01-29-2020, 10:25 AM
7-spot jump.

Next few games:
Tenn #63
At Kentucky #24
Vandy #163 (gross)
@ OM #107
@ ark #28

If we could go 4-1 in this stretch, we can start thinking seeding. I think it's possible too bc ark has no answer for Perry, but can't slip up vs tenn and at OM

BeastMan
01-29-2020, 10:40 AM
Let’s go beat Kentucky’s ass and put the conference on notice

Ari Gold
01-29-2020, 11:15 AM
Let’s go beat Kentucky’s ass and put the conference on notice

If Ado and Perry can stay out of foul trouble , that game will be very interesting

Ari Gold
01-29-2020, 11:19 AM
7-spot jump.

Next few games:
Tenn #63
At Kentucky #24
Vandy #163 (gross)
@ OM #107
@ ark #28

If we could go 4-1 in this stretch, we can start thinking seeding. I think it's possible too bc ark has no answer for Perry, but can't slip up vs tenn and at OM

@OM, @Texas AM @Mizzu @USCe ... have to go 2-2 really need to go 3-1... but it’s extremely hard to win on the road in SEC play..

gtowndawg
01-29-2020, 11:21 AM
Can't blow any games at this point. 3-2 is an absolute bare minimum must, 4-1 is really needed though.

BrunswickDawg
01-29-2020, 11:27 AM
If Ado and Perry can stay out of foul trouble , that game will be very interesting

I can't watch that game - we've seen it play out too many times before.....

That being said - every game on the remaining schedule is winnable. Let's make some noise.

Pipedream
01-29-2020, 11:51 AM
TeamRankings has us at 80% to make the Big Dance. Warren Nolan has us projected to go 13-5 inside the league (22-9 overall). The fan base needs drop this entitlement bullshit about the basketball team and come out and support them.

StarkVegasSteve
01-29-2020, 12:49 PM
TeamRankings has us at 80% to make the Big Dance. Warren Nolan has us projected to go 13-5 inside the league (22-9 overall). The fan base needs drop this entitlement bullshit about the basketball team and come out and support them.

Some can't do it because there's this preconceived notion that the women play harder than the men so that's who they're going to support.

chef dixon
01-29-2020, 12:54 PM
Its frustration with our team is understandable. We have the guys on the roster to just straight bully teams like 2018 UT. Getting it together late is still better than never. This is probably the most vulnerable UK has been to us in a while.

Pipedream
01-29-2020, 01:30 PM
Some can't do it because there's this preconceived notion that the women play harder than the men so that's who they're going to support.

I think those people can be classified as "morons". They think they play hard because they play well and win. They aren't intertwined. The mens game is far more competitive than womens. And I don't give a shit, womens basketball is boring as hell. No offense, I'm glad they're successful. I think Vic is a great coach and all of that, but I don't attend games because the entertainment value sucks. Just for you folks on Vics nuts, he's got the same number of national championships as Howland and one less final 4 trip.

BrunswickDawg
01-29-2020, 01:54 PM
I think those people can be classified as "morons". They think they play hard because they play well and win. They aren't intertwined. The mens game is far more competitive than womens. And I don't give a shit, womens basketball is boring as hell. No offense, I'm glad they're successful. I think Vic is a great coach and all of that, but I don't attend games because the entertainment value sucks. Just for you folks on Vics nuts, he's got the same number of national championships as Howland and one less final 4 trip.

Keep in mind too that some of those same fans have a very unrealistic view of how successful we were in the 90s and 00s. Outside of 3 seasons, we are the exact same program now that we were then - a talented, inconsistent, bubble team that with the right breaks can take Kentucky to the mat one night and lose to a bad mid-major three days later. Some years that worked out for us, some it didn't. That is also what most teams in the country are that don't have Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas on the front of the jersey.

People also forget how seasons - even great seasons - can look lost until a team hits a run. 1991 we had 5 losses (3 SEC) before we beat LSU in late January and went on a run; 1996 we started out 3-4 in SEC play, then hit our stride.
That works in reverse too - in 2012 we looked like a lock at 17-4, then went 4-6 down the stretch.

JPdog
01-29-2020, 01:56 PM
Some can't do it because there's this preconceived notion that the women play harder than the men so that's who they're going to support.This x1000. These people make me so incredibly mad.

StarkVegasSteve
01-29-2020, 02:16 PM
Keep in mind too that some of those same fans have a very unrealistic view of how successful we were in the 90s and 00s. Outside of 3 seasons, we are the exact same program now that we were then - a talented, inconsistent, bubble team that with the right breaks can take Kentucky to the mat one night and lose to a bad mid-major three days later. Some years that worked out for us, some it didn't. That is also what most teams in the country are that don't have Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas on the front of the jersey.

People also forget how seasons - even great seasons - can look lost until a team hits a run. 1991 we had 5 losses (3 SEC) before we beat LSU in late January and went on a run; 1996 we started out 3-4 in SEC play, then hit our stride.
That works in reverse too - in 2012 we looked like a lock at 17-4, then went 4-6 down the stretch.

A lot of people also have to realize how much better the SEC is nowadays. First off the coaching is 1000x better. We replaced Tony Barbee, Donny Tindall, John Pelphrey, and Trent Johnson with Bruce Pearl, Rick Barnes, Eric Musselman, and Will Waide. The second thing is that there's no more divisions. I think some people are trapped in an illusion that were so successful under Stansbury because of the Western Division championships he won. We got to beat up on the West most years and it would inflate our records. Those were also the games that Stans would inexplicably lose one or two of that would keep us out of the tournament or have us teetering on the bubble. Overall, this is just a much tougher league than it was 10-12 years ago. Those days you really only had to get up for 6-10 games a year in conference. Nowadays you can and will get beat any night if you don't bring your A game.

BrunswickDawg
01-29-2020, 02:53 PM
A lot of people also have to realize how much better the SEC is nowadays. First off the coaching is 1000x better. We replaced Tony Barbee, Donny Tindall, John Pelphrey, and Trent Johnson with Bruce Pearl, Rick Barnes, Eric Musselman, and Will Waide. The second thing is that there's no more divisions. I think some people are trapped in an illusion that were so successful under Stansbury because of the Western Division championships he won. We got to beat up on the West most years and it would inflate our records. Those were also the games that Stans would inexplicably lose one or two of that would keep us out of the tournament or have us teetering on the bubble. Overall, this is just a much tougher league than it was 10-12 years ago. Those days you really only had to get up for 6-10 games a year in conference. Nowadays you can and will get beat any night if you don't bring your A game.

The early 00s were pretty stout too - with the SEC consistently getting 6 teams in every year, but I think your point is that the league is deeper now (and it is). I think people also need to look at the history of the league over the past 30 or so years too. Outside of Kentucky, no one has been able to sustain a long run of success that transitioned from 1 coach to the next. Every team has been up and down during that period - not just us.

PGHBulldogBG
01-29-2020, 03:02 PM
We got a nice win last night, but comparing this team right now to our women?s program is laughable. Vic has taken a traditional horrible SEC women?s program and made them a top 5 national program over the last 4-5 years. He ended UConns run and took us to two national titles. Howland has taken a lower mid level SEC program and made them mid level with top 20-25 talent. Vic is a much better coach than Howland and his team deserves most of the support right now. I am not saying don?t support then men and I hope I am proven wrong and we make a championship game, but I understand why fans make the women the priority.

Maridian Dawg
01-29-2020, 03:35 PM
I can understand the frustration with the team, but where were these fans during football season this past year? 2019 football was 10x more frustrating than our men's basketball team.

Maridian Dawg
01-29-2020, 03:38 PM
I also can't watch women's basketball. It's sooooo boring. And if I turn on a game, and beth mowins is on the call, then I'm damn sure not watching it. The men's game has so much more energy and flow to it.

StarkVegasSteve
01-29-2020, 03:40 PM
We got a nice win last night, but comparing this team right now to our women?s program is laughable. Vic has taken a traditional horrible SEC women?s program and made them a top 5 national program over the last 4-5 years. He ended UConns run and took us to two national titles. Howland has taken a lower mid level SEC program and made them mid level with top 20-25 talent. Vic is a much better coach than Howland and his team deserves most of the support right now. I am not saying don?t support then men and I hope I am proven wrong and we make a championship game, but I understand why fans make the women the priority.

Yet that's exactly what you're doing. Comparing them. You can't compare men's and women's basketball at the college level. 25-30 teams invest anything at all in women's basketball and everyone loses money.....yes even us. Jared Benko confirmed that back in December. 100-150 teams invest HEAVILY in men's basketball and it makes money hand over foot. The competition is better and the coaching pool is deeper. And how do we know Vic is a better coach than Howland? Have we seen him coach a men's game? I haven't, but maybe I missed when he led a school to 3 straight Final 4's. I didn't miss when Howland did that.

R2Dawg
01-29-2020, 04:16 PM

Yep, UK is ripe for our pickin this year.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2020, 04:26 PM
I don't think anyone is saying to support the women less. Id just like the men to get adequate support. I've always admired the fact that MSU fans were diehard supporters of their sports programs especially when they were winning. The men's team however hasn't gotten that & fans have given 100 excuses why it won't support. Just disappointed.

R2Dawg
01-29-2020, 04:26 PM
I also can't watch women's basketball. It's sooooo boring. And if I turn on a game, and beth mowins is on the call, then I'm damn sure not watching it. The men's game has so much more energy and flow to it.

Our girls are not boring IMO. They play hard and smart most of time and are very skilled. I agree many of the WBB teams can be hard to watch, but I've seen our MBB be real hard to watch at times too. The women's announcers are too biased to me; they don't hide who they want to win; that is annoying.

OLJWales
01-29-2020, 04:34 PM
To me, if they're wearing maroon and white and winning, there's nothing that comes close to boring about that.

I get jack for women's and men's. I got jacked when we won the SEC in tennis a while back. Just win baby.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Our girls are not boring IMO. They play hard and smart most of time and are very skilled. I agree many of the WBB teams can be hard to watch, but I've seen our MBB be real hard to watch at times too. The women's announcers are too biased to me; they don't hide who they want to win; that is annoying.

Our girls in particular aren't hard to watch but the women game overall is to a lot of people. We love watching our girls because they're winning but it's a reason why women's basketball college & WNBA aren't watched much.

AROB44
01-29-2020, 05:18 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ifyouonlyknew again.

Coach34
01-29-2020, 06:57 PM
SEC Network and ESPN games have hurt attendance as much as anything. We couldnt see every game on TV 10 years ago- now we can. People arent going to drive 2 hours to be at the game like they used to because now they can watch it on TV.

We are paying the price of our Mississippi leaders 150 years ago putting our school in the middle of nowhere. No need to spend the money and time driving for basketball- especially on a weekday when you can watch on TV.

MarketingBully
01-29-2020, 07:08 PM

We keep playing up to our potential and 13-5 is very possible.

dawgday166
01-29-2020, 07:16 PM
I don't think anyone is saying to support the women less. Id just like the men to get adequate support. I've always admired the fact that MSU fans were diehard supporters of their sports programs especially when they were winning. The men's team however hasn't gotten that & fans have given 100 excuses why it won't support. Just disappointed.

Maybe the fans do need to support the men better, but some of the argument is why do we like watching the women play more than the men. It's cause under Vic they tend to play hard and relentless for 40 min, play stellar D all the time, and share the basketball. They mostly play egoless. And they don't back down from anyone either. I do realize the competition level in women's hoops isn't the same tho. But a few years ago the women's hoops were cellar dwellers too.

The men ... last night in 2nd half was good but they aren't very consistent with that level of play. And FL ain't that great a team. I do see flashes where I think Howland is working on it, and I'm sure he is. Sometimes players need a boot in the butt tho.