PDA

View Full Version : Our WRs are Getting To Work...

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 10:10 AM

OLJWales
01-30-2020, 10:15 AM
What the hell is being tossed to him?

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 10:19 AM

pretty sure tennis balls.

yjnkdawg
01-30-2020, 10:24 AM

Tennis balls from an automatic tennis ball machine.

Jack Lambert
01-30-2020, 10:28 AM
pretty sure tennis balls.

They should use golf ball. Catch that coming at them they will catch a football.

OLJWales
01-30-2020, 10:35 AM
The third toss looks like something different maybe.

Mobile Bay
01-30-2020, 10:36 AM
They should use golf ball. Catch that coming at them they will catch a football.

Or wrenches. If you can catch a wrench you can catch a football.

yjnkdawg
01-30-2020, 10:37 AM

The tennis balls are coming at them at a high velocity speed. The thinking is that if you can focus on catching those tennis balls then it should be easier and help you focus on catching a football better.

Lord McBuckethead
01-30-2020, 10:39 AM
They should do that with their shoulder pads and helmet on.
Just saying, that equipment is going to be there when the football is coming.

yjnkdawg
01-30-2020, 10:39 AM
The third toss looks like something different maybe.

They are coming from a machine. So all are tennis balls.

starkvegasdawg
01-30-2020, 10:50 AM
The tennis balls are coming at them at a high velocity speed. The thinking is that if you can focus on catching those tennis balls then it should be easier and help you focus on catching a football better.

I get the theory behind it, but in a game catching a football is what matters so only practice catching footballs. I don't see our baseball team practice catching or throwing anything else other than baseballs. Our basketball team doesn't have soccer balls out on the court. Practice with what you play with.

Commercecomet24
01-30-2020, 10:51 AM
We used to take bp off tennis balls coming out of a jugs machine in the gym when it was raining. If you've ever done that you know that those balls come out of that machine flat and with serious spin on them. They are hard as heck to square up with a bat and probably not to easy to catch bare handed either. It's a good drill for football or baseball.

dawgs
01-30-2020, 10:56 AM
I get the theory behind it, but in a game catching a football is what matters so only practice catching footballs. I don't see our baseball team practice catching or throwing anything else other than baseballs. Our basketball team doesn't have soccer balls out on the court. Practice with what you play with.

Sarcasm?

Cause if not, I think I'll trust the coach of the most prolific passing passing attack in CFB history to teach guys how to improve their catching abilities.

BeastMan
01-30-2020, 11:02 AM

There are a million drills to improve hand eye coordination which will in fact improve catching a football. There are numerous really good drills for football, basketball, and baseball that improve a skill that have zero to do with actual game play.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 11:06 AM

Yikes

msudawglb
01-30-2020, 11:07 AM

Yeah, I hope there are some missed sarchastericks here. This is a hand/eye drill. It helps your eyes pick up a smaller moving target. And yes baseball players do practice hitting smaller balls, like practice golf balls. It also helps the eyes pick up a smaller moving target.

Duckdog
01-30-2020, 11:10 AM
We used to take bp off tennis balls coming out of a jugs machine in the gym when it was raining. If you've ever done that you know that those balls come out of that machine flat and with serious spin on them. They are hard as heck to square up with a bat and probably not to easy to catch bare handed either. It's a good drill for football or baseball.

I do defensive drills with tennis balls. Boy, its frustrating as hell for baseball players

vindastra
01-30-2020, 11:13 AM

Professional cricketers often use tennis balls in their fielding drills. Tennis balls being light-weight will bounce off of your hands and won't stick to the hands. If you improve your coordination on tennis balls, catching other balls becomes really easy.

coachnorm
01-30-2020, 11:21 AM
I have worked many NFL clinics over the years as additional support. I have been exposed to so many NFL receivers that I have lost count. The most significant bit of information I received, over the years, was vision disciplines. I was educated about how upper tiered receivers actually find the four seams of the football ten yards away from them. The receiver will actually track the spiral rotation of the seams in the nose of the ball in front of the white stripe. When a receiver tracks the ball at that level, the ball appears to slow down. If the receiver just glances at the ball, the ball appears to speed up upon arrival and bounce off the players pads. Also the receiver needs to glide while running his pattern, the body can not bounce on the stepping while running the pattern. The head bouncing causes blurring of the vision, at that level, which causes problems, the tennis ball bounces off the players pads. When I learned this over 20 years ago I used tennis balls to train vision and hand to eye coordination. Catching a tennis ball coming at a receiver 30 yards away is more difficult than a football and this forces more hand to eye coordination. This is nothing new. Thought I'd share with fellow elitedoggers?

dawgday166
01-30-2020, 11:24 AM
Sarcasm?

Cause if not, I think I'll trust the coach of the most prolific passing passing attack in CFB history to teach guys how to improve their catching abilities.

I think so too. The theory is the tennis balls will bounce quickly off the hand if the hands aren't soft and/or the timing of closing the hands at precisely the right moment isn't good.

DogsofAnarchy
01-30-2020, 11:25 AM
You have no idea what you are talking about.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 11:27 AM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/lBlD64lmJByyk/source.gif

Tbonewannabe
01-30-2020, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I hope there are some missed sarchastericks here. This is a hand/eye drill. It helps your eyes pick up a smaller moving target. And yes baseball players do practice hitting smaller balls, like practice golf balls. It also helps the eyes pick up a smaller moving target.

We used to hit practice golf balls (similar to a wiffle ball) with a broom handle. If you can use a broom to hit a golf ball then a baseball bat is huge when hitting a baseball. It makes you focus on hitting more on the sweet spot of the bat.

gtowndawg
01-30-2020, 11:31 AM

We use tennis balls all the time in AAU basketball skills practice. Develops a lot of hand eye coordination. Steph Curry uses tennis balls alot in his dribble drills (ex: dribbling with left hand while catching tennis balls thrown to you with your right and vice versa).

BrunswickDawg
01-30-2020, 11:46 AM
They should do that with their shoulder pads and helmet on.
Just saying, that equipment is going to be there when the football is coming.

They can't wear pads as a part of off season conditioning.

TrapGame
01-30-2020, 12:25 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/Z1Ielk10x5Zg4/giphy.gif

msbulldog
01-30-2020, 01:19 PM

That might kill 'em Jack, if it comes at 60 mph like they said.

Commercecomet24
01-30-2020, 02:01 PM
I do defensive drills with tennis balls. Boy, its frustrating as hell for baseball players

Yep. When i was a kid I spent hours a day bouncing a tennis ball off a wall and fielding it with my glove. Great hand/eye coordination drill

BrunswickDawg
01-30-2020, 02:45 PM
We used to hit practice golf balls (similar to a wiffle ball) with a broom handle. If you can use a broom to hit a golf ball then a baseball bat is huge when hitting a baseball. It makes you focus on hitting more on the sweet spot of the bat.

Some of my family is from Savannah and they grew up playing Half-Rubber, so I learned that when I would go visit. You basically use a broom handle to hit a baseball sized piece of rubber that has been cut in half, so one side is flat. That flat half-ball was incredible training for hitting curves

Dawgology
01-30-2020, 02:50 PM
Or wrenches. If you can catch a wrench you can catch a football.

Highly underrated movie.

Mobile Bay
01-30-2020, 03:15 PM

In an interview Coach Leach talked about using this method for years to improve his players catching abilities. I will take his word and his history of producing prolific passing offences over yours.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2020, 04:44 PM
I can't believe we got a 31+ post thread on video of a player catching tennis balls.

Amazing how our emphasis has changed since we all concluded that last year's off season program was shat

dawggoneit
01-30-2020, 05:22 PM
Jerry Rice preferred bricks!

Todd4State
01-30-2020, 05:35 PM
Kerry Rice preferred bricks!

We can throw bricks at our guys too.

dawgday166
01-30-2020, 05:45 PM
I can't believe we got a 31+ post thread on video of a player catching tennis balls.

Amazing how our emphasis has changed since we all concluded that last year's off season program was shat

I sorta SMH at folks questioning Leach's training techniques on this. His offenses lead the nation in passing every year and his 2 and 3* receivers catch the ball. And they make exceptional catches quite often while doing that.

TUSK
01-30-2020, 08:33 PM
Julio Jones did a video on this kinda thing...

https://youtu.be/DqNfzDPrg0I

codeDawg
01-30-2020, 08:59 PM
I think so too. The theory is the tennis balls will bounce quickly off the hand if the hands aren't soft and/or the timing of closing the hands at precisely the right moment isn't good.

Not really that the hands need to be soft, but that the fingers need to be strong. Fingers catch balls, not palms.

That?s why these are a thing:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMHBJ7W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PL4mEb3MDWBR0

Joebob
01-30-2020, 10:10 PM
There are a million drills to improve hand eye coordination which will in fact improve catching a football. There are numerous really good drills for football, basketball, and baseball that improve a skill that have zero to do with actual game play.

I used to toss my mom?s dinner glasses in the air in the kitchen. I learned how to focus really quick. Made quite a difference, not just in football, but in other sports as well.

dawgday166
01-30-2020, 10:19 PM
Not really that the hands need to be soft, but that the fingers need to be strong. Fingers catch balls, not palms.

That?s why these are a thing:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMHBJ7W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PL4mEb3MDWBR0

You right. Posted that before I actually thought thru how I actually do catch a ball. Then went and tried it to be sure. It's always been instinctive to me and no one ever "taught" me that I can remember. I've always had pretty good hands, or whatever .. fingers I guess.

In any event tho I think Leach probably is pretty good at training his WRs.

RougeDawg
01-30-2020, 10:50 PM

Hope this is a joke. Doing drills like this are the very thing that will help our players and apparently the reason we have had bad WR play and more drops than anyone else in division one.

Baseball teams do drills like this all the time. We used to hit soft toss with small olastic golf balls with a thunderstick. Made a baseball with a baseball bat look like a beach ball.

RougeDawg
01-30-2020, 10:57 PM
We can throw bricks at our guys too.

They could just get the basketball team to have a joint practice if they want bricks thrown at them.

CoachT14
01-30-2020, 11:52 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/QWqH7oRfHwVKwb8YDL/giphy.gif

Someone has never coached a sport.

TXDawg
01-31-2020, 10:42 AM
Just for fun, I did the math. Spring practice opens early March. If we assume the video wasn’t posted the first day he started the routine, it’s reasonable to assume he has 40 days to reach his goal of 15,000 catches. That’s 375/day (not counting drops).

That’s putting in work!

PendingTransaction
01-31-2020, 04:34 PM
After they catch the 15,000 tennis balls, they have to catch 1500 BBs shot from a Daisy Red Ryder!

Mobile Bay
01-31-2020, 05:16 PM
After they catch the 15,000 tennis balls, they have to catch 1500 BBs shot from a Daisy Red Ryder!

No, we don't need them to have their eyes put out.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-01-2020, 08:54 AM

Our baseball team, and probably all MLB teams, uses hitting tees. And they don't play T-ball. And football teams use tackling dummies, cones, blocking sleds, etc. None of those things are allowed in games. Every sport practices with things they don't play with. I can't think of one sport that doesn't honestly.

Walkerhill
02-01-2020, 09:11 AM
No, we don't need them to hxave their eyes put out.

Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast. I would catch it! - Drax

softballfanatic1
02-01-2020, 10:31 AM
When my daughter was playing travel softball, we used skittles, practice wiffle golf balls and tennis balls for catching drills. All 3 are difficult to catch. This trains dexterity, concentration, spatial awareness, muscle control, depth perception and EYE/hand coordination.

Todd4State
02-01-2020, 10:41 AM
When my daughter was playing travel softball, we used skittles, practice wiffle golf balls and tennis balls for catching drills. All 3 are difficult to catch. This trains dexterity, concentration, spatial awareness, muscle control, depth perception and EYE/hand coordination.

I've seen Albert Pujols use gum. During a game no less!

softballfanatic1
02-01-2020, 10:49 AM
Yep, google sports vision training. It?s crazy what especially MLB players are doing to train their EYE/hand coordination, reaction time and depth perception. Not to pick on the guy who said just catch footballs but there?s so many drills that improve skills

Mjoelner34
02-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Yep. When i was a kid I spent hours a day bouncing a tennis ball off a wall and fielding it with my glove. Great hand/eye coordination drill

Same here Commerce. Ended up being a damn good fielder at 1st base on grounders and picking low throws. Couldn't hit worth a shit though.