen$

bulldawg28
02-23-2020, 09:20 AM
Unless it's an elite player. Then all our connections & past success with players from that school is thrown out the window.

It's amazing how that happen$

You're not paying attention are you? We get around 50% of the top talent in the Jackson inner city metro area in football.

timotheus
02-23-2020, 10:04 AM
The issue with the majority of these kids is how raw they are football wise and some simply haven't been taught the game well enough that their football IQ is so low that some never make it at the D1 level despite all that ability. A keen eye by whomever is doing the evaluating is key. I trust that the Leach regime will be strong in this area.

ShotgunDawg
02-26-2020, 04:43 PM
Looks like things with Sawyer Robertson are heating up. Visiting soon & it appears his interest is the real deal Holyfield.

Personally, from what I've seen on film, he would be the best passing QB MSU has ever signed, if we ended up signing him.

Kid looks to have Russell Wilson deep ball ability. Throws into the stratosphere & drops it in a bucket

BuckyIsAB****
02-26-2020, 06:20 PM
Looks like things with Sawyer Robertson are heating up. Visiting soon & it appears his interest is the read deal Holyfield.

Personally, from what I've seen on film, he would be the best passing QB MSU has ever signed, if we ended up signing him.

Kid looks to have Russell Wilson deep ball ability. Throws into the stratosphere & drops it in a bucket

Idk what they are teaching at his HS but his dropback is pretty unique. It looks like the 80s and 90s he is almost backpedaling

ShotgunDawg
02-26-2020, 08:14 PM
Idk what they are teaching at his HS but his dropback is pretty unique. It looks like the 80s and 90s he is almost backpedaling

Gun Sling'a mode.

Marino, Montana, Favre, etc didn't give a flip about their drop back. The just got back there & slang it

ShotgunDawg
02-29-2020, 12:31 PM
Sawyer Robertson gets in tonight & leaves Sunday night. May the maroon carpet be rolled out.

Would be huge to get him on board sooner rather than later & get the WRs interested

Ifyouonlyknew
02-29-2020, 01:13 PM
Sawyer Robertson gets in tonight & leaves Sunday night. May the maroon carpet be rolled out.

Would be huge to get him on board sooner rather than later & get the WRs interested

I don't think he commits this weekend but sets the stage for a commitment later in the spring.

ShotgunDawg
03-02-2020, 09:41 AM
Not a done deal yet, but it looks like Leach could be on the cusp of landing what I would think is the highest rated QB of his career.

I'm cautiously optimistic that MSU and Leach may he a perfect time and place type relationship where experience and reputation meet opportunity and potential. MSU is the right place and he's at a point in his career where his reputation and experience is known by all.

Todd4State
03-02-2020, 09:48 AM
Not a done deal yet, but it looks like Leach could be on the cusp of landing what I would think is the highest rated QB of his career.

I'm cautiously optimistic that MSU and Leach may he a perfect time and place type relationship where experience and reputation meet opportunity and potential. MSU is the right place and he's at a point in his career where his reputation and experience is known by all.

I agree and I hope you are right. At the very least if our recruiting isn't great we have a guy that is known for doing more with less on both sides of the ball really.

sscjr1
03-03-2020, 09:17 AM
Paul with the CB for Sawyer Robertson

Todd4State
03-03-2020, 08:37 PM
Paul with the CB for Sawyer Robertson

I think it's a matter of time.

sscjr1
03-03-2020, 08:42 PM
That would be big

Bdawg
03-03-2020, 08:51 PM

Always great to get a big name QB early. Hope he pulls the trigger and other pieces start to fall our way to build around him.

ShotgunDawg
03-16-2020, 08:31 AM
Something to keep in mind:

I think this 2021 recruiting class is going go much slower than we're used to because of this virus.

IMO, this works in our favor as it potentially keeps players from making decision till after they see us play some & gives our coaches more time to develop relationships

Just something to keep in mind

Madisonmd
03-20-2020, 03:28 PM
What is the latest on Ty Keyes?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-20-2020, 05:09 PM

He won't be at MSU unless something goes wrong. He's on Auburn radar. Louisville have stepped up their efforts. As OM misses on more & more targets I think they'll come back around.

Madisonmd
03-20-2020, 05:21 PM
Watched him play this last year. really liked his upside. Good size, big arm, and very athletic. Looks bigger than he is listed

Ifyouonlyknew
03-20-2020, 05:29 PM
Watched him play this last year. really liked his upside. Good size, big arm, and very athletic. Looks bigger than he is listed

He's a very good player we just like others better. He'll be successful somewhere.

Ari Gold
03-20-2020, 07:07 PM

I expect him to end up at Aub if they want him

1bigdawg
03-21-2020, 01:06 PM
I expect him to end up at Aub if they want him

That assumes we get Robertson. If we do not, I expect Ty to be at State.

ShotgunDawg
03-21-2020, 02:18 PM
That assumes we get Robertson. If we do not, I expect Ty to be at State.

I think we're getting Robertson

ShotgunDawg
03-26-2020, 09:23 AM
Interesting idea by the A&M coaching staff.

I see Isaiah Brevard's name on this list. After having success buying off McKinley last year, I expect A&M to continue to attempt to throw money around in the state of Mississippi.

Hopefully, this year's Mississippi recruits are above that

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-am-has-come-up-with-an-ingenious-way-to-recruit-from-home/

ShotgunDawg
03-26-2020, 12:13 PM
Where do we stand with Shazz Pretson?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2020, 01:21 PM
Where do we stand with Shazz Pretson?

Going to be a big battle with LSU. Having his brother develop at MSU would help a lot.

ZedFedder
03-31-2020, 11:37 AM
Emerick tweeted we are getting a commit today. Any idea who it is?

sscjr1
03-31-2020, 12:03 PM
Robertson?

Cooterpoot
03-31-2020, 12:28 PM
Robertson?

Yep

Ifyouonlyknew
03-31-2020, 08:06 PM
I don't think he commits this weekend but sets the stage for a commitment later in the spring.

If only I could do this with the lottery.

HailStateSZN19
03-31-2020, 08:20 PM
If only I could do this with the lottery.

Saw where Witfong from 247 said he’s already been in talks with some WR’s to join the class. Does this help our chances with Theodore Knox? Hopefully he’s been in contact with him.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-31-2020, 08:40 PM
Saw where Witfong from 247 said he’s already been in talks with some WR’s to join the class. Does this help our chances with Theodore Knox? Hopefully he’s been in contact with him.

Can't hurt. We're already in his Top 2-3. Not sure how much they know each other because Knox just moved to Texas last year. He's from Baton Rouge.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 08:44 PM
He's from Baton Rouge.

Of course....

You can't make up how many WRs are from an hour radius of there.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 11:04 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2020, 11:04 PM
How good is Strong the LB from Gulf Coast?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-31-2020, 11:29 PM
How good is Strong the LB from Gulf Coast?

He had a really good year last year. Almost 120 tackles 17.5 tfl & 8.5 sacks. Prototype MLB.

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2020, 08:12 AM
He had a really good year last year. Almost 120 tackles 17.5 tfl & 8.5 sacks. Prototype MLB.

Fantastic!

I'm convinced that if Leach can maintain our traditional defensive recruiting while recruiting better at QB and WR than we have at any point on school history, we're going to win big.

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2020, 09:08 AM
Watching some HUDL film this morning & I really like Kanarius Johnson the WR from Laurel.

He looks to be a really good all around WR & not fools gold.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being better than Brevard. Brevard is bigger, but Johnson is 6'2", quicker, & looks to have lighter, faster feet.

Cooterpoot
04-01-2020, 11:33 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

I'm good with being wrong. Can't get them all right.

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2020, 12:09 PM
I'm good with being wrong. Can't get them all right.

Just playing with you. Thought is was a funny opportunity to take advantage of

1bigdawg
04-01-2020, 01:02 PM
With so many quality wide receivers in the area (MS, AL, LA) and our new recruiting in TX, does anyone think we sign a bunch and the ones who don't breakthrough could become great defensive players?

Cooterpoot
04-01-2020, 01:03 PM
Just playing with you. Thought is was a funny opportunity to take advantage of

I think we're all seeing better recruiting than we expected. We're serious contenders for some damn good players, and not just on the offensive side.

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2020, 01:33 PM
I think we're all seeing better recruiting than we expected. We're serious contenders for some damn good players, and not just on the offensive side.

No doubt. It's exciting. I think we underrated Leach's brand & how accessible his old Tech recruiting base is for us.

If we can just maintain our instate defense recruiting that we've always had with JUCOs, we could have the makings of the best MSU program we've seen in our life times.

I know that is a pretty big statement, but the ingredients make sense.

What's great about Leach is that we don't have to sell recruits on something they can't see. Leach has an enormous track record to sell players & plenty of film, stats, & wins to back it up.

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2020, 01:34 PM
With so many quality wide receivers in the area (MS, AL, LA) and our new recruiting in TX, does anyone think we sign a bunch and the ones who don't breakthrough could become great defensive players?

Hard to say because you never know if an offensive player has any interest in tackling.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-01-2020, 01:38 PM

Yep this staff so far has done better than a lot of people thought they could. Of course they have to sign them but the feedback thus far is really good.

Ari Gold
04-02-2020, 06:41 AM
Over the last 15 years with recruiting under Croom, Mullen, and Joe we always signed and or developed quality guys ( NFL guys) on Defense.. if you want proof check out NFL rosters. On the flip side offensively it’s been less than stellar..

If CML and staff can equal what we normal do on defense in recruiting and development , we know CML will get his guys on offense , this is going to be a really fun...

Ari Gold
04-02-2020, 06:41 AM
Yep this staff so far has done better than a lot of people thought they could. Of course they have to sign them but the feedback thus far is really good.

Agree..

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2020, 09:31 AM
How would you guys ranks the WRs we're after?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-03-2020, 09:52 AM
How would you guys ranks the WRs we're after?

Me personally my 1st tier of guys would be

Deion Smith
Isaiah Brevard
Malik Nabers
Theodore Knox
Keon Coleman

2nd tier

Kanarius Johnson
Tyrese Johnson
Jacobi Moore
James Blackstrain
Keontez Lewis

I don't know if I could turn any of them away if they wanted to commit though.

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2020, 10:03 AM

Deion Smith
Isaiah Brevard
Malik Nabers
Theodore Knox
Keon Coleman

2nd tier

Kanarius Johnson
Tyrese Johnson
Jacobi Moore
James Blackstrain
Keontez Lewis

Just curious, why are you such a big fan of Brevard? Looks a little slow

Ifyouonlyknew
04-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Just curious, why are you such a big fan of Brevard? Looks a little slow

Neither was Bear but his catch radius & leaping ability made him a matchup nightmare. Brevard isn't as tall as Bear but he has that same mismatch ability.

1bigdawg
04-03-2020, 12:20 PM

Deion Smith
Isaiah Brevard
Malik Nabers
Theodore Knox
Keon Coleman

2nd tier

Kanarius Johnson
Tyrese Johnson
Jacobi Moore
James Blackstrain
Keontez Lewis

Do you want to rate our chances on this list (assuming commitable offers)?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Do you want to rate our chances on this list (assuming commitable offers)?

Scale of 1-10

Smith - 3
Brevard - 7
Nabers - 9 if LSU offers 0
Knox - 9
Coleman - 8 if LSU offers 0
K. Johnson - 8
T. Johnson - 6
Moore - 9 if he has a committable offer
Blackstrain - 7
Lewis - 3

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2020, 12:54 PM
Scale of 1-10

Smith - 3
Brevard - 7
Knox - 9
K. Johnson - 8
T. Johnson - 6
Blackstrain - 7
Lewis - 3

I'll take it.

Don't love the number on Smith, but in Leach's offense, having 5 good ones will be awesome.

vv83
04-03-2020, 03:00 PM
Scale of 1-10

Smith - 3
Brevard - 7
Knox - 9
K. Johnson - 8
T. Johnson - 6
Blackstrain - 7
Lewis - 3
Is there a reason we’re not after Harmon? And sucks Smith is so low, was hoping with Joe Brady leaving and us going air raid that would swing him back over to us

Bothrops
04-03-2020, 03:17 PM
Neither was Bear but his catch radius & leaping ability made him a matchup nightmare. Brevard isn't as tall as Bear but he has that same mismatch ability.

Bear could have played in the league because of those abilities. Makes me sick that it wasn't realized.

Bothrops
04-03-2020, 03:27 PM
I'll take it.

Don't love the number on Smith, but in Leach's offense, having 5 good ones will be awesome.

Maybe there will be some change of thought after LSU's big setback, if we have football this year.

KOdawg1
04-03-2020, 03:29 PM
Is there a reason we’re not after Harmon? And sucks Smith is so low, was hoping with Joe Brady leaving and us going air raid that would swing him back over to us
Harmon is OM bound and like IYOK has said, will most likely be a flex TE at the college level

ZedFedder
04-06-2020, 09:52 AM
https://247sports.com/Article/Mississippi-State-Mike-Leach-college-football-recruiting-Texas-priority-145758899/

Saw this article. I can't read it because I'm not a subscriber.

KOdawg1
04-06-2020, 11:12 AM
https://247sports.com/Article/Mississippi-State-Mike-Leach-college-football-recruiting-Texas-priority-145758899/

Saw this article. I can't read it because I'm not a subscriber.

Without giving too much of it away, we're hitting Texas hard.

One kid from Dallas even mentioned that being able to see Dak play for the Cowboys and know that he came from MSU has caused him to become very interested in us.

MetEdDawg
04-06-2020, 06:23 PM
Without giving too much of it away, we're hitting Texas hard.

One kid from Dallas even mentioned that being able to see Dak play for the Cowboys and know that he came from MSU has caused him to become very interested in us.

This is one thing I think Leach can do based on his history. He can maximize the most recognizable football player to ever come out of MSU in some of the most fertile recruiting ground in the country. Dak being in a Texas is a gold mine of exposure for us if we utilize it properly.

Leach is going to do well for us because his name expands our recruiting base, which we 100% have to do. That 4 hour bull crap doesn't build championship programs. Recruiting nationally does. Period. Leach can do that.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2020, 02:08 PM
Who is the better LB at MGCCC: Black or Strong?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-07-2020, 02:52 PM
Who is the better LB at MGCCC: Black or Strong?

Last year on the field it wasn't close Strong was. With Black's physical gifts if he decided to open up his recruitment I have no doubt he'd be the higher more valued recruit.

Ari Gold
04-08-2020, 10:15 AM
Mississippi and Louisiana are both top heavy with WR .. we can now throw TX in there with CML connections there and the 2 QBs we have committed.
There will be plenty of WR to go around... just have to hope that a couple of the 5-6 we sign are SEC talented..

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2020, 10:42 AM
Mississippi and Louisiana are both top heavy with WR .. we can now throw TX in there with CML connections there and the 2 QBs we have committed.
There will be plenty of WR to go around... just have to hope that a couple of the 5-6 we sign are SEC talented..

If you had to guess today, which ones do we sign?

Ari Gold
04-08-2020, 12:16 PM
If you had to guess today, which ones do we sign?

Buckhalter
Knox
Backstrain
Nabors / Coleman ( the one that LSU doesn’t get )
K Johnson

Brevard...maybe not as of today but longer he goes uncommitted better for us.. IMO

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2020, 12:18 PM
Buckhalter
Knox
Backstrain
K Johnson

Brevard...maybe not as of today but longer he goes uncommitted better for us.. IMO

What's the deal with Brevard?

I thought he was leaning to us early?

KOdawg1
04-08-2020, 01:46 PM
Buckhalter
Knox
Backstrain
K Johnson

What about Jacobi Moore?

Ari Gold
04-08-2020, 03:29 PM
What about Jacobi Moore?

Yeah.. like I said there a bunch of WR in the 2 states.. I think we take Moore if we have the room. And how many WR CML wants to take.. I’m guessing we take 5 or 6

Ari Gold
04-08-2020, 03:32 PM
DL is the concern I have in 2021. There just aren’t many guys in our normal recruiting areas...
Hopefully this staff can dip into Texas and Georgia and fill those needs. I’m guessing and hoping we can fill that need in the jucos too..,